/fast/ #147 - Salt water edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be

While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Attached: IMG_20180320_215442.jpg (2976x3968, 1.74M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a-oXBzeKN3g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz7r3n5NeYU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Once you get ketogenic (post day 3) is it ok to work out?
>First fast ever
>32 hours in

start with low volume and see how it feels the next day.
Adjust accordingly

How fast can you lose weight fasting?
I'm losing about 2lb a week doing a keto semi-OMAD, but more is always better I guess.

Some people lost 10 lbs in a week with snakewater fasting.
Results may vary but it'll always be more than 2 lbs.
Sometimes your body will just store the water you drink and your weight won't change. Get kitostix to check if you're in ketosis everyday.
As long as you're in ketosis you're burning body fat.

Going to hit 48 brehs

Attached: 38AF75B2-9BF7-4732-8323-9452717C30E6.jpg (1242x1876, 1.09M)

how bad are zero calorie sips?I know that they wont kick me out of keto bud they will spike insulin (how much?). Will they fuck me over in the long run during my prolonged fast?I just want 2 weekly

Do you start counting time you have fasted from your last meal or from when you woke up? So if I had dinner at 9 pm and woke up at 8 am and fasted that day, should I add those 11 hours as well?

from last meal

you could count it either way. I count my starting weight as whatever I weigh like 18-24 hours into the fast -- that way I get more accurate numbers because I'm always keto, and waiting eliminates most of the food which was consumed prior. This lets me, IMO, get more accurate measurements w/r/t weight while fasting.

how you feeling? is this a new fasting extent for you, if so what is your goal fast length? Once you get past 72 it becomes very easy in my experience. Going into it keto helps, but after that first 3 days it's smooth sailing. My previous max was 60 hours, then I did 170 hours--gave me a lot of confidence in this approach, dropped about 8 lb pure fat.

started sunday about midnight
gonna go to a big dinner wednesday night about 7
should i prime my stomach about lunchtime tomorrow?

I heard aspartame and similar substances spike insulin so it's the same as eating carbs

youtube.com/watch?v=a-oXBzeKN3g

welp

so nobody can reach a consensus on when autophagy comes in?
at max 36 hours?

Creatine while fasting. Yes or no?

snake man said 72 hours minimum

track your weight and your ketostix
experiment with it and see if it affects your ketosis

>fast for 7 days
>drink water
>piss out water
>lose 10 lbs

>start eating
>gain 8-9 lbs back in 7 days

More like

Fast for 7 days, lose 18lbs....start eating gain 8-10 lbs back in 7 days

just fast for a few months and see for yourself, at best you're not burning more than your entire TDEE daily since you're eating nothing. Fat isn't pure calories so it varies person to person

personally speaking, I lose 0.8 kilos a day everyday, day 4 onwards.

Attached: 1520992054552.gif (426x470, 67K)

> Start eating like a fat shit again
>gain 8-9lbs back in 7 days

Fixed it for you brah

I am probably going to fast till Sunday. I ate 1300KCals yesterday, nothing today, destroyed myself with training and cardio last 10 days
my stomach feels like it has vacuum in it, painful hunger
this fasting shit better work long term (keeping muscle losing fat or just fucking losing fat)

Christ, I meant a few days. Fast for 13 days (3 days for ketosis to set in) and see how much you can burn in 10 solid days. You'll get a good idea.

Some anons have posted losing as much as 20 pounds / 3 inches off their belly in 7-10 days.

what's the name of this specific app you're using ?

Alright you weirdos sold me. My breakfast I ate earlier will be the last meal I eat for three days and if I’m feeling good then I may fast longer. But if this is another one of fits crazy memes I’m going to be pissed man.

20 pounds in 10 days? do you have any pics ? are we speaking about 35% fatasses or normal 20% fat people?

>whats water retention

>whats the fucking point then

huh, i beg to differ
i did a 60 hour fast once and my acne cleared up

First fast, 72h in. Hunger isn't even that bad. I'll see how long I can last.
Start 181cm 71kg ~18%
Goal is to drop to ~10%, so some 6kg loss, I'm hoping I can reach that in 10 or so days.

>~18%
>Goal is to drop to ~10%, so some 6kg loss, I'm hoping I can reach that in 10 or so days.
If you do this please post fucking photos here. Jesus Christ those are some fucking goals

Am I being unrealistic? This is my first fast, I'm open to corrections. I do work a manual labor job, my tdee is at least 3000 kcal. 13 days full deficit (assuming I make it, of course) is something like 5.5kg of fat, looking at it from a caloric standpoint, so I don't see why not.

are there any people in here who lost larger amounts of weight/body fat by fasting and kept it off?
i'd like to read some success stories.

Wait I can still drink black coffee right?

I'm going for a 5 day fast, I have done several 3 days fast, I get super weak by day 3, but I would like to do some kind of workout, I get so weak I don't think lifting weights is an option here. Should I do something like the pic and and some free weight squads?

I have lost 10kg since I started fasting and OMAD, but I definitely lost some muscle.

What kind of workout would you advice during a fast?

