Newfriend's Questions Edition

In previous series:

Favorite rule?

Least favorite rule?

>Favorite rule?
Rule of 14
>Least favorite rule?
Rule of 16

Has anyone got the Divine Favour pdf they could share?

Dramatic deaths I guess. Worst is probably how Dodge easily fucks over ranged weapons without high RoF.

Already.

Man, putting talents in GCS is nuts, no wonder nobody bothered to insert all of them from power ups. Even in half-automated way it's still tedious.

I sort of want some kind of rule that makes cover more useful and dodge less useful. So the primary reaction to people shooting at you becomes to get behind something, as opposed to drop everything until unencumbered and do a line of coke.

Major Wounds. They keep combat dramatic and are pretty damn simple.

>I sort of want some kind of rule that makes cover more useful and dodge less useful.

There's a Douglas Cole article called "Dodge This" in one of the Pyramid issues which addresses this - you need to make vision rolls to spot people shooting at you, and you can only dodge against attacks from one specified enemy, etc.

Have you two considered using the 'Realistic' dodging rules?

Good points and decent options. Cover in GURPS still bugs me, but that might just be me.

Chalk Zeppelins.

Tactical shooting then?

What's the best one-handed gun at TL 8 or lower?

That thread where people are actually defending once per day abilities for martial characters makes me really glad not all systems are retarded immersion destroyers.

Can you imagine how stupid Martial Arts would be if you could only use the techniques of your style once a day?

That's one of the reasons I stick with GCA. Once you learn how to create and edit them data files are a breeze. I also find templates easier to do in GCA.

Unless it has some simplified interface for talents that allows to just dump all skill names instead of manually creating modifier for each, I doubt there is any difference. Also, I already finished.

Honestly, I cheat and copy stuff from the official data files anyway.

What's your definition of best? Ammo capacity? Damage? Concealability?

In a semiauto .40 cal hits a sweet spot in the rules and so is probably 'best' if all categories are given equal weight.

Haha!

I like how Broad-Minded is a Quirk: you actually get a point back for being accepting.

What actual difference in mechanical side of dividing pistols to three tables: Non-Repeating, Revolvers and Semiautomatic?
And how much problems it make on game, if i stake it all in one table?

Non-Repeating shoot once and need reloading, revolvers need to be reloaded bullet by bullet (unless you use a speedloader) and semiautos use magazines. Mostly makes differences in reload times and sustained rate of fire.

>Mostly makes differences in reload times and sustained rate of fire.
And all this is noted in RoF/Shots columns.
So there no big mess of merging all pistols in one "master" gunshoppe table?

Okay, assuming a GM is gracious enough to let you roll versus Perception to spot a foe that is behind you via a reflective surface (such as a truck's driver-side mirror), what Active Defenses/Active Defense options can you attempt versus their attack and how, if at all, will they be penalized?

You mean like in high-tech? It's a formatting decision to make finding the kind of gun you want easier even if you don't really know anything about pistols; if Little Jonny wants to play a cowboy, he checks the Revolvers table instead of looking for guns with Shots: 6(3i). Also because a table for all the pistols would be fuckhuge; they should have broken up the equally fuckhuge rifle table too.

-2 for awkward angle/lack of exact timing, same as runaround attack.

Can you "Retreat" forward in this situation?

I know that Martial Art allows you to do this with a "Slip", but that is when you are directly facing your opponent and are charging *into* their attack.

GURPS Martial Arts*, rather.

Moving away from the attack is a retreat, moving towards it is a slip; I'm 99% sure your personal direction (taking a step forward or backwards) is irrelevant.

>Also because a table for all the pistols would be fuckhuge; they should have broken up the equally fuckhuge rifle table too.
Exel doesnt care.

>being a GURPSter
>using Excel
>not using LaTeX

Pyramid #3/90 After the End is out.

RPK's "Are We Not Men?" is more mutant powers, plus a table to roll for randomly instead of picking them.
"Robots After the End" is Reign of Steel + AtE. Not much else to say here.
Pulver's "The Mercy Dolls" is an AtE setting; not much to say about this either as I can't really judge it until I've read it in full, but the tagline doesn't make it sound too interesting, despite the title.
"Warping Monsters Into Mutants" looks like a guide to reskinning DF threats to AtE ones. This looks like an unnecessary article; who needs a guide to refluffing?
"Survival After the End" from Rice looks decent, though, as it expands on the survival rules from AtE 2.

At first glance, only the first and last articles look worthwhile, and really only the last one. Maybe it'll turn out to be better than expected, though; I also thought Alternate Dungeons II was meh until I actually got a chance to crack it open.

Here you go. Haven't had a chance to really read it yet...

Thanks, user!

Thanks man, I've been digging on the ATE stuff.

You're a saint, user.

