/MAG/ - martial arts general

/MAG/ - martial arts general
Discuss training methods especially cross training & conditioning, what martial art or combat sport you do, diet, and general fitness related topics around martial arts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVjx7h-ZtEE
discord.gg/WfgghsW
mcdojo-faq.tripod.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMP-activated_protein_kinase
bodyrecomposition.com/training/methods-of-endurance-training-part-1.html/
youtu.be/8-JmFZGe97M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why am I the only person at my BJJ gym who wants to work on their wrestling?

anyone know any good places to learn ameridote?
i want to be able to kill a man in 5 seconds bare handed
youtube.com/watch?v=VVjx7h-ZtEE

Should't have gone to a blowjob dojo if you wanted to wrestle

This cries are pathetic. If you want to do freestyle wrestling why did you go for BJJ?

Opinions on Muay Thai? Started recently, dunno what really to expect, I just wanted something to be able to punch things and learn some self defense lok

muay thai is alright, but it has pretty weak punches and, if you want to punch well find a boxing gym.

On Muay Thai shorts is the tightening string mean to be uncut? On 2 pairs of shorts have got the string was a closed loop rather than two ends you tie like regular shorts..

Thinking to join up for bjj next month. Anything to look out for? Suggestions?

5+ years ago it was considered king... Knowing how punch, kick, elbow and knee were/are essential and muay thai seemed like the perfect base as it included all.

But these days fighters are moving closer and closer to a karate style stance. Legs wider apart, both knees bent the same amount etc.

Muay thai techniques are still important to learn. But muay thai as a base is becoming less and less useful... It's hard to think of a current successful (male) fighter who using anything close to a muay thai stance/base who isn't on a losing streak.

Watch darren till vs donald cerrone... Cerrone is a very good example of a high level fighter who has stuck with his muay thai base for his entire career and been successful until recent years.

Darren till on the other hand representing the newer breed of fighters utilizing karate stance (about the only useful aspect of karate, btw)

I would honestly say learn boxing if you want to learn to hit things really hard and have fun...

As for self defense.. a lot of muay thai stuff doesn't work as well as you'd think. Thai clinching someone in a self defence situation is easily stuffed by clothes pulling.

Can't wait to start capoeira this year

Because they are pussies.
T.bjj bb.

Any boxers in here?
I want to transition from kickboxing to boxing
Are my 12oz gloves too light for training or do I need to get heavier ones?
Also, are boxing shoes needed for training or not? With kickboxing I obviously trained barefoot

just looked it up, regulation boxing gloves for middleweight and up are 12 oz. so you're good.

>Weak punches
Lol never done muay thai I see

you can train barefoot for boxing if you want, but desu boxing shoes are very nice to have and allow you to slide around the canvas more while still being able to throw punches. For practice/sparring, I would use 16oz practice gloves especially if you do any heavybag work.

>weak punches

t. someone who has never done muay thai. They may not have boxing levels of punches but to say they have weak punches in ignorant.

My dude that user said for defense not compete in high level mma.

you also sound like a triggered boxerfag who knows hed get his shit pushed in by a nak muay

Thanks man
I'll definitely get shoes if I decide to stick to boxing because maybe I'll miss kicking, who knows
I'm not interested in competitive fights anytime soon so I'll just get 16oz boxing gloves like you said
One more thing, what shorts do you wear? Boxing shorts? I currently only own long kickboxing pants and I'm not sure if I should shorts right away or just train with my long pants until I'm settled with boxing and stick to it

Dudes i need help here i really want to start martial arts, did 6 years of judo, 1 of wing chun and 1 of taekwondo, i want something technical to practice for the sake of it, to gain dicipline and enjoy the process, i loved to perform precise movements in wing chun but the place closed sadly, what can i do?, 1 block away they practice taekwondo, aikido, northern kung fu and jiujitsu, there's also karate close by

Tai chi, best combat experience ever

You didn't join the real and active Official Fitness Server on Discord yet?? ??
Share ideas, routine and posture advice, motivate each other, awesome stories, feels, food and diet.
For those who want more adventure, we have a contest: post a pic in begin of the month, 1 at the end. Then users vote and the winner gets prize money!
We have lots of guys participating, but only one Female. So femanons dont leave her to be alone

We accept people from all fitness levels: fat, average or athletic. As long as you are encouraging and motivating you are most welcome!!!
discord.gg/WfgghsW

I have a very broad question for all martial arts

How do you tell a good gym/dojo/whatever from a bad one?

