How to run fast

I want to run faster Veeky Forums how does one do this does distance running help? don't have gym so can't do squats

Other urls found in this thread:

lumobodytech.com/blog/is-your-ground-contact-time-slowing-you-down/
animemaru.com/scientists-find-that-running-like-naruto-actually-faster/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Run more and for longer. Depends on what type of running you want to do, but building your aerobic base will help you run faster. If you want to do sprints then also make sure that you actually do sprints, hill sprints, tempo runs, strides etc... Distance running is still going to help.

running regularly at increasing distances helps.

more importantly, you'll want to integrate some sort of interval training into your running. especially over distances.

i don't know what kind of distances you want to run, but for any sort of distance, make sure a portion of your running involves alternating between a dead sprint and a brisk jog.

running hills repeatedly also helps.

Practice?
Seriously you want to run faster do sprinting drills. Simple as that.
Or you know you could just spend the rest of your life trying to will yourself faster and see how that works out. It's not rocket science

>No squats
>No Deadlifts
Have fun staying slow kiddo.

>Be highschool me
>Senior year, stagnent highschool cross-country career
>could only run at a 6 minute pace
>Mile was 6 minutes
>5k was 18 minutes
>10 Mile was 60 minutes
>Have to make varsity if I want to run my last year
>nopreasure.jpg
>Start weight training
>Heavy squats, heavy Deadlifts
>Times start shooting through the roof
>PRing every race
>Everyone's shocked and impressed
>Looks like I'm finally going to make varsity
>Make variety
>Looks like I'm going to state
>Develop bone spur
>Never run again
Moral of the story: Squat and deadlift.

Agreed.
>60 120’s
>sprint 60 seconds
>walk 120 seconds

Plyometrics. Try doing the plyometric workout from p90x. I was able to cut about 7 minutes off my 5k time in high school when I ran cross country

Horrible advice. You were a terrible runner @6:00 per mile.

If you wish to run faster the first step is always to run faster

how

Any runner or military fags here to help a brother with 1.5 mile run timings? Enlisting into my country's military in about a month and my run is still slow as shit at 12 minutes. Also asking for a friend, how do you build up for a fast 1.5 mile run in a month if youre completely untrained

To run long and slow. Go to /r/running and ask there. They'll help out a noobie.

Practicing just sprints like some are saying is just dead wrong

ok should i also lift light weights for many reps if i want to get better at heavy weights and low reps?

Hills, fart licks, speed two miles, speed half miles then casual 3-5 mile runs. Fit this into a 5 day routine.

18 is pretty solid though sounds more like he had a mental block. Lifting only really helps sprints, the extta weight adds up doing long distance.

You understand running is different than lifting right?

You can't go all out every time you run and expect to get faster for very long. You need to incorporate longer, slower runs if you want to get faster. It has a host of important physiological effects that will improve one's capacity to run faster. Something that sprinting alone won't help as much with.

It doesn't work that way with lifting either. It's a rare motherfucker who can go far without doing a lot of submaximal work in a variety of rep ranges.

Hill sprints until you puke and then some more

Run slow for longer by increasing mileage and long run distance.

To run faster you have to run fast. Incorporate quality speed work 2-3 times per week. What is appropriate depends on your race distance and goals.

Ignore all of this fuckers. I've been running professionally for 3 years. Distance runners only do distance running like once a week. What they do a lot is interval training. Heavy weaks, low weaks and a lot of gym exercises ( core and lower body focused) My advice to you is to find an interval training routine. I don't know what distance you're aiming for but I imagine like 10k + so what u have to do is (assuming you can run like 20 mins slowly non stop. Or 15. Is dynamic stretching, warming up with a slow run for 10 mins and depending on the distance you're wanting to run, do like 5 series of 400m to 800m for a Pace you think you can hold (it can not be slow). But you will not be doing this every day or weak. Distance and every running involves a lot of stuff, so I suggest looking for a routine online which incorporates a lot of interval training. Don't fall for that run longer every time you do cardio bullshit.

>lumobodytech.com/blog/is-your-ground-contact-time-slowing-you-down/

What I saw about this was on the tv and was better explained but here is a simple article

Work your hammies bro

Thanks man

Run four times a week. Two of them are very slow recovery runs. These are to promote active healing. The other two are quality runs. The first is the long run. It is a ddow run, but with lots more distance. It is slightly faster than your recovery runs. The second is your speed work. Switch off between tempos one week with intervals on the next. Tempos should increase by 5 minutes each work out (e.g. start with 20 minutes, next trmpo run will be 25 minutes). Intervals should increase by 2 sets each workout (e.g. 6x400m repeats, then next 8x400m repeats--by the time you can do 12 400m repeats at a consistent pace, switch up to 600m repeats. Once you can do them, 800m...repeat until 4x1600m repeats.)

Get a heart rate monitor to monitor your heart rates. Use these to determine the effort for each of the runs.

As far as lifting, do more sets and reps with less weight (5x15-30). Do more exercises that require stabilization like shrimp or pistol squats, but add a weight vest or a backpack with books or other heavy objects. Do one armed push ups or archers, side/one arm planks, and bridges.

How do I deal with shin splints? I'm training for the military and they've been nagging me for a few months

If you really want to min/max your training then get a heartrate meter and have your VO2max tested. Figure out your heart rate zones and lactate threshold, and then do intervals/tempo runs/over-under threshold runs around those variables. Compared to sports like swimming and cycling pro runners don't spend that many hours a week training because of how relatively high-impact it is. (20-30 hours a week with plenty of accessory exercises like weights and calisthenics, stretching etc.) It's all about training smart, not hard.

That said you're probably a newb so the only thing you actually have to do to get running gains for the next year or so is start running *more*.

18 is not solid, lol... not at a college level anyway.

Naruto style. No memeing. It was scientifically proved that gives you a slight boost and better aerodynamic. It was banned from the Olympics for something

This post speaks the truth
animemaru.com/scientists-find-that-running-like-naruto-actually-faster/