Civ Quest General Thread

Will Islamic Mole Rat Quest continue today?

When will we get the next episode in the Mindflayer saga?

When will a new chart be made?

All this and more!

Other urls found in this thread:

inkarnate.com/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

19th century tech CSA troll quest when?

This one is still going on I think.

OP went to bed recently. It was a good thread though.

As a starting topic, should it be a rule that civ quests are given a schedule starting time on Generals in advance?

Land of the Shifting Sun.

The endless Chalk Plains are ever cast in gold by the embrace of the Gentle Sun. Littered among them are solid hills of white, orbs that radiate the heat of the Lasting Sun well into the night. Deep in the greenery of the jungles, young and old humbly treasure what little is granted by the Piercing Sun. But it is the light of the Waning Sun shining ever so weakly upon the twisting flint tunnels that is twisted and spun and shared between all.

y/n?

Slime civ is currently one. Get in here, you spine-ful meat bags. Be warn though, QM does take his time to write
That only works if the /civg/ is up and most of the time it isn't.
I say Yes.

In terms of a new chart, maybe it'd be useful to establish a system that properly reflects strengths and weaknesses of the races.

Maybe a table with when rolls are successful, sufficient and failures at the three stages of competence of good, adequate and bad. That way, you have a bigger margin for success if you're supposed to be great at magic, and a smaller margin if you're bad at industrial subjects.

Looking at you, Unseen civ. ;_;

Just gauging interest for now, as a way to get some life into this general.

On and off, I'll be putting up some race/culture outlines for this setting. Not really deciding WHICH one to pic, but whether people have more to add or if they don't want it to be in the initial choice.

uhh, that's what the stats are for. If you want something more in depth, that wouldn't necessarily be something you post alongside the races. Maybe a separate image.

Yeah, just seems like a few CMs are going with a stricter idea, so you get consecutively poor results for aspects you're meant to be great at.

the main point I want to make is that there currently is NOT a "standard" for civ mechanics, but you're welcome to make one.

If you integrate it into a civ select image well before you get it playtested and everything, then I'm not so sure if the work you put in on the civ select part will get the respect it deserves.

What are some new race civ ideas you have, /civg/?

constructs or plant folk if we are gonna get a game started. I'm up for any setting

Batmen.
If based in a location with natural wildlife, their food production will be at least Sustainable.

And maybe they'll slowly spread diseases to other races they deal with due to ectoparasites unless precautions are taken.

Because, you know, bats.

Monstergirls

Monsterboys

I like this but I'm not so sure about the diseases and ectoparasites. The Skaven already do that.
That's not new and they're overdone already.

I'm okay with either Monstergirls and boys of a certain variant or just monstergirls due to genetic mutation or something.

Did Cy start his new civ yet?

Yeah, but the Skaven do it purposely and specialize in diseases. Ectoparasites are just a mild inconvenience at worst when dealing with bats, something that might happen with a crit fail or something.

That will count as a diplomacy plenty I assume.

See

Why not plant constructs?

Warforged? Fine by me.

I think that would be the Dryads.

More like War-farmed.

Dryads are nature spirits that are bound to a particular tree. Constructs are constructed.

Basically, a plant golem.

Run it.

plz someone start this

Before for that to happen, what are the stats of them?

Here is a rough edit of the stats

Different idea for the stats, to imbalanced?

Considering the implications, I'd say their Growth should be Explosive provided access to water and sunlight (or similar). Otherwise Average.

Maybe relatively high Military and Industry (Medieval hydroponic bays for growing weapons and armor?)

This sounds good. I guess depending on the region, their plant species will be different.

They could graft multiple plants onto themselves or others adding to the construct theme. I like the idea of growing weapons and armors

Non-peaceful warmongering ents? I'd second this statement, as well as stating the same for my suggestion:

Aquatic Minotaurs.

But manatees are peaceful creatures. They're like cows in water.

Exactly. We'd basically be a Not!Buddhist civ, which would be pretty fun.

However, if you want to wage wars, we can always do Aquatic Loxo.

Top three civs you wish would come back; GO!
>Friends of the Fauns
>Camilla's Vampires
>Kobold mercenary

War-Ents

Growth: Explosive
Military: Army
Culture: Unrefined
Industry: Effective
Education: Average
Magic: Average

+ Do not need rest, granting an extra action per turn
+ Can regenerate damage through photosynthesis
- Growth becomes Average if lacking access to water and sunlight
- Industry becomes Useless if dealing with anything not nature

I'm imagining they were created back when the the elves were cliché and hated everything not nature, then stored away because they grew too independent. They'd recently have found a way out and resumed their previous function of spreading The Green.

Maybe? Sort of just went with what came to mind while I was cooking.

Are you talking about the Jungle Kolbold one?

