The boxing pill

About to pull the trigger and take up boxing

5'9, like 155 lbs. Never been in a fight. 28 years old.

Want to take up boxing to release steam, and also for self defense. Learning about myself and expanding my world view will come with it

jiu jitsu is more of a neat hobby, though I've been told muay thai is more suited with what I'm looking for.

Boxing is great for self defense though, so I chose that.

Do we have any fighters here? I'm gonna do a lot of weight training, exercise, and change up my diet before I begin.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-19-09-09-28.png (1080x1920, 1.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LbhFdjiPe6w
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUw7OXXGwg
youtube.com/watch?v=mZHDMhbcJvA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>5'9

Attached: 1477323390062.png (600x842, 101K)

You're not white.

>boxing
>not superior jujitsu

Enjoy your brain damage retard

And then when you get in a street fight you’ll get smoked as your Manlet ass gets taken to the ground.

>never been in a fight

the real lesson is how to take a punch, not throw one.

I don't have any advice for you but I hope you don't get hurt. Take care of yourself. And please try not to hurt anyone else. Learn your own body, how it works, and think of your opponent as both your lover, master, enemy, and an element unknown to you. And of course,disregard my advice if necessary.

Dont say "neat"

He looks pretty white to me

Everyone who I've spoken to told me bjj is useless in a fight

Enjoy your Parkinson's. I'll be here with my gun and my knife, not trying to act like some Naruto-autism ass looking motherfucker when I'm actually in danger.

Pretty much. Only if you are facing one guy. Good for cops, bad for street fighting.

It's gonna be exciting man. I'm not scared, rather itching to feel it

I've NEVER been humbled by a punch to the face man, it's crazy.

My dad beat the shit out of multiple guys, and at age 60 he still feels like he's ready to scrap.

Meanwhile I grew up with video games and Pokémon. I feel like I need to learn to box before I start a family.

Atleast you have a punchable face.

Wanna wrestle in bed?

>Never been in a fight. 28 years old.
Wow. Please be bait.

It's fun just prepare to get hurt.

What you actually want to do is hit the gym and take courses and get licensed to be a bouncer. Much more usefull in RL.

lol leaf you so cold bro

>boxing
>self-defense
>real fighting
w e w
e
w

you should box or do muay thai and do bjj together. Find a decent mma gym and that shouldn't be an issue. I started boxing when I was 14, but after wrestling in high school I've come to love grappling. Cant recommend it enough user.

its not useless, but like all ground and pound martial arts its not exactly comfy to practice them on asphalt or a cement floor

>And please try not to hurt anyone else

What's conflicting is, that's one of the reasons why I wanna take up boxing. I feel there's so many people who need to get the shit beaten out of them

I get so fucking pissed off when I read a lot of the stories posted on here or elsewhere, that I get riled up and feel like fighting.

Anyway I won't be looking for it, but I'm public if I'm pushed I'll wanna be more than ready, 100%

>"I felt like destroying something beautiful"

RIP OP I'm calling it now

Attached: 1507679937073.gif (250x289, 235K)

I joined the boxing club at my college. It's a fun sport and great exercise. Getting hit in the head isn't as much fun, but it is kinda an adrenaline rush.

Word of caution: when you're new in boxing older guys will offer to spar to help you but all they really want is to beat up on a newbie who doesn't know how to defend. Stick to only trainers who won't break your nose the first chance they get.

>this is what the effeminate soyboy trumpcucks pn /pol/ actually look like IRL

not surprised.

at the very least just don't hurt or go to hard with your sparring partners. Its a quick way to get your ass beat down in a gym. The good news is, at least for me, is that training is great for stress, anger, and all that small shit in your life.

LOL

Dude, that thinking is why Western Men are so pussified

If and when I have a son, I'll be proud if I hear that he beats the shit out some shithead in high school

We'remen you faggot. It releases dopamine and gives us a sense of satisfaction when we fight.

That stems from evolution

You're never gonna get in a real street fight.
Boxing is fun though just prepare to get punched in the face and liver.
Also your nose might go crooked.

Youre comparing two different things. Yeah some people deserve to get to their shit beat, but you'll be blowing of steam in a boxing ring totally different environment to where those kind of people who deserve to be beat are

Bjj gives you less head trauma and you get to spar at 100%

I'm 26 and have never fought. It's easy if you don't hang around trash.

>Boxing is great for self defense though, so I chose that.

Boxing is almost useless for self-defense, only works if your opponent is going be the same rules as you. Try MMA or grappling instead

It'll 100% help for defensive tactics in a fight

Yeah, most fights end up on the ground and boxing doesnt train you how to defend takedowns or take advantage of being taken down.

When someone hits you hard sparring and it wasn't an accident you start hitting hard back OP.

