/fitlit/

What is Veeky Forums reading? How much do you read per day?

Attached: comic.jpg (920x343, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychedelic_Experience
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_Rising
maps.org/
erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article4.shtml
maps.org/research/mdma
existentialcomics.com/blog/1/How_to_study_philosophy_as_an_amateur
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> reading

If you read for pleasure you're a fag
If you read fantasy you're practically a girl

are audio books ok? I actually enjoy them since I"m in the vehicle a ton.

My gf reads aloud to me before bed. She is very good and does voices for all the different characters and everything.

Your mum is not your gf user. Pls

Attached: Born_to_feel.jpg (717x837, 63K)

Don Quijote, le rouge et le noir and "a vida como ela é" (brazilian literature) for fiction
IQ Testing 101 and History of Philosophy vol. 2 for personal studies.

I'm reading Plato's Republic. I recommend. Following Socrates' logic is like lifting for the mind.

Currently a pre gay book named "Joy Luck Club" for my english course and "The Interpretation of Dreams" by Sigmund Freud

currently working through man and his symbols, next on the docket is on the genealogy of morality. i don't have time to read every day but on my days off i usually read for 3-4 hrs.

ps if you read fiction you're definitely unemployed

Currently reading The Words of Radiance, 2nd book in Stormlight Archives.

Fantasy books best books

Start With Why by Simon Sinek
Living Intentionally by John Maxwell
For My Legionaries by Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

Make of that what you will.

Attached: 1473138411086.jpg (640x637, 91K)

currently reading pic related

Attached: file.png (600x1009, 587K)

why is this board so obsessed with reading? is it just another thing you all do to pretend to be superior to the general public like everything else you do?

reading is fun user. no need to be defensive.

*tips*

>Dyslexic
>Can read/write and understand words
>Can't understand how to pronounce them
>Need to listen to others say a word before I can say it
>Can never discuss something without fear of embarrassment when I fuck up simple pronunciation

Feels bad being a brainlet

Culture of Critique

"The Rose of Paracelsus"

I'm halfway through. This book is the best thing I have ever read. The author managed to trigger something that made me do *something* that cured the last bit of autistic behavior that I had. I'm actually able to detect social cues I never knew existed.

It is 656 pages of near poetry level prose. It goes from beautiful to tragic to downright morbid with an attention to detail that gets downright spooky at times.

Attached: 512Ux1keEtL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (406x500, 38K)

Go back to vaping, brainlet shitskin

Attached: 1519572182254.jpg (997x1681, 774K)

Is there any good philosophical/intellectual reading that isn't also pretty tough? I just find it hard to get motivated to read something that I have to force myself to read.

Just finished Les Miserable, 1600 pages long. Is that the Veeky Forums equivalent of a 4 plate deadlift or running a marathon?

The Holy Bible

what exactly is this book? wouldn't I be better off reading actual self help books to cure my autism?

Book of the New Sun
2-3 hours during the week at night
Maybe 5 hours on weekends

Pure philosophy-wise Plato is pretty easy.

If you want philosophical novels try Crime and Punishment by Doevetsky or maybe The Stranger by Camus

I've started reading the Hobbit to my bf when we're in bed to get better at sounding out words.

Annotated Alice, by Martin Gardner is my Veeky Forums read, and The Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett is my fun read.

>Joy Luck Club
>aaaah, we never talk about ching-chong culture with our daughters, how come they don't understand where we come from?
Literal woman tier. Every character in that book is a worthless loser controlled by their emotions.
Slap your English teacher silly, and demand to read Catch-22 or something worthwhile.

Yeah, it's good.

The Silmarillion

Probably get 10 pages in a day

Currently reading The Critique of Pure Reason, finishing up the Tractatus Logico Philosophicus, and starting Philosophical Investigations

Reading Musashi atm, it's pretty great

Yeah, good idea
I really enjoyed Gorgias; which Plato would you recommend I go for next? I've already read C&P but I'll take a look at The Stranger.

>Plato's Republic
>following Socrates' logic
Which one is it fag

For My Legionaries, onto Revolt Against The Modern World and Will to Power afterwards

I just started reading books again. I think undergrad and grad school kinda made me not want to for a couple of years.

I just read "Siddhartha" by Hesse again. And I got this today.

Attached: Dhammapada.jpg (308x499, 28K)

I’m trying to make it through this book but it’s hard to understand what the fuck is going on most of the time

Attached: 2BAEF60B-58C8-4B13-B978-E2F72AF9E45D.jpg (220x315, 35K)

Just read some space adventure novel, was really good. Easy fun read.

Pic related coming in the mail soon. Hoping to get some sane brain gains.

Attached: meditations.jpg (321x499, 21K)

Joy Luck Club is cancer.

I suppose the plus side for some of you is that it functions as propaganda for your racial fetishes.

