QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Do out of shape people burn more calories given the same amount of exercise?

Let's say we have two dudes who weigh the same but one of them is a slob and the other is an athlete who can run 5 miles without breaking a sweat. If they both run that same distance, are they each burning the same amount of calories or is the out of shape one burning more because of how more difficult it is for him?

Other urls found in this thread:

bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw2.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you are talking about kinda "skinny fat" vs atheletic then no its the same calorie burn, however fat burns at more of a quantity then muscle so the skinny fat person would lose more fat than the more addapted atheletic person. At least thats my oppinion and i may be wrong. Unlike 90% of Veeky Forums i can admit i dont know 100% but i would have such a guess.

My question. Why the fuck are my triceps disproportionate? It's of my assumption that you can not nessasarily isolate any specipic tricep head as they have the same origin and insertion? My lateral head on the right side (2nd pic) is dwarfed comared to my left however my long head is larger than the left. Obviously thats taking over but even trying to do light work and rotate my hand what would in my assumption emphasise the lateral head is doing nothing. Wtf?

hey does someone have that pic of albert greentexting that line from the dark knight rises but its replaced with fit related things?

I started strong lifts. Can I do both paused bench press and closed grip bench press for assistance or is it too much chest?

>pls respond

outside getting to low bf% and training abs 3x week at least, what else can I do to better make my V-line, those pointing to your dick, to stick out? pic related is goal, mine sticks out the same if I flex my lower gut out but if I'm resting it's like it aint there

Firstly, whats your reason for wanting to do them? Want a bigger chests? Want to incorperate some hypetrophy?

This is personally bro science but it worked for me, hanging knee raises worked for me but when drawing my knees up i did a slight left or right rotation with my knees like a crunch but insted of crunching through my abs, draw that line insted of down the cwntre of your body draw it paralell with each line of the v if that makes sence?

Should skinny-fat guys be lifting or doing cardio?
Aiming for aesthetic.

hanging twisted raises? I do them sometimes
I do cable wooded choppers or landmine oblique twists

never fall for the fucking "compounds for abs" only meme
now I can do hanging raises to the ceiling and weighted ab wheels but my bf% is a bit higher so hopefully once I cut it shows up

it has greentext over this pic if that helps with searching

Dont worry dude im an exercise sciestist i know not to fall for that shit haha but yes thats the exercise i was talking about. Josef rakich did a half decent video on the topic if you google it

>Firstly, whats your reason for wanting to do them?

I have an underdeveloped inner chest.

The outer pectoral is fine but close grip bench press is the only exercise that seems to target my inner chest.

And yes I want a more developed/better chest

I'm the guy who made the ottermode thread

I found this page bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw2.htm and it's saying to do max reps for each exercise. Does that just mean I do as many as I can until I can't go anymore, and do that 3 times?

Do hypetrophy first, its easier to gain muscle with a higher body fat and then cut down but if its just for social and to get pussy then only need to do it for a year or evwn 8 months. I did that for my beginner gains and then start going into full body supersets. This worked for me but after that i decided to go back to hypetrophy and make more muscle

how come im not losing any strength,
even tho im 7 weeks into a keto diet, with 1000 calories deficit?
i lost 20lbs, and 2.5" off my waist already,
and my mind tells me i SHOULD be losing strength,
but im not
lifts are 1.9/2.9/2.9/4
26y, 5'10, 195lbs

My inner chest was stupid undeveloped and fucked me off. I was on a strength program and i did the following. Firstly keep strwngth to strength exercises, do accesory work out of compound movements i did single hand cable flys and put your finger on the origin of the muscle (sternum) and make sure you squeeze your finger with your chest. That and 3x1.25kg plates and use those in a press or 2x2.5kg standing forward press and my inner chest caught up major quick.

Can someone give me some feedback on my routine?

ABA BAB

A day
Squat 3*5
Bench press 3*5
Calf raises 3*10
Incline dumbbell press 3*10
Crunches 2*failure

B day
Stiff legged deadlift 3*5
Overhead press 3*5
Cable rows 3*10
Lat pulldown 3*10
Arnold press 3*10

1 of 2 things
> weren't training at the appropriate RPE
> not strictly following the diet

No hate but if these are actually exact and not just guesses then one of the above has to be the case or an external factor you arent listing

There is too much to fix here without offering my services that i feel are of quakity to not just hand for free but stick to these a bit better
> compound to isolate
> dont be so exact with rep ranges unless you are hardcore on point with RPE

why 3x5 and not 5x5, or 5-4-3-2-1?
no barbell rows
why stiff leg diddly?

thanks for the advice but i live in the middle of nowhere and use a home gym that's a bench + Squat rack, hence the stonglifts

In that case? Yeah go ahead with the close grip

So just close grip? No paused bench press?