I intend to start a martial art this year, I don't know which one, but I have no recommendations of places. I'm skeptical of small gyms because they don't give confidence and big gyms look phony and expensive. What are good indications of quality that I could look for in a gym? Or indications of poor quality as well to avoid it

Lol at dance fighting

>How do you tell a good gym/dojo/whatever from a bad one?
I'd like to know this as well. I tried several different boxing gyms in my area but none of them were teaching how to fight (footwork, slipping a bunch, identifying openings, etc). They were all oriented around bagwork cardio. How do I find a gym that actually teaches me how to fight?

>They don't spar
>You can get a black belt in a few years
>No one competes in tournaments
>Board Breaking and stances over practical application/sparring
>A red master belt on a 30 year old
>You're a beginner and there aren't people there that can fuck your whole world up
>mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

That's just a few. I got most of that info from that blog post and my own experiences at my gym compared to people that go to mcdojos. Most any place will let you sit in or have a free session before you decide to get a membership.

I'm doing muay thai, gym and yoga, I'm starting with bjj as well. Gym at 7:30, other things later at night. I work and go to university. Will I burn out?

honestly I just use a couple pairs of pic related. Pretty much any shorts will be fine as long as they don't hinder any of your lower body movements. It sounds like you're used to kickboxing shorts so that might be more comfortable for you. Basically any shorts will work fine as long as it never gets in the way of footwork. Good luck with your boxing brah, GOAT cardio and very rewarding.

expect to get your ass kicked, try not to spazz and have fun

From the general on /asp/

What to look for in a martial arts gym:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

What to be wary of:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

Any Judoka in here? I'm getting salty over IJF's continual rule fuckery, but I still love this shit. I do train BJJ on the side to get more mat time, though.

aikido is a meme
taekwondo might be useful and fun
northern kung fu might be what you re looking for (fun, precise movements) but shit for real situations
jiujitsu could be fun and also useful
i have bad experience with karate, just a really dumbed down version of muay thai

Kyokushin Karate is badass though.

Had some great Anderson Silva moments in kickboxing sparring a couple weeks ago.

I was sparring this guy and I could walk him down and get him against the ropes, I felt like I was moving in slow motion against him and he couldn't do much as I picked and chose my shots. Did this a repeatedly in the round.

Then my next round I sparred against a strong experienced wrestler, I opened with a naked leg kick and he checked my kick with a brutal knee spike. My shin still hurts.

no experience with that, i did some bullshit that definitely wasnt kyokushin
but if the guy who asked has a chance at kyokushin, then definitely try it

Use 16oz for training
10/12 is for actual matches

Competitive judoka who doesn't think the IJF rule changes are all that significant here. Change my mind.

IMO most of the changes either leave the game itself alone while making matches more interesting, or serve to focus attention on the most judo-like techniques. This is okay because judo rules have always been designed to shape what people train and respond to new ways people try to game the rules.

does anybody have a good strength and conditioning program geared toward MMA?

could you link it?

You should mention that manlets should never fight like this. The only reason that works for Till and Conor is because they're long as fuck.

16oz

What's a good martial art for an older guy (53)?

He's not wrong. Unless you're genetically gifted with power, your hands will be significantly inferior to a boxer. The reason being that you split your training time between different limbs. 40% punches, 40% kicks, 20% elbows & knees. Whereas boxer is 100% punches.

Jiujitsu. Obviously lower impact than striking arts (boxing, muay thai, karate, kickboxing, etc.) and also lower impact than other grappling arts (wrestling, judo, etc.)

