Googles "does the body burn muscle or fat first when fasting"

>Googles "does the body burn muscle or fat first when fasting"
>No clear consensus
So which is it Veeky Forums?

Burns muscle

The body burns fat at faster rate than muscles, regardless of conditions.

Burns fat

this

burns brain cells

who is this whore, I must know more.

If you keep lifting you will retain most of your lean mass

both

loose broscience incoming
Muscle requires resources to maintain, from that it would make sense if muscle was the first to go. As long as you're still working out and fasting I doubt your body would turn to try and cannibalize the muscle first however.

fat is your bodies energy reserve. back to the stone ages, when there was no food to find. The organism used the fat reserve to feed your muscles and your brain with enough energy to survive. thats why the jews survived th concentration camps. if they had lost their muscles first, none would have had survived.

yeah clearly what this idiot was missing was random unfounded broscience. thats what he couldnt find on google. good job m9

but to maintain the muscle and to show your body that you need them, you have to USE them -> work out intensively.

No.

It depends on nutrient requirements, especially nitrogen balances.

Musculature preservation is generally guaranteed with enough dietary protein, and staying on weights. There are multiple studies confirming this.

>these are the people giving you nutritional and scientific advice on Veeky Forums

In a fasting state the body will preferentially utilize fat stores OP. That isn't to say there won't be any muscle wasting but in general, assuming you aren't a retard and water fasting for weeks or something, you will use significantly more fat.

it will definitely help you burn fat faster, and if you lift hard enough and has a solid diet you will keep most of your muscles, i much rather fast than eat 5 or 6 meals a day, i eat lot less shitty processed foods and i can eat much bigger portions on my 6 hours of eating

>cannibalize the muscle

Is everybody in this thread new here?
When fasting the body produces ketones which use fat to produce energy. Just like in ketosis. Intermittent fasting actually increases muscle gain. And apparently that Dom daugustino managed to nearly maintain strength after a week long fast. In short, just do keto or at least intermittent fasting.

To put it into a physiological perspective fat is the first thing to go. Why? Because it is the absolute primary fuel source for the body when there is no outside food, that is was it was designed to do. To turn muscle into nutrients for the body requires alot of complex chemistry that the body does not want to do in order to use that as fuel. Also if you are SUFFICIENTLY trained and still trained while fasting you should be able to at least keep some of your muscle. Im actually doing an experiment on myself by doing a pretty big PSMF 4 days out of the week and doing a 48 hour fast on the weekends and a 2000kcal meal on monday. So far my strength has not changed. (already weak, 255 3x5 working weight squats 1x5 335 deadlift 3x5 200 bench 3x5 135 press 175 5x3 powerclean) and im looking better in the mirror every day.

Long story short there are mostly just case studies that show how fasting can preserve muscle while fasting, however if you have more and more case studies that show it you kind of get the body of evidence needed to put it into a real claim.

After two day fast and 1 day of TDEE-300 and 1k breakfast I couldn't lift what I lifted on previous gym day.

Odd, because I did damn near the same thing and I was able to lift the same as the previous session. However, I was already in ketosis before staring the fast.

>work out intensively.
Walk a lot or really just do literally anything other than lay in bed*

In highschool I wanted to lose weight and I've started fasting like a dumbass without increased protein intake and excersises, I've just cut the calories. The muscle loss was really heavy, though I've lost quite some fat too. In general those things go together, though if you exercise and have a diet with increased protein intake the muscle loss diminishes very significantly. This is all coming from self observation. Don't believe people who say it's one things or the other only, human body doesn't work like that, different metabolic pathways are activated simultaneously.

Why even fast for two days? The first two days are absolute hell. Stop doing that, fast for five days, eat like a king for 5 days, lifting each day, and repeat. Its been working for me.

/thread

What a brapper, look at this fucking animal brehs...

>fasting
>cut calories
At least learn the basic definition of whatever you try to discuss before contributing.

ive been fasting and it seems ive only been losing muscle

Ask yourself for what reason? You really needn't.

What an absolute unit.

Doesn't she realize that the screen is turned off

She likes her screens the way she likes her men. Black and not working

>let me store fat for energy, in case there's no food
>oh no, there's no food
>i better use muscle for energy immediately

People think this is how the human body works

Listen up OP. This is how it goes.
>First your body burns up the glycogen in your muscles for the first 3 days or so
>Then you lose a tiny bit of muscle
>Then you go into fat burning survival mode until 5% body fat
>Then you lose a bit more muscle
>Then your body eats up scar tissue, dead cells, etc.
>Then you have nothing left and so your body just eats what's left (Muscle + 5% fat)
>Finally you become a skellington

fast2
fɑːst/
verb
gerund or present participle: fasting

>abstain from all or some kinds of food or drink, especially as a religious observance.

> abstain from food, refrain from eating, deny oneself food, go without food, go hungry, eat nothing, starve oneself; go on hunger strike

> be deprived of all or some kinds of food, especially for medical or experimental reasons.

Fasting in medical terms means zero (0) calories, this guy was eating.

Then why does Intermittent fasting work?

More thicc thot plz

>82448▶
>
>
When you're in a fasted state,your body increases GH production in order to spare muscle but only for some time.
This is why fasting only a few days a week or doing IF is better for a cut than just straight up waterfast

spooky if true

By fasting, most people mean actual fasting, in other words, going a couple of days without eating.

Does the snake juice actually work?

fat.
Wrong.
I assume that "fasting" in OP was something reasonable, not a 40 days lent waterfast or similar shit. Skipping dinner or even eating for a couple of days won't hit muscles at all. Fat storage exist for a purpose. This purpose. Breaking down muscles is a lot more challenging and it's the ultima ratio. The body isn't that dumb, it won't start "cannibalizing" muscles just for the sake of it.

I love her. Anymore??

if your body is used to carb in diet, your body burns glycogen for quick energy, if you have no carb in diet before then your body enters ketosis and burns fatty acids to form ketone bodies. depends what your body is used to, which is why ppl do that keto diet bullshit.

your body burns the tissue of your vital organs first. why would your body burn fat first you moron.