/fast/ #138 - "Physical and mental efficiency" edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Fasting is easy once you achieve ultra instinct

>have ultra instinct
>fast for 30 days straight with 12% bf

I'm the first poster in the last thread (just saying for progress' sake).

Today I bought a "light salt with extra minerals". Has Sodium and Potassium, plus magnesium, zinc, calcium, selenium and some other I forgot.

I hit the jackpot here, fellas. Now I just need a multivitamin

Nice find, how long are you planning to fast for?

Can I do cardio while fasting?Should I drink more snake juice if I do?

Keeping expectations low, so 7 days. Currently 64h in.
If I can pass that, then till I drop to 95 kg (currently at 104.7), just so I can stay below 100 when I gain water weight back after I finish the fast.

Also bought a bunch of teas today. The need for sugar is really low, and I can appreciate the taste more.

Definitely, cardio is great to do on a fast. I especially like it because each calorie burned is coming directly from my body fat. Also, with nothing to cook and no time eating we have plenty of free time.

Sounds good, I'm in a similar situation to you. I am currently sitting at 101.5kg and I am 56 hours into my fast, however I am looking for 5 days as I also want to keep my expectations low and this is only my second fast.

What teas did you get? I am drinking a bunch of redbush tea atm.

these posts from the last thread have me really fuckin spooked, especially the part about possible organ damage

i'm currently on day 6 of a planned 40 day fast, but now im considering cutting it back to 14-21 days or maybe even switching to OMAW for a while

is it generally recommended not to waterfast all the way down to your goal weight, but to switch to OMAD or IF when you're within range of it? there were a few anons in the other thread that mentioned something to that effect

im currently 6'4 240lbs (109kg) and my approx. goal is 190-195lbs (86-88kg) prior to may. is there a more reasonable routine within that time frame that i should switch to, or should i stick with the water fast?

whoops forgot to link this post too:

Is there a way I can ease myself into Keto? I started by eating what I could in only one meal and go as long as I could without eating until the next morning. I've been trying for a week but I end fall through on my diet in a day because I get really hungry and irritated.

Do you mean a keto diet or ketosis?

stay as close to 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs as possible
eat for a few days on your typical 3 meal pattern, then try omad. low carbs makes fasts much less painful, including

this needs to be addressed
bump

Is fasting something you have to stop doing cycles of once you reach a certain weight?

Yes, water fasting your entire way to a normie weight is a bad idea. I'd imagine it'd be a lot better to do it to a weight where you'd still have a little belly 20-25% and then losing it through a slower method like CICO or leangains to give your skin time to adjust, and to start building muscle at the gym to help fill that space.

No reason to rush weight loss too heavily, because it won't end well.

I'm not but I haven't really seen any evidence of this. Bilirubin is a byproduct of a catabolic state but fasting is the least catabolic method of losing weight.

Shit, I bought several, and they are all in local (non-english) names, so I'll be brief:

Matte with cinnamon
Green tea with Mint and pineapple
"wild red fruits", stuff like blueberries, plus hibiscus
Apple tea
Ginger tea
Mint

By mint I mean spearmint/garden mint.

Some have health benefits, others are just for taste, so I don't get even more bored for not eating.

Careful with those teas, make sure they don't have any sugar calories because they might kick you out of ketosis.

I wouldn't recommend it. We can fast as long because we have a lot of fat to burn, tissue to reuse, etc. When you get near your goal weight (which is a lean body), your body will have less options, so there is evidence (and deaths) over organ failures due to that.

I'm stopping at 20kg above my goal weight. Most of my fat will be on the chest/abdomen, so there's plenty for my body to "eat". This may be a bullshit reason, but I want to be safe.

One or two of them have 0,7 carbohydrates or something, but it's nothing to worry about. None of them have added sugar.

Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Am keto adapted, keto for around a year. Previously had only gone so far as 60 hours fasted. Currently 122 hours fasted. Goal 168 hours. Start weight (hydrated but little water retention b/c strongly keto and keto adapted) 200.0, waking this morning was at 195.6. Going well so far. Plan to refeed w/ keto food and perhaps move into a 48 hours/refeed cycle--OMEOD style. Feeling great. Am using electrolytes.

alright, well, thanks bruvs.

i was planning to go the full distance from 255lbs (my starting weight) to 195lbs, but i think i'll stop the water fast around the time i hit about 210-215lbs (that's about 20-25% BF for me as per your recommendation), so i guess that's in about 2-3 weeks or so. then, i'll switch to either a more moderate fasting routine or just going back to plain old CICO.

also, if this all is the case, then somebody may want to change the op line that says
>If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

hmm. honestly, this was by far my biggest concern. i'm not even so concerned about the loose skin (although it is a worry) as i am about the potential for any permanent organ damage. i mean, for what it's worth, it doesn't look like the guy was drinking snake juice, but rather taking a multivitamin, and if it wasn't water soluble than it's possible he wasn't getting any electrolytes whatsoever for the duration of his fast.

does the body go into a catabolic state in the absence of electrolytes?