He’s a faggot for being against all martial arts, but you know getting punched in the head repeatedly causes brain trauma in the long term, right? I’m a software engineer. I can’t afford to lose brain cells, so I do grappling instead

Except for kicks takedowns and ground fighting, so yeah i guess it helps with like 20% of a fight.

>5'9
I'm almost a decade younger than you and I'm taller. SAD

Don't ever go to the ground in a fight with strangers.
Ever.
You're at the mercy of getting a head stomping.

>5'9, like 155 lbs. Never been in a fight. 28 years old.
Christ, I'm a 23 y/o fat homosexual and I've been in fights. Dude, don't take up boxing. You've gotta go to a bar, get shitfaced, find someone you can think of a reason to hate, and take it outside.

Obviously, the best defense is running away and that is the strategy i have always taken. Its been over a decade since ive come close to being in a fight tho.

>faggot jew jitsu Manlet detected

Soyboy the thread

Yeah, and OP can have all the fun of rolling his wrist on some guys dome before taking a nice hook to the button.

No. 99 of 100 times the mark will swing on the boxer who a) absorbs the punch and counters effectively b) the boxer who ducks the punch and then counters effectively. If the mark is QUITE lucky, he may get option c) boxer ducks punch and laugh at mark and walks away. Carry on.

Didn't say he'd win. Nobody wins their first fight.

>boxing
>effective self defense
Uhmmm son? You do know there are rules that forbid a lot of hits in box? Usually the kind that would be most effective in a real situation

Have you ever rolled? I doubt it. There is a reason bjj dominated in early mma and is still utilized at the highest levels in the sport : it works and is a nightmare to deal with if you are the less experienced grappler.

>the best defense is running away and that is the strategy i have always taken

Attached: FD6DAD90-B4D8-4D89-AAE5-017CB02C0FD1.png (1002x857, 813K)

>get into street fight
>pin one guy down with superior bjj skills
>get kicked in the face by one of his friends

Hi Joe Rogan!

Oh look, the manlet soon brainlet is an evolutionary biologist.

Work on cardio, any gym worth it's salt with chew you up and spit you out. You'll need stellar cardio to not feel like quiting the first week. Or a strong resolve. Additionally, get icy hot for sore calves. Focus on the techniques not the power of your punches at first.

U handsome as fuk nigga dont ruin ur face

Don’t spar ANYONE not even an 8 year old girl until you’ve trained for a long while. You’ll be approached by people who want to spar you, what they really want to do is whoop your ass. Don’t do it.

>jiu jitsu is more of a neat hobby, though I've been told muay thai is more suited with what I'm looking for.
Both are massively overrated. Boxing has its flaws, but is usually superior to MT and BJJ.

Remidner that BJJ is just known because of the fixed first UFCs and MT is only known because of Bas Rutten.

BJJ is okay for a one-on-one without weapons or mean streaks. Which rules out basically any street fight.

More than one guy? You're fucked.
Knife? You're fucked.
Some bad dude who's willing to rough and tumble? You're fucked.

Not to mention you'll break your knees on concrete if you do a takedown. See: Renzo Gracie, who did just that and was lucky he still got to grab the bouncer. His knee is shot now because of that.

So basically, you're reduced to body checks/tackles, stand up wrestling and stand up striking, ie. exactly what all human cultures did as martial arts before fighting became a sport.

Only in America.

Anyone who would want to spar someone that they know is inexperienced, just so they can hurt them, is retarded.

If your trainers are acting like this you should probably switch gyms.

If it happens at another gym then you are the one who is a cunt.

don't neglect grappling
do judo
judo will harden you more safely than boxing
I would do judo for 6 months or so and then add in boxing
gotta have that strong foundation of balance

It's almost like judo wasn't broken to begin with and the Gracies just couldn't practice Tachi-waza effectively once their mentor went back to Japan so they just did submission wrestling instead, claiming disingenuously that it was an improvement on the tried-and-true standup grappling system they borrowed gis and colored belts from.

Reminder to Veeky Forums that BJJ is for people who lack the athleticism or balls to succeed in judo.

It dominated in early MMA because they chose the fighters, they had an unfamiliar martial art, and they chose the rules so that it would help their martial art work better.

Also, LOL works on a less experienced grappler? Of course it does!
Any thing works on someone who's not experienced in fighting!
Tai Chi can work if you're well trained and physically tough.

>jujitsu
>Enjoy your brain damage retard

Enjoy your joint damage until you die at 40 from a stroke caused by fighting chokes. That aside, I fucking love rolling, but let's not pretend it's any safer than any other combat sport.

100% of fights start on your feet, but 99% will go to the ground. Boxing is fine for the first and terrible for the second. If you want to fight you need to supplement your boxing with something else. I recommend boxing/judo paired with BJJ/wrestling. If you are a lanklet then throw in some MT.

