Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I just got a new job and I get an hour for lunch. There's a Gym literally 1 minutes walk from the site, which makes me think maybe I can squeeze in my sesh during lunch break and get a good packed meal and shake in after.

How long does your workout take? Is it a good idea to lift during lunchbreaks? Anyone had experience doing this?

are you not going to sweat ?

assumedly id shower in the lockeroom if time permits, but I'm not sure if it would lol, ive no idea how long a decent workout takes

depends, but if you're going daily, do alternating muscle groups and stretching you should be able to do an hour. What about eating though?

obviously do cardio elsewhere at another time (run in the morning or at night)

My workouts usually last between 60 and 90 minutes because I'm a uni student with all the time in the world.
As far as I can tell, the average workout lasts around 75 minutes. My advice is not to do your workout in the 30 minutes you'll have available besides showering and eating.

sounds like an inefficient use of time. Workout -> shower -> eat and get back in 1 hour?
Do you HAVE to take an hour for lunch? Can't you just leave earlier?

You're not going to make it.

Even if your workout is pretty short you have to account for other factors that could delay you (equipment being used for example).

You need at the minimum 90 minutes because I assume you must shower to go back to work afterwards.

You can, just be super efficient in your work out. 45 min work out + 5 min shower. It's short but definitely doable. Lots of business guys go on their lunch break while I was working out in HK business districts.

You could try some quick rest-pause training

Maybe use it only for HIIT? An actual routine would seem too long I think if you want to shower.

Eating and showers can both be done in 5 minutes but if we assume 10 minutes each for them you still have 40 minutes.

It comes down to how full the gym is and how well you manage your time. I've never been to the gym at midday but I've always thought most people go after work so it might be surprisingly empty.

I don't understand why you're not going in after or before work tho.

Take another 10 minutes for 5 minutes going to the gym and then going back to work. 5 minutes for warm-up. 5 minutes for stretching. 5 minute weight for the squat rack. 5 minutes whiping down the squat rack, loading the weights. 5 minute prayer to zyzz, and rich. 4 minutes configuring workout music playlist. 1 minute flex a 'cep.

You can honestly rip a workout in 30 minutes. No rest, no bullshit, no checking your phone, 30-60 second rests and just tearing ass.

5/3/1

On Saturdays I have a 2hr lunch break(work a total 11 hrs) and I go to the gym nearly every time.
>leave work 12pm noon
>10 min drive
>5 min get in, changed, pee
>no cardio warm up, straight into lifts
>~~60min to work out
>shower, change, drive back to work
>maybe 5 or 10 mins to spare to make a brotein shake and get a couple snacks in

It's easy for me to eat during work so I munch down on whatever I pack for the day, throughout the day. Working out in between my shift makes me feel energized and refreshed and less like killing myself when I have to go sit at a desk and meet clients for 6 more hours. Not sure if you'll get anything good done with your amount of time though, since you definitely want to shower and get presentable for work.

Can you maybe ask for a longer lunch and stay longer after hours?

I don't know what job you have, but if your boss is nice maybe ask for a extra 30 min, and stay and extra 30 min at the end of the day.

any workout is better than none. Run to gym, lift for 40minutes, shower and go back to work.

You can but you'll have to adapt (see : no 5*5 with 5 minutes rest lol)

And go very fast for your shower

If no cardio no shower

I know a geezer who runs around the inner city and the local parks on his lunch break but I'm not sure how/if he showers.

Just do some cardio with some core work. Trying to squeeze a meaningful workout into a lunchbreak alongside food, getting to/from and changing as well as showering isn't going to work.

I personally never like to be rushed when I'm working out. I like to be able to enjoy my time, not be rushing around trying to get it done and constantly watching the clock.

Did that while I was working for two years at a company which had an own gym for employees, it was great. I'd eat some chicken sandwich at the desk for late breakfast, hit the gym for 45 minutes (showering afterwards), then eat some protein bar back in the office.
Made real good progress and it was great to come home and being done with work AND sports.

This.

Getting a quick cardio workout (~30mins) plus some core exercises will fit perfectly

Is cardio really that important ? I started hitting the gym in June - never did cardio, i just go, stretch for a bit, warm up the muscles and then i start lifting, after which i go home. I work all the muscle groups in 5 days, then 2 days break.

Just get up an hour and a half earlier than you normally would and go lift you idiot. This will also make you MUCH more energized in the early morning and makes work ethic look great to your boss and everyone else.

Depends what your goals are. I've spent most of my life avoiding cardio and just lifting, mainly because I've always been shit at it. Want to get into it a bit more now for health reasons and because it'd be a boon with work.

not really. you need to get enough exercise, but it has never been proven anywhere that you need to do long slow distance cardio to be healthy.

I have a gym at work and I typically do my compounds on my lunch break and head to my normal gym to do accessories after work
Saves me time.

Exactly this is why i don't do it - i suck at it. I know you get better if you keep running but i still hate it.
i feel like i get plenty of exercise from lifting. Especially when i do my deadlifts, i sweat and breathe like crazy after those.

I did this with college, had an hour so could only fit a quick half hour workout, leaving 5 mins to change into gym gear, and 20 to shower and change, and 5 mins in case it ran over
Streawful, but better than nothing.

If you want to be stinky and sweaty for the rest of your shift, sure...

Remember to take into consideration the time it takes you to get changed before and after the gym. Also the time to eat your lunch and shake... Then you always want to get back to work 5 minutes early.

You'll end up with 30 minutes lifting time. Which can be enough if you're on bro split.