/run/

Where are my /run/ners at?

Post your distances and times or just talk about the oldest workout in the world.

Attached: file.png (491x400, 233K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Still healing from an injury.

>tfw go on trail long run
>feel muscle go apeshit
>go to sports PT
>shows me the muscle that's injured
>has me doing more crosstraining
>daily myofascial release and using massage stick
>no speed drills
>missing the 40+ miles/week
>only can do 3 miles 2x/week, with one long run of no more than 12 miles in Z1 or Z2
>getting bored of cycling, rowing, lifting, and swimming
FML.

Attached: tfw crying.jpg (535x577, 40K)

How long till you can put some stress on it again?

Just got over a knee injury and trying to get my speed back up. Currently shooting for a 25 minute 5K and I'll go from there.

Did a 2 mile weighted run for an army shooting comp on Friday.
15kg of gear (plate carrier, webbing, helmet) plus 5kg weapon.
Had to cross waist deep water a couple of times and it was mostly uphill. Awful but felt good after.
23 mins time and we won by 3 mins.

By stress you mean by speed drills? The PT has not said yet. I visit him once every two weeks and report on it, while he does his tests. So far, it's been eight weeks. I'm beginning to think my long distance running days are over. Might have start doing short triathlons instead of marathons.

Mon: 10 miles at 7:00 pace
Tues: 20 min tempo at slightly slower than 5K pace (on road so easier)
Wed: 12 miles easy
Thurs: varies but usually the most god tier workout ever

First set: 800 at 3K pace
Second set: 400 x2 at Mile pace
Third set: 400 at 800 pace, 2x200 hard
Friday: 7 miles easy
Sat: 10 miles at 7:00 pace
Sun rest

Ran a 5:30 in the 1500m last summer. Trying to go sub 5 minutes this year. More easy mileage base in the spring and then more track intervals in the summer

7 km avg 11 km/h not bad at all. Should I buy new running shoes. Mine are 5 years old now and I think my hip joint are hurting after a run, its a strange feeling

Ran a marathon last year in 5:19, which is fine with me because I just wanted to finish. My longest run before that was 10 miles so I was pretty incapable of moving afterwards for a few days. Starting to get back into running again, partly through a novice 10k program, slowly putting on distance again.

I’m fat so it’s more of a loud slow jog but I’m with you bros

Is it a bad idea to train 6 times a week for someone who just completed couch to 5K if I alternate between running and cycling so my legs don't take as much of a beating?

Depends on distance, time and intensity. Introduce the extra work slowly or you will risk injury.

6.19 km with a bit of elevation @ 4'18''/km this afternoon
My current objective is 4'0'' for 10 km

>started running 10ks frequently after being a fat fuck that couldnt do it
>goes well for a while
>gradually pain starts happening on my lower part of my right kneee
>happens first at the 5.5 mile mark
>then the 4.5, slowly happening earlier
>now it hits me at ~2 miles
>had to give up doing 10ks because this shit gets overwhelming
>went to doctor
>told me structurally/physically nothing is wrong, just that I was overdoing it
>took a break from running
>pain still kicks in at the ~2 mile mark

I dont know what to do

6,5 km in ~37 minutes is what I do nowadays. Used to weigh 10 kg less and run 9 km in 40 minutes, so there's some catching up, but at least all the snow and ice will be gone in a while.

Hit a 10k pr today - 44:00. Slowed it down and finished 10 miles in 74. Pretty happy with that. Except I had bad stomach cramps for the last 3 miles and I'm paying for it now. Anyone else deal with IBS-C symptoms. Ever since I increased my mileage to 30m/week I have no regularity. I'll think I'm constipated but then it comes out as loose stools/diarrhea. Pretty irratating because it's fucking with my runs. Diet hasn't changed at all either. Help anons

IBS-D rather, although I might be closer to IBS-A since I only shit like once every 3 days now

Friendly reminder, as a student in physical therapy, running over 15 miles a week will speed up deterioration of your joints.

