/fast/ #146 - autophagy edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be

While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Attached: snakeyes.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

First fast ever as per pic.

Hour 44 of a planned 72 hour fast. Ketostix confirming I'm in deep ketosis however I'm now feeling dizzy and have a splitting headache.

Have only been drinking water with no added Na or K. Have I dun goofed? I'm considering driving to buy some LoSalt but I'm honestly worried I'll crash en route.

Help /fast/.

Attached: 44hours.png (1058x532, 51K)

Planning my first water fast tomorrow, I'm curious though is it all right to drink black coffee/tea in the mornings?

Electrolytes are important for brain function, so I'd wager the headache is mostly from that.

you usually start to need this past 48h mark
yes, usweetened ofc

where do i buy sodium and potassium...?

i know sodium is found on nacl and potassium in some tablets that have magnesium too

but where do i but this shit separately?

>you can deplete electrolytes in 72 hours
Maybe if you're sweating like an absolute pig and working out hard... otherwise nah

>Maybe if you're sweating like an absolute pig and working out hard

like me...

>fasting kills cancer
Wut
>2000-3000 milligrams of salt
Wut
The average dietary recommended intake is 1000-2000

>Starting up my third water fast now
>First was 108 hours a year ago, second was 45 hours a few days ago and looking to make this one go for as long as possible
>Undid my years of dieting from 120kg to 75kg over the past few months and I'm 110kg 180cm currently; although I was 170cm when I started as a teen
>Don't feel too bad about it because I know I'll get back to goal weight and quicker this time
>Hoping to get better discipline as a result of a long fast, jump into OMAD when I'm near my goal weight and go back to lifting
>Recent delays for the fast haven't been annoying since it's eating out with friends / family instead of me just stuffing my face
>Himalayan Salt tastes so much better than regular salt and has small amount of other minerals too which is neat
>Going out with friends in 4 days and a wedding in 11 which will be a bit of a test, but should be in a fasted state by then so all should be good

Also, is there any studies / research behind dry fasting? I'm interested in it but am not convinced enough to bother with it currently. I've googled but no research on it like regular fasting, just people saying how they've heard it's better and that you get crazy adrenaline.

Does sound like you're maybe low on your electrolytes, although you could probably wait it out to your goal time. I think most people skip the salts on shorter fasts but I prefer to take some KCl and NaCl everyday to avoid the drop in energy early on.

Coming up to the end of a 5 day fast. Looking for recipe ideas that are a) satiating and b) keto.

I'm thinking salmon with something but don't know what.

You went from 75kg to 110kg in a few months? How?

It was probably more in the 80s range but I completely lost all motivation for weightlifting, exercise, good eating etc. I'd binge on so much food at night nearly every night that I ballooned up pretty quickly from October to February. Worse thing is that I paid little attention to it and it happened so quickly, all the other times I'd realize how much I'm fucking up and go exercise real hard. I'm an emotional eater and last year was real shitty.

It hit me pretty hard when I couldn't fit into any of my clothes, I went from XXL to M now to XL. I have like 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants that fit me properly. I make myself look in the mirror everyday now to remind myself to work hard to get back to when I wasn't an ugly blob.

I broke my 7 day with 2.5lb cabbage shredded, 1 lb baby Bella mushrooms, all stirfried. Then 1 lb bacon separately, some grease used in stirfry. Probably took me two hours to eat it. Fucking delicious though.

>2.5lb cabbage shredded, 1 lb baby Bella mushrooms, all stirfried. Then 1 lb bacon separately, some grease used in stirfry.
Ratios aren't 4:1 but I think you did well. Cabbage is particularly good for gut bacteria, mayb shred some carrots in there next time.

>fuck up for the first time in weeks & binge eat a bunch of bread
>feel like shit, stomach bulging
>but next day my muscles feel harder than they have in a while & abs are more defined

how the fuck
is this what glycogen stores filling back up looks like? if it is I'm glad to see confirmation that my gains are still there (was starting to look dangerously skinnyfat at times), but probably still not gonna carb up on the regular until I shed these last 10 pounds. I want to be shredded, not a strong looking guy with a little pooch belly

>how the fuck
Thats just how it works?