Are We Not Men: More mutations. Some pretty nasty - Cryogenic Kiss, exhale freezing breath for 2d(5), and if they breathe it in, they have to save vs temporary paralysis. Nerve Gas is a subtler one - harder to use well due to friendly fire and use limits, but extremely effective.

Freakish Pheromones is a pretty interesting ability. Cosmic Charisma, that causes their reaction to persist and resist lowering. NPC-recommended, but

Robots After the End: Pretty much pointless. Could have been one page - but works as a setting overview.

Mercy Dolls: Interesting-ish. Lots of mutants, and the plot is pretty centered around the remaining TL9 sapient medical androids (playable), and what they know. Calls Blue Moon, "Blood Moon" a couple of times. "Hundreds" of Mercy Dolls down to "a few" is probably a typo - unless they're talking local scale, that would make them basically irrelevant except to Plot.

Monsters to Mutants: Pointless. "Just buff them".

Survival At the End: So-so. Useful if you want to track or hunt food, but I can't help but think the AtE conversion is just slapped on. Overly detailed on the bits you don't care about, hints at really interesting stuff - using certain plants to decontaminate land - but doesn't expand on them.

Random Thought Table: Presents a campaign arc. Mostly cliched, but interesting choice at the end.

Overall... kinda meh. Saves some effort collecting info though.

> Calls Blue Moon, "Blood Moon" a couple of times.

'Blood Moon' is what it's called when it activates from a dormant state in an infected child. Kind of like the difference between Chickenpox and Shingles.

>To use Gardening (or Farming) in an After the End campaigns,
adopt the following simplified rules: Properly tended
garden (mostly staples and some vegetables) provide 10 meals/
week on a successful roll, modified by the Meals/Hour ratio
under Faster Gathering (The New World, p. 30). This requires
at least 2 hours/meal (1 hour on a critical success!) spent pulling
weeds, fertilizing, irrigating, and other agricultural activities.
A failed roll still produces some food (2 meals worth),
while a critical failure results in no food and wasted time. This
is for small gardens (approximately 600 square feet); multiply
the yield (and required man-hours) for larger areas.

So to feed yourself with SL 12 in Farming you'd need 3 beds. On average you fail 1/4th the time and generate a slight surplus, part of that you have to keep on hand for weeks when more then 2 beds fail at once in a week and you aren't making enough food to keep yourself fed.

You also need to put in 60 hours a week, or about 8 hours and 40 mints a day, with no days off. On an average week you produce 24.2 meals and require 21.

So on the value of 3.2 surplus meals per week you are supposed to buy everything you need, tools, supplies, security, shelter, ect.

For the SL 12 farmer adding a 4th bed is optional. It means 11 and 1/2 hour days, every day, but means they are producing 32 meals on an average week. Working with a spouse they might even be able to keep one child fed until the kid is old enough to work.

TL 8 agriculture methods produce enough food with one farmer to feed 155 people. They are assuming TL 0 subsistence farming with no tools or agricultural animals.

Going to try running some GURPS when I get back on campus for the fall semester. How bad of an idea would it be to limit the party with regard to their adventuring skills in a world that has not concept of "adventurers" like in D&D? It just doesn't really make sense for them to have much of an adventuring skill-set. In a sense, they will be the first adventurers.

Depends on:
1) if you think a real slow startup as the players develop basic competency is fun. I mean, if you are playing by the Basic Set optional learning rules, it'll take 200 hours of adventuring to accumulate 1 point in a completely alien skill.
2) If your players think that sounds fun and wouldn't get frustrated with "Roll traps at default, Roll physiology at default, roll hazardous materials (magic) at default" for the first few sessions.

To me, it sounds like it would start off as a chore, but be kind of a rush the moment you become the world's only expert on... Hidden Lore(Goblin Conspiracy)

>To me, it sounds like it would start off as a chore, but be kind of a rush the moment you become the world's only expert on... Hidden Lore(Goblin Conspiracy)
That's the idea. I also think it might help them adjust to a new system by limiting them a bit in the beginning, and allowing possibilities open up as they familiarize themselves with the system.

Now I want this thing. How much penalty should be applied for aiming from unusual position?

I want to say -4 and +1 Recoil to reflect the position. Maybe -3 for more sophisticated rigs to shoot around covers and above cover and -6 and can't aim for 'fuck it, just use a mirror' options.

Well, it's used with collimator sights (not sure if that's correct term in english) so you don't need perfect alignment like with iron sights or simple optics.

pg 10 spell of life roll

It makes me sad when such cool building become forgotten. Why nobody bought it? I mean unless it's in some shithole without normal sewerage and electricity around.

To be honest, I think buildings like this look much cooler after they've been forgotten and abandoned for a while.

