/fast/ #138 - "I tell you hwat" edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

last

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5468963/Could-fasting-cure-Huntingtons.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

oh thanks user

It's nothing big, I just feel happy about it. I tried fasting before, didn't even make it to 24h.

Today, I'm at 40h fasting. Felt fine yesterday, today a bit sluggish and what I guess you guys call "brain fog", but otherwise fine.

Don't have available low sodium salt, so I'm just getting a bunch of regular salt at times, and using apple cider vinegar as potassium source (bottle lists it at 114 mg of K per 100 mL, or 7 spoons).

I'm also the user that asked about lifting while fasting. I just came back, did my routine with half the number of sets/same reps/same weights, plus cardio. I'm not going to post the program because it's really beginner and there's a bunch of machines, I let the gym trainer arrange it for me and it seems to be working. Later on I'll go for more weights / less machines.

Besides the gym (and now fasting), I'm eating about 1650 kcal a day. I started this at 122.2 kg in 8th of January, today I'm at (see below).

Results so far, for the fast:
Last meal eaten: a bunch of sugary shit and beer. This was 1 AM of Monday.
Weight on Friday night: 107.8 kg
Weight on Monday afternoon: 105.8
Weight today, morning: 105.6 before gym
Weight today, afternoon: 105.3
Weights are all after gym session (unless otherwise stated), which means I'm tired, full of sweat and drank plenty of water to rehydrate.

My guess is that the first 2kg drop (107.8 to 105.8) was from glucose depletion, and now I'm burning fat directly.

thanks for new thread

One more thing I noticed:
anything sweet tastes TOO FUCKING SWEET.

I tried to drink a 0 calorie drink (H2OH! pepsi), and it felt too sweet. Then I tried a sugar-free gum (3 kcal per piece), also too fucking sweet.

This is great, and I hope I still feel this way after finishing the fast, because I always ate too many sweets. I broke free of the addiction since 26th of december, but I still love the taste, so this would really help me out.

It depends on how much excess body weight you have. Some people can go a month but they have to be bowling ball tier. Personally I've gone as long as 10 days when I was around 290 lbs and the only thing that made me end it was a dinner date. I could have gone much longer.

No prob, nice to see you making progress. How long are you planning on going with this current fast?

nice user, congrats keep going youre gonna make it if you keep this pace

Is there anything I need to think of, nutrition wise, if I plan on doing a 18 hour per day intermittent fast and eat one meal a day? Can I just pop a multivitamin and be good to go?

And what do you people do when you feel like you need something to snack on? Just suppress it with water?

SW 195
CW 176
GW 165

Doing a hard dry fast & taking the rest of the week off from lifting (went to the gym yesterday & today) to see if I can make the final drop in one fell swoop. Will continue doing yoga this week unless I become too low energy.

Once I hit 165 I'm aiming to maintain that, return to something closer to OMAD or OMEOD with more calories & better control - I've allowed myself to get pretty sloppy because I've been losing weight (too much bread, not eating in a tight window after the gym). Also going off coffee for this week to see how that affects me. May start drinking it again after the dry fast, but I want to take this opportunity to see if going without feels better.

as many would suggest, going keto would be most effective for fasting
when i want to snack, i just look at my fat, pinch it, hate myself, and then i dont snack. also there are some breathing exercises for controlling cravings and stuff but i dont really remember anything about it, never tried it

You could try to suppress it with water, although that doesn't really work all that well for me.

If it's hunger, the feeling will subside as you adjust to a new eating schedule. It could also be anxiety related.

I'm not putting my hopes up, but I want 7 days. I'll go out later to find the salt I need, so I don't have to drink gallons of apple cider vinegar.

(Speaking of which, for any fatties out there, I found that it really helped me during my diet. It helps you fill full, and some people say that it directly induces fat burning, although I don't really believe in the last part. It prevents glucose levels to spike when eating carbs, though.)

thanks user.