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2018-03-10-16-16-01.jpg (1317x464, 224K)

Hi, i'm on my 3rd day of waterfasting, but I noticed trouble getting to sleep. Is this normal for the first few days ?

It is most likely your electrolytes, I have heard a magnesium deficiency can cause sleep problems

>march, oh boy here we go
>dryfast 5 days and eat 200g cabbage at the end
>4 day fast and eat 100g cucumber
>5 day fast and eat some fruit and at my father a decent big meal with low carbs.
>5 day fast eat a full broccoli and cucumber and a bowl of soup around 12:00-14:00 to prepare for the evening
>go out dinner for my brothers birthday
>order extra large
>eat 1-2kg of piri piri chicken
>300-500g of fries with mayonnaise
>a small ice cream that was so unsatisfying i bought 2 big water ice creams when i got home.
holy fuck i will sleep so good today.
and this is probably only costed me this day and 1/2 - 2/3 of tomorrow of my daily maintenance.
in 2 days i will be losing fat again
i love fasting.

How much protein do I need to consume before gluconeogenesis will take over and I'll be brought of keto? I just had a tin of tuna, some shrimp and 6 eggs after a 72 hour fast.

Nice. You copecels always come up with something new. Keep up, this is funny shit.

Attached: 1468391482660.gif (290x189, 2.9M)

A+ post newfriend

Attached: 1364451484663.jpg (800x456, 154K)

Coming up on 72 hours water fast, starting weight: 168.5lbs down to 160.5. Not really fucking with the salts yet, I feel bratty gud. Having a 12 hour work day helps. I just work and sleep most of my day.

>xl
>at that weight
Is your frame really tiny or something? I wear XL at 90kg.

Yea, your adrenaline and hgh are cranked up at aroun three days. You need a purposeful routine for getting to sleep. Cut the coffee completely because you don't want the cortisol adding to you being amped up. About an hour before bed you should start winding down...
>shut off the TV, keep lights low
>drink some warm tea (no caffeine)
>I like Roobios Red Tea with nothing added
>avoid blue light
>if reading makes you sleepy, read.

Attached: fasting.jpg (862x3832, 836K)

So I have been working on bulking up my ass for the past 2 years and now I realize I am fat (27% body fat) and I want to become slim thicc.

Can I just fast until I'm around 20% body fat? Or will I use all the muscle I bulked up? Can I legit just not eat and not work out until then? (assuming autophagy will work)?

I keep on getting confused because some people say you can take a break from working out while fasting, other people say you should work out while fasting.

What is the consensus on consuming all my calories before my workout while doing 16/8 IF?
Old routine and part of daily intake
>wake up at 8
>breakfast (1/4 calories) at 3pm
>lunch (1/4 calories) at 6pm
>workout at 9:30pm
>dinner (1/2 calories) at 11pm
>sleep at 1-2am
I'm tracking my calories and I'm not losing weight at a rate I like, and I'm forcing myself to eat dinner even though I'm no where near hungry or in the mood. I want to try the following
>breakfast (1/4 calories) at 3pm
>lunch (3/4 calories) at 6pm
>workout 9:30pm
>post wokrout protein shake 11pm
what kind of results should I expect compared to now?

You will lose the least muscle possible by fasting. If you do work out you will increase muscle catabolism so I don't recommend it.

>protein shake
Nonsense, waste of money and completely unnecessary insulin spike.

Depends on your body. If you're just pounding some protein on a refeed some of that will metabolize to glucose but IF it kicks you out of keto it won't be for very long. Best advice is to learn your body... buy some ketostix... measure and document it.

gluconeogenesis occurs when your liver is fully depleted of glucose... it converts betahydroxybeauterate to glucose for the brain. You don't trigger it by eating protein, it's already happening if you are in ketosis.

>Can I just fast until I'm around 20% body fat?
Yes
> will I use all the muscle I bulked up?
No
> can I legit just not eat and not work out until then? (assuming autophagy will work)?
Yes

i try to do GOMAD 23:1. Soemtiems i cian't help but put 1 - 2 TB of hlaf and half in my coffee though (20 - 40 cal). Is this horrible and shoudl stop or generally okay?

