Negative Family

How do I deal with negative parents, Veeky Forums?

I'm 19 and going to move out soon to start my career in about a year. I'm on a self-improvement streak and my life has been going up despite my childhood. I was physically abused by my crazy mom but it stopped after CPS came. My mom always puts down my weight loss telling me I look "sick" (I'm still overweight by BMI) and that I'm wasting time working out.

I don't have a gym (poor) so I workout in my room and will use bean bags or rice bags in a backpack to do pushups or lift. Everytime I'm exercising in my room (45 minutes a day), she "needs something" or wants to check if I'm doing "sinful things in my room alone".

My dad tells me I need to "eat more". They threaten to kick me out for no reason. I study at home (not in college) and they make me do all the housework (she's a SAHM but literally eats and watches TV all day and my dad is on disability for work injuries but says she's "busy doing work") and my younger brother who is an a community college gets to do whatever and come home and argue like an edgy teen and avoid housework.

She told me to stop shaving regularly and because I floss every few days now (can't afford floss too much so I have to use it sparingly but frequently), my teeth look "kinda sicker", according to her.

I "drink too much water" and she makes me drink tap. It's fine because it tastes the same but it kinda sucks. My younger brother thinks he's Einstein and god's gift to the world and makes fun of everyone.

Clothes is becoming baggy but I don't mind (live in semi-ghetto area) and don't go out much (not depressed or anti-social but because I study indoors, I don't mind for now) but she doesn't have spare money to buy me a shirt but will order candy from Amazon regularly or buy tons of coffee.

How do I get through this hell and ignore them to get Veeky Forums? It's so hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2015/10/23/coding-academies-are-nonsense/
topcoder.com/blog/are-coding-bootcamps-worth-it-pros-and-cons/
blog.indeed.com/2017/05/02/what-employers-think-about-coding-bootcamp/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_parent
sonsofnarcissisticmothers.org/sonms.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was in a situation similar to yours man, I just have to tell you to not give up really. Get any job you can and open up your own bank account. Do whatever it takes to move out. Its the only way out.

>going to move out soon
this is how you deal with them. after that, pretty much just give them as much attention as they deserve.

always remember that you're an adult now and can refuse anything they tell you to do. if they kick you out for not wanting to drink tap water or something like that, then maybe they're doing you a favor by giving you a reason to ignore them for the rest of your life.

I'm trying so hard. They always have tried to make me anti-social since I was little yelling at me for talking to a girl at the store, telling me I was fit when I weighed 230lbs. at 16.

They tell me I'm not as smart as "I think I am" because I code and I don't even declare I'm a genius or anything like that.

She beat me three years ago for saying I wanted to make a lot of money when I was older. She says I can't leave anywhere except to church.

I came home around Halloween last year at 7pm an hour earlier than curfew (I was running at the nearby park) and she tried to kick me out because she said 6pm was curfew (stupid lie).

She makes me sleep in instead of studying or working out early but I get up anyway. I "make too much noise" even though I'm literally as quiet as shit.

I get so depressed sometimes.

For someone in your situation I would unironically recommend joining some easy mos in the military for 4 years. Instantly get to leave home, you get college paid for if you want to go later. Only problem is you're still going to be under someone boot until you're out.

what a bunch of niggers

this

Where do you live user

yea dude get out of that house. military would be better than being forced to live with that lady any longer. she has crab mentality and wants you to be worse off than she is for the rest of your life. don't let her.

I'm going to San Jose, CA as a software dev. in a year with a $100k salary starting and then I'm going to join the military reserves (Army).

I thought about military but I want to do it part-time while having a fulfilling civilian career. Struggling with money (have $350 but no expenses). I bought a belt because my underwear and pants fall off now so when I exercise, I have to wear a belt over my shorts or sweats so they won't fall down. But I'm making it through.

I live in SoCal.

>tfw I took the bait

wow what a bunch of faggots. my sister was "Einstein" too and made fun of me for joining the Air Force. she's a paralegal but I work as an Electrical Engineer (struggled in school with procrastination but fixed my whole life up) now and am a veteran. my dad did stuff like this to me but I just manned up and left when I could using them as much as I could since I was a loner.

now I have a beautiful girlfriend who's pregnant and going to be a good SAHM and not a POS like ur mom, a good flat, and huge ambition. keep it up user. i've been there

it's not bait, lol. All my pants and underwear are size 36-38 and I'm a 32-34. You can't tell I wear a belt because of my shirt on top of it obviously so it's fine for now. I can't afford clothes but she can sure as hell afford buying packs of Crunch Bars on Amazon and then yell at me for leaving the light on in my room for 10 seconds at night when I go to the kitchen to get something because I'm "wasting money" yet watches TV literally all day and sleeps for 13 hours.