What's the average weight loss per day while fasting?

Depends on current height, weight, gender, BMR, metabolism and activity.
In other words there is no average. Try it and you'll see the rate of weight loss for yourself.

Have you guys tried doing meth while fasting? Makes the whole thing so much easier and enjoyable.

I caved at 68hours and ate some eggs, how much progress did I lose?

i'm a day in simply because i can't be fucked to go shopping

i'm 6 foot, ~15,1/2stone, not very active. how much can i expect to lose if i keep on for another say, 2 days?

need to cut two stone before summer, i've been eating and drinking like a retard

You lost -68 hours of progress. Nice work.

Between .5-1 pounds a day

Just had to make a new hole in my belt, feels good. We're all gonna make it lads.

Family is force-feeding me rice tonight, breaking my intended 72 hour at around 48.

Was just wondering. I have been doing it for a couple weeks now. Do any of you do cardio or lifting?

Suppose I'm doing keto + OMAD, and I usually lift in the afternoon (around 5-6pm) and I usually eat dinner right after I lift (around 7-8pm).

Would it be better to fast all the way until dinnertime, or should I eat a light snack (some nuts, beef jerky, etc) about 30 minutes prior to working out for the boost?

On my second 120 hour fast this week, I'm getting close to 72 hours and I want to die. I really want a cup of tea but I've only lost 3 lbs on this weeks fast so far and I really want to make sure I don't fuck it up...

Lifting while fasted is great for burning fat

depends on whether you are just keto or are keto adapted. To me, keto = ketogenic state, no glycogen in liver, keto adapted = have been keto for long enough for cells to adapt to primarily burning fat.

If you are keto adapted, the fast shouldn't impede gym performance meaningfully, so long as you are on top of your electrolytes and hydration. If you are just keto, you might gas out b/c your cells aren't yet primed for full time fat burning and you can't produce enough energy. Avoid explosive movements/sprints.

And muscle.

>force-feeding me

i somehow doubt that. they probably cooked it and were like "dinner time user" and you were like "well, who could resist that?"

>meth

try microdosing mushrooms instead for positive health benefits friend

you're killing yourself with that meth

how do I schedule a 4 times a week lifting routine with fasting?

Does keto adaptation go away quickly? I did keto for 2 whole months, and then took a 1 week break from last Monday to Sunday, and then fasted all of this Monday to start another round of keto. I don't imagine I'm still keto adapted right now, unless that shit doesn't die easily.

Thanks for the info.

They're threatening to take me to the hospital if I don't eat. I either eat tonight or go to the doctor and get diagnosed with anorexia and sent to rehab.

Wtf? Wow that's bad, how much do you weigh?

i fast once a week for 24-48 hours, and ALL my big lifts keep going up week after week.

at first I thought the HGH, leucine, and testosterone boosts might have just been a meme. But after doing this for a couple months, my lifts show no sign of slowing down.

Best progress I've made since I had my beginner gains when I first started lifting. I'm very grateful that i found fasting.

I also feel healthier, and I've never been able to see more of my abs

I just do a 24/48 hour, then the rest of the week you can clean bulk with like a 5/3/1 program or something

I am not a doctor by any means, but I don't think you'll get diagnosed with anorexia unless you legitimately look emaciated. If you're fit and don't be autistic and explain that you're fasting and will resume eating normally tomorrow, nobody is gonna give a shit. Promise your family you'll eat 5 bowls of rice tomorrow and tell them to get off your ass for today.

what is your gender/height/weight ?

follow up, if you ARE fucking emaciated, eat the stupid bowl of rice and start bulking.

does anyone have that progression pic of fasting that ends with "transcended arctic ice camel" or something like that ?

>tea

just don't put milk and sugar into it?

how does one achieve that?

>keto for around a year

holy shit, that's harder than water fasting imho

>only 24 hours in
>feeling like absolute shit

Like all things in life, do it in moderation. I do IF, OMAD and 48 hours water fasts in a single week because of my schedule. Works pretty good for me.

By being Goku.

On OMAD do you stick to Keto diet, hard calorie limit, or both?

that sounds really bad , drugs are bad
well some drugs are bad
coffee is great !

My salt alternative is 66% potassium cl, 33% sodium chloride.

So to get 4400mg potassium from that I need to have roughly 6g, is that correct?

You must be doing something wrong. I'm already skinny and I can fast 24 hrs no problem and workout just before I break it.

there's no such thing as "keto adaption". it's mom-tier science.

It's due to carb dependency. Your body is used to having a high blood sugar at all times, and now it's low.

for loose skin, he said his max was 134 kg and he started at 96.8 kg, so he was 82 lb down from yo-yo dieting

also he is reported as drinking 8-12 cups of coffee a day

nonetheless it's probably safest to stop extended fast within a goal range and do regular intermittent styles of fasting to close the gap to ideal weight

not him / her . i think both would be best for weight loss. low carb omad with caloric limit.

Is this an alternative to snake juice? Found it in the store.