Attached: Abs-of-Steel.jpg (650x825, 71K)

I have never fasted for days (3 days max, and I have been on a 300KCal a day a year ago) so don't take my shock too seriously. It does seem a bit too optimistic, though.
I am a newbie here, I never fasted for a week but I am starting today

Are you people doing cardio and weight training? Should I?
Maybe some LISS 30 min + hight intensity low volume training?

this thread is for larping

for real results and pics join the snekman's facebook group

ah, and another question:
i'm a fat sack of shit. had huge success with a ketogenic diet before, am in deep ketosis now.
if i start fasting now, the autophagy-phase wouldn't happen, or am i mistaken?

Christ lads I need to know something, If I go from 280 pounds to 160 will my shoe size drop? I wear US size 12s, how bad will it be? I'm not buying shoes again, I'll just have the front and back lined with foam to reduce the foot room.

dry fasting turning into water fast
is it really bad that my middle toe feels weird?
it feels kinda numb
also i had a bunch of sugar right before it
will i need to slowly re-feed?
been at it now for about 38 hours

i quit facebook, so it would be great if somebody could share their experiences here.

No, it was just a few random user posts I read here. I'm 8 days in on a 40 day fast I'll be sure to update the /fast/ thread with my progress when I'm done.

8% bf in 10 days is a bit ludicrous, but are you really sure you have 18%? Are you super skinny fat with no muscles?
71kg isnt bad for your height. Unless you are female.

I don't know how much it will be for you but yes, your shoe size will drop I was a 11.5 US and I went to 11/10.5 when I finished. I dropped from 270 to around 180 granted I am still fat at the moment.

Can someone tell me the minimum amount of time to drink snake juice to avoid shits.

with a short fast there is no danger but you can prime if you want.

Attached: 1518541831378.jpg (862x3832, 891K)

Are you taking some electrolytes?
Maybe do a keto diet beforehand.
Mild exercise to increase bloodflow helps against weaknedd while fasting.

thanks, been looking a lot for this image

Your heart is already stressed by changing electrolyte balance. Do you want to add caffeine to the mix? I wouldn't feel comfortable.

zero

Literally the definition of a dyel with visceral abdominal fat from drinking 1k+ kcal in alcohol a day. Last time this year I had the similar levels of nutrition and activity and I was 65kg so I wouldn't be surprised if those 6kg were fat.
Bf%, I'm not sure, various calculators show anything from 17%-20%. Calipers are kinda useless because the fat gain isn't subcutaneous, so I gotta rely on various approximations via measuring tape, like pic related.

Attached: Screenshot_20180320-210726.png (1080x1920, 347K)

any advice on how to deal with cravings? im not even hungry but usually after 60h i crave food so bad i usually fail. thanks

Yes I drink my snake juice and I feel okay, but too weak to lift weight, I just don't want to lose more muscle but I need to drop that extra kgs that are preventing muh abs to show up

I did keto as well during my fasts and omad periods

yep, it's self regulating. had coffee two days in once, won't have coffee during fasts anymore.

Multivitamin and fish oil are still a go right?

on day two wish me luck anons

Attached: 1510905625598.jpg (1131x800, 342K)

This is a new fasting extent. Not feeling hungry and am in keto. Goal was 48 but now thinking 72 with this fast. Do you think fasting the extra day is worthwhile? Currently at 169.8 lb, 5'10", 17.3% bodyfat. Down from 177.8 lb, 18.2%. Looking to cut to 12% bodyfat.

Zero for iOS

Is Berocca tablet bad to have for vitamins? 5 cal (21 KJ)

Any experience with IF eating an evening meal, but waking up and consuming 30g protein within 30 minutes of waking per Tim Ferris?

I'm doing IF-keto, with a fat coffee in the AM (so not a true fast). But Ferris makes a case for 30g of protein as a huge metabolic booster.

For sure it's worthwhile to go longer. First for the confidence and to accomplish something you haven't before. Second because you'll probably drop about 1lb per day you stay in past day 3.

If you fast for an extended period growth hormone goes through the roof. IMO, the GH surge is going to do a lot more got lipolysis than interfering with that surge by way of morning protein supplementation.

Thx breh

Fuck I’m hungry already ;(

what ages are suitable to fast with snakewater ?
I'm 23 and I've been fine but I've been trying to get my dad and little brother to lose weight with me (we're all fatasses and it'd be easier to lose weight if we all did it together)
My dad is 48 and my brother is 17. Do you guys think they would be fine if they also fasted with me ?

Work out if you want but imo its pointless if you’re seriously fasting. Think about it. Everyday you are burning your TDEE worth of calories. That’s multiple days worth of calories being burned. 3500 ish calories is 1lb of fat so you can assume that every time you burn 3500 calories while in ketosis you are burning almost 1lb of pure fat. You are doing weeks worth of fat burning work in a fraction of the time. Just relax and let the body do it’s thing. Use the time to catch up on tv, books, video games, or whatever other hobbies you have.

dad yes, brother no

why not my brother ?