I dont know your routine so i can not comment but if you want to define more inner chest then its trial and error. As there is no actual muscle you can target for the "inner chest" so there is no study or anything in regard to that. With a barbell an underhand press again pitting a pen on the centre of the chest amd squeezing into that pen would hypotetically be a good replacement for my previous prescription

when should I move on from SS? 1/2/3/4?

>1 month before I'm supposed to start cutting
>get shoulder injury

fucking hell. should I start cutting now?

maintenance

Anyone?

so i'm thinking of reducing my sets my sets for my compound lifts from 5x5 to 3x5, do you guys think thats smart? frankly, it takes so much time now and my gym is pretty busy. also i get really tired afterwards and stalling.. i'm planning to do 2 sets of lower weights and then 3x5 with my 5rm.

Thanks, user

I once heard about a training routine that has a focus of pushing your body against yourself/locking your fingers into each other and pulling ect. Does anyone happen to know what that's called? Apparently some asian monk invented that when he was in jail or something.

How do you eat and browse Veeky Forums at the same time?

I'm coming off a cold. I went to work today and my energy are like 80%. Eating is a little hard though.

I think I can workout today but I don't if I should. I have a homegym so I won't get anyone else sick.

Will something bad happen if I'm on C25K and I decide to run every day instead of at least every other day?

Should I do incline or flat barbell bench first? Same for DB

Ive started to do incline and noticed 2 things. A better fulfilment in my chest because my uppder chest is being activated and making it more athestic however in the beginning before 18 months worth i would say stick to flat as there is more benifits of compound and is less technical to target the upper chest

why does the 4th toe on my right foot start to cramp up when doing chinups?

every fucking time.

Can i burn fat n gain muscle as a somewhat newbie? Saw an option for that on scoobys calorie calculator

I want to go into cut i adjusted my calories and all my macro splits are good, i just wanted to know if their is any supplement i could take to help speed thing along?

What are good resistance routines for an obese guy? Couch to 5k?

Okay and if I feel comfortable with incline. If I flat bench and incline in tue same workout should I start with flat or incline?

How do I start learning about correct posture?

Is there a go-to book you can recommended?

Is pasta bad for you? I eat it probably 3-4 times a week since it's cheap. I know it has a lot of carbs but the calories to fat/calories to price ratio is so good

Was I a pussy today in the gym lads?

I promised myself that if I got into weightlifting I wouldn't push my shit if there was even the slightest bit of ambiguity about whether or not I was gonna fuck my shit up. I don't want to be out of commission for months because of doing stupid shit like I have in the past. I fucked up all my gains when I got into running by pushing through pain and gave myself stress fractures. Same another time I got into bodyweight shit and fucked my elbows by pushing myself too hard.

Fast forward to today: Been lifting for about two weeks. My lifts are usually shitty and lethargic cos I put myself on a huge deficit. Not today. Popped 300mg caffeine motherfucking determined to have a good session and put on a shitty hardcore workout playlist. Was working biceps, got 4 sets in; wanted to do 8 sets total and 8 another day for 16 on the week. Did 2 standing barbell curls and 2 sets of preacher curls. First 4 were heavy as shit to make sure my max reps would be in the 4-6 rep range. Next 4 were gonna be higher rep so I could hit all kinds of muscle fibers.

None of that shit matters what the fuck am I saying. I got 4 sets in and notice my arm was a little difficult to straighten. Then felt my bicep and shit was stiff as a fucking erection. It was dope. Love that shit. Is that what a pump is? But I decided to stop there because I don't want to tear it or anything. Triceps were next and if I made it through 4 more sets of bis I was still scared I'd snap my shit up. I don't trust myself enough not to straighten my shit all the way doing skull crushers or some kind of overhead tricep extension.

Anyways am I being retarded? Nothing in my arm snapped or anything it was just stiff as shit and hard. Can I safely keep going for future reference? Really wanted more out of my workout today.

I start worh incline again for what i noted before but scientifically they say flat

I sprained my ankle a bit today.
Can I still squat and bb row tomorrow?

Is it possible for your knees to bend more than 180 degrees?
I feel like when I stand my knees bend inwards sometimes if I'm not careful and i've been getting tons of knee pressure/pain recently.

Haven't lifted in awhile. Been out in the middle of the bush for a year.

Until I save up the funds for a proper gym set ($2500 or so), can I get back to strength training with just some pull up rings? Bodyweight workout seems basically to be a meme for strength goals, but surely it'll help a bit, right? Can and do also pick up heavy things I find around the farm. Think strong man, but a lot lighter. Tossing logs too.

