Exercises for Bad Knees

I'm 22 and trying to get Veeky Forums, and the main thing holding me up from getting in the complete shape I want is my knees. I can't crouch or go up stairs without them crunching. I'd like to be in good overall shape instead of toned upper body and calves with blubbery thighs, but I'm not sure what to do. My gym friends keep trying to get me to do squats or run to strengthen my knees, but that seems like a mistake to me.

Help me Obi Veeky Forums Kenobi. You're my only hope

Attached: Blausen_0597_KneeAnatomy_Side.png (250x188, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/by-itself-knee-crunching-sound-generally-not-cause-for-concern/
livestrong.com/article/537454-leg-muscle-warm-up-exercises/),
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4970562/
drrobertlaprademd.com/snapping-hamstrings-pain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Attached: 1517506270751.jpg (605x807, 163K)

I’m not a doctor and don’t quote me or follow my advice, and always consult your doctor before starting any exercise program, and never follow anyone’s advice on a Chinese animation board on the internet, BUT I had that when I started, I never had any knee issues, and I noticed I that it went away after squatting often enough.
Honestly, and again I’m not a doctor, I would just squat and if I have any pain I’d stop and if I don’t I’d just disregard it

My knees do the same shit. 22 also. They literally crack and pop while squats or leg press. I have to stop midway and kick it out. Feels weird and unatural desu..

My knees do the exact same as you OP. I do bulgarian split squats instead of regular squats, give them a shot. The only down side is going bulgarian split squats.

I'll give those a shot then. Thanks anons

RIP. Maybe try what suggested

are you a doctor?

Attached: 1460733280382.jpg (800x577, 41K)

It's ok if it pops, but if it hurts then it's probably cartilage degeneration.

When I drank too much soda when I was young my knees would do the same thing. Try to clean up your diet and see if that helps

Im guilty of eating fast food almost every day [spoiler]don't have a choice yet[/spoiler] but I don't get fries or anything sweet. I try to make it as healthy as possible, even though I know it'll never actually be healthy if you get what I mean. That might be where the issue is for me

Popping's normal? Good to know

Yes, I am. How did you know?

Just as long as your knees don't pop every time you squat and it doesn't hurt then I suppose it's okay. If you're worried about it then go ask next time you see your doctor.

>reminds me of my problematic knees and paying doctors for various check-ups.
A doctor can check for loose ligaments and use x-ray to look for fractures, splinters or worn out bones, but there is a small chance in hell they'll be able to give you actual useful advice since knees are a mystery to modern science.
Your best bet is to consult an experienced athlete physiotherapist since they often know from experience what works or not.

Fact is that exercising the knees is usually the only way to make them better, so basically your gymbros are right.
Make sure all movements are slow and that your knees are well warmed up. Can use knee-support for extra stability and warmth.

Again, no quick frantic movements that ends up offloading weight to the knees/tendons. It should always be your muscles doing the work. That way you know you're not overloading the knees.
A little ache is ok, but if your knees gets worse as months go by instead of better, then something is wrong.

Don't take my advice, I dont want you to snap your shit up. Go see a doctor or a physical therapist BUT

I'm honestly really skeptical of people who say they have bad knees. Have you ever torn your acl or mcl? Have you ever damaged your meniscus? Ever had knee surgery? Are you over 300lbs? Did you jog on pavement everyday for 8 years straight?

Do your knees actually hurt or do they just crunch?

Crunchy knee itself is pretty standard and caused by rubbing of cartilage. The answer is to strengthen your surround leg muscles and working on the flexibility of them. Not working the muscles around your knee and letting them stiffen over time actually makes it worse. I've found mine got better from squatting and stretching my quads, hams, calves, glutes. It will feel weird at first for sure, start really light, Saying your knee crunches when you walk up stairs so you cant workout is retarded.

newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/by-itself-knee-crunching-sound-generally-not-cause-for-concern/

Good read to explain my bro-science.

bad kness, lmao like just do them exercises bro lmao bad knees come on snap city come on

Attached: 1517905062001.jpg (1024x731, 299K)

>Again, no quick frantic movements that ends up offloading weight to the knees/tendons. It should always be your muscles doing the work

So running is off the table then? Thanks very much for the info

Thanks user

I really appreciate all you guys helping me out with this

front squats you fucking retards. don't back squat ever again

warm yourself up properly(till you are sweaty and your entire body feels warm) and do glutehams, never do leg extensions or leg press. start with goblet squats for a week and add unilaterals to your routine(do this shit for a month). start the program supersquats for at least 6weeks.

