BJJ THREAD

so, not even sure this belongs on this thread, but it seems the most likely place to start.

I wrestled for 8 years, bounced around community college for a couple years and didnt get to wrestle anymore. Got into a real school this year, and I am missing it pretty bad. We don't have a wrestling club but we got BJJ club so I joined that today. I'm going in to my first practice on Wednesday, what should I expect.

also general combat sports thread, because we don't seem to have one.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wVXzVbc
youtube.com/watch?v=RrlVg48-f94
youtube.com/watch?v=Jy-RkYMOYb0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>wrestled for 8 years
why the fuck there was no wrestling in my school

If you went to school in America, there's no way you didn't have wrestling.

expect to have fun. Also, look into if there's a judo club. would be fun to do both.

This. Practice BJJ for your ground moves, judo for your throws and sweeps. If you've got a wrestling background, you've got a head start.

You missed out bro. Standing on top of the podium knowing there wasn't anyone else who could beat you is one of the best feelings in the world. Its just not the same sitting here getting fat knowing I will never do that again. I put on too much weight going from 220 to 260, I can hardly walk up the stairs to my room without getting winded, looking forward to getting back where I need to be.

There is a judo club, but its my understanding that judo is just throws and I wrestled HWT most times, I have grown to hate lifting and throwing guys.

I didn't, EUfag here. Do american schools have all female staff too (except for the PE guy)?

>Popped my ankle two weeks ago to a toe hold >Came back today, almost popped it again from my own lockdown

Fuck me. Might just do weightlifting and yoga for the next two weeks to get back to 100%, but the thought of missing that much BJJ is painful

I guess its closer to 70:30 women:men, at least it was at my high school, but yeah, most of the men were in math/science/trades/administration.

That sucks man, I touched the side of my foot to the side of my leg my senior year wrestling which is why I didn't get to wrestle in college and why I is a large part of how I ended up going to community schools. Turns out schools don't want stupid kids who can't wrestle for them.

It hasn't hurt in over a year but it is a concern for me going back into a physical sport.

fuck judo, all u really need is good takedowns and wrestling combined with bjj.

Hahahahahaha why the fuck is BJJ a thing? Like nigga just push them off of you, like nigga just go do your gay shit somewhere else.

Can I still start to wrestle at 24? Will I get bullied by 15 year olds? Is it injury heavy? I wouldn't want to pop my ankle like and then be unable to go to work for the next 2 weeks.

Good luck finding a place to do it. There is fuck all for post scholastic wrestling because it takes so much fucking work and there just isn't the kind of recruiting draw that other combat sports have for some reason.

I guess I'll be a beta cuck that can't fight all my life then.

Just join something else like BJJ. Wrestling is a great foundation, but its not the be all end all of combat sports.

im completely new to MMA. Whats a good first class to get into? I was thinking Boxing > Muay Thai > BJJ.
Im currently doing strength training

Its MIXED martial arts for a reason, if you just do one your doing it wrong. Focus boxing and your fucked if you go to the ground. Focus BJJ and your fucked if your opponent doesn't want to climb into your guard. Start with grappling though, any idiot can learn to throw a punch, but you will end up on the ground at some point and that takes far more practice to not fuck up.

Just got out of a bjj class at my school. In my last free roll i got triangled for like 5 seconds before i tapped. Went to the locker room to find my face was red and my eyes were bloodshot. How do i stop looking like im crying after class?

Im planning to get into those three, boxing then muay thai then BJJ.

Knowing good throws not involving attacking the legs can work well. Doesn't hurt to know them.

Tap
sincerely,
The rest of the class

Either way, just go to classes and try it out. If it wasn't $90/m to train I'd be still doing it, but I pay $100/yr for my current gym and I can't see paying 12x that for fucking bjj. I also realized after a couple years that the only way you'll ever get anywhere is if you train like a fucking monster, and the only way to do that and compete is to accept the fact you will definitely have long term or permanent injuries from BJJ. There's no getting around it, you will have long term injuries, it's a combat sport, there's no avoiding it. I got injured just as bad in BJJ as I did getting slammed on inch thick competition mats in Judo 5x a day. You know, when the mats are cold and it's 55 degrees in the gym because there's no heat?

