Is 1g protein per lb of body weight really necessary?

Is 1g protein per lb of body weight really necessary?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.42.44 AM.png (1116x634, 763K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
youtube.com/watch?v=MeFbC8rzyRY
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29497353
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28642676
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/491874
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2439525/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is reading the sticky really necessary?

Nope. The sticky is nonsense, do not read it.

Per pound LEAN body mass

It’s supposed to be 1g of protein per 1lb of lean muscle mass. Not body weight

Even that is too much, I thought.

1lb/bw is the upper limit, stay around there and no higher for a lean body comp.

And eat what, carbs? You could probably eat less protein and be fine, but theres no harm in excess protein except for deadly braps

How do I calculate lean muscle mass?

Doesn't have to be super precise, just estimate your body fat. For example, 200lb person with 25% bodyfat (or 50lb of body fat) has 150lb of lean mass.

Ronnie coleman ate 2g per lb.

At first, though for a lot the number goes down.

Oooooooh... how do you find your lean body mass?

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Ignore everyone else pulling shit of their ass. "Most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb."

0.8g/kg bodyweight for normies
1.0-1.2g/kg for stress, injury, recovery for normies
1.5g/kg for regular gym goers/most of Veeky Forums
2.0g/kg or higher for competitive athletes (not SS you mong)

>2.0g/kg or higher for competitive athletes

You got any proof of this? As far as I understand novices need more than advanced athletes because the body becomes better and better as retaining and utilizing amino acids.

It's the standard recommendations that have been reinforced through years of my nutrition education. However I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to "retaining amino acids". The body does not "store" protein: it maintains a "protein pool" that constantly revolves around building enzymes, protein-carrier molecules, and tissue/muscle repair, and is consistently balanced by intake and excretion of nitrogen. The way to measure protein utilization would be UUN (urinary-urea nitrogen excretion or something like that). Essentially you convert protein intake into nitrogen intake, and then compare this to urinary nitrogen losses. A positive n balance means that you have a greater intake compared to excretion, meaning that the extra protein is being used to build tissue. A negative balance means that your body is excreting more than you intake. Depending on the amount of muscle to repair, the body will utilize more protein. Hence, elite athletes that train their tits off should require more protein and utilize it more than a gym casual.

Check the dietary practises of all mammals in the wild.
All animals eat around 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight a day, even herbivores.

more like 1.6g per kg bodyweight, somewhere around that +- 0.2g is what I try to get.

youtube.com/watch?v=MeFbC8rzyRY
The king has spoken

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.29.05 AM.png (780x1278, 1.08M)

not the user you responded to but afaik the reasoning behind new trainees needing more protein than seasoned lifters is that newbes are further away from their potential. therefore they have a lot more new tissue to build than the elites who do not need as much to maintain their muscles.

As long as you're staying sufficiently hydrated, yes. All the protein places extra strain on your kidneys, but if you're drinking enough water the effects are nonexistent.

my god, i've been doing it wrong this whole time

Pretty much

>bf% * bw = x
>subtract x from bw
simple math bruh

You didn't answer his question but instead nitpicked his use of "store" to justify your whole appeal to authority argument.

Advanced athletes need less protein than new lifters as their bodies get better at utilizing it and the get closer to their genetic potential.

Rennie & Tipton, 2000; Hartman, Moore & Phillips, 2006; Moore et al., 2007

Furthermore, 1.5 hour, six days a week training didn't increase protein needs over .75 per pound in Lemon et al. (1992). Endurance athletes need less protein than strength based athletes.

there actually may be. i don't have the studies at hand, but excess protein seems to speed up some aging processes or sth along that line.
0.8 g per lb lean mass is sufficient for athletes, anyway. and you could just a little more healthy fat instead of carbs.

this. this so much.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29497353

"Based on the current evidence, we conclude that to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day. Using the upper daily intake of 2.2 g/kg/day reported in the literature spread out over the same four meals would necessitate a maximum of 0.55 g/kg/meal."

At least 0.7g/pound of lean body mass, however, since protein absorption rate isn't perfect and not all protein is absorbed exactly the same, a mix of sources (plant, fish, meat, dairy, etc) around ~1g would cover all your bases while cutting, bulking, etc. More than that wouldn't hurt but won't help much either.

Also

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28642676

"For building muscle mass and for maintaining muscle mass through a positive muscle protein balance, an overall daily protein intake in the range of 1.4–2.0 g protein/kg body weight/day (g/kg/d) is sufficient for most exercising individuals"

"Higher protein intakes (2.3–3.1 g/kg/d) may be needed to maximize the retention of lean body mass in resistance-trained subjects during hypocaloric periods."

"There is novel evidence that suggests higher protein intakes (>3.0 g/kg/d) may have positive effects on body composition in resistance-trained individuals (i.e., promote loss of fat mass)."

if you're roiding: 1.5g/lb
if you're natty: .75g/lb

Doesnt matter at all, complete bogus. Only calorie matter and if you're natty you wont gain much muscle anyways

Attached: 266e1a3133af8216708aef184ccdb790.jpg (640x640, 65K)

Saturated fat, which unlike protein is actually needed in large quantities to build new cells.

This is false. Steroid users require even less protein than natural lifters as steroids prevent protein degradation as well as promote protein synthesis.

No, no, no. You have it wrong.

It's 1lb of protein per 1g of complete body weight.

No wonder you're not making it.

What if I get enough protein about 4/7 days of the week? Am I still gonna make it?

Trying to get thicc, I'm at ~170lbs 5'11"

GLUCONEOGENESIS

The body converts excess protein->pyruvat-
>glucose,
and those extra carbs are turned into fat.
The amine groups are processed through the kidneys, putting excess strain on them

Attached: gluconeogenesis.png (871x653, 432K)

nice broscience.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/491874
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2439525/

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but I'm still going to call you a fucking idiot. Anymore comments?

no but if you're an innate fat-fuck then it will control your appetite a lot.

>implying im a fucking plant

Attached: 1484412677488.png (746x717, 102K)

You actually need more.

Lets say you have a intake of 3000 calories (surplus taken into account) a good bulking diet is a higher carb diet 30/20/50. So roughly 30% of your calories have to be protein which in this case is 223g of protein, 66g of fat and 372g of carbs.

Prove me wrong faggots.

kek

my professor added that slide to show where starch (energy store) is stored in plants, it wasn't part of the figure

Attached: digestion.png (844x1046, 607K)

Can't you supplement with BCAAs to make up for a lack of protein in your diet?

dont listen to this retarded broscientist

For retaining mass, sure. for building muscle, complete protien is always better.

this, and the egg thread, are good threads

Attached: 1519062849123.jpg (640x640, 70K)

you still need significantly more protein to support the sheer amount of muscle mass that you put on, retard. i'm not disagreeing with the fact that it limits degradation and promotes synthesis.

yeah i dont have the studies at hand either, but excess protein alongside a calisthenics routine results in a 47% increase of IQ