Cutting Routine

Waddup Veeky Forums,

I'm basically at the end of my LP on SS with the following 5RMs (in lbs):
OHP 160
Bench 200
Squat 315
Diddly 375
Power Clean 175 (3RM, haven't tested a 5)
Chins are weak, BWx6 at 210lb

Of course I put on some fat, I'm 210lb at 5'11, so I'll be going on an IF cut here in a week or two, once my diddly & bench totally stall out. Planning on going to Madcow 5x5 for my early intermediate stuff.

Question, while cutting, should I stick with the SS template and just try to keep my lifts constant (so 3 sets across), or should I move to Madcow when I start the cut? I thought the move to Madcow might be the answer since it starts off light, but I don't know if that would cause me to lose more strength while cutting due to the drop in intensity.

Your thoughts?

Also, is Madcow still pretty well-liked? For the next few months, my schedule is too tight to hit it more than 3x/week, and I'm 30yo, which I see is not good for Texas Method.

Other urls found in this thread:

bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-system-part-1-introduction-squats/
bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-system-part-2-pressing/
bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-training-system-part-3-pulling/
youtube.com/watch?v=fv5cSqE0FOc
breakingmuscle.com/fitness/strong-is-as-strong-does-your-ideal-weightlifting-weight
forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1963591&d=1248890324
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump, can I get a little traction?

Do I need to include some feels or receding hairlines or something to get this board to respond?

SS ends after three deloads. Have you done three deloads?

Idk how many deloads I've had, I have the occasional "off" day, I have the occasional day where I can only complete 2 sets and I get all 3 on the next, etc.

My OHP is at a dead stop and has been for weeks. Squat hasn't stopped yet but I've had to do the 2-then-3 thing the past few jumps, so that's not going to last much longer. Bench has always been shit. Diddly is still jumping at least 5lb/session, which is why I'm still on SS, I figure I might as well milk the LP progress out of all 4 major lifts before switching routines.

If I'm not at the end of my LP, I'm very confident saying that it will be exhausted within a month, which is why I'm doing my research now.

>Idk how many deloads I've had, I have the occasional "off" day, I have the occasional day where I can only complete 2 sets and I get all 3 on the next, etc
Then you've had 0 deloads.

Goddammit you DYEL little fuck, fuck off, how far do you really expect SS to carry me past 160lb OHP? That's already more than 75% of this board.

Quit talking to me about deloads and get your fuckin weight up.

>Planning on going to Madcow 5x5 for my early intermediate stuff.
don't

fucking don't

do anything but that complete shit heap of a routine

do TM, or HLM, or The Bridge, or C6W, anything but fucking madcow

Not OP but whats wrong with Madcow?

>Goddammit you DYEL little fuck, fuck off, how far do you really expect SS to carry me past 160lb OHP?
I don't know, it depends a lot on your genetics and nutrition. Getting off SS because you think you're done is stupid. You're done when you're done, anything else is suboptimal.
>That's already more than 75% of this board.
See pic related. Being better than 75% of Veeky Forums really isn't a great achievement.
>Quit talking to me about deloads and get your fuckin weight up.
My maxes are almost twice yours at 220 lbs.

Am OP, what's wrong with Madcow?

I would go to Texas Method, but I'm 30yo, in my final semester of engineering, and already working full-time engineering in a plant, with single-dad on top of it all. The internet seems to agree that TM will kill me.

I read The Bridge and think Feigenbaum definitely knows his shit, but the borderline-autistic level of detail in that routine turns me off for some reason.

Do you have a link to a good HLM resource? I'd like to check it out.

>My maxes are almost twice yours
not that guy but no they aren't

Yeah I'd love to see your 3pl8 strict press, bud. You're probably so strong that you could do it while performing your 6pl8 squat at the same time.

GTFO of here you e-statting faggot LMAO

>i'm weak, so everyone else must be weak too

you claimed your maxes were almost twice his, his OHP max is probably about 185lbs conservatively, so you would be overhead pressing almost 370lbs

you need to stop telling fibs on the internet

Do you legitimately believe that somebody on this board is strict pressing 3pl8, and at the same time telling me I haven't exhausted my LP at an OHP of 160lb that has been stalled for weeks?

Because that is fuckin absurd.

Old people do HLM, ask Andy Baker lol

the volume is low as fuck, you basically only get 2 working sets per exercise per session which is nowhere near enough to drive adaptation for most people

i'm not exaggerating, it is the absolute worst routine ever written and i regret the months i wasted running that piece of shit before i understood programming and the importance of training volume

so you deadlift almost 860lbs? very nice let's see a video

>and I'm 30yo, which I see is not good for Texas Method.
You're too old for lifting weights at all, grandpa

You haven't stalled. You are literally just underweight. Go to fucking 230 you cunt.

>226
>5"11
>Sqwat - 365
>Bench - 242.5
>Press - 160
>Diddly - 400

still haven't stalled.

