/Martial Arts General/

/MAG/
> /ASP/ IS FOR WRESTLE FAGS EDITION

>Post routines
>Gifs and webms
>Discuss upcoming fights or tournaments
>Technique critiques and debates

Let's get the shit show started what do you fags think is the most beneficial ground game you can learn
>Wrestling
>Jiu jitsu
>Judo
>CACC/Snake Pit
>Kung fu bullshit with aikido or jeet kune do's retarded takedown system

Attached: 1408999591712_wps_4_In_this_1971_file_photo_J.jpg (306x425, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n1iG8vLtmNo
youtu.be/hc0Gt_M16lM
youtube.com/watch?v=T3ZmS5zxFEA
deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232
youtube.com/watch?v=uyn0AKTQNhI
youtube.com/watch?v=ijAMRqBZgo8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wresrling > BJJ every time
>Edgar vs Penn
>Woodley vs Maia
>Khabib vs RDA
Etc.

Been doing bjj for a year and half once or twice a week. I need to start going to the friday takedown/standup wrestling lessons though, I know literally zero actual takedown techniques. I've got yoga and lifting on fridays usually, but I guess I need to skip the yoga class some times.

Attached: 1519526751562.webm (711x400, 2.8M)

>Wrestling
If American, for sure do this while you can. Good clubs are rare in my experience

>Jiu jitsu
Best bet. Good competition scene for over 18. Not nearly as intense as wrestling unless you're seriously training for competition

>Judo
When I competed in judo it was tough finding tournaments. Will immensely build rotational strength. Good at learning to fall. A big slam on concrete can.KO

>cacc
I'll just say that leg lock heavy styles are the rage in BJJ right now so good opportunity to cross train

>TMAs
Aikido at least has good wristlocks

did bjj for like 6 months
thought it was pretty cool, but just made me wish i'd tried way harder at wrestling in high school
everyone was so competitive and fit as fuck at that age
i had some bullshit "winning doesn't matter" attitude
no idea if wrestling as an adult is a thing
god damnit

>Werdum vs Cain
>Chael vs Maia
>Chael vs Silva
>Lesnar vs Mir

kinda sucks that bjj has the biggest scene for 18+
not that bjj itself is all that bad, but practice is always boring as fuck
mostly people trying to get in shape
that's cool and all but i miss wrestling practice going all out and being absolutely gassed
sometimes you get a really good roll with someone with that same mindset but most of the time it's like you're trying not to be a dick to your partner
i respect different goals i just need a home

Kendofag reporting in
I'm on my way for second Dan graduate
Tayatari fucks up my wrists though
At least i get 150 minutes of training twice a week in my dojo

Wingchun a best
youtube.com/watch?v=n1iG8vLtmNo

What are we supposed to conclude from that video

Better evidence:
youtu.be/hc0Gt_M16lM

Wing Chun a shit

I have Judo and BJJ near where I live, both gyms seem respectable. Which should I do Veeky Forums? My goals are to have a martial art to practice, and to not be a pussy.

Attached: 1521473970770.gif (785x757, 1.03M)

I would like to practice the moves from this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=T3ZmS5zxFEA
Any ideas about how i could set up the training?

>wrestle fa-

Attached: karelin.jpg (500x686, 90K)

How would Alexsander have done in MMA

Tournaments are hard to find in judo especially at beginner levels. I’ve gotten first in novice multiple times because I would compete only against two people, with one of them being a teammate from my club. Brown belt and up is a different story, but there’s such a gap in skill between myself and the actual competitors.

Try both out and see what you like more. Honestly Judo and BJJ are sister arts that are meant to be combined imo because there are lots of BJJ practitioners who suck at takedowns and need to wrestle or do judo to keep up. If you just want to do one, pick the gym with the best competitive record and atmosphere.

BJJ fag here

Anyone competing in the Kentucky fight grappling tourney this weekend?

Attached: 1500749091830.png (396x385, 124K)

I do the alpha destiny novice program and I’m considering doing muay thai or boxing at my university just to stay agile and learn to fight. Which should I choose and do I train one day a week or two? Did them inconsistently in the past.