Since you guys are so nice, I'll post my starting body. Can't post current because have no phone atm.

I'm this guy , I'm not a turbo fatass, I just want to shed some pounds because I do a lot of running and cycling where my weight is holding me back.

>using apple cider vinegar
Don't, you'll ruin your teeth.

>haven't told anyone im fasting
>family member comes over and i share my progress with them
>get a lecture about how my organs are going to fail
>expecting a bunch of phone calls once he tells the rest of the family what im up to
well that was a mistake

2 spoons in 500 mL of water/day isn't that much. It's about as harmful as drinking lemon juice.

Just make sure NOT to brush your teeth right after drinking it (and this goes for any meal with acidic shit). The enamel gets softer with acidic medium, but after a while, due to the saliva diluting it, you are safe. General rule is at least 30 min after.

I drank 9 spoons today because I have no source of potassium, but I'll rectify that today.

I just use the excuse "tomorrow I have to get an exam which require me to be in a fasted state" if anyone asks.

If they ask what kind of exam, just say something about the liver.

You can drink it with a straw.

Don't tell normies about fasting, they can't differentiate it from anorexia.
If your family genuinely cares about you and you want to tell them how things are going, you should have them look up Dr. Fung's book, there's probably a free pdf somewhere.
If they care enough about you to read it, they might educate themselves.

>well that was a mistake

I've had no good come from telling people about my fasting. It's fucking weird to watch - even otherwise-intelligent seeming people will go on autopilot the second it gets brought up, either start pulling out the most generic "you'll go into starvation mode" arguments, or demanding that I eat & trying to take my personal agency away. There's never any nuance or attempt at an honest conversation, just "this is bad because everybody knows it's bad".

Why do people react so strongly? It's like there's this primitive instinct that kicks in that makes them feel like they're a hunter gatherer living in a small tribe, who needs to make sure everyone close to them is eating as much as they can whenever they can because food's a scarce resource.

Has anyone else here experienced muscle twitching while fasting?? Possible causes?

People get comfortable in what they think they know and get angry when people take them out of that mode.

There's also people who feel important telling you things and if you take that away from them, they also get angry.

You're not getting enough sodium

sounds like you're not on the snake juice

Nice. Try weighing yourself after waking up. I usually wake up and go take a piss. That's the lowest you'll be throughout the day usually. Your gym sessions will become increasingly harder as your fasting time increases so get ready for that. Buddhaspeed

I am
I've been snaking the last two days. The day before I had a meal so I didn't snake tbqh

True, especially

>People get comfortable in what they think they know and get angry when people take them out of that mode.

I feel like comfort addiction in general is a problem. For the most part people don't want to live in a reality where getting results means being willing to feel like garbage in the short term. They'll stick with half-assed methods for years without seeing any results, just because they're able to tell themselves that maybe someday something will change & this will work.

I do it after the gym because it's realistic (I'm hydrated, just spent energy) and because I don't have a scale at home, I use one at the pharmacy.

If I wanted to be really specific about it, I would drop a further 700g from the scale, because of clothes, shoes, sweat, etc.

As long as you can see yourelf losing weight it's all gucci nigga

>If your family genuinely cares about you and you want to tell them how things are going, you should have them look up Dr. Fung's book, there's probably a free pdf somewhere.
i kind of tried to bring that up but i was just met with the whole "sounds like one of those whacko fads to me"

i mean, they do care, which is why they get worried about this sort of thing in the first place. you can't really undo a lifetime of conditioning on people

it's just the way people are, im afraid

yeah, it works

pic related

>i mean, they do care, which is why they get worried about this sort of thing in the first place. you can't really undo a lifetime of conditioning on people

They don't care about you, they care about being right. On top of that, if they were the ones who instilled shitty dietary habits in you in the first place, they'll look even worse.

The only person you truly cares for you, is yourself.

I felt more prone to cramps while I was dry fasting and therefore not ingesting potassium. Makes sense. I just avoided any stretching after feeling like that

If I drink my snake juice all at once and shit my brains out did I still get my electrolytes or did I just shit them all away?

