Pullup v. Chinup

Let's settle this once and for all.

>what is the best variation and why

>be me, DYEL
>can do 3 sets of 8, 7 and 6 reps
>be me, DYEL
>can't do a single pull up

How do I fish this?

If your arms are struggling, stick to chin-ups.

If your happy with your arms, do pull-ups.

Back development is going to be good with either

Wide grip lat pulldowns boi

Also, chins are better than pulls and anybody who tells you otherwise is a fucking eunich

Ok, I'll incorporate some of those in my routine. I was doing lat pulldowns for three months but with close/medium grip.

Oh and I agree, I like chin ups better.

Just do whichever feels more comfortable
I personally feel like wide Pullups hurt my shoulders more than necessary and they feel unnatural

Are pullups supposed to work your brachioradialis a lot? I've been doing chins the last couple months and for reasons not worth typing out I found myself having to do pullups yesterday. I did about 10 less than I can normally do and I couldn't make it as high as i can with chins but my brachioradialis were on fucking fire. Is this normal or am I using to much of my arms and not activating my back enough?

do both you pussies

yes, this is normal

Pullups if you want more back activation

Chinups if you want more bicep work

Both are good to include in your routine/vary

> the harder excercise is the lesser one.

Pull ups actually have a functional use where chin up just get to the point of an ego excercise where you can go on forever.

you're supposed to go down all the way right?

I see lots of guys go down to like a 90 degree angle on chin-ups and wasn't sure if there is some benefit or reason for it

If you want the most out of the excercise you do full rom in slow controlled motions.

Pull ups every fucking day.

Stopping at 90 is half repping at best.

They grow your forearms insane, mine are solely decent because of pull ups

Chin ups for sure.

There's a greater range of motion. It works your back just the same as a pull up. Utilizes biceps on top of back which is why you can do more usually.

> works you back the same
It doesnt

pull-ups and it's not even close. no one will give a fuck if they see you do 200 chin-ups but if you can do 20 pull-ups they'll applaud like the beginning and end of a star wars movie at an american movie theater (except TLJ lol)

both have their place, but wide grip pull ups are the best.

You should be able to do both, preferably. Same with front squats and I guess Sumo deads.

I'm doing SL for three weeks now, I just do conventional deadlifts and back squats. Maybe down the road after I've built a solid foundation I'll add more variations. For now I'm doing the program plus some accessory work.

Also I apologize for the absolutely incomprehensible first post I made.

As a kid I could do a few chin ups, but couldn't do a single pull up. So I'm gonna say pull ups are better because they're harder and seem more functional. If you were climbing a cliff or something you wouldn't position your hands the way you do when doing a chin up. I do both exercises, though.

Edit: I mixed up pull up and chinup, lmao.

I meant chin up is better

You're a fucking idiot, If you were climbing a cliff you'd have your hands facing away from you just like during pull ups.

I find that this isn't an issue and functional is just a meme buzzword. Do whichever you like more, they'll carry over to each other at the end of the day.

I do not like that my pull-ups are limited by forearm strength since I perform vertical pulls for my back work. Similar to the idea of using straps for pulls so that posterior chain is worked maximally as that's often why you pull and not for forearms.

I find it much easier to grind out weighted sets of chin-ups than pull-ups and it's much easier to touch chest to bar to be able to measure or quantify a rep and not everyone can do this will a pull-up depending on anthropometry.

AMRAP front squats are de fuckin wae. Good job following a proper program.

dont you tell me how to climb a cliff you motherfucker

Suck my cock you retarded faggot

the names for the exercises are switched

Thanks user, I'll check them out. After I'm done with SL I was thinking of either doing Madcow or Greyskull. Thoughts on it? I want to get strong now, but after that I want to have some aesthetics. Like pic related, I love this mode.

>muh functional strength

Tell me, when was the last time any of you climbed a mountain? If you have, how often do you climb mountains? If often, why don't you just practice at an indoor rock climbing gym? Would that not be more similar to actual climbing and thus have more carryover?

Nigger are you stupid?

Shit are you me ?

Dying DYEL skelly here; I tried pull ups this saturday, and barely managed the same exact figures : 8, 7 & 6

Chin ups are out of question, and don't even mention wide-grips.

No, nigga I did 8, 7, 6 chin-ups. Couldn't do a single pull-up with proper ROM. Maybe it's because it was at the end of the workout but still, it's embarrassing. Oh and I'm not a skelly, I'm builtfat.

It’s because you have a weak mid back and you are probably letting your shoulder blades slide out of scapular retraction and depression

My bad, I'm such a retard that I got chinup/pullup mixed up. I meant chin-ups

I'll keep on trying, then, and fix my form. I also can't do a single dip with proper form, my triceps are shit. Hopefully all these chin-ups and OHPresses will help me.

