Can I improve my squat by just doing dumbbell front squats and keep upping the reps?

Can I improve my squat by just doing dumbbell front squats and keep upping the reps?

At what point would I have to go to a gym and use a proper bar to start increasing the weight?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/operator_precedence
d22izw7byeupn1.cloudfront.net/files/styleguide-pr.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the american education system

As a stemfag this image triggers me more than a white dude raping a black muslim transgender lesbian girl would trigger a feminist.

Unless you are lifting like 50 lb dumbbells or are incredibly unathletic, just go to a gym and start with the bar.

Not sure if just cuz am baked. But neither of those answers are right, right?

1 is correct.

Right answer is 1. If there's no fucking parentheses then it's just the order in which it occurs

No its not. First distribute the five then put that in the denominator under 20.

Its ambiguous, this is why there should be brackets to clarify what the 20 is divided by.

the problem is just written poorly. if you interpret it as 20 ÷ 5 * (2*2) then the answer is 16

but if you interpret it as 20 / (5*(2*2)) then the answer is 1.

any real math textbook will have the question written unambiguously

>It's 16 if you do 20/5 before you * by 4
>Its 1 if you do 5x4 then 20/20
Which is right?

16 not 1 i mean my bad

the fact that it is a / and not a ÷ should be enough to tell that it's 1. imagine it as a fraction. and there's no reason to distribute the 5 since it's a straightforward solution.

The notation in the example is correct and unambiguous. The only time an expression’s notation is sloppy is when an elementary division sign is used. You can not argue a different answer when you use a slash or fraction bar to represent division. The teacher is simply retarded and should of wrote the expression differently to communicate her point.

16 is correct because 5 * (4) isn't explicitly defined as the denominator.

Computers require brackets to delineate this or else they interpret it as a string of multiplications where order doesn't matter. I.e., a computer looks at that equation and evaluates it as 20 * 0.2 * 4 and could do the 0.2 * 4 operation first.

i dont do math

to me its 1

>common core maths

If you typed that equation into a calculator as is you would get 16. If it was supposed to be one you’d have to type it as 20/5/(2*2). If you use the slash you have to make it obvious which part is the denominator.

>The notation in the example is correct and unambiguous
t. has never done any real math
In any properly formatted text, divisions are written like fractions, not on the same line.
In any poorly formatted text (coding, etc), parenthesis are abused because nobody gives a shit about remembering arbitrary orders of operations.

Its badly written.
20 fifths times 4 is 80/5 which is 16.
if you say
20/5*4 you would be implying youre multiplying 4 with the denominator which is barbaric as shit given the expression.
That's why you write fractions in a numerator - denominator form , to avoid this type of confusion.

>common core
Immediately dismissed.

Remember BEDMAS

These retards are an example of why not to skip brain day (everyday).

1 is literally one of the acceptable answers. It's ambiguous because whoever wrote the question should have used brackets to specify. Without them it's impossible to say. Like these anons said the question is written incorrectly.

The question is written poorly, but in the order of operations you go left to right with multiplication and division. So 20/5 is 4, times (2*2) is 16. This is the only acceptable answer given the way it is written.

"...there can be ambiguity in the use of the slash symbol / in expressions such as 1/2x.[6] If one rewrites this expression as 1 ÷ 2x and then interprets the division symbol as indicating multiplication by the reciprocal, this becomes:

1 ÷ 2 × x = 1 × ½ × x = ½ × x.
With this interpretation 1 ÷ 2x is equal to (1 ÷ 2)x.[1][7] However, in some of the academic literature, multiplication denoted by juxtaposition (also known as implied multiplication) is interpreted as having higher precedence than division, so that 1 ÷ 2x equals 1 ÷ (2x), not (1 ÷ 2)x. For example, the manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash,[8] and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics.[nb 1]"

Fucking brainlets. It is a shitty way of writting it, but the answer is still 1 due to aforementioned reason.

Pretty sure they teach PEMDAS in like 4th grade.
1. Parentheses
2. Exponents
3. Multiplication
4. Division
5. Addition
6. Subtraction

In that order. 2*2 first because it's in the parentheses, so it becomes 20/5(4). The next thing is multiplication (because there are no exponents), so it's 20/20. 20/20 is 1.

Fucking brainlet. See

Even though common core literally has the right answer.

No. See

It's PEDMAS not PEMDAS you dolt
Division always comes first

No. Tell me why would that be the case when it would break the pattern (see how substraction comes after addition)?

brackets
exponents
multiplication/division
addition/subtraction
Left to right

That's what we learned (Canada)
So 20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
4(4)
/ is treated the same as a division symbol if I remember correctly, but then again I never ran into that problem because I always made sure to bracket anything that was order sensitive

brackets solved first
so 20/5*4
that's literally a fifth of twenty, then multiplicate 4. So, 16. The only acceptable answer.
We have no indications suggesting that the whole `5(2*2)' is intended to be the divisor of 20. If that was the intended purpose, the dumb teacher should have written `20/[5(2*2)]`
Poor attempt at yet-another fit-unrelated thread (OP question is painfully idiotic, almost as much as his troll pic)

see

all these nerds and there theories, while i smash out the answer

No. Any scientific calculator will confirm you this. A division is a multiplication, and Americans are retarded. News at 11

Mate they're pairs. Its PE and MD and AS, you group them in importance. In a series you just do them in the order they appear.

meant as reply to

>thinking a calculator will make more sense than fucking top tier mathematicians and physicists

You know calculators approximate right (usually with Taylor if Iremember well)? Not that it is related to this topic, but just felt like showing you how dumb you are by trusting a calculator blindly.