Recommendations for shoes? I have the brooks gts but they hurt my shins more than the old nike lunarglides i had but I have low arches

>TFW 2.5K in 30 minutes

Jesus, recovering from a broken collarbone is harder than expected.

Attached: 1387483735119.gif (311x283, 542K)

Says who? Source?

3.2 miles at 35:14

how am i doing?

been running for the past 2 months but never went past 1.5 miles

Are you very fat? After 2 months I was at around 8:30 a mile.

210 lbs

My knee has been injured, but I did 3.01 miles in 21 minutes and 35 seconds in 20 degree weather.

>stopped running during the winter
>run 5k now that temperatures are nicer
>mfw struggle and only manage a 23min
>mfw 5k pr is 19min

I hate spring

Right now I do 5K's at about 38-40 minutes, I'm tall and heavy at 6'3 and 220 lbs. I've heard that you should add 10% of your weekly mileage every week so I'm planning on doing that.

how do i stop being a mouth breather when running?

tried nose in mouth out since its apparently better but it just isnt enough

>thread full of humblebragging
>little to no discussion about actual running at all

nice.

you don't if you want to run well, fool. you can do it once you're really fit but it's retarded not to do it until you can run like 18 or 19 mins in a 5k.

i ran 100 miles per week for over a year AMA

I decided not to go to the bathroom before my 10 mile run this morning. The last quarter mile before a bathroom was 4:40 pace.

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing

>went for a fasted run this morning

Attached: IMG_0011.png (719x1280, 665K)

Science says otherwise:

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.

dont what? mouth breath entirely?

That's what my professor said during lecture. Here's a shady article that cites Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercises but she doesn't have a proper work cited section and I couldn't find the article she mentioned, plus you can't view the author's credentials.
active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I'm gonna send my professor an email and call her out on it (in a professional matter). I'll attach all of the links you provided user. Thanks.

Attached: Screenshot_2017-12-09-13-07-15~2.png (720x405, 202K)

I've been trying incorporate running along with my lifting routine, but I'm finding it pretty difficult to balance squatting three times a week along with 2 5ks a week. Can others manage squatting and running, or do I need to tone one or the other down?

run in morning gym when back from school/work

no, you should mouth breathe entirely until you can run at like at least 8:00/mile very comfortably, with a heart rate of like 140.

damm thats a pretty hard timing for me to hit

>active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health
Oh boy, it cites the study known as the Copenhagen City Heart Study which anyone with a background with statistics can easily debunk.

Attached: copenhagen city heart study fig 5.jpg (785x1048, 185K)

Any sprinters in here? Or is this only for long runs

then what's the best once you reach that treshold ?

Mostly distance, but you'll occasional get sprinting advice if you ask. It would be nice if the OP started posting the old sticky, which had a link to this:

letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

Even for distance runners, sprinting once a week can be a good thing.

How many miles/km per week does one have to run to be considered a runner?

Attached: T707N_9099_0010291335_RT.jpg (515x256, 27K)

1 km for every day of the week

HELP

I got a massive blister on my foot and have to run a 5k tomorrow what do?

Attached: slight-panic-.jpg (626x717, 34K)

>letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

why is that?

why do you have to run a 5k

>running along a popular running spot with a somewhat narrow path, two abreast can fit
>a group of high school runners approach from the opposite direction two thick
>clearly we cant pass unless they go single file or I run off the path
>I dont want to run off the path so I make eye contact with them, but they're clearly not going to move and want to take up the whole path
>a bit angry from the run so I decide just to run straight and let us collide
>as we approach, I raise my fists to block my body. they bounce off, I'm forced to slow to a walk due to the collision
>as they run off hear them yell "you litterally stuck your elbows out"
>laugh and run a little faster because of anger

fucking kids

pop it. Put a peace of bees wax with a bandied over it.
Ran a half marathon like that.

calling all soccer players

>Catalog
madman

a-are you me?

