MTG Standard General - /stg/

The Gitgud Frog Edition

Why is red now an F-tier color? How much have you spent adapting to the new meta? Do you think allies in BFZ and OGW were a good idea or an attempt at forcing decks? Find out on this edition of the standard general!

Mono-Black Zombie Tribal: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-zone-1/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gb-midrangedelirium/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rg-standard-werewolveswolves/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-esper-demonic-pact/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["Standard"]&subtype= ["Zombie"]
youtube.com/watch?v=g52c5agycW4
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-03-16-ally-aristocrats/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-03-16-temur-ramp/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manliest-ramp-deck-ever/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nu-std-bru-r/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm running R/W allies with equipment, and G/W clues/ Westvale shenanigans. The only problem is splitting my good white cards between the two (i.e. which one gets the three copies of Always Watching I have)

I got a random question, can't find the answer anywhere basically what I want to know is can a card that says "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." add colorless/waste mana? Or does it have to be one of the established 5?

It cannot, because Waste is specifically colorless.

ttp://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nahiris-delirious-madness/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gb-midrangedelirium/

Gitrekt Monster, you say? (Halp me please)

What, no Jund deck?

I've been brewing with Jund midrange, but I have issues trying to cram so much goodstuff into so few slots.

>Sold a Sin prodder, Tireless Tracker, and a junk rare for 6 bucks at my FLGS
>Bought two packs
>First pack has an Avacyn
>Sold it on the spot for 28 bucks
>spent it on 9 packs and 2 card boxes
>Pulled a Sorin, a TITI, and enough vampires to complete my Standard Rakdos deck
>Going back to cash in on my Sorin as well as test out my deck
Feels good man
If next set's Liliana is as good as the Veil Lili, I'm gonna save my birthday money for a booster box, consequences be damned

git gud frogger

Anyone got some interesting or unorthodox brews they want to be good even though you know it will never compete against the meta?

Still wrecking face with my R/G werewolves. Mono white humans have nothing on me

Yeah, ->

"Not a car" isnt a type of car, user

Rood

Currently brewing Izzet Harness
No idea what the fuck I'm doing but I'm going to somehow make a burn deck with Harness The Storm
It can wreck in a modern burn deck since it's basically Storm's little crippled brother

I also have the misfortune of having a 3 harness the storm, do you have a list?

no, not yet
So far the plan is 3-4 Memes in the Ice, that 3/4 flip enchantment, an Insectile Aberration or two, Harness the Storm, and as many low cmc burns as I can afford
Maybe a tombstone golem to keep the storm harnessed, but that's a sideboard card tbqh family

List for anyone who cares

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rg-standard-werewolveswolves/

LADS LADS LADS LISTEN

black red flyers

whaddya think?

You mean B/R Midrange where all your creatures happen to fly? Sure, seems fine. Play Goblin Dark Dwellers though, that way you can loop K- Commands

So are you just actually retarded or are you seriously not running the best werewolf card in the format?

I skipped it last night in the draft for breakneck rider.
fite me bitch

I'm having some joy playing heavy red werewolves/black removal.

Give me a reason to use it when the highest cmc creature is 4 in my deck. Also I can just sideboard if I wanted to duskwatch badly

Alright lads I got a story for ya.

>Playing at local shop
>New guy shows up with a girlfriend, both sit down and get to playing
>Girl is borrowing decks n stuff from guy, I'm up against her first
>She picks mono-g elves against Angel BR
>Terrible opening hand (Literally all land) but keep it to see what might happen.
>She starts rolling out elves, but isn't attacking
>Literally made all of her elves 3/3s, but keeps only attacking with one while giggling
>Draw new Chandra, not enough mana to play her
>Suddenly draw new Nahiri, play her since no other options
>She ignores her, keeps swinging with her one elf to try rubbing it in
>Nahiri hits 8
>Nahiri into Sol Ring (Lol) into Chandra into -4
>Play Elspeth turn after
>Draw pic related a few turns later
>GG

I think I made her mad.

I think you meant this for the EDH general, but still nice story regardless

>BR
Shit, was thinking about Boros. WR

> get a fat pack today
>sorin and the get good frog and enough other shit the pack almost paid for itself
Really looking forward to eldritch moon, pretty much getting a fat pack of each new set just for the decent boxes.

>do you think allies were a good idea

No.

There's a reason that Allies have only appeared in four sets. In Zendikar block, they were shitty Slivers. You could figure this out by comparing Harabaz Druid (a rare) to Gemhide Sliver (a common better than the aforementioned rare).

In Battle For Zendikar block, the Allies all seemed weird to me. Most of them don't actually mention being Allies, and none of the eight Ally rares that actually mention Allies read very well.

>tfw your kitchen table games are getting competitive enough that people are talking about buying singles to get four ofs and people actually want to start going to fnms
I don't know the power level of my local store but I can see some dreams getting crushed in the future.