Depends how early he would have started to train and if he could take a punch. Could have been a champion in the early days. With the currebn testing protocol in ufc he would be beat by usada.

So I had to go back to his years active to see when he completed and it appears he retired in 2000.

So let's say he competed in his prime, roughly 94 or 95. I would assume he at least has been exposed to joint locks from being in the Soviet system and seeing high level judo and sambo, but maybe isn't super familiar. He would have been basically an untrained Lesnar fighting Royce Gracie. He probably would have won.

Supposedly the Schultz Bros or whatever (from foxcatcher) gave Rickson just about all he could handle

just stretch after wrestling class. I wish my club did a wrestling day, although we do lots of stand up.

BJJ has probably the most developed ground game. Judo's is much faster and probably a little more sloppy. TMAs are all shit. Wrestling has a great top ground game, but no bottom.

Generally, it's not. In America, at least, wrestling is very much tied into the school system. The closest you're going to get to a wrestling club is probably a group on a college campus.

Also, wrestlers get old real quick. By 30, most wrestlers have pretty fucked up legs and backs. There's just not that much demand for older wrestlers.

Read this. It's about boxing, but it applies to any combat sport.

deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

Made some people really butthurt back then.

tl;dr: Everything's fixed. Not even the fighters themselves know in most cases.

Should I join a boxing only gym close to me, or an MMA gym that does Muay Thai and Boxing but is a few miles away?

Not really intro BJJ

Personally getting fit for my first HEMA competition next autumn. Trying to work out a good routine and experimenting with what works.

>practicing doing 100 of each main sword cut with thick and heavy metal pole that weighs three times as much as my actual sword.
>kettle bell HIIT 5x5 (5x30 seconds of each excersize followed by one minute intense cardio like sprinting or fast jumping jacks)

Attached: IMG_2436.jpg (602x610, 205K)

This is a true chad

youtube.com/watch?v=uyn0AKTQNhI

This is pretty close to a situation most people might find themselves in life. A much bigger, older, niggerlike thug tries to bully you and rushes you at a club/bar. This is what MA is for.
Other scenario would be multiple attackers. Striking is so much superior to ground game irl if you just have some takedown defense

You can see how useless the roid body is in a fight. His swings dont even hurt Fedor's boy and he gasses quickly

>54 seconds

Attached: sweatingman.jpg (426x341, 55K)

If you're not supplementing Judo with bjj, twice a week will bring you to blue in 2 year and a half. add two years for a purple. You won't go further.
3 times a week is blue in 18 months to 2 yrears depending on how gifted you are .
4 times a week is 1 year to 18 months.
Don't waste your time going only once or twice.
And go to wrestling class, it counts as a bjj lessons. So would judo once a week

Attached: 1404628049836.gif (500x281, 975K)

>that's cool and all but i miss wrestling practice going all out and being absolutely gassed
injuries man
you got a small window between 20 and 27 yearswhere:
A) you're fit enough to do whatever you want and recover
B) you're wise enough to do something with your life.
After your body doesn't recover the same.
Before you try everything but don't settle and focus on one thing or do it stupidly and injure yourself.
Try both. They're complementing each other very well. I'd say start with judo and do bjj when your body can't take it anymore.
Supplement one with the other
BJJ as a ground game no other art currently has. Only Cacc could come close, but it is too brutal to get old with.

Goju Ryu is one of the most well rounded arts I have come across. It incorporates striking, grappling, legwork and how to control momentum effectively and is still taught in a traditional manor. It is the original mixed martial art

What is the consensus on muay thai? Would I be wasting me time starting?

Attached: you see the video of the car fucking up that deer (1).gif (500x231, 210K)

It's good overall striking with some basic throws. Traditional MT has its gaps, but it's still great - provided you don't wreck your body.

Wtf u talking about, i dont care about belts.

