doing ss for a month now

> doing ss for a month now
> because I saw little progress, I did a pull routine from ppl workout today
> Realise SS is a meme

Other urls found in this thread:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fooling the world into thinking SS would actually get you in shape is the greatest trick Veeky Forums ever pulled

Now do a round of GOMAD, it’ll get you huge and you won’t get fat I promise :)

Its truly a meme of our lifetime

Define "progress" and "in shape". Will SS get you stronger? Yes. Will SS get you bigger? Also yes. It won't make you shredded, nor does it claim that it will. If you did SS and still made no strength gains, either you are not eating enough, not sleeping enough, not doing the program, or have AIDS. Or, maybe you just have shitty genetics. How you will look is mostly determined by your genes.

>do something for one day
>I am expert now

You barely get a pump by doing 3x5 bench 3x5 squat and 1x5 deadlift. I did get stronger but overall SS is more inefficient

SS is a low volume strength routine, if you just want a pump it's probably the worst choice

Fucking idiot, SS or SL will build muscle mass but you will not be a bodybuilder, will only help your numbers. Keep with SS until you improve your lifts and go to a PPL program faggot.

or
or he could do a good routine right away instead of waiting to graduate from mr rippetoe's school of doing fuckall

This is how I know no one who claims SS is a troll has ever actually read the fucking book. Its purpose is to build a functional base level of strength utilizing linear progression for as long as that is possible to allow you to succeed on more intermediate programs.

It will NOT get you a fucking beach body nor is its goal to do so. Fuck you're all idiots.

Strength training is not about the "pump".

So wait, after only a month of doing one thing you're unconvinced that it's effective. After one session - ONE SESSION - of something else, you're certain that this new thing is?

I'm not even defending SS, but your logic is non-existant, user. In fact, I'm gonna go ahead and call you a moron. Moron.

>doing fuckall
t. weak faggot

strength base is a meaningless buzzphrase, strength trianing is a continuous process. training for mass is inseparable from getting stronger. one should strive to get stronger. ss is hilarously devoid of upper body volume, lacks horizontal pull, any sort of prescribed assistance or guidelines on how to appply assistance to the existing bare bones of a program. the book as a list of exercises but no programming, the practical programming addendum has another slightly less pathetic program. it is in general a dogshit routine for just about any goal.

Maybe not a "beach body", but it is designed to build muscle quickly (as "quickly" as is possible of course). Rippetoe says he found the fastest way to make changes in the body of a beginner was to add weight to the bar.

then what's the point of it? to do the meme sport of powerlifting that is only won by frauders contorting their bodies with 10% ROM

KYS my dude

>lacks horizontal pull
"My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: fuck barbell rows. Really. Fuck them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine."

>any sort of prescribed assistance or guidelines on how to appply assistance to the existing bare bones of a program

"My program is 3x/week barbell training until the strength gains produced by linear progression are exhausted. That's it, the whole program. Adding a bunch of other stuff in, or even adding a little other stuff in makes it NOT MY PROGRAM, because it fundamentally alters your response to the stress. Do what you want, of course, but it won't be my program if you do it your way."

Again, no one has ever actually read the book, have they.

To get strong enough for whatever you want to do afterwards to be effective.

But go ahead and do PPL with a 115 bench and then when you fail you can come back here and complain that you've been lifting for a year and seen no progress.

if you think 3 sets of 5 for 3 exercises 3 times a week is anywhere close to anything that could potentially be considered a decent workload you are likely a weak faggot indeed

ITT: dyels with weak lifts who think they know more about beginner programming than a 30+ year strength coach

why are you quoting rippletits like its gospel, im not arguing that the book differs from its general perception, im arguing that he;s fucking wrong

30+ years of being a lazy fatfuck

strength coach that failed to produce a single impressive/relevant athlete in said 30 years.
he's a good businessman by getting people into buying his book, that's the height of his accomplishments as a man

>has very successful business
>lazy

SS is something you do while you learn form, and you continue doing it until you hit the plateau at which point you do whatever you want, lifting for aesthetics, isolation, etc.

Even the intermediate routines tend to look a bit like SS.

It is not a meme, it will make you stronger, faster than other routines. The only meme about it is that you deload when you hit the plateau, rather than switch to something else.

>durr its easy to push your maxes on major compound lifts every workout, its hard to do (meme exercise) x (stupid high reps) at 5% of your max every day

> working out for anything other than strength

i benched 160kg at tng and 152.5 paused at 78kg bw if that is weak then so be it lol

it is easy as fuck you obese amerilard,my left ball gets more of a workout on an average session than you do in a week
5 reps of fucking deadlifts a week in 80-85% range lmao

This.

There are people right now sitting in front of their computers completely triggered by reading 3x5, thinking to themselves that this is stupid because it differs from other things they've seen and know. And the thought has not crossed their mind that maybe the author of this program that they hate to the core of their very being for whatever reason is probably quite familiar with many other training methods but has probably chosen the one he found to be more effective through his EXPERIENCE.

What kind of fucking businessman has thirty years of experience and then comes up with the idea that
>in order for this book to be succesful, it's gotta suck!

I don't give a shit about whether SS works or not. I'm way past that point in my own training and it's not relevant to me in any way, but I think it's ridiculous that so many people will shit all over it and get positively furious by the mere mention of it. It's just lifting weights for fuck's sake. So SS has you doing 3 fewer reps than your favourite instagram model, so now it's utterly retarded? Really?