Apparently all of the big bad problems can be solved by the *strong asian females*.

They just need to find the ~~right~~ wh*te guy.

Have you tried reading along with listening to an audiobook? I'm not dyslexic, but I've found it help to sorta process everything going on if it's a dull read.

Read it, appreciate Marx's thoughts about critiquing the status quo but his "economics" are at best philosophical conjecture and at worst absolute hand waving

It would be except Les Miserables trash

No shit user that book is a trip

This book is a spy novel of sorts. It is narrated from the perspective of a Harvard student that is researching drug policy. He has meetings with DEA, CIA, FSB and other such agencies. The protagonist also encounters one of the "Six" who are part of a secret society who manufactures LSD. They are some sort of libertarian stateless society. They also recruit people to infiltrate governments and gangs dealing in malicious drugs (Meth, Heroin, Cocaine).

The writing style is so good the author is able to create an altered state within the reader and the level of detail put into it is quite spooky.

The author of the book actually did that and he intersperses fact with fiction. Another fun fact about the author. He wrote it from prison with pen and paper. He was arrested for the manufacture of LSD in a missile silo. The neat thing about that is he managed to outrun the entirety of the DEA on foot in Kansas and actually hid in a bard under leaves to evade thermal cameras at one point.

Some additional resources I used to cure it. A particular chapter in the book was a trigger point for me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Psychedelic_Experience
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_Rising
maps.org/
erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article4.shtml
maps.org/research/mdma

>wouldn't I be better off reading actual self help books to cure my autism?

I did that too but as you can see above reading the book and the various links I dropped this book triggered me to do something that seems to have gotten rid of it entirely. I'm still a bit awkward but it's like night and day.

>If you read for pleasure you're a fag
Lmao, you don't get pleasure out of reading big and complex books that require you to work to understand them? I bet you hate reading books but you just do it cause that's what smart people do

Currently reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Wanted a lighter novel to break up the depressing and complicated books I had been reading lately. After this I'm gonna read The Screwtape Letters or The Symposium

Warrants at least one re-reading -- Benjie's section then makes a lot of sense.

City of thieves, an amazing book.

I kinda want this after hearing it

About 3/4 of the way through. Pretty disappointing. He makes some interesting observations, but he never seems to grasp the difference between anonymity and all the variations of pseudonymity. The 'internet' he describes sounds more like social media, leaving out all the other ways of being online. I'd hoped to learn about swarm behaviour and shitstorms, but there's really nothing of the former.

Attached: 31850791.jpg (305x475, 14K)

I want my girlfriend to do this, but I know if I ask her to that she'll respect me less forever

Attached: 560044.jpg (1920x1080, 363K)

it's really crazy how the fitness board full of the smartest engineers in the world are also masters of literature

does anyone know any good websites for free pdf's/ebooks?
I'm a poor NEET, but I still want to be /fitlit/

thanks.

the pirate bay

Attached: reddit.png (1022x332, 47K)

I started reading old sci-fi books. I'm on Destination Void right now.

Been reading this lately. Just finished the first part of it. It's quite dense, but I'm happy it isn't too over my head. I've slowly chipped away at it, but with school and all it's been pretty difficult to get it much done.

Attached: geb.jpg (329x499, 35K)

just finished this. honestly was really fucking good, couldn't put it down, and the ending had me baww'ing bittersweet bitch tears. would recommend 10/10

Attached: stephenking-it-novel-s.jpg (1000x777, 58K)

sounds interesting, i wish i could find an audiobook sample before dropping money on it

Attached: fedora.jpg (900x948, 260K)

>the pirate bay

not sure if you actually thought this would be helpful when you typed it out

gen DOT lib DOT rus DOT ec

Hell yeah they are

Jordan Peterson's book.

I like the guy but it's a drag.

im on to War and Peace now but this fucking book was so good

Attached: 51NymrGFhfL.jpg (334x500, 39K)

Quantum Elctrodynamics by Richard Feynman and my third go ahead throigh thus spake zarathustra by nietchze. Feels good man, i dont have weights or a gym by i do have a big hill in my backyard so prop the big ol bag of soil up the hill with squats, wall jumps, handstand presses, chin ups and pushups with an experience and knowledge of martial arts. Nature workout then read up on muh science and metaphysics.

Loved that book. It's been a while since I read it, but that passage about the bloodthirsty tribe of injuns raiding that ragtag band of mercenaries and just absolutely decimating them was so vivid and cool. The way Cormac McCarthy writes is so awesome, because it feels like how somebody from that era would write/tell a story as well, so it really puts you in the story.

