/run/ Running General - Ultramarathon edition

Do you have an ultra planned for this spring?
What's your weekly mileage?

Current goal, etc. Let's talk running.

Other urls found in this thread:

netflix.com/bq/title/80076413
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is Veeky Forums not /lgtb/.

found out I live near a running track which will make things a lot better. Got too many weird looks running through the city at 5ºC.

I'm used to running at 30ºC, 100% humidity and the change to the cold has decreased my 5k time by over 90 seconds.

Running is legit faggot

i'm on week 3 of couch to 5k. after 28 years of no cardio, shit is hard.

Good luck, are you overweight? Any further goal?

How can you take pride in not being able to run fast or long?

>Fat as fatass until a few years ago
>Found Veeky Forums and FPH threads (thanks, user!)

Current kilometerage is about 50/week, running 3 or 5 times. No races planned, but lots of trails, lots of ice road runs.

Coldest runs were -45C and it does slow me down, but I still feel pretty good about it.

I'm lifting MWF and running TuTh. I ran all in HS and I still like running. No goals planned right now. Just an easy half an hour twice a week. Wanna get my pace up past 7 though, it's been a while since I last ran.

>-45C
How the hell did you not freeze to death? My coldest must've been like -5F. Anything less than that and I'd be on the treadmill.

My GF does ultra marathons, I'm glad she does as it takes a lot of her time and frees me up. I ran with her group a few times, 6 mile runs and it was miserable. It made my body hurt all over and effected my lifting and other athletic endeavors. For cardio I do low impact now. That being said I know her milage and shit.

She runs 30-40 miles a week, one long run on Saturdays and a couple shorter runs during the week. She does six ultras a year. She did a 100k last year and it really impressed me. She was sick as a dog but still determined to do it. She was taking flu medicine the morning of the run and powered through 50 miles. Ultra runners are cool, they all seem so optimistic and supportive.

not overweight (5'9, 170lbs) just never did anything that involved much cardio. played baseball in school.

goal is a 5K in april. doing 3-4 days a week of the C25K progression, on top of my 3 days of SS that i've been doing for a few months now. probably not the best idea to do both at once but i haven't failed on anything so far, haven't injured myself and feel good.

>>-45C
>How the hell did you not freeze to death?
Same way Ed deadlifted a thousand pounds. Start small, take reasonable steps.

I started by testing and switching gear. 1km runs to test, then adding time/kms a bit at a time.

I've gotten frostbite at warmer temperatures. It's important to keep checking yourself.

Also, it is important to stop thinking about speed. There are too many ways that can fuck you up in winter running.

Oh, and when you are done, you have to be indoors. No stopping mid-route, because it is a LOT harder to get warm, than to stay warm.

I lift Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun and run Tues-Thurs-Sat

I find it really hard to do well at both running and weight training simultaneously. Usually I will lift and bulk harder in the fall to spring and then lift lighter and run more spring to fall. Last year I ended with a 100k in the fall but I don't have much lined up for this year. The costs to run all the races get expensive...like $1000 for a 200 miler - and that is just the entry fee. You are $2k for the whole event when it is all added up.

>Ultra runners are cool, they all seem so optimistic and supportive.
I think it is because all competition with others has been left far behind. Don't get me wrong, they still compete, but the competition was over as the taper started.

I ran 2600km last year, and didn't pay race fees for any of it.

Racing is an expensive hobby, but with strava, it can be pretty inexpensive to test yourself against the giants.

I thought it shouldn't affect my weightlifting, but I took up the dumbbells again this year, and it has clearly affected my running volume.

>Go on a evening run
>Not really cold, just chilly
>Almost drown in mucus and saliva
What the fuck? I'm having a hard time running like this. I read somewhere that it's the body's reaction to running in cold weather but this shit is annoying.

enjoy fucking up your joints

redpilled cardio is cycling or rowing

i lick some really hot sauce on a toothpick ~30 minutes before i run in the winter. clears everything out.

Is there any benefit of running marathons or 10 k's besides bragging about it?