>What kind of fucking businessman has thirty years of experience and then comes up with the idea that
his book is 90% kinesiology and movement patters, 8% list of the possible exercises, shit that's readily available online. he's a good businessman in a sense that he ges people to buy what is essentially a printed sticky.
and youre clearly not past any point in your training if you think SS is a good routine or that rep range is even relevant to the issue with it

The guy could be a 40+ year strength coach, who gives a shit? I've had teachers in high school and college who were teaching for longer than 40 years and they were still shit. Most beginners are trying to build muscle to look good, so they don't really give a shit about "building a reliable strength base" or GOMAD. Rip my tits even said if anyone deviates by adding just one accessory they're exiled out of the cult. I did SS and then made my own routine, which SS did help make me come up with. I kept track of everything and by doing things my way I gained strength at a faster rate. All SS is good for is a point of reference.

I'm not really sure what your goals were with the program, but SS is primarily for beginner strength training. Your main priority would be to get yourself pushing big numbers and as a result you would gain some muscle as a side effect. Then with that increased strength you should be more capable at building muscle on another program, because you've laid the foundation. If you're just now trying a PPL and only did one month of SS you probably are a beginner and are weak. I think the 1/2/3/4 goal is good to shoot for and you'll likely get better results if you hit at least those numbers before doing a bodybuilding program.

In that month you just did you should have increased your squat by 30+lbs, OHP by 10-15+lbs, bench by 15-20+lbs, and I'm not sure on diddly but at least 30-40+lbs. Maybe try switching to the Kethnaab version of SS since it will have a bit more volume and let you hit your arms and other muscles more. I don't know what your results have been so far or how closely you're following the program (or what you think the program is).

Kethnaab: newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html?m=1

>still looks like shit

>or that rep range is even relevant to the issue with it
So what is the issue? All bullshit aside?

lack of row (or even vertical pull in the most basic version)
poor upperbody volume
poor deadlift volume
lack of assistance

there are readily available programs that correct all of these issues and more yet people still hail ss like its the be all end all of beginner programs

only yourself to blame

theres a reason t-rex is in the sticky

>Fuck you're all idiots.
This is the ultimate redpill

One of the many reasons SS is good is because you jerk-offs keep doing meme isolation exercises in the gym. Building a routine around big compounds with FEW accessories targets almost your entire body per session. By repeating the same lifts you also build better technique and neural adaptations.

The only people who shit on SS we’re doing it wrong to begin with like not eating enough. I know because I did the same at first.

When you actually recover well and make fast as fuck strength gains, you’ll get bigger.

The fact that you feel like 3x5 is not enough just means that you haven’t reached that point where you have to try hard every session and then every session becomes very very difficult but manageable and you just manage to progress somehow.

How the fuck is 3x5 not enough?
If you are lifting heavy it's plenty.

>lack of row
I've been lifting for some 10 years and I fucking love rows - seal rows and heavy deadstop DB rows in particular. However, I have also gone for long periods with zero rowing, and can tell you for sure that if you're doing chins and power cleans, you are absolutely set with regards to back training.

As for volume, it's largely an individual matter. If your lifts are progressing, the volume is appropriate. If they aren't, it isn't. Simple as that.
I'm sure there are people who'd fare better with more volume than SS has you doing. But I'm also sure that most people will probably be fine on the basic program.

>lack of assistance
This is the only point you make that I agree with. From a bodybuilding perspective, you need more exercises. From an injury prevention perspective, you need more exercises.
On the other hand, I think it's probably a smart trade off to cut away some fluff in order to force the beginner to focus on the few things that are really going to make a difference. You can always add stuff later, I suppose. I mean, this is a fair critique to make, but as SS is meant for the total beginner, I don't personally see it as that much of a problem.

for squats, as you squat 3 times a week and accumulate decent volume.
there are weeks on ss where you do a total of 15 reps of bench for fucks sake.

From Rippetoe's point of view, you're doing 15 reps of squatting each session and 15 reps of pressing each session. So an equal amount of volume. The OHP is simply alternated with the bench press because you can't prioritize one over the other, according to him.

You don't have to agree with that, of course. I encourage you to make your own experiments and see how your body responds.

I do SS but I don't follow the AxBxAxx or whatever it is routine
I just go ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB
So I'd never have a week with only 15 reps, that is low for an entire week.
But 15 reps per session is plenty if you are lifting heavy

That sounds stupid but who am I to judge. How is that working out for you?

It's working fine since I'm not made of soy.
I think what's more stupid is to take 4 fucking rest days a week.

How long have you been running it like that and what has your progression looked like? I'm curious.

Sure you did kid.

Lifting noob here. Idk about you but I need the rest days. I'm a dyel so I need em to recover from DOMS. So usually on Tu/Th I'll go running and do a bit of calisthenics to supplement because I feel like I'm not being pushed that hard on SS. The workouts are so simple and I am seeing gains which is good but I used to run 60 miles a week so I don't feel totally dead by the end of my SS workouts which is kind of weird.

Answer this
No rest days to rest is supposed to diminish or ruin recovery after stress. If you're steadily increasing weight I'm curious where you started and how many weeks you have been training.

>I used to run 60 miles a week so I don't feel totally dead by the end of my SS workouts which is kind of weird
Classic runner gone strength training

I did SS by the book and I added weight every week as they described I should. Sounds like you didn't follow your routine or aren't eating right. SS good for noobs who can't into form so that they don't snap their shit up on isolations.