I'd ask you to post pic but I don't want you to embarrass yourself. I'm not planning on going fat-as-fatass on SS.

So if Madcow is no-go and TM is almost universally thought to be fatal to 30 year olds, what else would you recommend for a 3-day split? Not trolling, legitimately looking for intermediate programming info. If you have good reading resources, I'd love to see them.

Bridge is unnecessarily complex and the average early intermediate has fuck all clue how to handle RPE anyway. It probably works just fine if you have jordanbaum and the iraqi coaching you but I suspect many who do it alone end up fucking it up.

HLM works well enough and you can still train ‘maxes’ if you set it up right using backoff sets for the additional tonnage.

i would recommend HLM

bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-system-part-1-introduction-squats/
bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-system-part-2-pressing/
bakerstrengthcoaching.com/simplifying-the-heavy-light-medium-training-system-part-3-pulling/
youtube.com/watch?v=fv5cSqE0FOc

Thanks bud, I'll czech em out.

>Bridge is unnecessarily complex and the average early intermediate has fuck all clue how to handle RPE anyway.
Jesus fucking christ, you can do your current program and just add RPE after a set to slowly learn about it before transitioning into The Bridge, its not hard okay you people are just dumb.
t. doing TM and putting RPE after each intensity set(s)

>putting RPE after each intensity set
that's easy it's just @10.5 every single time

>OHP: 160 5RM
>Bench: 200 5RM
What the fuck

You're not funny, most of the time its a RPE 10 but there are a very small times its a RPE 9 or 9.5
I'm doing this to learn how RPE works and OP can do the same

I hate bench, and for a long time did it with poor form (didn't pull my shoulders down), and it kept hurting my shoulder, so for awhile I ditched it entirely and slowly progressed on weighted dips instead.

I've never had any setbacks or pain with OHP. I would consider myself an OHP main.

Part of it could be due to prior injury, I had a motorcycle accident that resulted in my right clavicle floating around for about 3 weeks before surgery. It fucked that AC joint up a little, that's where I usually feel bench pain from.

My bench will probably go up a little more on LP, I just got back into doing it and expect that a little of the dips will carry over, I got them up to 65lb added 5RM about a week ago, then ordered a new bench because it was on sale.

Wtf? I'm 30 and on TM and I love it.

Sure I nap hard as fuck on volume and intensity days, but my 4pl8 squat is fun times

Well hell, I might just try being a big dick nigga and going for TM. My life is just super packed until I graduate in May, so I'm afraid to pile too much on. I'm already going from 6am-10pm on weekdays, it wears on me a little.

I think you'll be okay bro. I do gym at 5am and get it over with for the day. The TM workouts are pretty quick too, with volume day being the longest one.

Serious question, how long did it take you to reach 4pl8 squat?

Hard to call it. I did SS for a bit starting when I was about 20-21. Got to 3pl8 easily (my squat and deadlift we're really good; bench was/is my weakest) but I started to dick around with SS and other aint-shit programs. Finally started TM in earnest a few weeks ago (just turned 30 after I started), and started at ~380 for 3x5. Went aggressive with my first weights, but I clocked in my 405 5RM last week.

I'd say if I did SS and then TM right after, I would've hit 4pl8 squat by 25-26 casually.

Fucking 230 is the optimal for 5"11. The fuck are you smoking

breakingmuscle.com/fitness/strong-is-as-strong-does-your-ideal-weightlifting-weight

forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1963591&d=1248890324

Totally a fatass, huh?

Pic is not me. dude at 230 @ 5"11

yeah but you don't look like that guy, you're just fat

230 @ 5'11" with visible abs is not happening without gear, it's optimal only for powerlifters who care more about how much weight they can squat with a powergut than what they look like

Okay, pal. Keep being subpar while I keep not stalling and not being fat.

post a picture of you being not fat at 230 lbs and 5'11", we'll wait

LMAO for real, your stats are pretty close to mine (OP) and if I gained 20-25lb from where I'm at I would look like the "after SS" memes we see here.

How does one squat 3 plates but only bench 200?

I was benching 200 when I was 15 and weighed 145 lbs

Squatting 3 plates, OTH, at legitimate depth, seems like an impossible achievement

Rather be a a leglet than an upper bodylet

I'm 5'11" but 305 with a LBM of 210. I would probably have abs at 230.

What kind of voodoo plates are those that they are smooth on both sides?

you have strong triceps, chest, and weak literally everything else on your entire body

so you're fat as unholy fuck, got it

Idk man, like I said above I honestly just don't like bench, and my form was a little tweaked which caused frequent shoulder pain.

I got dips up to 65lb added, so I'm thinking my bench will go up a little real quick but probably not much past 2pl8.

As for the squat, I just added 10lb every session until I couldn't, then 5lb every session, and I ate a lot of food and most importantly ran BOFAD. They're lowbar, and I'm probably honestly going slightly lower than I should, but it's k.