It's in a good area but it's also a coal mine, so to turn it into, say, houses you'd need to clean up mine tailings and do a bunch of other stuff to legally occupy it. That said.. After the end, anything goes.

Given how these buildings are often still around because they are durable and too expensive to tear down, they make good ideas for after the end shelters.

That's the right word and a good point. The unlimited relief of collimator sight with little parallax means you can see the sight picture without careful alignment.

>Favorite
Edge Protection and Blunt Trauma from Low-Tech.

>Least favorite
Rather an engine feature than a rule; 1 second combat turns with no serious consequences for attacking every turn (unless you use some clunky hack like Last Gasp).

>Rather an engine feature than a rule; 1 second combat turns with no serious consequences for attacking every turn

What, you don't like a longbowman being able to shoot 120 arrows a minute?

Have them lose FP after the fight.
And then have fresh enemies wander in.

>120 arrows a minute
wat

That's with techniques and one or two cinematic advantages, of course.

The best you're going to do with a small investment (Bow and Fast Draw (Arrow) both at DX just costs [3]) is one every other round, for 30 rpm.

I'm interested in picking up GURPs for a new game I'm going to be running in a few weeks. I can't decide which edition I should use and I need help! I want one with plenty of sourcebooks to pull from, and I don't have an issue with crunch or a more complicated rule set. I have the time to read the books. Any suggestions?

If axe can be throwable, pick can be throwable too, right?

> That's with techniques and one or two cinematic advantages, of course.
In a cinematic game, yes, I am 10% okay with a heavily invested archer launching 120 arrows per minute.

> The best you're going to do with a small investment (Bow and Fast Draw (Arrow) both at DX just costs [3]) is one every other round, for 30 rpm.
And this, again, is fine... even in a realistic game. Since you're not aiming, you're missing a lot of those shots... aiming drops you to 1 shot every 3 seconds, or 20 shots per minute. Not to mention the fact that, if you've spent only those 3 points, you've got a 50% chance of dropping each arrow you draw (the effect of a failed fast-draw check), which adds at least one second to either draw the arrow normally that turn, or wait until next turn to try to fast draw again... meaning half your shots take an extra second to get off, for a rate of 2 shots every 7 seconds, or about 17 shots per minute (that's assuming that you draw the arrow normally after a failed fast-draw check instead of trying another fast draw, which will have another 50% chance of adding another second to the shot).

So in the end, you either invest a huge number of points into being a highly trained bowman that can fire 30 arrows per minute with acceptable accuracy (not amazingly realistic, but given the points required, at least palatable), invest a moderate number of points to fire 20 arrows per minute with acceptable accuracy while aiming, or you spend a few points to fumble along at 17 shots per minute while dropping half your arrows and looking like a dumbass.

4th edition is basically better in every way and from what I understand 3rd edition sourcebooks are not hard to convert to 4th edition mechanics where necessary.

> ...or you spend a few points to fumble along at 17 shots per minute while dropping half your arrows and looking like a dumbass.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the part where you're still missing most of your shots - even while aiming - unless they're against someone right in your face.

Personally I extend the dodge rules it with a custom rule by saying that if your character is within 1 step of cover, he can step into cover to gain a bonus just like how Dodge and Drop works. The size of the bonus depends on how much it cover after the step (note that you can also use this step to change posture, and the cover amount is determined after the posture change). The bonus is +1 for at least 1/3 cover, +2 for at least 2/3 cover, and +3 for full cover). If the shot misses by equal to or less than this bonus, then treat it as if it hit the cover (checking for the cover's DR, penetration, etc.). You can also combine this rule with an Acrobatic Dodge for an extra +2.

The idea being that cover becomes more useful, as does tactically maneuvering while close to cover so that you can pop behind it when you need to. I haven't done extensive playtesting with it, but it's been working out so far. You can also easily play around with the size of the bonuses.

I'd go with 4th. Also, check out the pdf called How to be a GURPS GM, very handy.

>11 points on signature gear
Okay, maybe fabulous etching on the blade was a bit over the top.
Also, how price is calculated if I have CF modifier and plain +x$ cost increase from different things?

>+x$ cost
I mean like just +50$, not multiplier.

Humm..

As a patch to this problem (that isn't a huge problem, fights rarely go on that long)..

Everyone has Breath equal to full FP. Attacking with a muscle powered weapon, moving at full rate or using dodge uses up 1 breath. Every turn you don't perform an action that cost FP or Breath, you regain Breath / 10. If you Do Nothing, you instead regain Breath / 5. Double those if you have Fit or Very Fit, and double your base Breath pool if you have Very Fit.

At 1/2 Breath, take -1 to all actions. 0 Breath you instead lose FP.

Result: You can sprint or fight flat out in combat for a short time, then need to rest. You can catch your breath slowly by going on full defense (as long as you don't dodge) or faster if you can safely lower your guard and do nothing for a couple seconds.

