Starting bjj on monday, any tips fit??

Watch your fingers.
Don't be afraid to tap in training, a torn ligament isn't worth it.
Don't slam people, wrestling has it's time and place.

thankyou user

Dont be a sperg
Dont smell bad
Cut your nails before going
Dont use full strength in training or sparring

Mouth guard always. Seen too many people chip teeth because "it wasn't suppose to be striking". even grappling can end badly for your teeth

This.
Bathe before practice. Wear clean clothes. Rashguard/compression wear combined with sports shorts end up smelling fucking abysmal. The worst for me was compression shorts + thai boxing shorts. So be aware of that and always wear clean clothes.

These two pretty much covered it all

Yeah, be prepaired for long term joint injuries if you want to get to a competitive level.

Don't start dating your sensei's daughter just because she came onto you

Fuck I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near my trainers daughter, if he had one.
He'd positively kill me if anything funny happened.

yeah, don't be a faggot and do kickboxing/muay thai instead

And cauliflower ear

yeah dont be a cocky cunt

I noticed an uptick up me waking up staring at the ceiling when he would rotate into sparing sessions

BJJ or Judo for police officers?
Pic related says that BJJ is best for smaller people trying to take down larger people. I'm inclined to go with BJJ in this case, but would like to hear your opinions.

Sambo

If you're open for something different, I'd recommend Krav Maga.
Been doing it for 3 years or something so far and we have several police men training with us in their free time because they're convinced it's best.
I live in Germany and knife attacks, especially on police, are pretty common. They always wanna train knife defense.

Concerning BJJ/Ground game: One of our co-trainers is with the police too and recently told us he likes the Krav Maga takedowns and holds better because they have a more raw, aggressive approach and therefore are easier to perform under stress. JJ techniques are cleaner and might be more effective in a controlled training environment, I'd say.
He trained JJ before that so I guess the same is true for BJJ.

Combat sambo

What would happen in this situation?

What's the opposite of it?
Best martial art for lanklet against Manlet?

Boxing and Kickboxing can make good use of the range advantage in theory, but once the manlet gets in close range it's evened out again.
If the lanklet is a skelly, he's in a bad spot. If the lanklet is juicy he won't have a problem guarding his face, since the smaller opponent is at a worse angle.
Speaking from experience, 181cm with many 190+cm guys in training.

I dislocated my shoulder and have recently recovered after my surgery. I'm sure I can use it now but which of these applies the least stress to shoulder joints?

Until you get it properly stable again you shouldn't do any kind of martial arts which greatly relies on joint locks and throws.
So no BJJ, JJ, Judo, Wrestling, Aikido etc. I'd say.
I dislocated my shoulder myself some years ago and it was pretty loose afterwards, popped out with everyday movements and so on. Started Krav Maga 3 years ago and went easy on all things concerning the shoulder joint for the first year. After that I gained enough muscle to stabilize it and by now it's completely fine, apart from occasional creaking.

Pain and he would train you wrong. As a joke

Which exercises are good for builiding up muscle for bjj?

Just get a gun and become a quintuple degree black belt instantly. Save yourself the headache of having to roll around with other "I wanna learn to defend muhself" soyboys for years on end.

>Don't be afraid to tap in training, a torn ligament isn't worth it.
This, leave your ego at the door. you're going to lose a lot, accept it.

Enjoy your herpes and califlower ears from rolling around on the ground with sweaty Brazilians..you should train a real Martial art like wing Chun, or Tai Chi Chuan.

Lol kys

If you're asking for applicable lifts for the sport:

Squats/Deadlifts for takedowns and generating driving force/stability.

Pullups and rows: Lots of pulling (especially if you're a guard player).

For pushing: I find dips to have the most carryover.

I'd also recommenced facepulls to counteract the contract posture bjj develops.

Purple belt here.

What I see a lot of clubs/instructors do wrong (in my opinion), is they teach white belts isolated techniques instead of CONCEPTUAL bjj first. IE: If someone is going on a road trip, the guide is showing them the destinations without showing them A)How to drive, B)How roads/stop signs work etc, and C)how to read a map.

If at all possible, try to learn as much as you can about the principles of bjj early on. IE: The positional hierarchy/map, defensive concepts like framing/posture breaking/hip movement, shutting down the legs when passing the guard etc.

You have nothing to prove. Don't go into every roll as a life or death struggle - you will learn nothing. Take your time. Ask yourself what you're trying to do, and watch what your opponent is doing to you to either A)Stop you, and/or B)Implement his game.

And if you're worried about getting smashed - 90% of your opponents will match your pace. The only time I go hard on a new guy is if he's trying to bull rush me. Most people will respect your pace and LET YOU LEARN.

If you're not sure what to do in a roll. Stop your opponent and ask him what the best move forward is. Or if he's on the offensive and you're not sure what to do, ask them.

Most veterans don't mind helping a noobie out, and it's awesome seeing them learn and develop their game.

Finally: When you're learning techniques: It's very beneficial to write them down, step by step, after class. Read them the day after, and before going to class. Pick a guard pass, defensive concept, and submission to practice each week so you can refine them and make them habitual.

Too many people come into class without any sort of goal and you see them stagnate over time. Actually have a game plan and try to hit it when rolling.

And have fun. This is a great and very deep sport with an awesome community.

Sorry for the blogpost ;)