Now if you want to be extra autistic, you could say those symbols do not mean shit until properly defined prior to presenting the problem, but if that is the case, then those are not equally valid. They are not even wrong. They are meaningless as operators have not been defined yet.

Go kys.

>order of operations thread number #48298292482975
I'd like to think we'll still be arguing about this 20 years later

Idk if they’re trolling or are fucking moronic.
Brackets first (2*2) = (4)
Any number next to a bracket is assumed to be a multiplication and it’s division next so 20/5 = 4
So then multiply 4(4) = 16.
Today I learnt Americans can’t do math

B O D M A S
O
D
M
A
S

OCE edu rep

"The manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash, and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics"

Any "fucking top tier mathematicians and physicist" would laugh at your own retardation. Probably you didn't even finish high school

"The manuscript submission instructions for the Physical Review journals state that multiplication is of higher precedence than division with a slash, and this is also the convention observed in prominent physics textbooks such as the Course of Theoretical Physics by Landau and Lifshitz and the Feynman Lectures on Physics"

Retard. The answer is 1 under this standard.
See

While it's true that there is ambiguity, I agree with these guys.
It's the same thing as the C operator prescience. Multiply/divide are done at the same time and evaluated from left to right. If it's good enough for computers, it's good enough for me.

en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/operator_precedence

That's the problem with wikipedia. Retards believe to have an answer they can't even understand extrapolating it from a whole context. The answer is 16.

Which context am I missing? Because I read the sources and am on my last year of college (math undergrad).

I know that's bait, but that's not the distribution, there's no addition in the parenthesis.

Div/Mult and Add/sub are done at the same time reading from left to right
View it as
P
E
MD
AS

jesus fucking christ it's not hard to understand

P/B/G = Parenthesis/Bracket/Group/Whateverthefuckyoulearned. It appears as a literal parenthesis or under a radical or grouped below or above a division bar.

E = Exponents and Roots. It's not interchangeable with parenthesis/bracket/group. A group is not an "operation" - its literally a group. It's not fucking the opposite of exponents where the fuck did you even get that. Exponents and Roots are the ones that are interchangeable.

MD/DM - Doesn't fucking matter which letter comes first they're interchangeable and opposites of each other. You go left to right normally.

AS/SA - Doesn't fucking matter which letter comes first they're goddamn interchangeable and oppossites of each other. You go left to right like usual.

You go backwards when you're fucking trying to get a variable by itself.

Interchangeability will let you to do UNRESTRICTED (aka not in another group/parenthesis/bracket/fuckingshitthisisbasicmath) pairs of operations at the same time, but judging by how fucking mind blowing it is that none of you even know the fucking basics then I don't even suggest doing this shit like this.

Brainlet meatheads btfo

>when you sperg out but at literally nothing to the discussion because you're repeating concepts previously discussed in the very posts you quoted

Brainlet alert

I just noticed Google re-formatted the equation before it solved it. I'll write it up in C# when I get home but the answer will be the same.

What a meaningless, unnecessary post

So you completely change the equation to get 1.

There is nothing to interpret just read the equation without adding random brackets in

picture wins everytime

Me the retard? Topkek
I learned BODMAS in highschool (Uk)
Which carried on to be correct in my data analysis, econometrics, and management science modules at university.
You pull up wiki pages about outdated methods.

>last revision on 2011
>outdated

d22izw7byeupn1.cloudfront.net/files/styleguide-pr.pdf

lol having fun inputting a photo into C# without reformatting it

>another thread where op posts an image that triggers the autists

Fuck OP, well played.

>Implying a/b!=a*(1/b)
Division is just boneless multiplication desu. Same goes for subtraction where technically a-b=a+(-b)

so if the image was prettier the content wouldn't trigger you at all?

People get so butthurt over this picture but really both answers are fine because you're dealing with numbers that aren't representative of anything physical so it doesn't particularly matter how you get to the answer. Faggots arguing that they're right because they have an x or y degree in whatever don't deserve their degrees in the first place.

i also have dumbells and train at home, i just do bulgarian split squat, you need less than hals the weight you use in back squat, i add add weight to my dumbells for a total of 132 lbs, that would be the equivalent of 270 lbs bacl squat

>last year
>undergrad
good call

Nah senpai. Not gonna keep being autistic on pure math shit. I will go and study computer science or something
A P P L I E D

You guys realize that PEMDAS is totally arbitrary and unnecessary right?

This

fucking retards
parentheses go first and after that it's order of occurrence for multiplication and division and after that it's order of occurrence for addition and subtraction
it shouldn't be allowed to use this site if you're bellow 110 IQ

>the virgin calculation
>the chad declaration

"multiplication denoted by juxtaposition (also known as implied multiplication) is interpreted as having higher precedence than division"

i don't care what some "intellectuals" think about the order of operations
the agreed upon rules are these
end of story
use your retarded shit in physics class nerd

Relax, this is photoshoped. Don't have the original on me but you can tell by the yellowy tint on the girl's arm.

>c hash fags
>fitness.

Choose one.

I can extrapolate this out further if you brainlets are still having trouble with this and can walk you through step-by-step how a programming language solves it. Unless you want to debate the validity of a programming language's calculations lul

What if I told you you don't have to dedicate your entire life to a single activity?
>inb4 casual

You fucking faggots don’t realize that once you’ve got a pair AS or MD, then you go left to right

look at big shot 1st year CS student here lmao

lul I'm not even bragging about knowing a lot of C#, I'll be the first to admit that I'm semi-new to C# although I also have experience in C++, Python, Java, and Assemly.