Hi boys.

Anything I should know before I start my first 36 hour fast?

don't eat

don't eat

half the point of electrolytes is to retain water

if you're shitting out all of the water in your body, you tell me if that's a good thing

why not 48 hours?

Posted this in the last thread, just wondering if I can get some answers ._.

30lb overweight, I'm 5'1, and have small bone structure. Kinda have some muscle left over from high school sports but not that much. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take if I fasted using the snake diet to shed the 30lb, given the only thing I consume is snake juice? I also plan on living a fasting focused lifestyle after that.

eat

Also, some dude said it'd take 15-20 days, was wondering if anyone knows *how* or *why* that would be? Others on a totally different website said it wouldn't be possible at all.

don't eat*

Don't eat for 36 hours
Eat after 36 hours

depends

calculate your TDEE

probably a couple weeks
consume plain evian water in addition to snake juice, its way too concentrated on its own, especially if you arent planning to strenuously exercise during your fast.

Fair point, but if I’m replenishing the water throughout the day do I still have the water retention properties of the electrolytes I just consumed?

About 15 to 20 days because you will be losing about 1.5lbs a day. 15 at the minimum, 20 max depending on your metabolism.

i can't tell you the exact science of it, but i can say that one day i was taking too much snake juice and shitting out a TON of water, next day i felt god awful, then i felt much better after i had a more moderate amount of snake juice

really it's just a poor idea to drink it all at once, just sip throughout the day

if you dont like the taste either use a bit less sodium/potassium, and/or add a bit of cayenne pepper or something to give it a kick

Am I stupid to do a 7 day water fast without being monitored by a doctor? The stuff I'm finding online says anything over 3-4 days is dangerous.

Hey guys, i've got some potassium tablets. Are they okay to eat when fasting? It's the only potassium supplement i could find in my city
the no sodium salts here are 30% potassium salt at most

Ah I see.

I have a filtered water bottle and I was worried the sodium/potassium would clog up the filter. So just get it in, in the morning and then move on kinda thing.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

My TDEE is 1,785. Not to sound dumb but umm..how would I go about calculating how long it'd take me with that info?
Yeah, I always drink about a liter of water alongside the liter of snake juice. As a rule of thumb for a relatively sedentary person, you should put about one teaspoon of everything in right? I've been doing two but I'm confused asf now since I saw people saying only one of each.

>If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
>If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

I'm about 21% BF and I got to the gym and lift heavy 3 times a week, will I die of exhaustion with OMAD?

First, multiply that by your level of activity (you know, 1,5 for medium level, etc). Let's say it's 1,5;

That's what you spend in a day: 2677

A kilogram of fat has ~7700 calories (counting muscle in already). So if you eat 0 calories, you will spend 2677 a day and lose 0,35 kg per day. Don't consider the first few days (water weight), and you get about 44 days for 15 kg.

My perpetually fit buddy told me I HAVE to eat protein after a workout, otherwise the workout is only half-effective. Is this bullshit? Or should I aim to workout towards the end of a fast for optimal gains?

Also, this is at minimum, because you will lose more than that per day.

>what is Post workout insulin

Thanks, that was helpful :)

What kind of meal should a OMAD meal be? I lift 3 times a week, so I need some carbs, but then I'll feel like shit during the 48 hours fast.

How much calories is your typical OMAD meal? And what macro distribution?

I googled that and it said I should eat simple carbs instead?? Sounds worse.

I'm the same BF with the same general questions.
Someone answer!

TDEE-500
Don't try ridiculously low calories on your OMAD, I tried doing 500-1000 calories a day and my metabolism grinded to a halt. Try to eat just a little under maintenance. Hard to do on OMAD, but do your best.
Fat > Protein > Carbs if you're trying to lose weight fast.
Protein > Carbs = Fat if you're active through the day and want to keep your muscles healthy.