Attached: 1519531571182.webm (711x400, 2.86M)

As long as it's not some meme martial art, what about kickboxing or karate? I'm mostly looking for usefulness irl.

Attached: pollack.jpg (1080x1080, 136K)

It's my dream to see a roider get poofed like that in real life

Where to train in Phuket, Thailand?

As a wrestler going into bjj I have to disagree with you. I control the roll 99% of the time, but wrestling lacks submissions so that is all I do. BJJ guys are more than happy to lay on their back and wait for you to gas and make a mistake. I've been in it for just over a month now and I no longer fall prey to triangles and rear naked chokes, but I am still struggling to get anything past a kimoura or a chokes from side control.

Takedowns are easy and fun. Drop yoga and start going to wrestling practice.

This bro gets it. Belts are a scam westerners invented

>46 seconds

Kalaripattayu (sp) and prankration both predate all okinawan styles by at least 1000 years m8.

My biggest gripe about bjj so far is the practice intensity as well. Not just in the "balls out" mentality of wrestling but also how everyone stops after they get what they were drilling for.

In wrestling drills were semi live going up to the go then full live after they got it because matches don't stop when you get you high crotch. I wish i could find a drill partner who shared that mindset, but the only guy around who does is almost 100 pounds lighter and I get sloppy with him because I can just rely on strength over technique. I will never knock someone for trying to get in shape, but as a former state level heavyweight I have times when I get so fucking angry that the only people I have to roll with are fatties who just want to soft roll for the cardio.

Belts and grade are for the teacher to remember what level a student is on the average, and what should be taught to him.
I'd also thought for a very long time that belts (and stripes/bars actually) were reflecting your level of proficiency, but they're not.
It is not a matter of how good you are, but how much better you can become from where you are at a given point in your practice.

Attached: 84332757.gif (245x220, 1008K)

Dat Nier music
Keep occupying the area between you and your opponent without striking

hell, at this point I'd like to just show up to local university's practice and ask if they need an extra body for drilling haha
obviously they'd never go for it, but i want that level of training
youth wrestling is huge here, being mid 20s and wanting to make the most of my physical prime sucks
honestly though i haven't actually competed bjj so that may be what i'm looking for. doesn't happen as often as it should though

That was the original plan. It also originally was white and black only. To my knowledge, Jigoro Kano was the originator of belts for the reasons you outlined.

These days, however, they're a) additional revenue and b) a means of keeping children's attention.

Outside of bjj and (at least in australia) judo they dont indicate anything as there's no unified body mandating any standards for said belts.

Have you tried tourney's? Maybe you should try pro class. Visit different gyms. Some people don't like the fact you are crashing in on their territory and will go at you hard.

>In wrestling drills were semi live going up to the go then full live after

Ben Askren on the JRE nearly lost his shit explaining this. I tend to agree, our instructor will say make it live after drilling it bunch of times but I am not sure it compares.

Thats one area where I am blessed I suppose. I started BJJ this semester cause my school has a free club. The room is small so we start sitting so there is usually a few guys left over afterwards who want to work standup with me, and if I stay late enough I usually run into some of my schools wrestlers who come in to use the mats. I've had a few good 30-40 minuet sessions with some of the best wrestlers in the country including a freestyle national champ a greco national champ and a 4 time NCAA all american. I get my ass kicked obviously, but I am picking up a hell of a lot from them and even though I'll never be good enough to walk on to the team I can half ways honestly say that I wrestled in college.

I think whats missing really is the competition aspect of it all. I don't know about you, but I hated wrestling with a passion, but I loved standing at the top of the podium and was willing to put up with all the hurt for that chance to compete under the lights. I am thinking about trying to compete in a no gi tournament, but they are all stupid expensive and I'm honestly not good enough yet at BJJ to actually give it a fair shake.

As far as your situation, I would almost guarantee your school has a soft room in their athletic center. Go hang out in there and see what shows up.