Studies show that males under 21 that fast tend to exhibit homosexual tendencies and incestual homosexual tendencies oddly enough. There was that British family who got outted cause the three brothers kept sucking each other’s dicks.

got a source for that ?

ask your brother

on account of his growth plates not yet being closed. You don't want him to be a manlet do you? It will vary by individual, but concerns about potential impact on growth are the main reason people don't advocate fasting for under 21. Honestly if he's not short a few weeks would probably benefit him.

he's taller than me he'll probably be fine lmao

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz7r3n5NeYU

So that explains the gay demographic

>be me
>be going on 72 hours in fast feeling great
>squad wants to get breakfast and beers after night shift
>don’t want to break fast/get out of keto but participating in squad events is important
>go home and run a 5k before the meetup
>fuck it, go drink a Bloody Mary, 3 pints of craft beer, and eat a carb loaded meal
>thoroughly enjoyed myself
>haven’t eaten since, back over 24 hours into next fast
>check ketones
>higher than before the meal
>mfw
Could the alcohol have somehow kept me in ketosis despite all the carbs?

i bet you conducted those "studies"

There is some Xrays exam that can determine if your bone plates are closed yet. If thats the case, the kid should do it before fasting.

I know I was pretty short as a kid, so i did some of those exams. Mine didnt close for a while and i kept growing, im pretty taller than my parents, almost a foot.

Nah I was one of the brothers

interesting , ive already cut those types of drinks . im glad i did so .

Attached: what do.jpg (1080x899, 192K)

I’m pissed, my parents are 5’7 and 5’0. Bother my brothers are 6’0 and here I am, the youngest, and I’m 5’6. Fucking shafted.

alcohol actually lowers the blood sugar, that's why you crave food after a drinking binge.
i don't know the connection to ketosis, but i experienced the same.
but it's one of the things i like about fasting: you can go full glutton once in awhile, it just doesn't matter that much.

You probably just burned through the alcohol and the carbs today and is already in ketosis. Remember that if you consistently eat multiple meals a day, your liver and muscles store up to 4k calories worth of glucose.
Thats why getting in ketosis the first time in a while is hard and take 2-3 days.
If you are doing OMAD or less frequent, never letting glucose get stored, you can go to ketosis really fucking fast.
Snakeman says 12-18h might be enough to go back to deep ketosis

Yeah after the meal I went to sleep and when I woke up it was a little difficult to not eat but it passed rather quickly. Just drank some water and coffee. I had heard that alcohol actually deepens ketosis but I didn’t think I’d stay in it after all the carbs I ate

Ah I see that makes sense. Thanks bruv

did you check ketones in your piss?They might show that you are in ketosis even day after actually breaking it. Blood is more reliable

Yeah piss. It’s been about 31 hours since I ate. I also pissed a decent amount since but idk how it works

hnnnng

Depends on the specific sweetener used. You can Google them to find out what their GI (Glycemic Index) is. High = bad, and some of them are higher than actual sugar.

tl;dr Stevia = best, erythritol and sucralose = OK, maltodextrin = literally figuratively cancer, saccharin = literally literally cancer.

well, your body actually develops the ability to go into ketosis faster. a friend of mine (kind of a paleo nut) went into keto after only 12 hours of fasting or so.
if i am in keto, i tend to eat carbs right after lifting heavy (kebablove is true love). i'm not sure where they go, but i'm in keto again in no time after that and somehow still gain muscle.

Yes, alcohol can actually deepen your ketosis, but I was recommended to stick with clear liquors when starting.

that stuff is poison.
but those "empty" insulin spikes actually promote ketosis, bc the body has to "feed" the insulin with sugar. if you're deeper in ketosis, that stuff just weakens you. at least that's my experience. if you need something sweet, homemade ice tea with a bit of stevia is nice.

I’m new to fasting. Had been on a plateau for three weeks and decided to do a 72 hr water fast. Literally lost nine lbs and 8 have stayed off since. I’m about 54 hrs into another 72 hr water fast and haven’t lost a damn thing. Why? Inb4 read the sticky.

it's still funny to taste beer after a couple of weeks of keto. that stuff is sweet as hell.

Fuck that just work out like normal. Just no cardio

I have one question.

I put the 2000mg of sodium and 4700mg of potassium in 1 L of Evian and sip it thru out the day. done.

But do I/can I drink another 1l of fresh drinking water thru the day?

2L water per day. 1l being fresh 1l being snake juice?

Opinions on Topo Chico, Green Tea, & Black Tea during a water fast? Going for 1 month and figure I'll get tired of salt water and plain water

Attached: 1521205405225.png (416x430, 181K)

there seems to be a tendency of fat cells to retain water to a certain extent. which means that water gets flushed out in non-regular intervals, usually if the cell gets depleted of fat. or so.
i actually read about that on reddit, they call it the wooosh-effect or sth along that line. just be patient user. maybe prolong the fast a bit. you are losing fat.

Yes, just up your sodium amounts in your snake juice, keep potassium at the same though

Agreed. Plus it was craft beer, one of them mango, it was like drinking straight juice. It really beats the 12 light beers at home method. I really enjoyed what I was drinking