Welcome to the club, you will love it.

>100% of fights start on your feet, but 99% will go to the ground.

Yes.
You're right.
But boxers train to stay on their feet and put 100% of people on the ground.
And the boxers are under no obligation to pull punches when you are on the ground.

>bjj
>not superior Muay Thai
and you wonder why you'll never make it

Attached: 1414122477235.jpg (250x217, 8K)

Which is great IF you are fighting some random Joe on the street, but a surprising amount of people train. Hell there is something like 250,000 High school wrestlers in any given year. That means that every year we pump out 60,000 former wrestlers the majority of which will have more intensity and more pain tolerance than your average amateur boxer who are also more than capable of putting him on the ground. Past that I honestly think boxing is fucking retarded outside the ring because you can't punch the same way with no gloves on or you will break your fucking hand/wrist. You can definitely learn a lot from boxing, but it is by no means the be all end all of combat sports.

Just lol.

2 punches for a wrestler, 1 punch for a weightlifter.

>It dominated in early MMA because they chose the fighters, they had an unfamiliar martial art, and they chose the rules so that it would help their martial art work better.
True.

Am I in some parallel dimension? A good post on Veeky Forums that doesn't follow normie dogma?

Also, brain damage is a thing but if you think you get out of grappling without brutal injuries, you are dreaming.

>Tai Chi can work if you're well trained and physically tough.
I actually beat an "invincible" street fighter with Tai Chi (which I started after I was too injured from full contact fighting). Worked quite well.

The hobbies of that guy included arm wrestling and breaking people's orbital bones. Not kidding. He started wrestling after I threw him around like a rag doll and almost broke his hand (I was drunk, so I don't exactly remember what happened, just that is was toally super fun, for some reason).

So, yeah, tai Chi can work. Ofc, I dunno if the guy really was a high-level street fighter, he was a plumper in day-to-day live, super skinny and quite strong with a mean streak (the skinny type manual worker basically).

>plumper
I mean plumber I guess. He wasn't a big-titted chubster.

I dislocated both my shoulders while throwing punches in the air,good technique for a noob and i wasnt tired,sucks but i will try to continue doing it until i'm able to go to a proper gym,any advice?

>Do we have any fighters here?

This is Veeky Forums. People here are afraid of talking to girls and asking to work-in with someone at the gym. No one here is a fighter (save for the one or two vets on the board).

>Tai Chi
youtube.com/watch?v=LbhFdjiPe6w

You're better off swinging like a retard than pretending Tai Chi was made for fighting. Its for the elderly to exercise.

that's why you should take up the french martial art: parkour.

You do realize that most wrestlers are used to getting hit in the head right? A pure boxer can't and won't do fuck all once any halfway decent wrestler gets tangled with him, and wrestlers are the kings of distance management and finding angles.

I don't want to turn this into a dick measuring contest where we go back and forth with "no my sport is better" because I really do respect boxers and what they can do, but there is a reason why wrestlers are so dominant in MMA while boxers aren't nearly as represented, especially at the higher levels. Boxers have lots of power and speed, but a wrestler will always decide where the fight takes place, and no one is staying on their feet with a better striker than them. Again boxers are great fighters, but they are by no means the best fighter in every situation. Hell they aren't even the best fighters on their feet outside of a boxing ring.

It's not though...but you need more than just bjj. If you go to the ground and you have no skills, you're likely fucked. If it doesn't go to the ground and you have no skills, you're also fucked. There are a million possibilities.

People ITT really think double legging someone wrestling style must work on concrete the same way it works on mats.

In my opinion Sanda would be a good option, you get decent (not stellar when compared to top MT or boxing athletes) striking + takedown defense and offense (since the rules deduct points for touching knees on the floor you won't get used to slamming your knees on the ground).

Learn some knee and elbow strikes and do like 3 months of BJJ so you can sweep the average punk that may eventually take you down and defend choke attempts and such.

He's not ugly he'll be fine

JAKEPAUL

>You do realize that most wrestlers are used to getting hit in the head right?
The fuck...no.

And wrestling is dominant because most wrestlers started as children have better and more teachers and constant practice and training.
It's also just better then BJJ. And MMA is BUILT around wrestling with a little bit of strking thrown in.
Also the reason why boxers aren't in there is becaues there is more money and fame in boxing then MMA.

He looks white to me.

Basically all wrestling above 160 revolves around head clubbing to set up shots. Wrestlers are 100% used to getting hit in the head.

>Never been in a fight
>Need boxing for self defence

So you can strike a pose before you hans over your tendies to bullies user?