My advice would be what this user said Just work and save and work and save. The abuse will come. Get numb to it. I still live with my mom and every morning she starts shit and yells at me for something. Pretty much the entirety of my life was her belittling me and telling me how in a lazy Bum who isnt going anywhere in life.

When I do well she then says "oh but I was just motivating you "
But still continues with the onslaught.
Just take it all with a grain of salt and work to get out. Wouldnt recommend military if you have mommy issues like I do. I was going to sign myself away then just told the recruiter no and decided to go to school and work for a bit.

Cant believe I'm typing this on here but..This is really good advice and you should take it op.

good goals you have, user

remember don't relax until you get your goals. shoot high like you're doing

Thats not the part i think is bait, you really expect people to believe some silicon valley company contacted you at 19 without a degree to become a software developer at 100k a year from now when they could just hire an educated guy from India to do it for half?

I'm enrolling in an online code school in a few months and it's a 6 months total program and most people get employed as a software dev. I did a lot of research and even contacted some companies who said that a lot of their employees are grads from code schools including mine.

It's not a guarantee but those are my goals. That's the average starting salary and a lot of tech companies in San Jose (sort of where I live but in a ghetto city) are hiring with that as a starting salary

While I find this extremely unrealistic I wish you luck, and if I could offer some advice I recommend having a more conservative back up plan.

he's just trying to have big goals he's in a super shitty situation so it's good for him to keep going and use it as inspiration.

that's such a shitty life and bummed me out desu.

those code bootcamps are scams bro. this might be difficult to hear but they are. a friend of mine took one of them and couldnt find a job afterwards. he works at a starbucks now

Use this as motivation to get out. Get a job ASAP and work as much as possible. Don't engage in fights, and avoid conflicts whenever possible. Then move out ASAP. It sounds like your family resents you trying to improve yourself and for having some significant potential, so don't let them sabotage you. If you are working close to full time hours at a cafe or somewhere similar you should be able to move out in a few months. You must move out ASAP. Don't let them get in your head until then, because they will try and sabotage you. Military would also be a great option. Just make a move as soon as possible.

my girlfriend's brother went to App Academy and got hired by Dropbox. He was in the Marines and came out with a good job.

>tfw you majored in Finance and can't find good work

I dont knock anyone for having big goals but you have to be realistic. I think OP is letting his desire to leave his situation put too much confidence in some online course that in all likelihood won't get him anywhere.

damn man

user speak to your local good will or church. Decent second hand clothes will help your self esteem and you will feel
Many places have interview clothes they can give you. Like it or not the world judges you on what they see.

You will make it

Sounds like you're a champ and you're going to have a great life regardless of your family's attitudes. Keep being you and move out when it makes sense soon

You're 19. Get the fuck out and get on with your life. Move in with a friend or roommate. Whatever. Just GET OUT.

I wonder why he doesn't hit it with a friend and stay over with one for a few months

I had a decent social life in high school but wasn't allowed to have a phone or hang out after school. She picked me up everyday but did it to make sure I wasn't "being to friendly" with people or having a gf.

I lost most contact with a lot of them and a lot of them moved from my ghetto area.

Thanks, man.

Seeing how you have saved up images of niggers on your hard drive, I can understand why your parents hate you.

>baiting this fucking hard

techcrunch.com/2015/10/23/coding-academies-are-nonsense/
topcoder.com/blog/are-coding-bootcamps-worth-it-pros-and-cons/
blog.indeed.com/2017/05/02/what-employers-think-about-coding-bootcamp/

your goals are pretty unrealistic dude
i would honestly do what other people posted and just join the military

Proud of you user - to be in such a shit situation and to still struggle and fight against it shows true character

Yes yes goy. Join the military and fight for the special interest of corporations and the Jewish State of Israel.

I'll be enlisting in the Army reserves after I settle down and start my career.

As for the code schools, I personally contacted a lot of different companies there and they all said that they have hired and hire code school graduates. Some even named my code school without me bringing up the name.

I read a lot of great reviews and a friend of mine went one and has a good job now and he's 20. Never went to college. That's why I'm pretty confident in my decision. If something goes bad, I can always start a little business and shoot from there.

You can easily do both. The Army has programmers.

you will learn in life that there are not shortcuts. some people are lucky but never believe you will be the exception. i find it extremely hard to believe you will make 100k+ after being in "school" for 6 months. When people that have degrees aren't able to find jobs for years. Also businesses are not easy and again you can't just hope to make a living that easily.

being this stupid

Don't listen to this faggot. I work in electrical engineering like I said but have software developers and some web developers near our department.