If it matters at all, last time I tested my 1rm it was 175/97.5/160 kgs at around 84kg's.

Go ahead, just don't try and set any new PRs. Let your body recover.

Shin splints or some other injury most likely.

If you're obese, don't run. It'll do fuck all to your joints. Use an elliptical or bike or rowing machine, etc.

Most of us follow iifym, so as long as your getting enough protein, go for it.

This should be written into your program, but 3x5 is the usual progression after you've stalled at the same weight three times.

>Is it possible for your knees to bend more than 180 degrees?
Sure, it's called breaking your knee.

Lifting to failure, or max reps, is when you do as many reps as you can and stop one rep before the rep that you'd be unable to do with proper form. So, yes, it is, but remember that this doesn't mean that you go until you have to abandon mid-rep (that's dangerous, and not very helpful) but that it means you stop when you complete a rep and think to yourself, "There's no way in hell I can do one more rep."

So I would do as many as I can, rest, the do two more sets the same way? Would you recommend 30 or 60 seconds for rest period?

What the fuck does 1/2/2/3 and 1/2/3/4 mean exactly?

what kind of program can i do with just dumbbells and bodyweight exercises at home?

what's a good pre workout meal look like and how long before the workout is it eaten?

Thanks, mate.

>be at meditation lesson
>"Thanks yourself for who you are"
>"Thanks yourself for the way you lived your life"
>start tearing up
How do I fix that ? How do I start living a life I'm happy with ?

What is the better of the two?

6 hours of sleep 5 days of the week and doing 1 hr cardio 4 days a week

or

7 hours of sleep 5 days of the week but no cardio

(both scenarios involve lifting)

rest 60 if u need it. otherwise 30. won't make a big deal either way after a while.

Sleep more, lift less. Cardio is for health.

My doctor prescribed me a two in one today: a beta blocker called metoprolol for high BP (running about 150/80) and anxiety. How is this going to effect my workout? Everything I've read indicates fatigue will be greater, but doesn't that go away a while as your body adapts?

Someone told me today that I didn't need to isolate my traps as a beginner.

Not sure if he's full of shit but he looked yolked so now I'm confused. He says I'm doing big compound lifts 2x a week so my traps will grow naturally.

Sounds like horseshit right? Like when I deadlift all the weight is doing is resting on my traps, so how is that working traps? wtf family i was doing my shrugs pretty well

I've been very stressed/busy/sleep deprived, etc. lately. It has seriously suppressed my sex drive, don't always get morning wood any more, etc.

All the stuff one would expect from lowered testosterone levels, which I expect to be from my stress and generally treating myself not too well. Should I be concerned about this? Get blood test done?

Where to find actual wife material qt now that I've made it?
I can't seem to find any in any of my circles

>the office mates
Married women who would(and has) fuck me without second thoughts, women dating other office mates who'd also cheat on their boyfriends who I also fucking see daily. Women who'd steal other womens' boyfriends all of whom are on the same floor.
Recently I started going out drinking with these girls and man did I realize I fucked up when I thought that I was the only whore/manwhore in the building.
>gym sluts
Think office mates except replace office with gym.
>bar/tinder sluts
Do I need to explain? Think office mates except they're not your office mates.
>college friends
Half already have kids or are pregnant, and if not I've also fucked them in the past
>friends I found through hobbies like longboarding/surfing/diving
Out of all the women I've talked to, and despite looking like unstable bitches on the outside, this group seems to be the purest and honest one.
When I mentioned stories about above they were filled with disgust. They're also on long term relationships. My problem is that I'm a wageslave and I can't just keep going out every weekend, so I guess this question now turns to how do I become rich so I can keep doing my hobbies?

Where'd you find the one you're currently with, user?

he's right

>Beginner
>Thinking you need to do anything but compounds

Best nondairy milk alternative? I think cows milk gives me acne.

Okay I'm a believer now but I don't understand

How does letting weight rest on my traps grow them? I don't even feel that shit.

How do I focus losing weight in my lower belly?

you just started lifting, dw about outer vs inner bullshit, close grip and paused shouldnt be used as assistance, but one when u plateau strong lifts and start intermediate programming these lifts should be cycled with your bench about every 2 weeks.

That's not what's working your traps obviously

then what part of my compound lifts are because unless I work them directly I just don't feel them

Deadlifts + some row variation should have your traps work enough.
Not sure what you mean about resting weight, sounds like what you'd do on a squat, which is unrelated.

