Has anyone on Veeky Forums finished or participated in an Ironman triathlon?

>2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim
>112-mile (180.25 km) bicycle ride
>26.22-mile (42.20 km) run
>17 hours limit

How does someone prepare for something like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

lizcullen.com/2012/04/13/why-do-people-hate-triathletes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You've got to be a skeleton and master of cardio. My greatest fitness accmplishment was a 20-mile run and I felt like I had genuinely damaged my body by pushing it so hard. I can't imagine doing any of those three, much less together. Only guy I know who did them was a friend of my dad's, iirc he still did them into his 60s. Guy was insane.

The swim and run are doable but the riding is like 3+ hours of non-stop bicycling. I've never done more 50 miles, I think that would break me.

Yeah you're going to need a lot of practice in resource/energy management before going into one of these. Your lungs need to adapt.

How to lose all your gains in 1 day

depending on the course the very fastest pro's finish the 180 km in 4h15min give or take.
How do you prepare for it? You just train and that's it. My best finishing time for the whole thing was 9 hours and 12 minutes which isn't anything special, I'm pretty heavy at 87 kg at 187 cm so my run time is pretty bad. On average I train 16 hours / week split up between the 3 disciplines, in the base mile phase it's sometimes 25 hours of mostly bike, the closer it gets to the race the less I train and I usually don't go to the gym anymore at all 1.5 weeks before raceday.

The more you train the more you learn how to pace yourself so you can sustain your desired pace over the distance. On the bike most serious athletes have a powermeter and a heartrate monitor(that's mostly for the run t hough) which helps you pace a lot. You also learn how to fuel yourself with food and fluids. Your body adapts really well to extended periods of stress such as an Ironman

The run always hurts like crazy though

Why the fuck would I ever need to run more than a quarter mile? I mean I train 1 mile to be safe but give me a fucking scenario where running 23 miles or whatever the fuck is pragmatic. Working on a 40 yard dash and quarter mile makes way more sense....

I guess the Athenians will never know they won the battle

Nigger its 2018 ill run that faggot over in my jeep

I've never understood why people think cardio makes you weaker

Well...... You have to be weaker to be able to complete this. Could you imagine the energy expenditures of a 220lb man doing this at pace?

They are competing adaptations to a certain extent. That being said, not having at least a modicum of cardio conditioning is just stupid, as well as bad for your health.

But doing cardio does not make you weaker. It may lean your muscles but your not just going to loose physical strength from doing cardio. This is a lifting myth pro pigsties by people to lazy to do cardio.

lots of cardio

Kek

Nigga even as a guy who does his cardio and HIIT, of course cardio will make you weaker. Your muscle fibers adapt to the specific type of stress you put them through.

found the twink
you WILL lose physical strength form doing cardio. cardio is catabolic to the muscles, especially so in cardio that is sustained for long period. An ironman race like this is extremely catabolic.
Sure most fags worrying about a 3 mile jog stealing all their gains are lazy fatasses but cardio sustained over a long period of time will eat away at

> cardio

Why is this allowed?

No because triathletes are the absolute bottom of the barrel scum. They are the Nickelback of athletics. Cyclists hate triathletes. Swimmers hate triathletes. Runners hate triathletes.

Do something else.

if this is true, why?

But cyclists are the worst by far. Always douche bags. Always want you to respect them on the road, but then don’t want to adhere to traffic laws. Fuck cyclists to be honest

>lizcullen.com/2012/04/13/why-do-people-hate-triathletes/
>Trust me, they do. Everywhere you go, there are haters. It’s almost like being the Nickleback of athletes.
liz pls go

What do you do for money?