At least seven of them I've met were self-taught and a few took a few college courses and dropped out. It's skill based, now, in that industry.

My gf's brother (as an example) got out of the Marines and went to App Academy (not sure which one you're going to) and is making boku money. Cost of living is high there but he has a good place.

POS college kids are just jelly.

hm so a few anecdotal stories disprove what im saying? how many self taught people do not have jobs? and your gf's brother was in the marines and then went into this academy which is exactly what im saying he should should do. military first then go to school?

Even if you don't have the qualification you'll have the skills. Get a portfolio of any software projects you do together. Even if they aren't super elaborate it shows off your skills and willing. Plenty of companies outside software and tech after programmers

Some people get lucky. Most likely outcome of OPs plan is that he ends up paying money for some course that gets him nowhere and leaves him still looking for a job. If OP wants to try then that's fine, but I think he should really consider having another plan to move out as well.

THUGGER THUGGER BABY

>Some people get lucky. Most likely outcome of OPs plan is that he ends up paying money for some course that gets him nowhere and leaves him still looking for a job. If OP wants to try then that's fine, but I think he should really consider having another plan to move out as well.

Jesus, boi. You're a dumb sack of shit. This guy gets it. At the very least, you'll have skills. Code school grads. are hired by NASA, Boeing, Tesla, Google, Microsoft, Java, Reddit, Amazon, Fox News, etc. My company (works on robotics) is on Forbes and hires people without even coding certifications. College dropouts. No college.

It's not luck.

Man the fuck up and move out (but get a job before that so that you dont end up on a street)

This tbdesu
Ur a champ op despite ur shitty familys habits. Ur 19 now so u can do whatever tf u want with ur life so dont give a fuck what ur shitty parents think anymore

ur stupid, lmfao.

bump

Sure, your parents created you but if they don't respect you then they aren't family. Family is someone that respects and supports you. I've completely stopped talking to my family 3 years ago, one of the best decisions I've made. If I had the option to keep the relationship with my family then I would have done my best to keep it, but I had no choice.

what did they do to you? What are you doing in life now?

best rapper alive
ur a POS

Leave.

what have you done to earn their respect?

you're 19. you've literally only ever been dependent on them. you want respect? find a career move out.

I started lifting weights years ago and it really helped make my life fun as well as improving my physique.

My dad was a former boxer and never lifted but was in shape when he was younger, I would say fitter than me, but muscle wise, I was bigger.

He would always tell me to flex for his friends or at dinner and laugh about it.

We’ve always argued but one day he tried to fight me and was talking shit about me and lifting weights.

He sucker punched me, I stood back in shock and he tried to hit me again and I dodged and slammed him into a wall. I put him a headlock and he passed out. I felt like he was really trying to kill me that day and I fought back and almost killed him.

I left home that day and haven’t seen my dad in 4 years.

There is no better feeling than becoming independent. Do it sooner than later.

>can't afford floss too much

it's like $4. That's a lot of money.

I’ll never know this feel. I grew up sitting on my dad whilst he did push ups and hanging off him as he did pull ups. Used to chop wood and bale hay together, good times

>tfw crackhead/dealer brother is in prison, so is junkie sister and other 2 sisters are MIA (havent seen them in 3 years) probably drifting to and from various drug/gang houses or dead so I have dont have a bunch of toxic cunts to hold me back

I have no fucking idea why they turned out that way, we all had the same childhood and it was shitty yeah but how can you pull the "I had a hard lief, yu donut understn :^(" when I had the exact same life?
pieces of shit arent made, they're born that way

>tfw go to the gym with my mum
>tfw my grandma sends me food that matches my macros
everythings coming up Millhouse lads

Americans are cancer. You’re probably the same type of guy that get excited when Trump or NigNog Obama is/was bombing countries you can’t point on a map. Meanwhile your sisters are whores, which is fine, but they’re probably having “relations” with actual fking negroes. The most degenerate people alive, no doubt, are Ameri(cucks/mutts)

Sounds like they are jealous, as your improvement and unwillingness to follow them in their crap lifestyle is a constant reminder to them on how far they have let themselves go. Also sounds like your brother doesnt like the potential compitition in being the only 'Golden boy' in the family. Fuck em. Dont give up, keep at it, dont let them drag you down to their level, instead, set your own level and make it YOURS. You are showing through you actions that you want life to be better for you and are willing to to put the effort in to make changes for the better. Maybe even, your example might rub off on them and they might change a little themselves? :)

My cousin is the same, had a hard upbringing but won’t confront his own problems, you have to take responsibility for your own life at some point