Any tips to fix cartilage degeneration?
Is it even possible without any kind of surgery?

Attached: 1512737309553.png (1063x1063, 245K)

bad knees at 22?
what are you a girl? (actually)

Sounds coming from your knees doesn’t mean shit. Mine crackle and pop plenty but with no pain or discomfort. Quit making excuses - as long as there’s no sharp pain you’ll be fine. The reason they’re not perfect is probably because of too LITTLE activity (squatting and running).

I didn't know I had lymes disease while doing a lot of high impact sports as a teenager and it deteriorated my knees until one of my meniscus' tore
I had surgery and since then I always thought I had "bad knees", but then a couple months ago I started squating and deadlifting, dyel numbers by this websites standards, but I haven't had any problems and if anything they feel like they're stronger than ever

collagen peptides?

bpc-157

>8th grade track team
>trip over a hurdle during my last race at the last meet of the season
>fuck up my knee
>heal
>6 years later
>sometimes hurts like a bitch for days, but only after running 4+ miles, anything less is completely fine

wtf

Okay so I'm going to start leg day proper. I'll do the warm ups here (livestrong.com/article/537454-leg-muscle-warm-up-exercises/), squats, split squats, and running to try to strengthen my knees and thighs. Any objections?

Thanks again for all the help everyone

Running does NOT strengthen the knees at all. Running for some fat boy like you will just cause accumulated tendinitis in them and you'll be really fucked. If you want to strengthen them, do low bar squats. Mainly because the torque is transferred from the quads and knees to the musculature of the hips, which are a much bigger and stronger muscle group and can easily handle the torque. Not saying highbar squats are bad but for someone with knee problems the low bar is the safest best. Check out Mark Rippetoe on how to do the low bar squat and he explains why in more detail on how your hips take the load and use it better than the knees. im also tired and too arsed to write an essay about it.

I'm no doctor but i am an exercise scientist.

I'm not actually fat, I've dropped 60lbs of fat since June. I'm in good shape, just a bit skinnyfat with ripped calves and meh knees and thighs. Still, thanks for the advice. I'll add that to my leg day routine. I already have tendonitis in my knees because I'm a dumbass that did push ups and planks barefoot. It's eased up significantly since I took a week break and started using shoes though. If fat is the main thing that causes tendonitis, I think I'll be fine

Lose a little more weight and squat often. Be sure you have good form before upping the weight though

Type II collagen supplementation.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4970562/

Osteoarthritis can actually become an autoimmune disorder once a bad enough inflammatory cascade starts. Type II collagen can stop that cascade from starting and reduces the inflammation.

MD here. I have that crunching knee thing, probably from a torn meniscus that not healed correctly, and also still suffer from Osgood-Schlatter disease pain.
If you feel no pain I would recommend some light exercise first, until your leg muscles promote more support on the knee. So, no squats (or running without proper conditioning).
If you feel pain, try some low knee impact sports, like swimming.

Anyways, go to a doctor first, specially if you feel any pain. Knee injuries are very difficult to heal, and if not healed correctly, very difficult to treat.

Sorry, english is not my first language, tried to help.

I get cracking and clicking all the time AND have Osgood Schlatter disease, cant even touch my right kneecap without heavy pain. If anyone ever kicked me in the knee in a fight its over then and there.

Hopefully its nearly gone

My knees can't even handle push ups and planks when properly supported with shoes, so I'll definitely follow your advice. I'll work up to what I said here Sorry to hear about your disease. Hopefully they're working on a cure

Thank you

What im getting from this thread is that my knees are bad from me being lazy, and since I know my pain is tendonitis, I need to wait a bit for it to heal up and then do stretches and exercise. Being a lazy shit is bad for the body. Who knew? Sorry to hear about the disease though, and thanks for the well wishes

your quads are probably faggotier

find quad meme machine and work that shit

That's probably the issue, yeah. Apparently having disproportionate leg muscles can exacerbate this too, and my calves are ripped but my thighs are pudgy. That's exactly my problem, according to the thread and research I've done since making it

Running is pretty hard on the knees if they're already bad. Biking is the classic low-impact alternative cardio, I'd go with that. It can also be a good starting point for building leg muscle which should be helpful for your knees but unless you really get into it you'll want to do resistance training for good muscle growth. Best of luck.