>Have you tried tourney's?
Not yet, I'm only about a month into BJJ and I don't think I am good enough to actually compete. Maybe I could go the "take him down and cut him" route and try to win on points, but I view competition as a proving ground to see where you stand and where you need to improve, and competing like that just milking it for points kinda goes against that. I want to be the most physically dominant man in the room, not the guy who takes advantage of rules to squeak out a win.
>Maybe you should try pro class.
I don't know what that is, but I am almost certain we don't have it here
>Visit different gyms. Some people don't like the fact you are crashing in on their territory and will go at you hard.
I would if I could, but I simply can't afford it. I took this up cause it was free and I wanted to be dominant again and I missed the almost family like bonds I had with my teammates. I have to worry about paying for school before I can justify spending money on my hobbies.
>Ben Askren on the JRE nearly lost his shit explaining this.
Got a link? I would like to see that.

bumping

The thing that irks me about bjj compared to wrestling: sitting in guard and waiting for the other dude to tire out is a viable option and seemingly encouraged by a lot of players. in wrestling they'd just call you for stalling. i can't fucking stand rolling with someone who just pulls guard and waits.
i get it, you're a master strategist, this is so fun, love the effort
honestly if you could get called for stalling in bjj it might push it over the edge to what i'm looking for
i'm just ranting at this point

>Ben Askren on Wrestling drilling vs BJJ Drilling
youtube.com/watch?v=ijAMRqBZgo8

>going to school
Fair enough. I just thought since you are a heavyweight, it must be hard to find people to roll with, let alone go hard. Maybe if you are getting bored or no one is challenging you enough, you could do it once a semester or something. I hate rolling with guys with a amateur wrestling background, even white belts

Are you training in a gi or no gi?

The theory on bjj was that 90-99% of fights go to the ground. However 100% start from standing up.

Having judo, thai or boxing helps the stand up part. Next phase is the clinch phase where thai is your best bet and then ground which can be bjj or sambo for all I care.

For multiple attackers your only concern should be to evade and survive. Practice situational awareness and learn to use objects as weapons to your advantage (chairs, beer bottles, ash tray, spitting in their eyes)

Last but no least keep in mid that winners typically go to jail while losers go to the hospital. So if you must fight make sure its justifiable and not over your ego

I'm training no gi. I rarely get into fights in my pajamas and I see no reason to start now. More seriously I train with guys who are doing both but I see no reason to work on gi techniques since those grips won't be there if I ever move forward with this.

And yeah it's fucking ass trying to find partners. I got a 170 former wrestler who will roll with me often enough because we both understand that we want hard rolls with dominant position, but even then the dude is fucking 80 pounds lighter than me. I've tried expressing it to the instructor who is himself a former wrestler but he keeps giving me the standard line of "bjj allows you to take on larger opponents" like he doesn't grasp that I don't care about smashing some roodypoo into the mat, I care about developing bad technique because I'm physically stronger than most of my partners to the point were I'm not even trying to brute force something they just can't stop it. Its not his fault and he's not wrong In fairness but its all just a little off from what i was hoping for. the soft roll cardio crowd doesn't want to roll with me anymore because "I'm to big/strong/aggressive/whatever" I'm literally handicapping myself trying to take it easy on these guys, but all they ever do is lay in guard. I don't know to be honest it kinda sucks, but at the same time I'm chasing the dragon when it comes down to it. I'll never be a wrestler again and I guess I have to learn to play nice with this because the alternative is doing nothing.

At least the blue belts still work me over pretty good, I'm God awful about leaving an arm in for a triangle.

Which martial arts lets me figure out the meaning of life?

Aikido

That "bjj lets you take on bigger opponents" shit only works if there is a HUGE disparity in skill... I think your instructor has his head up his ass. I wrestled as well and you damn well know you feel every pound an opponent has on you. If you put almost any top level 135 lb guy against an average 171 lb guy, the 171 will almost always beat him down by third period, the discrepency is too much. Same goes for every grappling sport.

I barely knew what I was doing when I started bjj and they had to put me with the coaches because I had 30 lbs on the next biggest guy and could just throw him around. Still tapped the coaches who were fighters occasionally, just because I could retard through shit, I had serious weight on them.