I mean like when I'm deadlifting the weight is just resting as I grip, how is that activating the traps at all is what I don't understand

I can feel them a little when I row but I try to get as horizontal as possible so it mostly works the lats

is it really the end of the world if I train my biceps and triceps 2 days in a row? They still recover a little in the 8 hours of sleep, right? Not like its a permanent thing, just the way my schedule works I need to get 2 gym sessions in a row once a week

You'd make more gains if you just hit them once and waited until next week

When you dl upper traps are just under tension, so you won't really feel much. If your traps weren't working, your shoulders would have a really hard time staying in place during the lift.

My left pec is very obviously smaller than my right, and my left nipple is higher as a result. I've been lifting for 6~ months with dumbells only. What can I do to fix this?

true, kind of understand now thanks

Yes, you are acting retarded, stop overloading yourself otherwise you will get fucked up and might get a ticket to snap city.

Interesting question OP. I would think that the fit person can more efficiently convert muscular work into distance travelled, and maybe more efficiently convert energy stores into ATP. I doubt it's significant enough to bother considering from a practical standpoint though.

>Let's say we have two dudes who weigh the same but one of them is a slob and the other is an athlete who can run 5 miles without breaking a sweat. If they both run that same distance
75 kcals per 100lbs of weight per mile jogged or ran, assuming flat ground. There's a very slight dependency on pace, but generally speaking it is entirely weight-dependent. You can find a calculator for this at runnersworld and other mag sites, or you can derive this yourself from the MET calculation formula.

>Why the fuck are my triceps disproportionate?
>I have an underdeveloped inner chest
Body dysmorphia.

Always cardio for aesthetics. Lean always looks better, and it's quicker to get lean than it is to gain muscle mass. Any fool can lose 2lbs+ a week by just not eating so fucking much, but it takes hard work for a noob who isn't /fraud/ to even gain 0.5lbs of muscle a week.

You should read about the program from the actual program's site or from the books. It gives explicit instructions as to when to move on.

Isometrics. They don't work. Don't bother.

Yes you can. Longer version, it depends, the leaner you are, the more advanced a lifter you are, and the more severe your cut is in terms of weight loss, the less likely it is that you can build or even maintain muscle in a cut, but as a newb who is fat? You can.

Any resistance routine that will work for a skelly will work for you, too. But look up Lyle McDonald's article on bodyrecomposition.com about "training the obese beginner" for a long discussion on various points.

It's a meme for one-rep maxes for press, bench, squat, and deadlift. The number of full-size plates "pl8"s on the bar. 1pl8 is 45lb bar plus 1 45lb plate on each side or 135lbs. Or 20kg bar with 20kg plates if you're on the continent.

Convict Conditioning. Or, US Army FM 7-22 and the basic training workouts there. DBs alone aren't much help

>How do I start living a life I'm happy with ?
Try modeling after a hypothetical. Ask yourself what would the person I would like to be, be doing? Then do that. Remember, self-esteem is earned by doing esteemable things.

How long depends on what's eaten. 30 min for a small whey shake or maybe one bagel, a couple of hours for a steak and potato meal.

Yeah, not a doctor here. But how's the rest of your health? Is your doc pushing pills when he should be telling you to lose weight or do some cardio or meditate? Have you seen more than one doc?

I know docs. There are ones that, no matter what, wanna cut you. There are ones that, no matter what, wanna drug you. Then there are ones that always wanna find the least intrusive way possible to get you better.

Which kind are you seeing?

>I can't seem to find any in any of my circles
Gotta change your circles, user. Seriously may need to engage some dating marketplace apps or websites. I personally know a couple that got together through ChristianMingle, they've got a kid now.

>Where'd you find the one you're currently with, user?
The grocery store. I did "day game" before it was called that. Married over 20 years. I highly suggest all young guys should be getting into "day game" with randoms whenever possible.

Acne is acne, it's primarily hormonal and genetic. There is no substitute for milk, it's great, assuming you're lactose tolerant.

I had a consultation with a personal trainer and he said I should be eating 2500+ calories per day. I'm not always hungry and don't feel like eating that much, can I just drink a shit ton milk and have it be the same shit? I'm 140lb 5'9". What about protien powder? Can I just drink a bunch of that until I get 140ish grams of protien for extra calories or should I only do 2 scoops per day? Should I drink it on rest days too? Is it bad to lift 5 days during the week and take 2 days off on the weekend?

Also how is pic related workout for a super nub beginner? I was doing some on machines and some with dumbbells, is this bad?

You'd have to be super active, at 140lbs, to need 2500+ kcals/day in order to gain weight. If you're not that active, it might get you fat-fucked.