I can't cram in enough protein to maintain muscle while cutting without it. I can only shovel so much chicken breast in my gullet before exploding. trying to stick to 1g/lb bw

NuSalt or sodium free salt is KCl

>What is the consensus on consuming all my calories before my workout while doing 16/8 IF?
The concensus is 16/8 is for faggots afraid to fast and therefor your question doesn't matter.
>I'm tracking my calories and I'm not losing weight at a rate I like
Shocker, 16/8 is trash. Fast harder.
>what kind of results should I expect compared to now?
Better than 16/8... stop being a bitch and fast tho. Do Alternate Daily Fasting and OMAD.

There are people who will take that image seriously. Or at least most of it.

Are you having a stroke right now?

Attached: 1519494739487.png (250x335, 95K)

>being this retarded

You don't actually need more than like 1g/kg though, high protein diets are not only a gymcel meme but also fucking terrible for you.

Attached: low protein diet.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

It would be "fasting mimicking" and you'll be fine. I don't know if you'll get the autophagy benefits. Work toward cutting out coffee.

of course some fag in /fast/ will say some retarded shit like this

If you fast your growth hormone will go up more than 20 times regular levels. I don't think you need exercise. Lose the fat, maintain the muscle -- you'll be set. Muscles look flat when on ketosis and fasting. They re-volumize and fill right back up when you're back on carbs and exercise.

Whats wrong with it?
...and this is per pound of LEAN MUSCLE not per pound of body weight. iow you're eating too many protons if you're dealing with proton shits. It's bad for you and you're just torching your liver.

Are you keto or not? If not, eat after workout to take advantage of positive effects of insulin. Also, you could eat right before and right after workout. A 21:3 is superior to a 16:8.

That is retarded. It's only ever been 1g per lb LEAN BODY MASS. Even that is excessive. Read and watch more educational materials. I doubt you'll be spoon-fed out of all your misunderstandings.

This

I was doing 23:1, working 15 hours straight physical labor at two jobs back to back, only consuming water and coffee. Coming home and getting in a solid hour of lifting at the home gym while I had my days worth of food preparing in the kitchen. After showering I’d consume a days worth of food within an hour. Then I’d sleep for about 5-6 hours and repeat the process. Probably the most monotonous life I lived but i was oddly really happy. Always was doing something and I had so much energy

i'm a fat fuck that screwed up and bulked before cutting, I have considerable gains and bench marks and I'm trying to keep 'em while cutting. Many other nutrition experts disagree with you on protein needed, especially for fatasses like me.
I don't get proton shits, and I'm actually still under 1g/lb, i'm closer to .8g/lb
Not really on keto, minimal carb intake, mostly fiber. I can't eat 3 hours before working out or I end up nauseous or throw up, regardless of how little I eat. can't handle 21:3 because of work, been doing this for a couple months and still get brain fog when fasting, forced me to change my schedule to 11pm-3pm fast.

im 210 at 5'8 20%bf, trying to get down to 180, and I'm actually consuming 180g on a good day, sometimes I can't make it. I don't want to lose my lifting progress and have to rebuild too much.

>I don't get proton shits, and I'm actually still under 1g/lb, i'm closer to .8g/lb
ok, well keep what I said in mind for when you get proton shits as you get smaller.

will do m8

Your ideas are just completely wrong. What makes you think less protein = muscle loss? I think you got scanned by people selling protein. Sure, it helps build muscle. The idea that if you don't eat 180g protein you'll lose existing muscle is laughable.

Figure out your lean body mass. Subtract fat and water and bones. If you must, eat 1g protein per lb LBM. You are eating *at least* twice as much protein as you actually need.

it's odd, I've been eating one meal a day (~1500 cal) and carbs < 100 and my keto sticks are purple

it's decaf if that matters.

typing upside down on chromebook

You're only drinking it because you're bored or anxious. Same with water by the way.

well, i need a hot liquid yeah

You don't, it's a comfort blanket.

yeah but tis' decaf and just a spoon of half and half. Not bad, really

You don't need it and it's potentially diminishing your returns on fasting.