I sure would be offended by that if I was american

>meanwhile your sisters are whores, which is fine
my entire post is shitting on my sisters for being degenerates

what the fuck is your problem cunt?

seriously, are you actually retarded?
the literal first line of my post is me shitting on my brother/sisters, calling them junkies, toxic, pieces of shit and expressing happiness that they are in prison
then I go on to say that there is no excuses for their behaviour and they cant blame it on their past
and your reaction is
>lol, I bet u r ok wif ur sister beeing liek that

are you actually autistic?
please, point to the part of my post that was even slightly positive about them

>spelled mum with a "u"
>get called american

Higher education is for retards or workshy autists. The best people find their own way into employment. Most grads think employment will find them once they get a piece of paper that identifies them as a serf.

Higher education is for retards or workshy autists. The best people find their own way into employment. Most grads think employment will find them once they get a piece of paper that identifies them as a serf.

you're gonna make it bro

Where waa your dad? What was your mum doing? And you? You all should have taught your sisters a good old school lesson when they started ahowig whory behaviour. You can’t be like “woe to me! *crying* why are my sisters like that?!” You’re a man and a brother, you should have total dominian over your sisters until they get married to a man you and your dad approve of.

Accept my apologies for assuming you’re American. Should have noticed the u in mum as you pointed out.

shoulda done SS faggot

you need to go back

ABB?

ay man you are on the right track. i wasnt in sitation that rough but i know what you're talking about. Just alienate yourself and agree.
>your teeth look sicker
just brush it off with "yeah youre right". Still keep doing your routines and working out.
It's painful to live with these people but you'll be out soon. Godspeed

This

I got a summer job/internship for a month at an IT-company, I had very little experience in IT at the time but learned absolutely everything i could while I was there. I tried to be as driven as possible and took on as much work as I could. They contacted me the next summer for another summer job while people were on vacation. Ended up staying there for two years as it-support. Switched jobs to a better paying 2nd line job. A few years later worked my way up to third line. Just try to get a foot in at any company no matter how shitty, even if you don't get paid. Experience is worth a whole lot more than someone who just graduated with a degree but zero experience. Now I don't know how attractive IT jobs are where you're from but after just one year working a shitty IT-support job a lot of other companies tried to headhunt me. Where I'm from companies are screaming for people with experience in IT. Like I said earlier OP, try to get an internship or something like that. It's worth so much more than a shitty online course, even if the course is good and you learn a lot.

You are not alone.

I was a typical good son. I studied medicine so you know I never was after trouble. Yet my mother would spit on me when I bought wrong brand of cooking oil or whatever. It happened about 2-3 times.
I didnt know what to do. since when I stuck for myself she would cry and when she didnt I would feel like shit. All the while this was going I actually approached my uni crush like a boss in the caffeteria surrounded by others.
Mother never hit me but she tried lol, dad worked overseas.
Numerous times Id wake up and mother wouldnt talk to me for whatever reason, then would storm into my room and moan how I ignore her?
I also grew up in sparcity and I worked out alone in my room pushups pullups of window doors etc. She also tried to stop me from doing it, not a lot but certainly tried.

I never drank smoked or went even out and yet I had such a parent treat me like trash. My dad never cared about me or sister. Parents divorced when I was 10.
I started working last year and making money, lived in new town, had sex, but now I returned and I had to stay with dad for some time. Hoping to move next month.

When I got my md, my dad shook my hand and said congrats.
Never got any money or cars like many get from it, not even a watch or smth. And I never asked for a thing in my life.

When he sees me working out he hates me for improving, when I correct him on smth he hates me, when i cook the dinner he hates me, whatever I do he hates that Im working on myself. He is the type of man who will pull others down so he doesnt feel threatened by their progress. I worked like a lunatic on college and now I work in ER and he calls my job simple, and compares it with his working in restaurant.
I never wanted to compare myself with him but whatever I say he must ONE UP it but he cant so he demeans my efforts and achievements.
I hate him so much for that. soon ill move out and cut him off too.
He got into herbalife now and tries to preach me about it...

OP are you black? Asking because your parents act like niggers

point is
It does get better. I didnt speak with my mother for close to a year. and life has never been better she is a cesspool of toxicity and criticism.

dad is borderline retarded and envious old grumpy asshole who cant connect with me on any level beyond women are whores (on which we agree on lel).

But since I was 13 and realized they are both inferior to even be parents let alone my parents, I started to work on my future, studying and focusing on the PRIZE.

So its going well my friend, just keep your eyes on the prize, dont let them rob you of your zest.
Be your own Hero and you can make it and when you get out of it, you will be the strongest man on Earth (after me) since that bullshit builds you up like nothing else.

