My 6-month gym membership ends in april and i've been thinking if it would be a good idea to make a home gym but im not...

My 6-month gym membership ends in april and i've been thinking if it would be a good idea to make a home gym but im not sure if i can afford it. I live in shitty party of eu so i can't get power rack off craigslist for couple buck. Basically i have to buy everything brand new except plates (if i will find any). One problem is that i can't squat due to degenerative disc disorder, but i tought maybe i could create some sort of belt squat contraption.

Anyone here has home gym? How to deal with no dumbbell rack?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gwd-wLdIHjs
ironmaster.com/categories/dumbbells-kettlebells/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Idk I have i have one but maybe a 2x4

>I live in shitty party of eu so i can't get power rack off craigslist for couple buck
Check out strengthshop.de regularly. They often have large discounts on their racks. Also really great customer service, so maybe you can even get a discount if you ask for it.

>i can't squat due to degenerative disc disorder
Yes you can. Go find whatever retard told you that and kick him in his face.
It's extremely controversial whether you can even call it a disorder.

>How to deal with no dumbbell rack?
Dumbbells are overrated. Personally I miss doing heavy DB rows, but other than that I'm fine with barbells. I have a couple of specialty bars to mix things up with though, which I highly recommend.
A set of gymnastics rings, a couple of kettlebells and some resistance bands also give you a ton of extra options.

Perhaps you should just keep going to the gym.

>One problem is that i can't squat

stopped reading there

neck yourself

You have a dumbell rack its called a floor.

For DB's it depends on what you are doing/what you lift. If you don't go super heavy, or do a lot of different exercises, get a cheap pair of spinlocks on Amazon or something. If you do a lot of exercises/heavy/have limited space Powerblocks are pretty nice. I've only finger fucked that at the store, but I've heard on good things about them.
>Dumbbells are overrated
Maybe, but they are still very nice to have.

>Maybe, but they are still very nice to have.
No argument there, buddy.

>It's extremely controversial whether you can even call it a disorder.
i bet you know better than me what is wrong with my spine. Thanks man, you just solved my problem

How was it again?
Newspaper titles: local man kills himself on homemade guillotine - his neighbors heard him shout "light weight, baby! Light weight!" just before the drama. Police is still puzzled.

Not sure about where you live but in Australia a second hand set up is cheaper than a year of gym. Brand new- maybe 2 years membership...
Plus you can always sell it, can't sell an expired membership

Meant no offense, user.

Disc degeneration used to be seen as structural damage due to wear and tear. That was 20 years ago, but sadly many doctors aren't exactly up to date with the research.
Today the consensus is that disc degeneration is like wrinkles of the skin, and there is no clear relationship between degenerative changes and back pain. The fact of the matter is that many many people show clear degeneration on imaging, but are 100% symptom free.
In fact, degenerative disc "disease" is actually not even accepted as a diagnosis when assessing the cause of low back pain. There are a few known specific causes of low back pain that can be accurately diagnosed, but DDD is not one of them.

I don't tell you this to shit on you or disrespect your life situation. I'm sure you're dealing with a painful condition, which fucking sucks. I tell you this so that you may change your outlook and perhaps become determined to do something about it.

Squatting is just moving. Just by sitting down and getting back up with no external load, entails large loads on your back. What difference does the addition of a barbell make? At this point in time, it may make a big difference, but then start with something lighter than a barbell. Your back will not learn to tolerate new loads and positions unless you make an effort to teach it. I'm not telling you to begin squatting if you don't want to. I am telling you to slowly and gradually begin exploring your movement repetoire, and then challenging it. This is how rehabilitation is done.

There's no way to "solve" your problem in a hurry, unfortunately. But it is absolutely going to prove solvable if you put in some effort and do so in a smart manner. If you cannot be convinced of this, then I'm sorry to say but you've been mindfucked badly by uneducated doctors.

i had constant problems with lubar pain since 2005. Fucked up my spine couple times when i tried to squat (before i was diagnosed) and 6 weeks ago i tought i will try to squat once again, started with bar and felt so i added literally 25 lbs and fucked up my spine again during first rep. It took over 5 weeks for the pain to go away.

>What difference does the addition of a barbell make?
additional weight that causes spine compression which leads to pinching nerves near degenerated disc

Start here to peak your interest.

youtube.com/watch?v=gwd-wLdIHjs

When it comes to modern pain science, the rabbit hole is very deep.

Compression is already there using nothing but your bodyweight. Adding extra load increases compression. It's not a question of either/or, it's a question of less/more.
You can gradually build up your tolerance to load and compression if you're smart about it.

The additional load is only there for 30-60 seconds. Squating correctly improves structural stability around the spine (especially when combined with overhead presses). The stability gained should more than make up for 3 sets of 30-60 second loading with 5 minutes rest in between (3 times a week).

I mean really... we are talking about 4.5 to 9 minutes a week spaced out.

If you can’t handle such a little amount of stress, how are you even living? How do you get groceries or move furniture?

While this guy's got a bit of an attitude, he's right that you don't want to avoid stress.

Yes, subjecting yourself to training/external loads is stressful. That is the entire point: stress, recovery, adaptation.

The trick is of course to find the right amount and the right rate of progression. When talking about chronic pain, this is extra tricky. But the principle is the same. And if you don't try, you'll never get better.
You can't rest yourself to a more resilient back, unfortunately.

Right here brosef: ironmaster.com/categories/dumbbells-kettlebells/

because it takes literally a fraction of a second to pinch the nerve and it "turns on" pain

I don't know if you even know how does it feel so i will describe it. There is no pain when everything is fine but when you do something that will move your spine in the wrong way, disc moves and pinches the nerve which causes constant pain. It feels like your spine is broken and it radiates through your legs. You can't sit, walk or move at all and you just want to die on the spot. You go from feeling nothing straight to agony.

To be clear, I’m not advocating that OP even start with the bar here When I first started doing squats, I started with nothing, then “goblet” style with grip plates until I could safely do the bar (I was fat). If OP started with nothing and added 2.5 lbs a workout, it would only take him 19 workouts (6-7 weeks) to get to the bar. In approximately 3 months, he could be squating 135 lbs / 60 kg.

>but when you do something that will move your spine in the wrong way

A proper squat doesn’t involve movement within the spine. You are supposed to isometrically contract to keep the spine from moving within itself.

>If OP started with nothing and added 2.5 lbs a workout
before i was diagnosed with my condition i was doing this but my spine got triggered every time i had 80kg on my back. I did same shit literally 4 times in a row and it always ended with weeks of lumbar pain. I wasted over a year in the gym because of that.

>80kg

What the hell man? That’s 176 lbs. I thought you were some guy that couldn’t squat the 45 lb bar.

How about you just stick to squating less than 80 kg? This should keep you in decent shape.

>How about you just stick to squating less than 80 kg?
like i said previously, i fucked up my back with 1 rep of 90lbs 6 weeks ago. I wish i could actually squat or deadlift but im physically unable.

>This should keep you in decent shape
My legs look ok. Im doing only leg press + leg curls and extensions with babby weight.

Those beans are 30 euros each. minimum. That's just 240 euros in vertical beans.

You can get a good for 400.

Also, do you really want a Olympic barbell?
The differences between 28mm-hole and 50mm-holes plates is humongous.

You know they build houses out of wood, right?

Don't waste money on a dumbbell rack. Just get a set of adjustable dumbbell handles (not the overpriced square pieces of shit that only go up to 50lbs and cost $250, the ones that you put plates on). Older style ones can be found pretty cheap on kijiji/Craigslist.