/run/ - Running Thread

Running General

Got questions? Get answers.

What do you think is the running equivalent of 1/2/3/4

20:00/42:30/1:40/3:30
5k/10k/half-marathon/marathon ?

Attached: runningbodybuilder.png (631x334, 293K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HP9mQrC3iVo
youtu.be/G9NbxhAKCrQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How to solve runners knee?

F, 145 lbs, 22

History: Ran since 12 yrs old (~2-5 miles a day). Bout two yrs ago ran a half marathon. Got knee pain during it. Ran thru it. Get knee pain while running now...either knee, kicks in at approx. 2 to 5 mile mark. Took a break from running to learn lifting. did squats/deadlifts (no knee pain during this, just running)

want to get back into it so I can run Ragnar.

What is the solution? New shoes? New technique? Foam roll the it band? Exercise weak muscles (abductors/adductors)?

Any ideas are very welcome.

usually when I start to feel my knees when running it is because my shoes are way too old. Do you have recent running shoes?

Not currently, tho I plan to get some. The reason I doubt that will solve it is that I did briefly try to restart running on brand-new shoes last yr and had knee issues still.

Find out if you run neutral, pronate or supinate and get the proper shoes for it. Focus on a lot of mobility work and foam rolling that usually solves most of the problem. And if it comes down to it consider using strong dosage of Fish oil, Curcumin, and MSM.

Can you recommend specific mobility work/foam rolling? I know nothing about it. I'll look into getting curcumin. I just got msm, what dosage would you take?

>20:00/42:30/1:40/3:30
Yeah that's probably about right, took me about 9 months to do the first 3 from scratch, but a year and a half in and I still haven't ran further than 20 miles

I notice women tend to run very heavy, as in, you land with the weight of a thousand suns on your heels.

Try changing your landing. Switch to mid-foot/fore-foot instead of heel striking.
youtube.com/watch?v=HP9mQrC3iVo

I don't have any specific but I would suggest focusing on hamstrings, IT band and hips. Having tight hips pulls on the quads which makes the knee feel a lot of pressure. Recommended dosage for Curcumin. Fish Oil I double the dosage once in the morning and another towards the evening.

9 months to reach that is good, great job!

Thanks will watch after work. I read that barefoot running book, any truth to it that people have experienced? (Iirc it talked about not striking on heels)

Started trail running in the nearby forest recently. Feels pretty good, very natural and pristine, but today I sprained my a bit on some root. It's a minor sprain, but still very annoying.

Anyone knows any good ankle strength exercises?

Attached: 0338Y2o.jpg (480x640, 72K)

Doing C25K because my lungs are garbage but I'm enjoying it. I'm planning to run my first 5K by late April in Philly if anyone wants to join.

Run on the balls of your feet dont heel strike the ground.

run and sprint, dont jog
listen to the expert in this video

youtu.be/G9NbxhAKCrQ

>Don't jog
In what context?

Barefoot mechanics are the truth. You don't need to run barefoot, but you do need to run like barefoot. Heelstrikes transmit the impact shock into your joints. Fore/mid landing allows that bigass tendon+muscle on the back of your ankle absorb the shock instead.

I seriously hope you don't seriously believe that guy.

Attached: costanza.png (500x375, 299K)

>tfw you try to squeeze in a run the hour before work
>tfw they're always shit because you literally roll out of bed and go without breakfast or water

Attached: 1518489163810.jpg (807x659, 66K)

>want to start running
>have bad knees that crunch when I crouch or go up stairs
>no dedicated running shoes
>can't afford condrontin, but do take CoQ10

How bad will I fuck myself if I start?

Often exercise can help with problems, just don't overdo it. Go slow, build up, if you feel serious pain lay off or stop.

How worried should I be about numbness below the knees? It's not an extreme numbness but it starts to get felt around the last 1-2 kilometers when I do 5K's. I'm 6'3 and 220 lbs and a slow runner, I do 5K's at about 38 minutes right now, so my weight is probably the reason, should I just keep pounding my legs until they get stronger/I lose some weight?

>What do you think is the running equivalent of 1/2/3/4

Sub-18/Sub-40/Sub-1:30/Sub-3:05
or just qualify for Boston

Go slow, use an elliptical at first if you can, ice has necessary.

Are you stretching? Kind of a dumb question, but if you're not, it's most likely that.