IF works better than small meals all day, insulin spikes a little after meals turning off fatloss. For that reason 16:8 < 20:4 < 22:2 < OMAD. Expect to lose .8-1lbs per week at a true -500 defecit (tdee calcs are shit) and gain or maintain strength if you get enough rest days.

>(tdee calcs are shit)
proof?

not him but any tdee calc that tries to account for activity is usually going to be very wrong.

never use a tdee calculator on anything other than sedentary.

oh, i don't. good

Thank you fit for your spirit, I am 53 pounds down and half of it is from just fasting.

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-183409.png (1440x2560, 191K)

app?

hows ur fast journey been? wanting to do a 14 day water fast soon but unsure if im prepared

TrackYourFast Pro

It has been good, the issue is maintaining the constant need to take in electrolyte pills and water, it does not come as easy as hormones signaling you to eat. You need to drink 3000 mls of water daily and take in a handful of pills daily too or else you are punished with poor energy and cramping.

I lost 10 pounds this week and I can wear my size smalls again. Fuck I'm so happy.

Attached: 1514736065063.gif (840x488, 511K)

>2 months
remember to take your snake juice
good luck

Snake juice is a nasty meme, it's all about electrolyte capsules.

so does intermittent fasting fix addiction to drugs?
asking for a friend who's struggling and not so fat that he could go a week

which ones do you use?

have a plan to exit this fast.

do not just eat whatever you want, you may possibly die.

research refeeding syndrome and plan your breaking of fast accordingly.

I take 14 capsules of Hi-Lyte and 3 capsules of Nature Made 550mg Potassium capsules daily to meet my electrolyte goals. I also drink zero cal Propel powder mix as it has probably the most electrolytes out of all the drinks you can find in a supermarket that fits in a fast.

Thats why we tell everyone to measure, our bodies are not the same. You are burning through a lot of carbs quickly, or your gut is passing them without absorbing them. Get a 48 hour fast in weekly.

>break 62hours long fast
>3 hours later get shits
Eating was mistake

Refeeding syndrome is a meme and I already have plans to break the fast with bone broth regardless.

I'm concerned I might get type 2 diabetes from my previous eating habits. I used to eat close to a large bag of M&Ms and a Pizza every other day due to the CICO meme. Last time I went to a doctor was November and everything seemed normal. Can fasting reverse all of this? I broke my fast with Pizza, pasta, chips, and M&Ms for the weekend and now almost anything with carbs it taste like shit and the chocolate is the only thing that takes the same as before.

>16:8 < 20:4 < 22:2 < OMAD < Actually Fasting
ftfy

you're fine. losing weight cures diabetes anyhow, it's not big deal.

No, the only thing that stop drug addiction are lead, ropes, and gas.

Anyone know when Snakeman is gonna start his stream?

>Can fasting reverse all of this
Yes

just cigarettes tho nothing that bad
also he's a blacksmith who gets a bit nervous during his job so he has to play easy listening music
will fasting help calm him down?

Yea actually, the feeling of being in deep ketosis is like a very mellow constant energy that heightens focus.

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2018-03-07-23-34-12.jpg (1299x873, 416K)

Keep in mind I'm not talking about faggy OMAD... 72 hours minimum.

so i'll try to show him the way
a week fast good enough?

immediately

Is /fast/ watching Cole's first Live YouTube stream tonight?

youtube.com/watch?v=rby-s4QtLlQ

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (246x138, 14K)

Yeah I want to know when he's going live so I don't miss any of it

He didn't say the exact time. Just to click the notification bell to know when it goes live. I don't think the guy plans shit like this out yet. But he could definately make some money from Super Chats if the jew allows. And if he goes after fat acceptence, then they might not allow it.

thinking of (after i have children) doing a challenge
OMAW low carb heart attack restaurant in vegas, with cigarettes

he looks like he could use a bit of mew

Attached: 10.03.11-319-e1348627129909[1].jpg (832x1248, 46K)

what about lettuce and the whole concept of negative calories?

why isnt there any info about micronutrients in the op?

like, my first question about this is why you dont need vitamins

>If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
how much calories to aim for?

?

Im doing one set of chin-ups and one set of push-ups to failure every other day while OMADing(on a caloric deficit)
Is that enought to keep them muscles?

Attached: images (6).jpg (512x288, 15K)