Ledger Nano S

Can someone explain in simple words why a ledger is safer than a normal wallet? And what would happen if my Ledger stops working, can you recover your coins somehow?

Other urls found in this thread:

emcu.it/SILICA-STDay-2016/X/Presentazioni/2_STM32&SecureElements.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Was just looking into buying one. Interested aswell.

to keep it short? The private key is inside the ledger, not even you know it.

DYOR faggot. There's tons of info on Reddit.

>Reddit.
GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW

Grrrr SPOONFEED US! What if we spill water on it! Or sit on it!

Enjoy losing all your internet monopoly money because of your severe autism

Recover it using 24 word sheet

Your private key is stored in the physical device and does not leave the device when you sign a transaction. You just insert it in the USB slot and the app on your computer will look for the key on your device. You don't have to type your key or any password. Can't be keylogged
That's the whole point of the story.
If you lose it or if it stops working you can recover your key with the seed sentence.

It's safer because everything is done on the ledger, you interact with it through the google chrome app but your keys are generated on the ledger. You can tell the ledger hasn't been tampered with because if it has, the google chrome app won't recognize it. It's safer because the chance of someone being able to hack it is astronomically slim. If your ledger stops working, you can recover the wallet with the 24 seed words

It's literally an overhyped USB. Only fucking LARPers buy and put it in their "hidden" metal box together with a couple fake passports, guns, gold coins and eye lenses so they can feel like 'muh anarchist Jason Bourne' and 'muh government won't get muh coin' wannabes.

How do you keep your private key secure user?

I don't.

I like it dangerous, unlike you pussies that are totally paranoid.

just got mine today

it's easy to use, doesn't cost that much and now i feel safe, i think just the feeling that i feel safe is worth it to buy it. the chainlink user from yesterday scared me, now i feel safe again

Keeping your entire .1 ETH on an exchange is not living dangerously, user

>You just insert it in the USB slot and the app on your computer will look for the key on your device.
Hey big shot, what happens when the app gets hacked.

This

When you were busy partying and having drunken unprotected sex I mastered the blockchain and learned asymmetrical cryptography and now things are falling apart you dare to come to me asking for help?

You prepare your transaction on the app, with your public address, the amount of you want to send and the recipient address. Then you connect the device in which your key is hard locked in a STM32 chip with Secure Element. Then you have to physically input your pin, then the chip will sign the transaction with your key and send the transaction (not the key) back to the app. Your key never left the device.
But what do I now, I'm probably a glow in the dark CIA nigger. Nothing Personnel kid.
emcu.it/SILICA-STDay-2016/X/Presentazioni/2_STM32&SecureElements.pdf

This is great because I've been hypnotized before, gave up my keys twice that way.

lmaoooooooooo

I don't understand why people don't pay the hypnotist to embed the key in your brain so you can't not remember it

You would have to tell your hypnotist the key, duh.

It was on sale for black friday on their website.

$70 with shipping to USA

>emcu.it/SILICA-STDay-2016/X/Presentazioni/2_STM32&SecureElements.pdf
Seems like page after page of moon runes, as if that is somehow supposed to mean anything to anyone.

You could replace those mountains of jibberish with a solution as simple as an air-gapped computer.

>air gapped computer
You could do that. That would cost you twice as much for a probably less secure result.
Go ask the cybersecurity general on /g/, they will tell you everything has backdoors and is a botnet so you would have to compile your own OS and design and produce your own hardware to be sure.

A nano S is basically an air gapped computer the size of an USB stick. It allows confort of use and security. Of course you can go full autist and trust nothing and enjoy being an edgy faggot with his hipster toys he made himself because he's so smart unlike the normies.

>you would have to compile your own OS and design and produce your own hardware to be sure.
Not if it is never connected to the internet.

>A nano S is basically an air gapped computer
Is it airgapped though?

security ur own ledger nano s if u want security

To confirm payment you have to push down two physical buttons on the nano at the same time. That's not something a hacker can do with a keylogger, phishing, or malware. If it stops working you can recover your keys with the recovery phrase you wrote down and stored somewhere safe.

I wanna buy one too but have one important question:
If I lose/break/whatever my ledger, do I need to buy a new one in order to recover with the recovery phrase or do other wallets support the 24 word recovery of the Ledger??

Do you read tech news sometimes? Some guys recently discovered an backdoor that gave them full access to JTAG, a low level chip debugging tool present in every Intel processor. It means your computer is not your own. It can be activated silently at night and activate network access, it can record every bit transiting in your machine and send them with you not noticing. Pretty much anything can be done at this level.
So your "airgapped" computer is probably already compromised or will likely be when you stick your first usb key in it.
Ni hao Jihan
IT'S NANO LEDGER S, NOT NANO S, STOP INSULTING ME I AM A BILLIONAIRE

someone pls respond I need to know

read their website.

wow thanks that worked

>he fell for the literacy jew