>Lol at dance fighting
have you ever fought a dancer? they have rhythm and make surprisingly good fighters

Yeah but he's not talking about that, he's talking about capoeira being shit

MT is know for bad punches. Because punches don't get scored the way kicks and clinch are. L2martial arts.

My own experience (I test myself regularly by breaking normed boards):
1) Punching is really just technique, all strength exercises weaken the punch.
2) Kung Fu style standing meditation for too long also weakens the punch.
3) Too heavy a bag also weakens the punch. Stay with "half your bodyweight" at most.
4) Speed comes from relaxed muscles. If you're too slow, do Tai Chi or something (Tai Chi is the best exercise for this in my experience).
5) Breaking boards and also MT style padwork is the best test for punching power aside from hitting some poor dumbass, If your punches and kicks hurt the padholder, you're good to go power-wise.
6) Martial arts is supposed to be anaerobic, but aerobic training gives much better endurance gains for fighting for some reason (Can't explain it, but that's what I found by self-testing).

Stuff that is overrated:
1) Sparring
2) Strength and Conditioning
3) Interval training
4) Fist conditioning (not needed - learn to hold the fist correctly like in old school boxing, karate and kung fu and you can break boards at least without any conditioning - it hurts a bit but there's no injury)
7) Boxer punching power: Karate/Kung Fu has harder punches (but isn't nearly as good at comboing and putting it together, but YMMV)
8) BJJ (Slam or leg lock to win 100%)

Stuff that is underrated as fuck:
1) Shadowboxing. It's the most important exercise there is. If you do only one thing, do shadowboxing, it trains everything, power, speed, endurance, footwork, bodywork
2) Body conditioning: Abs exercise won't help you against a punch to the liver/stomach/spleen, but body conditioning will.
3) Checking kicks. Fight ender right there. Don't check the shin, check the foot.
4) Dean Lister. Watch his youtube videos, train a bit with a pal and tap BJJ black belts in a few weeks without any more training.

>i have bad experience with karate, just a really dumbed down version of muay thai
karate is not a style, but the Japanese classification of martial arts, just like kung fu is not a style and martial arts is not a style.
i have done nearly a decade of formal training in Goju-ryu it incorporated all important aspects one needs to be a well rounded fighter

Don't blame your tools for a shit job. I've actually sone a little, don't get me wrong, its flashy and not overly practical in its practiced form, but it does give you some very useful skills.

>•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
That is wrong. FIghting by itself isn't exactly athletic because you need to be relaxed, relaxed, relaxed in both striking and grappling. The downside that as soon as you get the trick of being relaxed, you don't really burn much calories anymore, it's like playing the drums (good technique drummers are always fat). henc,e good boxers have a running pensum like half-professional long distance runners - the boxing by itself won't burn as much calories anymore when you are at a certain level.

>•No sparring
That's so 2000's. Thankfully, even the MMA dumbasses get it into their heads, finally, by now, that light sparring at most is the best, if you do it at all.

>No physical conditioning
That's bullshit right there. Aside form the fact that even most boxers just do some crunches as conditioning, even the notoriously crazy conditioned Thais do push ups, pull ups and crunches and that's it. Again, look up Dean Lister and other Abu Dhabi champs, they don't work out aside from grappling.

I have dreams where I fight people and don't do any damage or all the punches are just glancing hits. I've boxed for a long time and sparred for even longer so I know what I'm capable of but everytime I get into a confrontation on the streets I always have this nagging feeling my punches won't hurt them even though I know it won't be an issue. Is there anyway to get over this and what is it called?

I have these dreams too. Nothing you can do about it. If you're getting into confrontations a lot on the street in real life though, you may want to reevaluate the circumstances of your life that have led to that.

>train a bit with a pal and tap BJJ black belts in a few weeks

That will never happen

>Shadowboxing

Definitely not underrated? Everyone worth their salt recommends it

>sparring

Are you kidding mate? How are you going to implement learned techniques and deal with real scenarios if you don't spar? How are you going to deal with pressure and being rocked if you've never felt it before?