So the elves accidentally created druidist ISIS? Someone please start this!

Can you make a sheet for the other races pitched here also?

Yes

It's coming back in June. Also, I think I heard that Otter Quest is also returning in the summer.

Ghoul Civ may even make a comeback too

Don't torment me like that user. I still wait for the best civ ever but he's too focused on his lich in spess

Has there been any word on CyclopsOPs new civ they were going to run?

Weren't they going to do an undead civ in the Rotwood?

One can dream, user. ;_;

So I tried discussing this in the Quest Thread General but got told politely take this here.

I wanted to do a narratively driven Civ Quest in the vein of Cyclops Civ Quest.

About a troop of Merfolk Exiles as they meet the other races of an aquatic world.

I'm working on a proper world map right now and drawing a lot of art assets.

Thoughts?

i'm down for this. Always appreciated and enjoyed your art mang

>Narratively driven Civ
Since you are the QM, it's fine. Frankly, I'm glad you have an idea already. Starting blank always makes some players leave since their race didn't get picked.
>Merfolk
That's always a plus in my book. Not enough water races are played
>Art
It's cute and funny.

I never got why people got so picking between civs and quests

Civs are a type of Quest like SoL or RE: quests

It's about time we got an R-rated civ quest.

Thanks. I'm still doing some prepwork and also getting some other real life/commissioned stuff out of the way.

I was thinking wednesday either this week or next week.

I've got a lot of background and fluff stuff done, I just gotta make the world map. Unless thats something better off being made on the fly?

>Frankly, I'm glad you have an idea already. Starting blank always makes some players leave since their race didn't get picked.
Yeah I've seen that happen a couple times. And might be an element why i haven't been grabbed by other civ threads.
>Not enough water races are played
There'll be quite a few unique ones that can be encountered.
>Art
>It's cute and funny.
I've heard horror stories about how rough drawquests are to run, but after seeing Nerv Bridge Simulator and Cyclops OP do these darling maps and geneologies in Homonculi Civ, sort of puts me at ease.

Plus drawing worldbuilding stuff, is also like my favorite thing to do on Veeky Forums anyhow.

I can sort of see why the distinction exists. There were a couple of civ games I dropped in on that had a bit more of a simulationist bent to them, that distinguishes them from say a doctor taking care of a robot girl in a top secret laboratory. I definitely aim for the middle route that Cyclops OP has tread though.

I was thinking of sealions.

No, I mean not enough aquatic civs are played.

Question for civquest runners

Considering running one myself, but my number one problem with quests is that it often feels that there's no lose scenario. To combat this, I thought about running a game of Civ5 in the background to determine things like what the map looks like and where enemies are placed. What are some resources you use to help you out with some of the more gamey aspects of a civ quest, or is most of it homebrewed?

I usually home-brew it, but it's almost certainly better to have the lore of where everything is pre-written.

I was about to ask a similar thing.

I mean I guess there's no harm in doing some prepwork, but still, if you feel like people are having it too easy, or not having enough excitement, throw something in.

Bump

I'd love to see a dragon race made. Perhaps something with variable breath weapons like dnd/Pathfinder

I never understood why dragons never got on the chart.

Also is there a file that people use for the chart, like a Photoshop file where changes can be easily made?

I think I got a good balance on that, at least one that doesn't require outside resources like running Civ5.

I make it plain from the very presentation of the Problem that is is Bad, and from there players have to solve it. They likely can't "lose" in the sense that the civ will be over, but very often it costs them something, people or resources or waking something worse up. This is balanced by the gain of other things like research or doodads, but it is implied enough that while they are useful, they are not IMMEDIATELY useful for survival and they can't just throw their entire population at problems as they come up.

So you can feel the vice of "loss", even as you amass a quite admirable sum of tech and tools that you may or may not be able to fully utilize.

When do you think you'll be running this quest? I don't want to miss voting.

How does a dragon build a home? Use tools?

SlowCM once tried to run a Dragon civ where it would be a small family of dragons that rule over a civ of followers growing and watching over and guiding them.

Probably how I would run it.

Ah, I've seen similar ones with Demons, Celestials, and general Slavers. They didn't last very long.

Not to say they CAN'T work, but I personally feel that if they aren't the ones doing the day to day tasks of civ building, then they don't really benefit much from having civ select stats.

Far better to play as "Human Civ where the players are all ruling dragons to explain why the passage of time is not a bother to them", or some such.

Fairies vs Pixies
Who would win?

I'd like to see for a way for two civ threads to merge in some way. Bitter enemies fighting a war, or a space race like rivalry to achieve some goal.

I'm super busy for the next week but after that I'm off for the summer, so ideally voting will be Monday the 2nd of next month, prepwork for the rest of the week and then the first thread before the weekend's over.