>muh bjj
>get in street fight
>take down guy
this is what i trained for
>get stabbed in the back
>think you only got hit bc adrenaline rush
>what's that wet stuff?
>blood all over the place
>get kicked in the head
>over and over again
>go into decerebrate respone
>b_but muh bjj

>dislocated both my shoulders while throwing punches in the air
>any advice?
buy a punching bag and hit that

you neither have good technique nor control of your punch if you dislocate your shoulder while shadow boxing.

How the fuck do you dislocate your shoulders shadowboxing? Were you just throwing haymakers and then limp arming at the end while momentum ripped your arms off?

I think boxing is decent for self defense against random solo idiots trying to fuck with you but nothing will save you if 3 guys try to beat you at once, only running away will help

Attached: fit Martial art Guide.png (1406x4000, 2.94M)

>coming out gay at 28
>Still being insecure about your height at 28
lol oh wait manlets are insecure for life.

Just fight to survive if you wanna self defend plus its gotta come from your heart if you wanna kill you will kill is wat im trynna say fuckin centurion this n spam your millions of possibilities of punches and kicks bro

>herp derp boxing is useless for street fight user u retard

I can tell you simps have never actually been in a street fight. 99% of them start the same way, one or two faggots talking shit to one another, getting in each other's faces, bumping chests until a sucker punch is thrown or some faggy hockey fight shirt grapple commences. Boxing is devastating against your average untrained street slob.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUw7OXXGwg

And of fucking course if the guy has a knife or gun its gonna be useless and you should run. I swear to Christ that it's not even shit posts on here anymore, it's genuinely limp dick profoundly retarded anons spouting profoundly retarded opinions.

Go hard at it OP. Boxing feela great and if you put in the work you'll look good too.

>100% of fights start on your feet, but 99% will go to the ground. Boxing is fine for the first and terrible for the second.

>be boxer
>be on the street, getting shit talked by some schlub in front of my number one gal
>says he's gonna fuck me up
>roll my eyes
>poor bastard has no idea what he's in for
>fight starts
>immediately connect with a hard hook
>schlub disappears from my view
>desperately scanning left and right, dodging anticipated blows
>nothing's happening
>suddenly huge pain in my ankles
>my lady screams "user LOOK AT YOUR FEET!!"
>as a boxer I can't look down though
>pain increases
>"HE'S GNAWING YOUR ANKLES LIKE A BEAVER user YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING!!"
>boxers can't fight a downed opponent though, not trained for it, too far out if reach for a cross, would look like a t-rex pathetically throwing jabs three feet too short
>know what I have to
>only thing I can do
>ball fist
>deliver hardest self upper I can
>vision pinholes, limbs go limp, I fall
>face to face with schlub on the ground now
>his mouth bloody, chunks of my flesh caught in his grinning teeth
>he scuttles toward me
>body numb from my self inflicted blow
>cant do anything
>know I'm going to die
>ten count to heaven
>suddenly blue blur engulfs schlub
>man in blue wrestlers leotard has him on his back, easily pinning his shoulders
>ref comes sliding in, slapping the pavement and shouting "PIN!!"
>crowd cheers, schlub rolling his eyes and groaning, wrestler standing proud and triumphant, my lady running over and desperately trying to snatch his leotard off
>everyone leaves for a victory party
>I'm still laying on the ground

Why did I waste my life learning the useless art of boxing, anons?

Attached: 8a5370f89350f9abd3eea72172029110.jpg (236x335, 7K)

youtube.com/watch?v=mZHDMhbcJvA

Most gyms have boxing bags, all you have to do is buy gloves and piss about

>Jiu Jitsu fags

Attached: volkovvswerdum.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

Why is boxing better than MT?

Kicks and half of their arsenal are a bad idea in a fight.

So they're stuck with punches, elbows, and quick knee kicks.
And their hand game is trash and beyond limited when compared to boxers.

BUT there is a problem.

>Shitty amateur fighter, former infantryman and SOF, current LEO

If you want to learn how to box, do boxing.

If you want to learn how to grapple find a BJJ, Judo, or Wrestling club.

If you want to do MMA, do MMA

If your primary concern is self-defense you should get a CCW, one of these, and a good, comfortable concealed holster.

Attached: 20035119.jpg (500x500, 41K)

If you want to do MMA, you should do MMA last and do another art first.

Jiu jitsu can't be beaten 1on1, but lot of people have some takedown defence nowadays. Even amateur boxers get brain damaged though unless you go to a mcgym. Just go to an mma gym that has both. You need ground game to strike confidently.

For your purposes bjj probably will suck, because I'm a bit bigger than you but most people that stick around bjj will be a lot bigger than you and it will be frustrating and you get a shitload of scrapes on your skin from the gi, annoying and reduces aesthetics. Getting punched is much better. Boxers have nicer bodies anyway