Sure you'll have some scars, but they fade quickly after you get out of toxic environment and you will have friends and girls and everything you like and love, trust me. But you do have to work and you do have to shut them out of your mind. Dont have mercy when the time comes to cut them off. People like that are like gangrene.

There is a new family waiting for you, among friends you will meet along the way.
KEEP IMPROVING, KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

Holy fuck user, that was really inspiring. Thank you.

Kill them

They're trying to drag you down into the pit they fell into so they don't have to blame themselves
Get out

>Female
>Quotas in the tech industry

yeah, and I'm a head chef at Wendy's making $300k/year, with a 10/10 thicc gf and a 12 inch penis (mine, not hers, she has a 6" feminine penis (male)).

In all seriousness don't count on lofty future goals like making $100k a year. Keep coding and working towards that, but also take steps in the near term to getting out of there. Take a job for less money and leave, or join the military as suggested. The military certainly has use for code monkeys, they'll probably even train you.

I'm mixed but Hispanic.

>19
>wants mom to buy him a shirt

I'm not sure what the norm is in america.. but why would she buy you a new shirt? Is it normal for parents to buy their adult sons clothes for them?

If job opportunities are bad and you're genuinely struggling... can't you get some sort of welfare? Or are americans not adults until theyre 20 or something?

Sounds kinda shitty though,OP.

I guess you need to remind yourself that their opinions don't matter. To you or to anyone else.. It may feel hurtful or frustrating. But once you move out you will realize how much time and energy you wasted caring about the opinions of (no offense) two morons who have no influence in the world other than over their own son... And even that influence is about to come to an end.

Don't be bitter. Don't be resentful. Don't be agreeable or caring. Just go and do what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

Every day.

Wake up. Do shit. Get some.

Get a job, get your own place, make your own damn life. Not easy but you gotta start somewhere.

This. Do this please.

>where was your dad
he died a few weeks before I was born
>what was your mum doing?
being a normal middle class suburban mum
>You can’t be like “woe to me! *crying* why are my sisters like that?!”
im not
>you should have total dominian over your sisters until they get married to a man you and your dad approve of
they were all already in their 20's when I was still in primary school

I dont know why you're over reacting this badly mate, bringing up Trump and Obama bombing the middle east, making out like im ok with it in your first post then suggesting that im crying about it in your second post
are you ok mate? you seem very upset over someone elses family

I just despise betaness. If my sisters were like that they would certainly regret it.

That was bait my man
Some people take too much effort to fix

>if you're going through he'll, keep on moving
This situation had made you mentally strong AF. Just keep doing what you think is right, don't let them drag you down. Before you know it you will be out on your own and your body will be as strong as your willpower. You're going to make it user, just need a little more time to get through hell and you'll be unstoppable.

Thanks man. advice like this really helps.

last night, my dad was yelling at me because I left my sweatband on the floor in my bedroom at my exercise spot and said I was disgusting.

i never wore it because it was fresh out of the dryer after I cleaned it and said that "my ass belongs outside" because I'm "filthy".

his breath smells nasty because he never flosses and brushes once a day and his underwear is literally brown from all the skid marks he leaves. also, he's fat.

i'm trying so hard but it's exhausting mentally.

FUCKING REDDIT SPACING ALL ACROSS THIS THREAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
STOP WASTING PAGE REAL ESTATE REDDITFAGS, THIS PAGE IS TWICE AS LONG AS IT SHOULD BE WITH THIS MEMESPACING

This is text book NPD behavior, and the dad sounds like a codependent enabler. If this is the case then there is nothing you can do. They will never change, they are incapable of change or understanding your side. All they can see is what they want and the,selves. Everyone else is just a reflection of that, or an extension of themselves. Sounds like you are the black sheep( or scapegoat) and your sibling is the golden child, this dynamic will not change, no matter what you do. Because your parents, your mother especially, needs her emotional garbage bin and pedestal.

When you are close to a narc they will not celebrate your achievements or encourage you to do better, they see these things as threats and they will punish you if you even think of 'making them look bad'. Please research NPD and some of the other terms I used, your life might make a little more sense afterwards.

Knowing what the battle even is is half the fight.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_parent
sonsofnarcissisticmothers.org/sonms.html

fuck. posts like this make me realise how easy I have it. hope you move out soon man. I don't think I could handle that shit

Currently dealing with similar myself
It motivated me to lift to distract myself and to mog my parents, they fuck with me much less now that I am big
Sad that it had to be this way but meh

your parents are jealous and do not want to see you succeed

fuck them, you know what is good for you, implement it