I'm just saying the learning curve gives diminishing returns and after a year or 2 of grappling a few times a week you know 80% of the moves and have decent enough reflexes to keep up with people that have been at it much longer if there is a size discrepency.

As for the arm shit u just gotta answer the telephone bro

isn't aikido kinda bs

werdum won because he beat the shit out of him

I am starting boxing classes next week. Can you recommend any good sources about conditioning, implementing strength training and diet for boxers? Before I got into lifting I read starting strenght and practical progrmming for strength training, that was really helpful in learning the basics. Wish I could find something similar about improving ability to fight.

lift for strength
don't eat like shit to maintain low bodyfat
do cardio
the classes will teach you the rest

>kinda

Just checking to make sure you know being in their closed guard is not you being in control

>kinda bs
as in, you probably get some good stretching in and learn to maintain your breath? or something, everything has it's merits haha

point being, nobody wants to fucking train for that shit because it's stupid. you can't lie on your back in a fight and wait for the other guy to gas, having someone in closed guard is only good when there are rules in place limiting what your opponent can do to you

Thanks, I understand that much but I wondered if there's a book that would get into details of programming cardio, strength and technical ability training for boxing specifically.

well yea, so is life

right, no idea
but you're paying someone to give you all that info
just ask your coach, hey what is some good supplemental training for this cardio/strength wise
if they've actually trained people for their career they will know, it's a better bet than chancing it on some voodoo book

Distance to gym is important for me.
On some days i feel tired and dont want to bike over 20 minutes to get to practice and back. Found a New gym 5-8 minutes away, depending on the traffic light and it helps a lot.

No I agree stalling is lame, it's just that I've rolled with many beginners who just get in your closed guard and bullrush into you the entire roll, achieving nothing instead of trying even one time to get out.

Can someone redpill me on taekwondo
I'm a 6ft4 long legged kickboxer that mostly fights with his legs because it's fun
Is taekwondo any useful against other martial arts?

The training intensity and physical aspect of wrestling is what I really want, but I'm in Australia and there's no clubs at all. Is judo a good alternative or should I join one of the hundred new MMA gyms that are now popping up everywhere

>Is taekwondo any useful against other martial arts?
Look up the Vietnam war. Good enough?

MMA gyms will have wrestling or "submission grappling" which is the same, just with BJJ added to it.
Dont expect to go 100% though, that is what tournaments are for.

>Thanks, I understand that much but I wondered if there's a book that would get into details of programming cardio, strength and technical ability training for boxing specifically.
There is no strength training in boxing.

Cardio-wise - work up to 3-5 miles 6x a week.

And no, you're not the first one to think "but if I do long hours on the bags or sparring, wouldn't that be more functional?" It doesn't work.

Oh for sure, you definitely half to work the guard smarter not harder
That being said, just gets old training with folks who pull guard and sit back and wait to react to whatever you do
I'm not saying it's not viable just, kinda fuckin lame

i realize that cardio takes precedence in something like boxing, but no strength training? come on now, that's just being silly. you at least need a solid base

Going to my first ever BJJ lesson tomorrow, what am I in for?

I repeat: There is no strength training in boxing.

You think strength training gives you a stronger punch? Nope. Steels your core? Nope, no amount of abs will help you against a liver hook or a straight to the solar plexus. Even the famed "big neck mykes you harder to knock out" myth ist just that - a myth.

FFS, there are WRESTLERS who don't strength train and still get their Abu Dhabi final wins. A boxer doesn't need any of that.

The whole "weights for martial arts" is an invention of the 1990s and should be completely passé by now. But I guess there's too much money in it.

Look, there are champs of all classes who never did weight training, never hit the bag, never sparred. HOWEVER, there are none who never ran or never shadow box. Running and shadow boxing are the exercises you MUST be doing for boxing. Anything else is just gravy or bullshit.

Don't believe me? Ask the Cubans.

is there anything i can do or find online to get an idea of the basics so i don't completely humiliate myself when i go to a gym

Look into Tudor Bompa, he's got some work on periodization which is still held in high regard.