If you liked Blood Meridian you should check out the movie Bone Tomahawk. Equally as fun, and just as fucking disturbing/haunting.

get cultured, meatheads

Attached: 123192.png (2222x836, 1.73M)

No!

thank you

t. works graveyard at retail so that he won't get fired
good luck on never achieving anything besides a vane "friendship" with the old ladies

>vidya
>metal gear solid
opinion discared

>I will never experience this
Fuck

Confirmed pleb

Reading pic related. Turns out it's a 10/10 literary masterpiece. David Attenborough doesn't have shit on this guy.

My ex tried to read me a book I was reading once (Master and Commander) but here English wasn't great so she kept asking me what words meant all the time.

Attached: 51qsSoGPJfL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (324x499, 45K)

*cringe*

reading this shit in order to understand Veeky Forums

Attached: 51n03d2sh6L._AC_UL320_SR222,320_.jpg (222x320, 26K)

It's lifting for the mind.

Musashi and 12 Rules for Life

Both great

Used to read alot while taking the train/bus to and from university. Barely read anything since I started working :/

>tfw

Attached: 1521133007100.gif (200x146, 146K)

Recent reads

>Starting strength
>Boxing 10 commandments
>Mike Tyson Undisputed
>Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
>The everything store
>Tesla, spaceX and a quest for future
>Jobs
>The innovators
>Schwarzenegger's bio (def fit approved)

The whole Don Quixote and Marcus Aurelius meditations I read but kind of disliked. I feel lots of the old material is overrated and hasn't stood the test of time, and is regarded top lit because it always has been. I prefer Robert Greene's Laws of power over IL Principe

Attached: fedora.jpg (1200x794, 106K)

like someone recommending some book latching onto traditionalism for no reason whatsoever wasn't enough, you have this dilettante too now:

>12 Rules for Life

i read it and it was crap de crap

Currently reading "Weird Stories from a chinese studio" at the pace of one story per day. And also reading a bunch of different things for education in Nutrition and Health, so sociology related to health and Nutritional textbooks like biochemistry, physiology etc.

Project Gutenberg.
/t/ has some decent libraries up right now.

Not him, but I've used TPB to get some books.

Attached: 1520722245989.jpg (480x640, 57K)

Good book.

Currently reading this. The title and premise makes it seem like a scam, and if you expect to get rich from it, you won't, but there are some great ideas about smaller successes in life and how to achieve them.

Attached: TC-117449-MainIcon.jpg (980x1741, 345K)

>Strawman: the book
Also know as "1000 ways to say SHIT PLATO YOU'RE RIGHT"
Promotes some kind of proto communism, classism, total censorship
Antisthenes is more coherent, and if you want to really activate your almonds skip directly to illuministic philosophy

>reading a long book is equivalent to a 4 plate deadlift
Jesus Christ user, please let this be a failed attempt at a joke. Firstly, reading has absolutely nothing to do with lifting. Secondly, just because what you're reading has many words doesn't mean it is challenging. Reading through the Goosebumps series is not the same as running a marathon you brainlet. If you HAD TO compare a heavy lift to a book, at least choose something that is a challenge to read or that only a small fraction of the population is able to understand. I'm disappointed in you user, please do better next time.

It's pretty hard for me to get into his books his writing style is extremely off putting but his stories always engross me

How to get into philosophy?

Thank you, thinking of starting Tao Te Ching once i'm done.

Currently reading Gai-Jin by James Clavell
pic of my books from last year, I read about 30 books a year.

Attached: 50796498474c1447d7a775479d5e7c6b9082f600ea4ac9a3c663b36073fddc13807f976a.jpg (3000x2162, 885K)

The reason they're promoting communistic like ideals is because they're creating a hypothetically perfect city. And in theory, if communism worked it'd be pretty damn perfect. But of course we know that it doesn't. It's an interesting concept and seeing the parallels between what the greek philosophers saw as perfect versus the historical outcomes of such rule is beyond fascinating.
I'll be sure to look into Antisthenes though. I'm not too familiar with the works of the greek philosophers but I'm really enjoying what I'm reading.

Start here:
existentialcomics.com/blog/1/How_to_study_philosophy_as_an_amateur
Like said, Plato is a good place to start (and is recommended in this guide)

Reading Catch 22 at the moment, it's pretty funny but as usual I feel like its deeper meaning is lost on me.

Anthistenes refuses the concept of an absolute truth as Plato says.
As you probably noticed by now, Plato reasons by assuming that an object has an innate function.
He even cites some examples in the 6th or 7th book, a hammer exist only for hammering, a screw for screwing, a "gold man" for ruling and a "bronze man" for working the land.
What Anthistenes says is basically "Man, i see the horse but not the horsness". When you cross out the implicit funcion of things from Platos dialogue his argumentations start to crumble.
Almost all of his theory is "Since x exist for X and y for Y, it has to be like i say", and he manages to create a monodirectional dialogue to prevent the concept of relativity