I wish I could find a cheap boxing gym near me, I miss boxing and bjj. Prepared to get your ass beat though, because while wrestling will help super fucking immensely, you're still going to get fucked up shoulders and knees from stupid shit.

>t. someone who has received cortozone shots from judo and bjj and wants to walk in his 50s

Oh yeah, and everyone at my old bjj gym roids like a motherfucker, and while I was lifting weights and bulking hard, I couldn't keep up with people that could run 2 miles in 11 minutes and outlift me while doing their HIIT shit. I couldn't keep up.

>Prepared to get your ass beat though, because while wrestling will help super fucking immensely, you're still going to get fucked up shoulders and knees from stupid shit.

OP here. This actually scares me a little bit. I got a fucked up shoulder from an illegal slam, both knees are fucked up to the point I can't do no weight squats without pain, and my ankle is fucked from the injury I described earlier. It took almost two years before I was completely pain free in my ankle, and my knees and shoulders still bother me after 3 years of no wrestling, not that I exactly take it easy on them, but its not half of what I used to do.

I came to a realization on the phone with my dad that I am chasing a memory of my highschool days that I will never be able to catch again, but for some reason I can't bring myself to not go try this out. I would take double the pain for just one more day on those mats and under the lights, and honestly I don't think I care right now about how I am going to feel thursday morning or next year, but I got an uncle in a wheelchair because of rodeo and being a wrestling coach caught up with him, and the idea of never being able to get out of a chair honest to god scares the fuck out of me.

Am I over reacting? It feels like its just nerves but god damn I would rather kill myself than wind up in a chair.

>mounts ur path

>wrestled 5 years
>same 5 moves from day 1 to year 5
>new to BJJ
>hey coach, what are the basics
>lists 3407923049 different moves

I've been to about 30 classes and I -still- have no clue what the basics are. I can beat up to mid level blue belts using wrestling skills to get to side control/reverse half then try and work towards mount+armbar, but I want to stop relying on that. We got a newb playlist or something I should start practicing at open mats?

Can confirm 100%
Also the gym where I used to go to had mats that were super thin and hard so your knees would be absolutely DESTROYED after practice, especially if you were doing wrestling/Judo. I've since decided to stop BJJ because it's expensive as fuck and I can't keep up with my lifts while I'm constantly injured from practice.
>t. Still have fucked up shoulders from wrestling in high school

Wrestling is goat, did wrestling in HS, went to bjj and was a raping mounting machine

Some small schools dont have it here. Mine didnt.

Learn how to defend for the first 4 years.

> planning

Jej. You'll quit if you do all three together.

Once you pick one to start, you'll stick to it forever though.

>Am I over reacting?
Nope. But how old is your uncle?
I say, if you aren't hurting as an old man, you didn't live enough as a young one.

Dont do bjj. Do taekwondo instead. Bjj sux.

Don't be too tense, big thing with white belts

>t. don't know shit
Judo is utter shit now because of no leg grabs.

>mats that were super thin and hard so your knees would be absolutely DESTROYED after practice
can't you just use kneepads?

>Kneepads
Do I look like some sort of queer to you?

>le jumping around shouting like a retardo for points
no thanks

Join the /mag/ discord, we're beginning to move on from /asp/

discord.gg/wVXzVbc

Basically everyone on /mag/ does grappling of some sort anyway so plenty of BJJ shit to talk about

And this is precisely why untrained normies get smashed by jiu-jitieros 1-on-1. Like nigga u dum

>Robson Gracie
>Reyson Gracie
>Rolls Gracie
>Rorion Gracie
>Relson Gracie
>Rickson Gracie
>Royler Gracie
>Royce Gracie
>Robin Gracie
>Ralek Gracie
>Ralph Gracie
>Rener Gracie
>Renzo Gracie
>Rodrigo Gracie
>Roger Gracie
>Rolles Gracie, Jr.
>Ryan Gracie

What's the fucking deal here

You’ll get bullied by the good high schoolers but you’ll learn a lot. I started in my early 20s on an NCWA team and I can now hang with lesser college guys and win against good high schoolers. For BJJ, it’s made my top game incredible.

At least you didn’t have labrum surgery from wrestling
>t. Had labrum surgery from wrestling

One of my coaches wanted me to push through it to wrestle the rest of my season but I bitched out.