Good to know. It is cold where I am, but I'll try and run barefoot (indoors maybe) to get a feel for the mechanics.

Not a dumb question, I stretch sometimes. But not regularly. Do you have recommended stretches? I think I only know a very few.

I like running at the gym, but lately I have been getting extremely bad abdominal cramps after I finish. On a regular day I start by walking for two minutes and then try to jog/run until I get to twenty minutes. A few minutes after I stop the cramps begin and I feel nauseous.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I cramp up so much after, I’m not sure if it’s constipation, overexerting myself (I upped my pace recently), maybe not drinking enough water before I start. It’s frustrating.

For the knee, the classic quad stretch and forward leaning hamstring stretches can help with some types of pain. Do them every day for 30 seconds, whenever you feel like it. I do it before bed, when I am already in my underwear and so I don't risk ripping my pants.
I know they fucking suck, but they do work.

Thanks. I'll start doing them. Hate stretching, but obviously it is necessary.

Is there any way i can stop feeling pain on the arches of my feet? I had plantar fasciitis last year and I took like a 9 month running break because of it. Now i want to run again, but after every mile i run i start getting pain in my soles which forces me to stop and stand around until the feeling stops. I don't feel super tired when i run 1 mile, its just the fear that I'll develop sharp arch pain again.

Advice pls

Am I at a disadvantage is my legs are slightly knocked? Is there even any hope compared to people with normal straight legs?

Attached: 1519725617846.png (592x401, 235K)

For reference, laugh all you want

Attached: IMG_20180321_194723.jpg (2014x3407, 985K)

Show us your Boi pussy

Hey guys, I'm looking to be able to run 2 miles in around 10 minutes. Currently, I can run a mile in about 6 (I only started running recently). Should I just continue trying to improve my mile time, or should I be training in some other way?

My ass is so hairy I've never even seen my own asshole before

Calf raises. I use dumbbells and a couple of stacked two by fours that you find at the gym. Also deadlifts seem to help.

if I get totally winded from a 70m jog will running (or trying to) everyday help improve my atrocious cardio?
I feel like im a lost cause

Just run slower. I used to run a couple miles at ~8.5 mph. I wanted to run longer, so I started running ~6.5 mph for 4 miles. Now I run about 8 miles at 7 mph and feel even better at mile 5 than mile 1. Never thought I could be one of those people but it happened for me so I bet it could happen for you.

Bicycling is also great for cardio.

I'm currently doing c25k, and just wondering what the suggested walk/run pace would be? I'm currently doing 6km/h for walking and 15km/h for the run. I'm on the 3rd week now, and I can't see myself being able to keep the 15km/h up.

Is there any benefit from running marathons besides being able to brag about it?
Not even baiting it just seems boring and worse than other exercises for me

>185lbs
>Run a mile in 4:15

I wanna get my mile into the sub 4 minute range without losing weight, which would make me the heaviest person to run a 4 minute mile. Pray for me Veeky Forums.

Add shorter distances; maybe a mile and a sprint?

Running is good for my mental and physical health, so I try to do it a lot. Giving myself a goal like that pushes me more than I otherwise would have. The marathon is also just a cool concept to me. Created in honor of Pheidippides and performed at the olympics for over 100 years. It’s unique. I don’t understand the bumper stickers though. And especially the half marathon bumper stickers. So you did half of the thing that already doesn’t make sense to brag about on your car? Lmao.

Bump

>just remembered a time when my dad lied to me as a kid and now I'm angry
I remember I was trying to get into running, I asked him how far a mile was and he outright lied, saying that a mile was much longer than it actually is.

I gave up running because I thought 'if it takes me 50 minutes to run half a mile, I must just not be built for this shit'. Later I realised I was going much much further than a mile. I'm actually really angry about it, what a prick. Doesn't help that he never taught me anything or spent time with me growing up.

Honestly, it's damn fun. Hate training but the race in itself is a great experience.

Again, you don't need to run barefoot, you need to run 'like' you're barefoot.

Doing the first marathon of the year in May! Gonna follow the 3:30 people and see if I can keep up. The marathon is training for my alpine ultra marathon in July. It'll be my third ultra. I'm working up to 100km which I'm hoping to do next year for my 30th birthday. The ultimate goal is a 100 miler (160km), but for now 100k is a great challenge. My experience so far includes ironman triathlon and two 60km ultra trail runs.