I could take more of carbs on the first days of the week, then as I get closer to my 48 hours I would take less and less carbs, this way I don't feel like shit from cutting carbs. Sounds good?

Yeah, that's a good plan.

Or just pick a mode and stick to it long enough to achieve some actual results. You really want to go into and out of keto each week? Sounds like a lot of effort for minimal results to me.

definitely stupid if you dont fast regularly
even still i dont think ill ever water fast

Well I need carbs to workout, so I will have to go through keto every week for my 48 hours fast no matter what

how do you know your metabolism slowed down?
I'm currently doing OMAD and staying around 1k cal.
123kg 182cm 28

No, you don't need carbs to work out. That is just wrong. Especially once you become keto adapted-- which you never will be doing keto in 2 or 3 day runs. Do whatever you like, doesn't effect me. Your plan just doesn't jive with my understanding of relevant facts. Just trying to lend a hand.

So OMAD 5:2 is pretty much keto diet with 48 hours fast a week? Why aren't people just calling it a keto diet with a fast instead of using retarded terms like OMAD. You're not going to lose more weight eating 1 meal a day, it all depends on your total caloric intake, this is retarded.

You have no idea how insulin works, fatty.

>insulin
Let's not go into meme fitness

The only 5:2 OMAD that makes any sense is one based on keto for all meals. It is more complicated than CICO. (What is insulin? Leptin? Ghrelin? Cortisol? Blood glucose? eNOS? AMPK? aitophagy?)

Yes mom, I won't let me metabolism slown down, yes mom I know I shouldn't eat before bed or I'll get fast.

>6 days in
>constantly shifting between feeling great and feeling like shit and hungry

when the fuck does it end

I was aiming for day 10 but fucked up day 4.
First ever fast, feel a bit guilty but just gonna try again from tomorrow.

>science is a meme
Time for you to stop posting.

mom science isn't science

>if I call it mom science I can disregard it
Try reading a book retard.

Whatever. Stay hungry and fat. No loss to me.

>just google it xD

ok mom

BE WARY OF STARVATION MODE SON AND DON'T FORGET YOUR BREAKFAST

Cope

>tfw she will never love you unconditionally

Doing a 24 hour fast...just trying to get a feel for it..have about 4 hours left and it's been pretty chill...I had a few pangs when my girl was cooking her lunch, but overall has not been too bad..have 2 more 24 hour stretches going to do this week..might try a few days I am row once I'm confident I can handle it.

oh man I'd share some but you guys cant eat any because you're fasting. it'd be a shame if you guys ate something since fasting is soooo good for you.

wow, i'm not the guy you were talking to ... but seriously gtfo of /fast/ if you're too much of a lazy POS to figure out how insulin is related to fasting you dumb fuck

im doing omad but im not sure how is it different from just eating lets say 3x500kcal vs 1x1500
could someone explain?

that does look pretty good
i'll be sure to try some of this once i'm done fasting

I just started fasting again super hard, just jumped from high carb high sugar to basically 0 carbs and tonnes of protein. Does anyone else get feel thirsty? it's like a dry sensation in my sinuses and nose so it's difficult to quench by just drinking water. Also I feel really hot, my entire body feels warm and itch like I'm having waves of heat similar to a fever.

When you eat you trigger an insulin response, which promotes fat storage.
Keeping your insulin down to a single trigger a day, while getting all of your normal calories and nutrients, guarantees that very little of what you eat can actually get stored as fat.

Thinking of dropping some acid at the end of a 5 day fast (before refeeding). Good idea y/n?

What are the studies backing this up?

>What are the studies backing this up?
what are you asking? what studies backup the existence of insulin response? your not serious?

Yes good idea

Here's another interesting addition to the benefits of fasting

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5468963/Could-fasting-cure-Huntingtons.html

Drinking my first bottle of snake juice. It's actually quenching my hunger slightly, which makes me feel like I'm cheating. Am I gonna be ok?

This is actually a great idea