Helio believed that “R” was the most powerful letter of the alphabet

y0, OP

youtube.com/watch?v=RrlVg48-f94

You forgot
>Ryron Gracie

>But how old is your uncle?

He in his mid 50s which means God willing he will have another 20-30 years in that chair. That's the part that scares me. I wouldn't mind dying on the mat, but never being able to walk again is one of my top 3 fears next to rabies and getting one of those bags where you shit from a hole in your stomach

>I say, if you aren't hurting as an old man, you didn't live enough as a young one.
I have the same mindset, but there is an upper limit attached.

My grandfather was like that, he has 8 kids and all their names start with Z.
I would post the names but there is probably one family in the entire world with all these names so it would be incredibly identifying.

>opponent stands up
>your five years worth of BJJ experience is now useless
Heh.. sorry kid, should've chosen a real man's martial art

BJJ because you can get into live sparring easier. Maybe even your first class.

With boxing/muay thai, it will be many months before you can spar live, and you might burn out before then.

Why is gi jiujitsu a thing? Its fucking boring. Who the hell wants to sit around and fight grips for 5 minutes?

I've been training bjj for about 6 months now, any advice?

There's a place near me that teaches the ancient nipponese art of ninjutsu. Is it a meme or worth checking out?

Depends on what you want. If you want to learn how to fight it's a meme.

when i say for 5 seconds, he almost had it but I immediately tapped when he locked it in. I tried to stack him, like what everyone else does to me, but i was fucked.

Because it wins fights. See: UFC

Get yourself a rash guard if your training in a gi, gi burn in the first couple of months is no joke. Also be ready to tap early, wrestling is effective as fuck but they don't drill submission defenses, so your gonna get smashed by everyone. Other than that just enjoy it, and leave your ego at the door. Bjj is a great sport, you'll love it

earn a blue belt, that should be good enough to beat 90% of the people out there right?

Try this next time. youtube.com/watch?v=Jy-RkYMOYb0
Depends on who you're rolling against, but most people forget to control your arm when fiddling with their legs.

Any leg stretches that will improve my kicks? My right leg specifically feels really tight where my leg connects to my gooch when I try to kick above leg height.

>t.

>Check out r/bjj because its the biggest BJJ community.
>Thread is something like "Hey whitebelt, how badly were owned the first time you had to face a purple belt or above woman"
>Thread full of soys talking about how they got tapped every 10 seconds or some shit
>I just respond truthfully and say that I got paired up with a purple belt girl about 2 weeks in, and while she was pretty good, I still american'd (the only submission I knew) like 3 times that round.
>-14 karma

You can start, look for a local community college. You can also look up clubs through USA Wrestling. No matter how big and strong you are good high schoolers will destroy you for your first couple of years. Don't let that stop you. Don't you want to have a skill that is so powerful it lets children destroy men?

That whole joint is full of white-knighting soyboys
Then again, BJJ has a fair share of soyim in general, often centered in the same academies that give out belts for attendance instead of tangible expression of prowess in live sparring

Same 5 moves? I suppose you weren't a top competitor. You should stick with it and put time into developing your skill set. Sorry your coach robbed you.

Is no gi BJJ any safer? I just want to do some amateur MMA so I'm not interested in anything with a gi.

>implying they wear gi in UFC

Do leg swings to the front side and back. Just keep your leg straight.

Check if combat Sambo is near you, it has a good mix of striking and ground work and good takedowns. Lots of leg locks though

As an old fag, I can tell you: You WILL stop lifting in a few years, unless you're a leo, a fire fighter, a semi-pro fighter or an autist.
I've never stop bjj/judo/wrestling or mma in my life.
You will get injured while lifting too as you get older. It will kill you will to train for good. Then you'll come to martial arts, will suck at it and will eventually stop, because life.
Among my uni friends, only those who box/ and do martial arts are still fit enough to play with their kids. All the others have bad back and bad knees whether they lifted or playe soccer/football.

they used to, gif related.

Looks like a guy who would practice JJ actually

>I walk away from the takedown
heh what now gay hugging bois??

Go to a muay thai lesson and aee how tough it is

Ita not strength that wins fights but speed and precision

MMA can be pretty dangerous, so I'm not sure why you're worried about safety in bjj. But yeah just do nogi. Guard passing and retention are more applicable there, and I'm guessing nogi gyms do more leg stuff than most gi gyms.

dude bjj lmao