Attached: 1519307746854.gif (300x225, 1.99M)

sounds like it could be shin splints? I may be wrong though

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

Attached: sanic pepe.png (870x870, 71K)

>6 months ago got in to a fist fight with a cyclist because the swore at me as he passed me. I sprinted caught up and punched him in his bitch face
>2 months ago a lady with a huge fucking dog starts walking him down a trial i run. Dog decides to chase me. She cant stop him. I scare him away. Talk to cops about it. They say shes at fault but since i didn't receive any injuries they wont do anything about it. but remember the incident. Bring a collapsible baton next time. Hit the dog when it starts changing me. Cops wont do anything about it since they warned the owner to keep it on a leash.
>Last month a fucking car cuts me off at the track. Kick its back door in. Owner gets out to fight me. Charges at me. Realizes he's a manlet and I'm not. Immediately gets back in his car and speeds off swearing.
One of these days I'm gonna get stabbed, shot or both while I'm out running.

Ask me how I know you pretended this is what happened

Ask me how I know you're a soyboi from /r9k/

Attached: 1520985812649.jpg (339x500, 18K)

how long was your break? should have eased off earlier desu. give it some r&r I know it fucking sucks but better than having a bad knee.

just ice it lmao

How can I get over knee tendonitis ASAP so I can get back to running asap?

Also any breathing tips? My body can handle distances with no issue, but my breathing sucks and always kills me

Bump

what is a good 1.5 mile timing?

Wtf. I had always learned it the other way for the pasr decade, but a google search (and my own experience) shows you're right. Guess I don't have to worry about my breathing technique for awhile

is fartlek the best way for beginning runners to train up their stamina and speed?

>breathing tips
Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Make sure your breathing is slow and controlled. That's how I was taught when I ran track.

>starts running thread with a shitty heel strike picture

if you are unfit / smoker / fat

dont do this

Brooks pure cadence like in

I had this come and go in my life.

If it comes on, the message is stop running you are doing damage, start walking. doc is right- its overuse of underdeveloped joints.

pic related is the machine you want to use to build muscle to staiblize the knee. I would do whatever weight to exhaustion in 8-12 reps 1x a day to start. Take this slowly. I could only do very low weights at first and got huge burn

For therapy type exercises calisthenics is good, plyometric workouts like jump rope, platforms, etc. Standing on one leg / balancing check-ins are under-rated

In terms of running, perfecting form helps a great deal. High knees, tilt forward, head erect, straight-forward.

Imho its a 4-8 week recovery and maintenance

Attached: 41lszVBkKdL._SY355_.jpg (316x355, 21K)

>How can I get over knee tendonitis ASAP

Don't re-injure it. RICE.

Gentle conditioning. Stretch your legs and move the joint throughout its range of motion frequently. Walk every single day.

Eventually move up to conditioning like I describe above.

I'm training for the special forces and I run a 1km sprint at best in 3:58 and a 5k with an average pace of 4:25 per km.
I calculated that they want for a 2.8km run a minimum time of about 4:17 per km. My goal is to get to the 4min/km mark and run 10-12km. There is also other exercises that I'm maxing out before and after running.
Any SF/crossfit guys have tips to improve fast?

Improve your running form. Land on the middle front of your foot. Look up stretching exercises for your shins that utilize a stretching band.

>as a kid ran for the school 15 years ago
>ran everywhere like a sonic retard
>want to start running again soon

any general tips about supplementation/shoes/how to start again? I had a knee contusion from biking but it's good now I think, and I've been eating collagen. BMI 17, very low muscle mass.

anyone taking arginine/citrulline for running, and are there some other good supplements?

Run everywhere you go. good training.

Same thing happened to me. Fix your running form, rice it, warm up more before runs.

Just had throat surgery and I can't weight train for a while. So far I've been using the treadmill and alternating between 30 mins jogging or 30 mins full incline walking and just gradually increasing the speed incrementally. It seemed like the closest thing to progressive overload to me. Is this a good way to program?