Also stretching can help knee pain in some people. It depends on if it primarily hurts because of an issue with the joint itself or because of the way your leg muscles are working (probably a combination of the two). Look at running knee stretches of you wanna try that out.

HGH directly into the knee

Thanks again for the help everyone

tfw have an exercise bike that I can't get to

tfw my real bike is 20 years old, rusted with flat tires

I need to save up and get another real bike. I'm nervous to start running, but people keep telling me it's low impact with proper technique, so I'm torn. Lots of conflicting information

I might do stretches daily as long as the stretches themselves don't count as an exercise. I probably do have minor joint issues from running like a retard when I was a kid, but I think it's mostly muscular.

>knee pain

had the exact same issue when I was working out and it has slowly gone away. I did calf stretches, and butterfly stretches before doing squats and it helped since tight calves/inner thighs are the devil for squats.

Had same problem, knees would snapcracklepop since I was 12. Leg muscles too tight. Spend 20 minutes everyday stretching then then do high rep BW squats. It goes away.

Hmmmmm, I'll try those stretches out

BW squats? I'm pretty nooby when it comes to fitness, sorry

Bodyweight, ass to ground deep squats.

I eat this daily and my knees feel better than 30 years ago even atg.
t. oldfag

The stronger you get your quads, the more work you take off your knee. I have a bad knee since I was a kid. I fucked it up really bad in a bike wreck about 8-9 years old and it was never right after that. I squat. With very careful form. I never do lunges. Split squats are good. Avoid going up or downhill loaded. Avoid machines like the whatever that thing is called where you extend your leg out. Stick with compound squats. When your knee bitches at you, ease off and do something else. Glucosamine/chondroitin helps.

*compound movements, like squats*

Did you mean to respond to because I will start eating more of those if so

That... makes sense. I'll do that alongside split squats more than likely, since I'm guessing they hit different parts of the leg

I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thank you user. Gonna give the tendonitis in my knees a few days to ease up and then try to incorporate what I've learned from you and everyone else into a comprehensive leg day routine. Kinda sad that my quads are so pathetic that push ups and planks would give my knees tendonitis

I'd fuck her pussy, if you catch my drift.

The beautiful thing about resistance training is that is toughens up your bones and connective tissues and you actually grow new mitochondria and all that sciency stuff. Your body will adapt to new demands. Just find ways to do it without further injuring yourself.

If your glutes are also pudgy, correct your walking posture before start doing localized leg exercises at the gym. People tend to develop great calves when they walk mostly with them, instead of using their glutes and quads. That also can contiribute to the incorrect position of the knee while walking and the crunching sounds, due to the the slight lower dislocation of your center of gravity.

Best wishes!

>t. same MD from

Anyone know how to fix lateral plica on the lateral femoral condyle sorta area.

Clicks every fucking time i go to 90° i only ever hear of people having it on the medial side. Had an MRI and they said everything was fine then doc said it's probably a plica and harmless only fix would be invasive surgery but it's so fucking annoying and i kept on squatting with the clicks for a few months and im starting to feel my acl/pcl weaken now

It may actually be this:
drrobertlaprademd.com/snapping-hamstrings-pain/

Go to a physiotherapist
From the /fit physiotherapist.

Where do you live?

I will find you a physio to go to online.

From the /fit physio.

You need to strech and to squat, as well as to dl.

I had menisectomy so my knees are going to get arthritis no matter what

I just figure they'll have bionic knees by the time I'm truly fucked, so I do whatever the hell I want with them now

Try bulgarian split squats, hip thrusts, boxed squats and barbell hack squats. Rowing or swimming is great also.
Also very important: Stretch quads and calves daily!
Name your third child after me

Attached: 1520709484029.png (700x471, 34K)

Sounds similar i did have a broken fibula just before i started getting this problem

>Type II collagen
is that some meme pill or is eating bone broth or gelatine enough?