>S&C overrated

What the fuck are you saying? I can see the strength argument sort of but conditioning? Absolutely nuts. Even if you're relaxed and a master of breathing you can't just be a bum in the conditioning part and expect to perform exceptionally.

>Boxer punching power
The more you do something the better you are at it. Boxers have the best punches in the world.

dude you got trolled way too hard mate, he is obviously joking lol.

underrated

Why are boxers so retarded. Listen motherfuckers, we are well aware of your training, and we took the shit that actually works and removed the bullshit. Your art is shit and useless outside of a ring.

>and removed the bullshit.
like ___?

head movement. Seriously, watching boxing is almost cringey, seeing how they bring their head to the enemy knees

You're dumb as fuck. Head movement does not mean exclusively waist level. Conor was pull-countering against Nate. How does that not constitute head movement?

Go watch Silva vs Franklin and tell me that's not head movement.

Aka removing the bullshit and keeping the good stuff. You just agreed with my point

What is the difference between regular Jiu Jitsu and BJJ?
There is a regular JJ class in my city and I am interested in it as with my job it is realistically the only class I can go to and I want to have some other activities during the week than just the gym.

There is a regular JJ class in my city and I am interested in it as with my job it is realistically the only class I can go to and I want to have some other activities during the week than just the gym.

There is a regular JJ class in my city and I am interested in it as with my job it is realistically the only class I can go to and I want to have some other activities during the week than just the gym

bjj emphasizes groundwork, jj is more balanced between ground and standing.

I can't muster the motivation for marital arts. I've tried 3 or more times and I gave up within a few lessons. I don't think I'm a naturally aggressive Person but I want to learn because I know how valuable a skill it is. Wat do?

Oh thanks, how do i know the differences between styles of karate and what to expect? Also kung fu sound good, just want some technical execution as well

THanks anons!

Most places will offer a few free lessons, just go round and try a few. You will be able to tell pretty fast if it is any good. Most of the time you will find there is no bad arts only bad teachers.

Anyone here experienced the jumper's knee and managed to heal that shit. PLease tell me how.
I made a thread about it but ask here since I got that from boxing and muay thai.

Stop talking about lister and such, they roll more than you lidt and they liftrd more than you wull ever roll and spar.
Not mentionning that Lister is a special kind of phyisical beast shows how much you drank the kool aid.

Regular Jiu-Jitsu is usually trash because it doesn't focus on things that can be trained at full speed with a resisting opponent.

BJJ is very heavy on groundwork, but you'll get legit good at that stuff by sparring a lot.

Boxer here. Does anyone else go week by week with differing levels of energy? I want to be able to do 3 rounds of the pads with ease however I seem to gas on the 2nd. I currently go 3 times a week but recently stopped doing my runs between sessions because I felt like if I conserved more energy for the sessions themselves I'd impress my coach more. Any general tips on having god-tier conditioning?

This thread is terrible

user your body adjusts it's energy output to your expenditure. If you do less cardio you get more tired quicker.

More reading for you, basis: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMP-activated_protein_kinase

Pretty good reading: bodyrecomposition.com/training/methods-of-endurance-training-part-1.html/

Bookmarked those. Will check em out later, thanks.

Get this all the time, feel like my arms just crumble whenever I land a hit in my dreams

I'm an American, so I just referenced our olympic team's website for affliated boxing clubs and chose the nearest one. So as long you're looking for a karate, judo, taewondo, wrestling, or boxing club in the States, that should work.
No idea about other countries, sides the guidelines previously listed.

I feel like this all the time. only wrestling classes my gym does are when im at fucking work its not fair

Effective head movement doesn't mean you go that low nor is it a common standard across every boxer. Head movement can be different depending on what type of fighter they are, what stance they use, or who they are fighting.

I've heard Joe Rogaine spout the same shit and it has some truth to it but, its flawed. Of course in martial art that involves kicks & knees you don't want to be ducking or dipping as often as you would in boxing but, saying head movement is completely useless is ridiculous. The style of who you are fighting, their level of aggression, and skill level in throwing kicks would dictate how much you would use head movement. If they punch more than they kick and they aren't picking up on your rhythm and you make them miss why would I not use head movement. Are you saying that ALL head movement is useless or are you saying head movement specific to boxing is useless?