Thank you very much! It's gotten much better, but recovery stalled a while back. Was trying not to bend the knee outside of having to pick things up, so that's probably why. Gotta ask, what's RICE?

I do this but lose it eventually. Guess I'm not in the shape I thought I was. That can be fixed

Left knee is fucking destroyed lads. I'm hoping it's not surgery tier but every time I think it's healed I go for a jog and I'm limping 3 hours later. Is it over?

Attached: very agnry wojack.png (593x635, 210K)

I'm far removed from a doctor, but it could be that you aren't resting enough because of your (understandable) eagerness to get back at it. Alternatively, horrible shoes can pinch a nerve, particularly during strenuous activity. In either case, couldn't hurt to see someone in sports medicine

Fuck, I'm going to take two weeks off, look up some knee rehab exercises and then see but you might be right. I'll pony up the cash if necessary to see a specialized doc if it comes to that.

How worn out are your daily wear and running shoes?

What's a good time for a 5k? I used to be at 30 mins now at 25 mins

20 years old btw. Just want good health

I recently started running. I used to run on/off in high school. I recently started running every day that i can (3-5) days a week. Usually a mile a day. For some reason, my feet and ankles cant handle what I'm putting them through after working 10 hours a day in plant construction 60 hours a week.

Perhaps this doesn't belong in this thread, but what are some non-impact cardio machines/exercises to do in the gym or at home that don't destroy my shins/ ankles. thanks.

How can i start run intervals? Do you guys do it?
My endurance is not so good, i can run 5km in 28 min.

why wouldn't you just say 7km?

Cycling/Rowing/Elliptical

You could cross train with those three to build up aerobic base while doing some running on the side to acclimatise your muscles to the strain.

Run easy miles, don't get injured

Whether or not this is true the people on trails with dogs shit pisses me off. I was running the other day and there was a group of five dog walkers standing on the trail talking taking up the whole thing with their dogs and bodies. One of them look at me and saw me coming but couldn't be fucked moving half a metre to the side to let me pass, and instead made me go up around the path which was cut into a steep hill.

I wish I'd said something but I was too tired. People are such fucking assholes I can't even imagine being that much of a cunt.

Thanks for the response. So you're saying that I can do any cardio exercise with my legs and get nearly the same effect as running?I really like running, just because I've never been good at it.

It's more about building your lungs and heart than your legs as far as I know. Training your legs in some way, such as cycling which is much less high impact, is still going to build leg muscle. It's not going to be completely directly applicable to running though, which is why I say you should do some running. Point is it's easier to build up your aerobic base in something like cycling when you can go for longer and not get injured than running which is quite severe on your body.

Bump

Is 5'6.5 and 175lbs so bad for running? Honestly at 22, I have the best endurance I've ever felt. I don't get why I'm being so fucked up.
I am running with old shoes on land/rock, will that make a difference?

21:25 is minimum special forces time. So that would be what I consider "pretty good.

A marathon with only a 10 miles long run; you must have suffered a lot.

i PRd 10km yesterday (42:11)

should I go for another run today? should I chill? im kinda bored

Attached: 213.jpg (300x300, 16K)

Start with something small like 6x100m or 200m sprints. Walk back to start to recover. Build the 100m to 20x, or 200m to 15x. Once you do 15x200m, move onto 400m, start at 6x and progress to 15x. Once you can do tgat 800m up to 10x. After 100m, just walk 100m to 200m to recover.

Alternatively, you can do it based on time. One of my favorites is 10x(30s hard, 30s recover, 60s hard, 60s recover). You can change the times as you advance e.g. 10x(4m hard, 1m recover). Intervals, just like fartleks, you have endless variations.

Enjoy your no gains, dumbasses.

Just bought some Merrell Vapor Glove, am I doomed? I'm afraid it'll be a bit too harsh for a transition.

You can win a local one with a sub 16 I would say.