Well of course I run all of the amazing trails in my area for free, but at an event - especially one at a remote location - it is special to have aid stations and the present competition of other runners. Virtually running against friends on Strava is cool, but not the same.

this is genius

I do around 20,000 steps a day and do around 60-70 miles a week just walking.

I just started doing some roadwork and I can do 3 miles in 30 without stopping, I heard it's shitty but I'm rather proud of it considering a couple months back I would tire before reaching the end of my block.

Can you run past soreness? Feels like dms how I get a better pace?

Does it make your butt a nicer shape? I just finished a 6km run the other day after being sedentary for awhile and was sore for days.

My advice is to think of TIME not DISTANCE. Instead of "I ran 3 miles", shoot for "I ran for 30 minutes". If you focus on the mileage, then as you get faster you are training less time. Instead, keep the time consistent and just go longer as you get faster.

Consider this - I have completed a 70 mile mountain race and it took me 12 hours. You might think "There is no way I can run 70 miles", but could you keep moving for 12 hours (even if just walking?) Thinking in terms of time seems more "do-able" than in terms of the distance. You walk 60-70 miles per week just casually so, you CAN do a 100k (In fact you do one every week), you just have to find the right pace and fueling strategy.

No.

I know elite runners that have the saggiest buts around. Girls (and boys) that have great genetics and who run have amazing asses. Girls that have less fortunate ass genetics that run...have less fortunate asses.

If you want a nice butt, diet the fat off and lift weights (squats and deadlifts and glute bridges)

I started running 3 times a week (non lift days) in January. When I started I could not run for 5 minutes. Up to 15 minutes now, but I feel like I should be able to do more than that. By 15 minutes of running, I am quite uncomfortable and my HR hits 200+ BPM. I've been stuck only being able to do 15 minutes for nearly a month. Seems like you have to work way harder for cardio gains than you do strength gains.

>/lgtb/

Word. Just a good group of people in general. Word on the street lately is that steroids have been going around the males in her run club. Is that normal? does Test benefit runners?

>mfw all long distance runners I know look like completely shit and are ugly
>they have fucked up joints because those distances are a fuckton of volume for the volume
>mfw as Rip says, a couple hours a week of intense weight training is enough to have the same benefits of normal running most people do
>mfw of all the cardio, running burns less calories, rowing being the most
lmaoing at your lives runfags
you can run a lot but you cant hide

I'm seriously doubting that 200 BPM part

Doing a HM in my hometown in May. Shit's going to be weak since I've been a little bitch with the cold/snow lately.

Doing close to 30-35mi lately per week.

Asian kid broke the Woodway at my gym, I'll strangle him if I see him.

Highly recommend this: netflix.com/bq/title/80076413

Beginning of May, and it's my first.
Ran my first marathon last December, felt that I hadn't trained enough, but did quite well (just missed the top 10%).

No weekly mileage yet, as I just got back from holidays (but I suppose hiking is a good substitute).

I actually wanted to focus on shorter distances and speed this year, but a friend talked me into this, so I'm mostly postponing the speed stuff.

Running on Saturday and Friday evening is an amazing way to see cute girls. I run a popular track here in town and the place is packed with chicks in their 20s.

Too bad I'll never speak to one.

The events have to go a bit further to sell me on their entry fees. Some might be good, but none so far have been better than solo running and strava.

To each his own, of course.

>steroids have been going around the males in her run club. Is that normal? does Test benefit runners?
I guess it would, in the muscle-building stages, but that ends early, in favour of endurance gains. Marihuana seems to be a PED of choice among endurance runners, but I'm not really competitive, so can't say with any certainty.

Nah, it's actually been confirmed in the hospital/at the doctors office. I have tachycardia due to an overactive thyroid.

>Shaved a minute off my 1.5 mile
I am very happy boys

I ran a trail marathon a couple years ago. 26 miles through the fucking mountains. They had an ultra going at the same time, and pretty much the only people doing it were old. To really do ultras, I think you would need to have no career or something to find the time to train.

Trips don't lie. What kind of hot sauce do you use? I really need to try this if it's real.

a 100k on 30-40mpw is impressive, didn't she bump it up before?
I went for 60mpw the weeks before and I was still miserable during.