If its the latter I get it but, there are always things that are sport specific that aren't translatable to other combat sports. The Philly Shell for instance isn't going to be seen outside of a boxing ring but, you also aren't going to a see a Muay Thai stance in a boxing ring either because it less effective for the sport which specializes in throwing punches. Its also dumb to say its not translatable outside of a ring because anyone that is untrained will not have a dogs chance in hell of touching you if you can move your head properly in a fist fight.

I agree, the more traditional martial art stances are becoming bigger because they're easier to set up some easy footwork and angled attacks. Haven't kept up with mma recently, but a big bonus to the Karate style stance is also being able to fight off the fron't leg in my opinion; things like a lead round kick or lead side kick can be decent range attacks in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Not to mention the ease of setting up turn kicks

For anyone that fought/fights amateur/competitively, how do you get into the mindset to fight or I guess another way to phrase it would be not being afraid to hurt your opponent?
I had my first amateur kickboxing fight back in January and lost 30-27 x3. There's a lot of reasons why I lost but for me the biggest thing was not having that "killer instinct" needed.
Is it something that you can only be born with? Does it develop with more time in the ring? Do you just sort of snap?

It's a function of practice, testosterone levels, empathy and how badly you need to win. If you've trained full power a lot, have high testosterone and competitive drive and can sorta not care about your opponent as a person then it's a lot easier to wreck them over basically a game.

I'll say this as someone who played football and rugby successfully but had to struggle to develop that killer instinct: it can leak out of the field and into the rest of your life. I was always a different person during the season and eventually realized I didn't like that guy and stopped cultivating him.

Hopefully it won't take that for you to succeed, but be aware of your conduct outside of the ring.

>watching Till to see a karate stance

My man what are you talking about here
I agree with the trend but Till is not a good example here

Hey pals I started boxing and after a few minutes my shoulders get tired and my arms start to lower how can I get better at holding my arms up ?

>Tfw legit Muay Thai gym recently opened up in my city
Gonna go check it out soon buddehs

Ever watch a boxing match? Ever notice that sometimes they touch their hand to their head a lot during the fight? They do this out of habit to remind themselves to keep their hands up.

Try it out sometime when you spar and get in your rhythm. How frequently you do it is up to you as long as it isn't excessive and doesn't become a tell for when you are going to throw a punch.

if you just started, why not see where you are after like 6 months at least? did you think you'd have TBE stamina right away? jump rope, speedbag if you want strong arms

Thanks anons!

Been playing a fuckton of Kingdom Come lately
It's gotten me interested alot in HEMA and Historical Medieval Battles
Who here SwordKnigga?

youtu.be/8-JmFZGe97M

lmao I looked that stuff up only yesterday.

Looks dope as fuck but if you actually want to practice it you have to get yourself some gear, which costs around $3000

I got major concussion during sparring.

Safe to say that was the end of my kickboxing training.

Like dancing

Boxer here with 10+ years. 16oz is a better choice for training, you can have lighter gloves durning competitions. Normal runners will do .you should invest more in gloves and headgear .

>$3000
You can get a starter kit for like $300

I have the same thing too. I'm now 3 months into BJ but I now make a lot of progress
You just have to give it time.

*BJJ and i'm talking out the aggressive part. It took me a few weeks to spar full on without being scared

see MMA is about keeping the useful parts and removing the bullshit.

Is it possible to git gud working the bag starting from nothing with nobody to train me?

One year of training here with a 4th degree bb who spent 30 years in japan
Cant believe why it isnt more popular
Shit is ruthless and full contact. Got KOd twice in december. Not funny LOL
Already trained lots of disciplines, specially BJJ
Regarding resilience and physical training there is nothing like kyokushin

Has anyone made a significant increase in their cardio during practice? specifically bjj and judo

i love them but i cant seem to find anything that carries over to that type of cardio and its pissing me off that i get gassed too quick