Monitor your weight daily and track a 3-day moving average of it. If it looks like you're gaining 1lb a week or more (today's moving average to moving average of a week ago), then drop the calories a bit and keep watching. It's impossible for someone not on steroids to gain weight at 1lb a week or faster and not have most of it be useless fat.

Protein powder is good. Also if you can tolerate it, a can of evap milk just before bed is a good way to slam 500 kcal quick and get good protein besides. It doesn't matter where the kcals come from as long as the calories in and calories out match your goals, and you get your macros.

That program is the first phase of Starting Strength. SS is the gold standard of super newb beginner barbell programs. Get the book and follow the program, there are a couple of stages after that, the whole program should get you pretty strong and used to barbell training and in a few months you'll be able to move on to more advanced programs.

Sheeit man wrong image. This is the one i'm doing, not starting strength. So how many cals do I need? My paper said my TDEE is like 1500 based on my weight and stuff, would like 2100 work? I don't wanna be a fat fuck. i'm around 11% BF right now according to the electroshock scale thing at the gym

Also i'm eating reletavely clean for the most part, turkey, oats, eggs, bananas, bread, avacado, etc. Should I be monitoring my carbs and shit from milk?

Do SS instead. PPL is a meme, and a bad one. After you get through with SS, do one of Rip's intermediate programs, or do Lyle McDonald's generic bulking program. I will upload a copy of Practical Programming to volafile dot org /r/fit and a copy of Starting Strength if I can find it.

Target around +300-500 kcals from maintenance. But the key is, watch your weight as I described, and adjust the diet based on results. And weigh and measure food and count kcals.

"Clean" is a meme. It's all cico (calories in vs calories out) and iifym (if it fits your macros). Google the "twinkie diet" and the "mcdonald's marathoner", this is serious shit. Not to belittle those choices of foods, they're great, but that's because they give good macros and vitamins for their kcals, don't worship the "clean meme."

For your part, since you're gaining weight and working out, just make sure you hit your protein minimum (at least 0.8 or better yet 1.0 grams per day per lb of your lean body weight, use 140g for ease) and get at least some fats for your hormones, which will be easy with 2000+ kcals/day, and don't worry about the carb count.

Do I need to do arms more than once a week to really get big guns? I only have one dedicated arm day and it's Saturday I do 4 exercises for Bis and 4 for Tris

You're a faggot. I know this, because you have a "dedicated arm day" LOL.

yeah i've got a leg day too.

So lads, I have a question. I was lifting for a while but bulked too hard and got fat so now I have to cut. Problem is, i spent like 2 months not going to the gym. Can I do a beginner strength program (like 3 days a week squat bench/ohp dead 3x5 workout) and then on the other 4 days of the week do hypertrophy focused workouts? I thought if I do the beginner strength routine I can see where I'm at in terms of strength and then see if i could squeeze out any extra strength on the cut.

I'm at college and I eat at a dining hall/cafeteria. I think a big problem for me is not eating enough protein. How can i make sure i eat enough protein each day without being able to weigh my food? I can look up the nutrition info on most of the food in the dining hall. They have scrambled eggs every morning and it said those have 11 g of protein per serving so i should probably eat 3 servings of that and then at lunch what should I do? Just go for whatever meat and beans and broccoli i can find and not eat anything else? I'm on a cut right now so im trying to keep protein high and cals low

Body dysmorphia doesn't answer the fact they are legitimate different sizes.. body dysmorphia is a mental illness not a physical trait you dingus

What's a good bf%to maintain on a bulk?around 15%?

anyone elses nips fluctuate in size? they looked small earlier today but i looked in the mirror just now and they were bigger and puffier than ever. full disclosure i'm fairly sure i've got a minor case of bitch tits

Trying to combine two programs into one only accompishes one thing and that is fucking both up.
Understand that most programs are designed to balance stimulation, recovery and adaptation. Or train, rest, gain in other words.
If you mash two programs into one you just doubled up on stimulation and removed recovery and therefore also adaption. That means you'll see zero gains.

It's possible (not always a good idea though) to train daily, but combining two regular programs into one is not how to do it. And doing it while being in a caloric deficit is double stupid.

Whey protein!? That was easy, huh.

Mainly subjective decision. How fat do you mind being?

That said, there is some research showing that the leaner you are, the better your nutrition partitioning is. That means that more energy goes to muscle and less to your fat belly. As you get fatter, this changes. So bulking while already fat is less effective.

Personally I feel like a stinking pile of lard at 16-17% but that's probably body dysmorphia speaking.

How much arch is ok when benching?
I just give enough space to have room for your hand between my bench and my lower back