Airship thread

Post all your fine airship art here.

Also how do you like them in general? Do you have them in your campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ynbUHMxYAyI
youtube.com/watch?v=211LNk5vnJM
youtube.com/watch?v=kbg0ycJGAa0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also do you prefer old steamy ones

or futuristic?

Posting based Highwind

>Not posting goldfish

i wonder why zepplin shock troopers were never a thing

Ugh, those 2 in 1 pic. Absolutely disgusting

weight

german zepplins were carrying 2-4k lb payloads in ww1, and that's probably on the short side.

Was about to run a pulp adventure setting so this is good timing. Thank you for this thread!

Quit fuckin' around! More ships!

I prefer colorful futuristic airships with lots of magitech elements.

Because zeppelins are slow, enemy would shoot them down long before they got anywhere important. Oh, and shooting it down would be as simple as having a recon biplane fly over it and drop a flare or three.

>Because zeppelins are slow, enemy would shoot them down long before they got anywhere important. Oh, and shooting it down would be as simple as having a recon biplane fly over it and drop a flare or three.

you literally know nothing about zepplins.

first of all, zepplins go pretty damn fast in comparison to ww1 airplanes, fast enough that the germans couldn't bomb accurately and air defense batteries couldn't accurately hit them.

secondly, shooting down a zepplin with an airplane requires that the plane first ascends to a similar parallel altitude, which took hours in the zepplin raids on london, and tested the endurance of pilots. planes also had to use incendiary ammunition, as a simple full-calibur round wouldn't be enough to ignite the hydrogen fuel. this is assuming the rounds make it through the armored jacked in the first place.

He knows less that nothing

I'm liking the cabins

Eberron got it perfectly right

There's not a whole lot in here. I almost expected it to be like a submarine.

>like a submarine

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

I love airship threads.

Zeps are too slow, and lack durability. If you put some kind of thin metal armor over the lifting bag, you'll lose the vast majority of your cargo capacity, and if you don't then you'll get shot down.
Hnnnnnnnnnng

Yeah, but reliable parachutes weren't developed until after the end of WWI. So if you're trying to deploy shock troops from a zeppelin, it's going to have to hold still at most a few dozen meters off the ground long enough for the men to rope down to the battlefield.

Meaning that the zeppelin would so vulnerable to enemy artillery and machine guns that it would essentially be a suicide mission. You'd have to unload the men many miles away from the enemy, completely negating the point of airborne shock troops.

>you will captain a massive zeppelin bomber-drone carrier removing baguette for the glory of the Kaiser

Stop lying ;_;

Telling lies on the internet is still a sin user.

Best airship coming through

Enough Gun

Not sure if it counts

>Why not live

What's always perplexed me about this setup is why would you put the weapons on the top?

Because it makes the photoshop easier

USS Macon over New York City, 1933

This seems like it would tip super easily

If there was less of a superstructure and a LOT of stabilisation you could make a case that artillery on top of an airship (and thus able to fire in an upwards arc) would have amazing range

It's a pretty fantastical idea to begin with, so realism doesn't figure much into. But if I remember correctly, heavy guns on battleships were seated in the hull rather being locked into it (which is why the guns are missing on the wreck of the Bismarck - the ship flipped while it was sinking, and the guns fell out). Working against gravity, rather than with it, would probably severely limit how heavy your turrets could be.

It would, but as it turns out, any airship with any significant amount of gun would tip easily, even if the guns are mounted along the center of gravity or on the bottom, and the recoil forces would have the ship rocking back and forth, all but unable to get an accurate firing solution on anything. The only exception is nose-mount guns, which can fire directly along the ship's center axis and won't cause tipping or rocking, but can only fire straight ahead. Recoilless rifles can lessen this effect but not remove it completely.

The only real solution for broadside armaments on aircraft is katyousha style rocket pods, since their recoil is negligible. They also have less of an issue with hitting targets like other airships, which are constantly moving in three dimensions and can't be bracketed. Saturation fire with dozens of rockets is the best way to do airship-airship broadside fire(unless you have radar or other accurate rangefinding equipment)

Anyone who thinks Ivalice isn't Final Fantasy's best setting, or that 12 didn't have arguably the best designs in the series, might actually have brain damage.