A person in good shape can fight flat out for 5 seconds with no penalty, then at -1 for 5 more seconds. If they can't or won't stop at that point they have 5 more seconds of burning FP before they hit the wall.

IRL, you can sprint flat out (or shoot off a hard combo on a boxing mat) for about 6-8 seconds at a time. This makes 15 seconds at maximum intensity a bit generous, though the rule still falls into the case of harsh realism.

That said, Very Fit makes it not matter that much, as it gives you a Breath pool twice the size (less clunky then losing it at half the normal rate) and doubles the rate you recover.

In general you add flat modifiers to cost after the CF.

So, user posted Pyramid 3-90 here, but... Pyramid 3-89 isn't on the Archive. Anyone have it?

What are you talking about? It should give straight-up bonuses!

I, for once, ask for #85, since it was removed. Not sure if I will even use it, but want for full collection.

Thanks, user. And, in return, here is 3-95. Which, if I may say, it's one of my favourites.

mega (dot) nz/#!D5d2EJjI!HIRkONGDbMpaztdv_ROJH5Sw5A-msIozccuDTjwircA

Thank you, misspelled user.

I have a question about insanely over-the-top gunplay in GURPS.

Is it possible to combine "Spraying Fire" with the Skip Shot Perk/maneuver described in the Gun Fu supplement?

This combination of options could allow a highly skilled shootist to strafe a line with automatic weapon fire and bounce the bullets over to an area they cannot target in a straight line.

If Gun-Fu, yes. If anything else, hell no.

It's Gun-Fu: OF COURSE!!

Bump with shitty jokes.

Post magic!

And I just realized I fucked up second line. Whatever.

I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, m80.

Sort of, but I'd expect it to function more like a thrown hammer or mace (i.e. best lobbed with the head leading rather than spun end-over-end).

Actually getting the spike to stick into a target seems like it would be significantly harder; throwing axes have broad blades which can cut from a wide range of angles while a pick needs to hit at a fairly precise one to stick in. On the other hand, throwing knives seem like they would have the same issue and they exist so it can't be that much of a problem.

I'm inclined to say yes, but with Acc 0.

Yeah, I forgot axes work a bit different.
Knives use thrust damage, though, since they don't really benefit from spinning. I believe properly thrown knife is not even supposed to spin.

>random mutation generator

I'm going to repurpose this as a space opera animal generator but it's pretty cool.

Quick question, can the British Bulldog Number 2 variant fire SAPLE rounds too, or only the Webley RIC Number 1?

(High-Tech Page 94-95)

If it fires .442 RIC I don't see why not.

Bump

We are using GCS for the Character Sheets

Is it a good idea to leave the equipment space blank and keep track of items with pencil and paper?

No? I mean unless you are willing to ignore encumbrance or calculate it manually.

Why more people don't use GCA? It's MILES better

I'd love to have some kind of way to have GCS character sheets synced up somehow. So as a GM I can add and remove stuff so players can see it, look at things without players seeing, and so on.

Basically I want GCS roll20 integration or something.

It sounds like you're basically re-inventing The Last Gasp.

A simpler alternative is to just subtract 1 FP after a battle if you think the character over-exerted themselves, or 2 FP if they really went nuts.

I remember seeing an unarmed combat technique that acts like a RoF 50 ranged attack (i.e. the number of hits is the attacker's margin of success-defender's margin of success), but I can't remember where it was. I think it was an issue of Pyramid. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's a power up for Dungeon Fantasy Martial Artists. If it's not in any of the main series books, check the Way of the Warrior issue of Pyramid; IIRC, it has an article dedicated to power ups for Knights, barbarians, swashbucklers, etc.

Because it's shittier, clunkier, slower.
Its only advantage over GCS is the extensive library, and libraries are slowly released and added to GCS nowadays anyway, it won't be long until GCS is plain better for everything.

GCS UI is ridiculously clunky, unintuitive and shittier. I can do a sheet in GCA 20x faster than in GCS

>opinions

Come on GURPSfriends, we're pluralistic here. Use whatever programs/aids/optional rules that makes you happy.

I think you might just be a bit.. slow. I figured out GCS's UI on my own in about five minutes.

I think he'd just have been one of those people complaining computers now have mice when the keyboard alone already works so well.

I'm complaining about the fact that everything written in the sheet is so small and I can't zoom in. I don't like how this program makes the work are into a print preview. It's clunky and annoying as shit to work with. That's why I prefer GCA. The UI has a helluva lot more options and I can customize it to however I like it. I specially like how everything is set up in tabs.

Meant work area*

>Why more people don't use GCA
Dont you have to pay for that shit?

>pay

>How to be a GURPS GM
Where can I find it?