Additionally, I had an idea to try to make things more interesting than just voting on a race. Instead, we have a series of votes where we build a race from the ground up, deciding on things like whether we're terrestrial/aquatic/airborne, if we use magic or tools, what sort of limbs we have, what we eat, shit like that. We might end up with something resembling an already existing race, or we might end up with buff platypus demons.

Eventually

When will you come back, good sir?

>tfw QM does a long run

I'll do that, by CSA you mean confederate right? I'm not too knowledgable on southern culture but I'd love to run a Troll Civ with aristocracy and chattel slavery who just recently won independence from another kingdom

who?

The Machine QM and nice quads.

I think the general gist was a ruling class of trolls with gnolls as working class, as the trolls could control the gnolls and prevent their natural infighting.

The Union was dwarves who'd recently found out about a number of rich veins within the trolls' borders, and I guess they set up shop, leading to the Trolls firing the first shot..

My lore idea was that the Trolls broke away from an Orc confederation after a short and decisive uprising (think battle of bull run and immediate Orc acceptance of troll independence), I didn't think out who the slaves would be yet but gnolls fit the bill, never liked them anyway. Civ would be various troll factions vying for dominance, culturally a race of honor and blood feuds, instilled in them by generations of Orcish governance. I guess I'd let the players pick out the starting house instead of spearheading them into it.

The houses would be something along the line of the Moon Lords, the current ruling faction with a crescent as their family sigil and a knack for subterfuge and diplomacy; the Rage Knights, more militaristic and honor-touting of the houses; and the Tunicate, the only seafaring house, hurt by the newfound trolls independence, their shipping lanes suffering greatly without the better equipped Orcish navy protection abroad

The "Union" would be several racers under the Orcish banner, the notBritian of the setting would obviously be anything but elves given tgees hatred for them, notFrance (19th century post 5th republic) would be Dwarves, notPrussia would be machines or constructs, notSouth America would be a bunch of lizardmen and serpent states (lol I know) and notRussia would be Minotaurs

19th century tech so most races would have gunpowder weapons, with races like trolls and Minotaur still being more melee combat oreintated, being able to carry large, strong armor given their obscene strength

Sleepy bump

QMs, have you ever did a civ where you weren't having fun but the players were?

Batmen

Growth: Fast
Military: Army
Culture: Average
Industry: Average
Education: Scholar
Magic: Average

+ Food production will not go below sustainable if location has natural wildlife
+ Military is Superpower when outnumbering their enemy or fighting at night
- Fiercely territorial of their hunting grounds, penalizing diplomacy with neighboring civs

Something of a scourge race like the Gnolls and Goblins, the bats are reliant on quickly maturing offspring to reinforce their numbers and overrunning their opponents. They're also prone to deep introspection, and vie for answers to life's mysteries.

Couldn't quite get into the mindset, but gave the bats a shot. The Mimics are a little trickier. I, myself, can't help but imagine them as refluffed slimes.

Does anyone plan on running one today?

loxodon and skorpionfolk are vying to be added but there never seems or be a part photoshoppist around

Every civ I try to finally get Loxo running. It's cursed...

Hey, /civg/. How you been?

I'm not so sure about the territorial part. Bat aren't very protective of claimed lands. Maybe they should get a food resource plenty? They do eat a lot. Or slow growth during the day?

Anybody know a good mapmaking tool?

I think this one is good.
inkarnate.com/

I don't think we need new races, we need new locations. Nucular wastelands would be fun for a post apocalyptic fantasy civ.

Also, would anyone mind if I did a civ thread? I'm thinking Litch/zombies, or vampires. perhaps with a vampire hunter d like supernatural post apocalyptic feel

You mean a civ run? If so, go ahead. We encourage it. You are the Civ Master.

Done:

Isnt that kinda covered in mana wastes? But I think it would be kinda cool to add a nuked out location, you'd get more mutants and strange events. Plus you could have a race reclaim their power after being nuked back to the stone-age.

We always need new races. Variety is the spice of life, especially when no one cares about gnomes, celestials, draconians or whatever else.

Aliens or other sort of dimensional outsiders are always cool. Could we add starspawn or other lovecraftian races into the chart somehow?

How about the classic green men?

That'd work! Nothing too complex, just an invasive species that perhaps crash land on whatever world you play in, and meet the magical races from the chart. perhaps your an invading force, a recon team, or simply looking for strange new life and stranger civilizations.

>Crash land on planet designated as technologically underdeveloped
>Laws dictate you cannot interfere with indigenous life
>Have to somehow gather the resources to repair your ship's functions while not causing cultural abnormalities or technological advancements

I'd play it.

You should start it, I'd play. Id run it, but I have finals. :(