Drafting should be fun though.

>Why is red now an F-tier color?
The fuck does that mean?
>How much have you spent adapting to the new meta
Not much, my LGS is mostly casual jankbrews. No tryhard faggots
>Do you think allies were a good idea
They were released at the wrong time, the only allies that came out looking good were the WR

You don't play it for the discount. You play it for 2g draw a creature flip wolves

I would rather use oath of nissa, wasting 3 mana to potentially get a creature doesn't fit my meta

git gud frogger

I've been lurking these threads for a while, I dont really have anyone interested in ever playing casual with me, and so I only ever go to friday draft nights at my local store.

I dont have any strong urge to play constructed, and I haven't really come across anyone at my local store playing anything but legacy or basically just whatever goes, so I only ever play in drafts, and put the deck in a box at the end of the night and never use them again.

to get anything decently competitive to play in a constructed format, I'm gunna have to drop at least a hundy right?
why?
is drafting not a more even format for playing?
gib advice pls, some of you apparently spend shitloads on physical cards, should I stick to my $20 drafts a week and leave it at that?

You can make a fairly competitive deck for less than $50. Especially now with the fetchlands rotated, it depends on the meta of your store if it would be worth playing more seriously

You could try to sell some of the rares you've gotten in draft that are worth some money and use that to build your constructed deck.

Stupid question - do creatures with a subtype of zombie x (such as zombie horror) count as zombies for tribal synergies?

I'm trying to find a list of all zombies in standard but none include cards like forgotten creation. Anyway, are there any acceptable 2-drop zombies besides relentless dead or should I just fill space with Asylum Visitors?

>it depends on the meta of your store
Yeah that's what i'm not so sure of.
we're in a smallish city in New Zealand, so the most people I have ever seen in there is only 30-40.
the first time I saw people playing there they had like 300 card decks and 50 life points, and most of the games I've seen outside the drafts seem to be similar weird games that I don't understand.

yeah that's probably what I'm gunna do at some point, I just try to be wary of ending up like the stories I hear of people spending thousands on decks, which I can see myself doing given the chance.
fuck, mind you, 20 a week adds up pretty fast over a year or two now I think about it.

>Standard states tomorrow
>Can't find all my Hallowed Moonlights

Kill me

>Stupid question
yeeeeeah dawg

so 'hound of the farbogs', and 'crow of dark tidings' are good to go for example

you'd be a good person to ask then
do you like voracious null? I can't make my mind up on it.

did you check your pockets?

Who is the best seller to use on TCG in australia? I find channel fireballs postage to be way too slow

No, I don't like it since the timing is limited, inferior to Nantuko Husk and other 3 drops.

Husk is only to end of turn though
Null is the same thing, but with a 2 mana cost for 2*1/1 counters

But yeah, the extra mana cost on turn 4 means you can only play either some kind of 2 drop spell or bear, although it becomes a turn 4 4/4 and turn 5 6/6 assuming you have a creature to sac.

I want it to be good, but it's a bit too dependant on other cards to be able to ramp up to live more than a few turns.

How did peoples FNM's go?

I went 3-0-1 and ID'd with the only other 3-0 but we still played a few fun games

I'm loving UR Goggle Control. Extremely fun to navigate games with it

went 0-2 in the first and both sets were like 4 minutes against mono humans.
went 2-0 in the second game against some poor girl who drew nothing but lands
last guy defaulted and I just brought a booster and played a new kid there for the rare out of it.
dont wanna talk about who won.

>Mana Curve 2.5
>Have Relatively Reliable Clue Draw Power
>Green/White with a splash of Black
>A Creature That Produces Mana x3

How many lands should I be running? Can I get away with 20?

How do you git gud at magic? Just went 3-2 with a expensive deck. Feels bad man.

Depends on what your clue generator is but yes. 20 lands with a 3 mana curve is fine.

Since the format has so much exile based removal its best to use husk over null since null can only do so at sorcery speeds. Making the card null. Zombies have a lot of powerful cards. I'm just waiting for someone to crack open the box and let it out.

3x Confront the Unknown
4x Tireless Tracker
4x Thraben Inspector

been running 3-1 or 2-2 with b/g midrange gitgud frog is good

Why no stormchaser mages and titans strength it flips your tities and smashes face

Idk, I feel like that card takes too much investment to actually be worth it at that cost (if it was a 2 drop itd be nice,id run 3) vs husk/fleshbag marauder/graveblade marauder, something im pretty much always gonna get value out of. Getting to block straightaway with Nantuko Husk and buff it as an instant effect - thats gonna happen way more than you're going to end up getting enough counters on this thing (and wasting mana to do so)

2-2 with G/B Token rites. First time playing since like September. I like the deck but it's got some things wrong with it I'm not sure how to fix

yeah this is true, I didn't really consider the speeds, chur

I'd look for a consistent way to ramp for a devastating cast of From Under The Floorboards.