So I guess all the hours of abs and neck workouts of world class boxers you can find on yt are just a clever ruse? Good thing you're here user, to disprove all the bullshit that golovkins and pacquiaos are sharing out there.

>So I guess all the hours of abs and neck workouts of world class boxers you can find on yt are just a clever ruse? Good thing you're here user, to disprove all the bullshit that golovkins and pacquiaos are sharing out there.
Yes, most workouts out find on youtube - no matter the martial art or sport - are, of course, bullshit.

If you choose to believe neck work will help you against being knocked out - be my guest. If you choose to think sit ups will armor your liver, spleen, sola plexus, etc - be my fucking guest. I won't lose sleep over another noob fucking up because "he saw it on youtube".

Kek when you get to GGG level in all your other aspects of skill and fighting for money, you can try the meme shit to give you the extra advantage. But until then, focus on the basics like everyone else.
Boxing has been distilled over the last 100 years, don't fuck with the formula cos it works

Oh wait, there is some dude called Chris Eubank agreeing with me:
>My experience taught me that there was nothing more effective than taking actual body shots. Just as I learned in New York, you would leave your body exposed and tell your sparring partner to work on it with full-blooded punches to really harden your stomach. It was not about having hard abdominals, it was about immunity.

>You could do 1000 sit-ups a day, but if a fighter hits you correctly, you'd crumble. The only way to gain immunity was by taking hundreds of shots to the body.

He did like 50 sit ups or something, by his own words.

>I won't lose sleep over another noob fucking up because "he saw it on youtube".
Yeah I'll rather take "read it on Veeky Forums"

just FYI:

a wrestler who knows enough BJJ to defend himself will always have the advantage over a BJJ practitioner who only knows enough wrestling to defend a takedown

>Look, there are champs of all classes who never did weight training, never hit the bag, never sparred.
>My experience taught me that there was nothing more effective than taking actual body shots
how the fuck is he agreeing with you if your idea of boxing workout is running and shadow boxing? Is your shadow going to punch you in the stomach?

>>Werdum vs Cain
>>Chael vs Maia
>>Chael vs Silva
>>Lesnar vs Mir

werdum didn't out BJJ cain's wrestling, he beat him up first

Maia is probably the best BJJ mma fighter in the world, that's hardly a fair comparison

Chael was winning all five rounds and silva just got some lucky triangle at the end of the 5th because chael got overconfident

>taking brock lesnar seriously
guy literally doesn't even know how to fight beyond wrestling

all pretty weak arguments desu, the guy you're replying to made a better point with his matchups

You can have this "balls out" mentality until your fist injury, then you have to change to keep on working.
There are reasons why wrestling is only a collegiate sport.
Even in Europe, where wrestling is not a collegiate sport in the US way of the term, wreslters don't last over 25-27 at the exception of the ones living from wrestling.
You even outlined it yourself. Go see your ex wrestling partners and ask them if they can still wrestle.

>I'm just saying the learning curve gives diminishing returns and after a year or 2 of grappling a few times a week you know 80% of the moves and have decent enough reflexes to keep up with people that have been at it much longer if there is a size discrepency.
This is what's called a plateau. It is the first one and it is named the blue belt blues, because it mostly happen to fresh earned blue belts.

I meant it more in the I control the pace of the roll, but yes I know laying in their guard is not control. I almost always go for side control because it's natural for me, but lately I've been working half guard because they keep flopping away if I don't throw that grapevine in.

You will be taught the guard and kimura lock.

To get the most, jump off the deep end and roll at the end of class.

Jeet Kune do was Bruce's mma prototype

What can i do about my sprained wrist? pls help

JKD is what bruce got from Wing Chun + half-baked Western Boxing. He was never good enough in either to master a style and tried to make do with fitness exercises.

Read up on boxing training, then.

>reading comprehension: none
Wow, you must be American.

MT imo and as many times a week is always best. Can never learn too much