>76 hour fast
>Ate a whole pizza and 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwichs

How bad did I fuck up? Going on 18 hours fasting after my last eating binge and feel normal.

Yeah of course, I've just had shit progress this fast, and I drank a sparking water on monday and I'm worried that anything that isn't snekjuice or water is eliciting an insulin spike? How retarded am I?

I don't think you lose the adaptation that quickly. You should be good to go

bait

Why the fuck are old people so obsessed with young people being fatasses? I just told an older relative of mine that I had lost 20 pounds while fasting, and their response was "that's fucking horrible". No, what's fucking horrible is me having been an unhealthy fatass my entire fucking life.

The other terrible thing is I'm visiting my grandparents in a few months, and I just know they're going to screech about me being thin and gorge me. I just don't get it.

I guarantee if you read the label it'll have way under the amount of sodium and potassium you need.

>catabolic window
YOU TOLD ME THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN REEEE REEEE REEE I'M ALREADY A DYEL SKINNYFAT DON'T MAKE IT WORSE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's been generations since most people (in first world countries, anyway) have fasted on purpose. We're all brainwashed.

It's also been culturally ingrained that the biggest failure of a parent is their kids/grandkids going unfed. Particularly for women, since they're traditionally in charge of this job, but people in general go nuts if they can't fulfill the role they believe their value as a person revolves around.

Will fish oil break a fast? sorry newfag here

Is there some kind of timeline in days for the benefits that happen from fasting to kick in? How many meals before the fast should I eat keto?

Just reached 48 hours here
Feeling like a god

i'm a little over a day in, teach me your ways

I wish I knew, I just did it without giving food much thought

round 1 96 hours
round 2 29 hours in

I'm cheating though, according to various communities. I don't care though, coke zero is delicious and I'm still in a weight free fall.

>without giving food much thought
why did u have to bring food into this my dude, i'm thinking about cheeseburgers now and i'm not even a yank

depends on the fish oil source. The thing is that pure (PURE) fat will not reduce the effects of autophagy (theoretical), but it will still raise your insulin ever so slightly stimulating a metabolic response.

Most people say just to do it if you can find a source that is absolutely pure Omega 3 and 6.

About to attempt my first serious fast, aiming for 48h+. Few questions:

1. I've heard some say snake juice isn't necessary at first. Will it help at all with hunger cravings for these 48h? Should I take it even if I feel fine, or wait until headaches and shit to start?

2. How helpful is lemon juice, ACV, and cayenne pepper for just starting out?

3. I know I shouldn't be heavy lifting during the fast, but in general is cardio or light lifting (just enough to stimulate the muscles) better? Or should I be doing both?

have you been in ketosis ever in your life? Most of your answers will revolve around this.

1. Snake juice, or more realistic, potassium, sodium, and magnesium supplementation should start immediately. You can wait because your body has various stores, but you will run out and start running into issues. There's no detriment to starting the day of.

2. I have no idea, technically this might break your fast, but most sources say the benefits outweigh the fasting benefits.

3. You can lift however you want and do cardio however you want, but you need to be doing something. If you lift heavy, you don't need to lift often, basically. If you cardio, this can boost some of the benefits of the fast besides the metabolic response (more calories burned = more calories required).

Snake juice will not make you less hungry, it's for your blood

If it has calories, it will break the fast. These seem to be supplements, though and some people think that keeping everything your body needs anyway is better.

Whether you can lift is dependant on several factors. Try a low weight and go from there. Cardio is encouraged. If you can't do cardio during the fast, rethink how you eat outside of it.

What’s a window?

time frame

What’s catabolic?

How do I avoid gaining all the weight back after my fast?

Eat only for your new body and not like you still have your old one. You’ll be tempted to gorge but understand that your new operating needs are lower. If you eat like you did before, you will gain weight back.

This is easier when you count your calories; which is especially easy using an app like MFP.

Is it even worth eating a high protein low carb high fat diet before starting a fast, since the amount of protein will still keep me out of ketosis, or is it better than having high protein, high carb, low fat diet?

I always fail my fasts cause of my energy levels being too low on day 2/3, and I work on my feet 8 hours a day, so I can't go without energy.

66% of 6000mg is 3960mg. A lot of people who post here are bad at simple math, is this an effect of fasting?

Also, would taking ketone supplements increase the speed I'd reach Ketosis naturally? They're selling Raspberry Ketones at a local store for cheap as hell but I never bought them cause I didn't know if they'd be any use.

If you've done keto for awhile (2 weeks to 4 weeks) your cells will use fat as energy more readily. That makes fasting a breeze compared to a) carbs-> fasting and b) brief keto -> fasting (still vastly superior).

I try, but I find it difficult to get enough fat into my diet without my protein intake getting too high and keeping me out of Ketosis.

Shit is this thing real? I havent been front loading and probably lost muscle mass.

you'll be fine when the ketosis kicks in brah

72 hours into my first ever fast...up until now it wasn't so bad but I'm started to fantasize about different kinds of food. I just want to gorge myself.