My favorite deck to play in OGW standard was Esper demonic pact, but I very much depended on fetches and Dig Through Time to find my pacts. Is there any good way to play this deck in today's standard?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-01-16-esper-demonic-pact/

use advanced search on the gatherer page.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format= ["Standard"]&subtype= ["Zombie"]

Good enough for the pro tour apparently.
youtube.com/watch?v=g52c5agycW4

>demonic tentacles
....nice

>Nath of the Gilt-leaf
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target opponent discard a card at random.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may put a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.

How DOES randomly discarding like that work in the physical game?
shuffle hand and draw the top? present to opponent and let them pick one from the back? I can't find any clear answers.

didn't mean to reply sorry

every fucken day I do this...

were you correctly guessing what plays your opponent is making, and then responding appropriately with your hand and deck? If yes you need a better deck.
If no you need to play more and watch some pro play. Learn how the meta works and how to properly interact with cards so if the rare opportunity comes up you can maximize your decks abilities.

...they're full

Working on a budget build for game day.
Basic idea is a rally deck that abuses Healer triggers, but can sideboard into a grindier midrange build.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-03-16-ally-aristocrats/
Any suggestions?

Bloodbond Vampire
Drana's Emissary
Cliffhaven Vampire
Kalastria Healer
Lantern Scout
Kor Bladewhirl

dunno how this is on the budget. i dont follow prices.
you absolutely want Kalastria Healer and Drana's Emissary.
there's a rare 6drop 5/5 flyer or thereabouts in SOI I can't remember the name of, it's cheap though, and whenever you gain life, opponent loses that much life. that would be a good include too.

>tfw gabby will never crush your head in her thighs

git gud frogger

Defiant Bloodlord

THATS the sucker.

yeah, basically that deck, with some white removal auras, and black straight removal has been all the rage at my LGS
I fucking hate it.

>Season's Past jumping from $2 to $9

What is it being used in?

Season's Past and Dark Petition are used in a BG Control list currently played at the Pro Tour.

Quick google search shows Jon Finkel is running B/G control for PT with Season's Past

Can someone explain to me why is Liliana, Heretical Healer rising up in price so unexpectedly i have seen her in like 0 decks anywhere yet she keeps popping up in the daily price change going up and up and up.

Black-Green Aristocrats

>any colour
>colourless
You did go to school, right user?

5-1 with w/b vampire ally aristocrats. It's easy to beat company and humans when you never have to attack them, and can just drain them to death

Can I get a second opinion tg?

So Arlinn was a meme after all...

>Someone on this board bought Arliin Kord for $40 bucks hoping it would warp Standard.

post a deck list already faggot

Well since you asked so nicely *winky face*

(I only care about Innistrad)

Creatures

4x Thraben Inspector
4x Thalia's Lieutenant
4x Tireless Tracker
3x Odric, Lunarch Marshall
3x Deathcap Cultivator
2x Indulgent Aristocrat
2x Sigarda Herons Grace

Non Creatures

3x Hope Against Hope
3x Gryff's Boon
3x Dead Weight
3x Confront The Unknown
3x Anguished Unmaking
2x Geist Cloak
1x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Land

4x Fortified Village
4x Swamp
4x Forest
8x Plains

Say what you will about LSV but at least he doesn't do that annoying fucking card flicking

Sup Veeky Forums

Noob player here with a basic question.

If I kill my opponents creature that had skin invasion on it for a few turns with a sorcery on my turn, I get it back as a 3/4 creature. Does that creature then have summoning sickness?

Sideboard

1x Sigarda, Herons Grace
1x Dead Weight
1x Confront The Unknown
1x Sorin, Grim Nemesis
3x Eerie Interlud
3x Nahiri Machinations
1x Forest
1x Plains

Maybe fill the rest with Always Watching? Hadnt decided.

I'm not great at determining what should go in a sideboard

Yes because it left then reentered the battlefield.

Thank you!

no I didn't. actually I haven't bought anything due to scg's jew prices.

Felt really good that my shitty homebrew went 3-1 at FNM last night

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-03-16-temur-ramp/

>i skipped a bear in draft

Ok, buckle up, cus we're gonna ramp harder than anyone has ever ramped before.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/manliest-ramp-deck-ever/

Same user
>Go to local Rite aid and pick up 2 packs for shits & giggles
>Pull another Avacyn
My smug has reached critical levels

I went 4-1 with my own goggles brew, only lost to Bant company. I've been thinking about dropping my green and getting on the UR control boat though for that Anguished unmaking playmat next week.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nu-std-bru-r/

>Finkel in PT top 8 again
>with a meme deck

>mfw i got 2 arlins in one booster pack

Bump?

how does mono white humans deal with languish
I always end up getting them low then i get hit with a languish and after that i just cant pick up any momentum

>tfw bought 2 arlinn for $20
Even if she drops I still paid jack shit for them