Running is the greatest sport.

Tell me about your relationship to your parents

Attached: Freud.jpg (192x262, 4K)

I get some sharp ass pain right above my ankle on the back of my leg when I quickly try to stand up. I think it happens only if I step with my toes. Feels like getting sliced with a knife. Whats wrong

Sounds like youve fucked up a tendon or ligament dude. Go get it checked out, dont try running on it.

I overtrained and got calf tears about 5 months ago but trained through it for 3 months, now i havent run in about 2 months and it still aches if I stretch it too much. Dont do what I did, get it checked out, rest, compression, dont run on it.

I have no hobbies so I just thought of giving running a chance since nothing seems interest me. Can't even do that properly. I think I started running too hard from complete nothing.
Why is human body so frail

Attached: 1491736885548.jpg (606x496, 67K)

Yeah sadly thats how it goes, overtraining is a bitch.

It's not even brag worthy if you're around other runners. A fast 5k will bring you more respect from actual runners than just completing a marathon. I ran 15:40 for 5k in college and did a marathon on almost no training years later just because people kept pestering me about it. I ran 2:50:xx off of minimal training and all of my non-runner friends were way more impressed by the marathon but all my runner friends knew that my marathon training was completely half assed.

My calf muscles are tight and uncomfortable as fuck. Any good stretches?

Lie with your back on the floor, knees bent and feet on the floor comfortably. Slowly extend one leg keeping your foot perpendicular (i.e not pointing it), hold your hands behind your knee and gently pull your leg up, making sure it stays straight. When it gets to around 80+ degrees you should start to feel a stretch down your calves and the back of your legs. Hold for 30 seconds then repeat with other leg.

After I ran today a bunch of bloody discharge came out while I was on the toilet, so I guess I’ll be seeing a doctor soon.

Good luck for your 100k, I did a flat one and my body was depleted after the first 50k, the other half was a pain.
Also, make sure to shit before.

Fucking hell; just go already.

Thanks. Eating enough has always been a problem for me.

How were your trail ultra before?
I have done marathon and 100k but it was all flat and I would like to try some things up the mountains soon.
How many miles per week do you train?

My two trail ultras were fun, and didn't have a crazy level of elevation. I live in Denmark, so it's very flat, but some trails offer a challenge. I'm traveling to Switzerland for the ultra in July. I do a lot of interval training, and a lot of interval-on-steep-hills training, next to long distance on flat roads. I think I normally run between 50 and 80km a week usually.

Thanks a lot.

Don’t give up. Find out how to heal like that other user said and try again but slower and less distance. I had shin splint issues for a couple years but now I’m running my ass off. Feels great. It sucks to be punished for attempting to be healthy, but keep your mind on the next step and your goal.

Are muscles supposed to get tighter as part of the adaptation for running?
Maybe I shouldnt stretch them out too much?
Or am I overthinking things?

Don't stretch before runs. It's some weird PE meme form the 80s. Just run the first few km's slowly. Stretch afterwards is optimal. I'm the ultra runner from above and I never stretch. Never had an injury in my life.

Fuck, optimal = optional! I'm tired

Going to a seeding race in two weeks for my first half marathon.
Hoping to run 10km in 45-47:30 and place in the 5-9 starting groups out of 25 total.

My big goal for the half marathon is sub-1:45, but we'll see how that goes.

/end blog

Attached: 1473005057438.jpg (496x496, 134K)

Strength training wise, stretching before you lift actually lowers your strength a few %.
So I guess it will impact your running too.

100k and marathon guy from above (not the ultra guy) I never stretch either and never have an injury. That might be retarded but it worked for me.
When I had huge pain in the shin during my first marathon trainings I did some weird stretch, cold water and slow running and it went away after a while.

Good luck, that seems like a reachable goal. Come back and tell us when you did it.

what are some good stretches or stretch routines? before/after, i got stiff legs that make it harder to DL/squat since im not too flexible. when i run my legs get tense, like solid brick

That three-and-a-half minute marathon is going to be a BITCH!

yeah, I dont do stretches before runs. Just noticed that I'm becoming slightly less flexible in lower body. Just been wondering if a certain level of flexibility can affect results

Attached: Running Stretching Exercies.jpg (1304x804, 221K)