Yeah, just thinking about how much damping you'd need for guns, and then mounting that on top of the ship, it'd be immense.
You probably could do it though (if you get to hindenburg size you have a lot of lift to play with), but you's need to find a reason that a flying artillery platform would be favoured over just using bombs - it can't be shot as easily, but the reduction in firepower would be huge

>lack durability

Before the Brits developed incendiary bullets, zeppelins were actually pretty much unstoppable. The way they were built included so much redundancy that they could absorb hundreds of rounds and still make it back to their bases before even coming close to losing altitude.

Might need 's rocket pods in case of frog airships

I've been brainstorming an Age of Sail on the Astral Plane campaign, and I've been trying to figure out what exactly the ships look like.

I sort of figured they'd retain something resembling a terrestrial sailing ship's hull, since they're designed to alight on water to increase their carrying capacity. This precludes horizontal symmetry, though, and would require a funky sail-plan to compensate for the asymmetrical thrust. Maybe some large headsails *beneath* the bow (connected to booms and the bowsprit).

Look into Spelljammer.

True, even peppered with holes they stayed up for ages.

I prefer dead whales being repurposed as zeppelins, with spikespitting bats as the main defence.
I liked leviathan.

Got any airships that do have a wooden style to them but don't support themselves with gas?

Music unrelated to request, but related to airships.

youtube.com/watch?v=ynbUHMxYAyI

what an airship without a pilot

Not quite an airship, but I had a group acquire property rights to a small fortress early in a campaign. A series of reverse knowledge checks established that dragons are rare because males only have one testicle which adventurers keep hunting them for; if you can acquire seven, each from a different color and age category of dragon, you can convert them into a Wish. Tracking down dragons soon became a major sideplot, with the ultimate goal of enchanting their fortress to fly. Unfortunately, the game petered out after collecting only five, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to high-level airship shenanigans.

>posing with a pilotless balloon

That aside, I once ran with this guy as the leader of a group of adventurers who acted as rivals to the player party, using an airship to travel and make grand entrances.

That hurts to look at. It looks they dipped ribbons in glue and threw them at her.

You newfagot this is Veeky Forums why are you posting human womens

>tumblr nose
for what purpose?

>gears on the hat crest

This is exactly the sort of "steampunk" I hate: no thought to practicality or invention, just paste gears and pipes on things.

Yes, I mad.

Because she's a rodent.

That's not even an insult, she's literally cosplaying as one.

Incidentally, I have actually seen a few wrenches that were only slightly smaller than that, there's a small part of me that wishes I'd nicked one or something

youtube.com/watch?v=211LNk5vnJM

The best I could say is that they're a heraldic cap badge, like grenadiers have a flaming grenade, but then there's that shitty Egyptian wing thing and whatever's going on around her waist.

It's supposed to be a mound nose I guess.

I seriously considered basing my last character off Stand and Deliver, even though I detest Adam Ant's music.

He's just so gorgeous, you know?

youtube.com/watch?v=kbg0ycJGAa0

If you're going to command an airship, ya better have class to match.

What is this ring of fire even supposed to do?

It wasn't just an incendiary bullet. A regular incidence bullet couldn't reliably ignite the gas bags because they passed through them too fast. They used alternating explosive-incendiary bullets to blow holes in the bags, then ignite the gas as it escaped.

Provide thrust.
Because no matter how unaerodynamic you are, with enough thrust it just doesn't matter

It creates a gravitic anomaly, so that the ship moves by constantly falling down, down, down into it.

Be magic?

I prefer my airships to float using rocks. I like the idea of carving the heart of your ship, and building the ship around it. Could hang below a sheet of slate, be built around a boulder, or set atop it like a floating island. Floating rocks are the best, and I haven't really seen them used as extensively as I'd like

The Edge Chronicles did rock-based airships the best.

I've never seen anything START coming close to it