>90/180 is half
wow

Don't worry user I sometimes log push ups as pull ups on the app and then kick myself for being retarded

Just dump MemeLifts and start GSLP. I have done it with different variations, but after all I feel best one is simple A/B setup. I'm gonna do next three weeks variation what I follow now, after that my program is gonna look like that:

>Warm-up: 3x5 close-grip chin-ups

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

A
>2x5, 1x5+ Bench OR Incline Bench
>2x10-15 DB Hammer Curls
>2x5, 1x5+ Squat OR Front Squat
Extra lift if you feel good >2x5, 1x5+ Closegrip Bench
>2x12 Leg Raises to The Bar

B
>2x5, 1x5+ OHP
>2x6-8 Weighted Closegrip Chin-ups
>2x6-8 Pendlay Row
>1x5+ Diddly
>2x12 Leg Raises to The Bar

Oh and mate, read the book

Thanks for the advice user, I'll seriously consider it. I like SL but I'm always up to accept a better program.

Will you get decent strength gains and aesthetics from this routine?

My workout buddy and I do 3 sets of 10 pull ups
We have been working on type writer pull ups with the goal of doing one handed pull ups and chin ups one day

Ya who needs to pull yourself up if some one pushes you off a rail or the ladder your climbing slips because your boss keeps hiring soyboys and he cant hold it steady.

I have trouble getting better with both. Any helpful tips

0.5/1/1.5/2 after four months, basically I started with empty bars. But I don't eat or sleep enough and I'm ugly

>tfw skellington and can do 5 chin ups completely untrained
feels good man

>not doing neutral grip pullups

>45035577
>> the harder excercise is the lesser one.

By this logic, one-legged bosu ball squats are superior to regular squats, right? Chinups are better because it works the arms more evenly. If it's too easy, add weight.

Chinups work more, whereas pullups are more of an isolation exercise for the lats. Grip width also effects how much bicep is used in each movement. The closer your hands are together, the same amount of back is being used, you're just using more bicep. That's why people talk about doing wide grip pullups/pulldowns for lat width, it's literally just a lat isolation at that point.

Kinda. Are you?

Only one of them is likely to be functional in a real life situation.

I unironically used the bathroom stalls in hs tondo chin ups and pull ups.
We called the bathroom "the social center"

>oh man, why am I able to do 90lbs weighted chinups for reps but I can't do a single pullup
You are retard.

90/180 reduces to 1/2 which is ONE HALF.

wide grip works teres and rhomboids a lot isometrically

pull ups are harder and better
but I do both

Do both? Chins for bicep, pulls for back.

If you’re doing 10+ why haven’t you added weight yet?
Not slating u, just curious

Wtf? In this scenario you only need to be able to do one pull up then

HANDS SWEATY FEET SWEATY

25+ is when you add weight

wat
why do you think this?

Really? I added weight at ten
Not much weight initially but I wanted to stay around 8 reps/3 sets and then amrap without weight
Am I retard

Maybe we're both retarded because I added weight after 3/8-10 as well. Why would you go all the way to 25 reps before adding weight?

Functional strength could be reworded as Training specificity and it is very real and your training should mimic as closely as possible to what you're training for, for maximum carry over. It's the same reason squatting more is the best way to build a bigger squat instead of doing hundreds of meme exercises.

Both is objectively superior.
There's no reason to choose.

what the fuck is going on in that pic lmao

>wide grip
>reduced ROM
>best

Fuck that.

20 PLATES C’MON

don't say that word

I watch TESB on planes and time it so the movie concludes as the flight lands so that I can applaud the pilots and George Lucas simultaneously.

Just so you all know, the original post has the pull ups and chin ups reversed. This has caused almost every post in this thread to be retarded

Chins due to its supinated grip that involves the biceps too.
>but m-muh lats
>implying adding weights on chins won't involve all those muscles too
But I do both anyways.

double brainlet
He's pointing out how obvious it is that stopping at 90° on a pull up is a half rep
Anyway, muscle ups > both simply because people look at me in awe after I do one

>decide to do bodyweight exercises because Veeky Forums says they're easier
>holy shit why are pull-ups so hard
>forearms on fire
>can only do three sets of 6

This is killing me. I heard reverse curls help build forearms. Anything else, because this shit is embarrassing.

But it does.

People say chin ups are better but I struggle more with pull ups so it obviously uses a muscle I don't use as much as my biceps. I usually do chin ups but I might just do pull ups with curls.

dont do wide grip chinups, only shoulder width, otherwise snap city

whats wrong with saying stupid ?

>virgin chin ups
>chad pull ups

>t. broscientist

>MFW you don't understand the muscle dynamics between the top half and the bottom half of a chin up

Never gonna make it

>all the way to 25 reps before adding weight?

You wouldn't

The bar I use (underside of my staircase) is a bit narrow, so when I do pull ups, I'm only a little more than shoulder width apart. is this ok?

chin ups for the greater ROM, although only do Pull ups because it feels more comfortable for me personally and my forearms seems to explode with them

That's not the point retard. There point is why would you train pull ups over chin ups when no one hearing is training to climb mountains

No you do the concentrics, in this case pulling up to the bar, explosively and the eccentric, returning hanging position in a controlled slow maner. 1-1-2 is a good rule of thumb, 1 sec concentric, 1 sec pause, 2 sec eccentric.

I don't know why everyone thinks that you can't climb a cliff with a chin-up, you just fold your palms upwards and use them to push into the ground, like a weird praying mantis.

Pullups for a BIT more back development and "functional strength"
Chinups for a BIT more bicep development and generally a better exercise for aesthetic purposes

That being said, I do pullups cause im not gay (and my wrists hurt when i do heavy chinups)

That's fine, wide grip is a meme.