/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Annoying fucks edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos except Vehk and Vehk
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

To keep this from becoming /tesg/ minus waifus, don't post memes unless you are also posting quality discussion. Especially if it's not even Elder Scrolls related.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php/Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
elderscrolls.com/morrowind/expansions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thank you guys for giving me a place to talk elder scrolls

First for Dres did nothing wrong

4th for Grey Beards

>cliffracers with legs
Fucking hearsay.

6th for sexy altmer

THALMOR PURGE WHEN?

"Dovahkiin..." (trembles)

You're both wrong and right.

Where is that from? Why would anyone add legs to cliff racers?
5th era when Numidium Ancestroscythes Altmer out of existence.

>To keep this from becoming /tesg/ minus waifus, don't post memes unless you are also posting quality discussion
This kalpa is off to a great start.

muh slaves

Skywind.

We're all family, here, fampai.

>slave
>no slave bracers
Why ESO, why?

That's not a sexy Altmer.

THIS is a sexy Altmer

The whole freed slaves bullshit in ESO is fucking atrocious.

Oh that explains it. It's known to be mostly crap anyway. I want to see their faces though when (if it's ever finished) Russians and other modders caring zero for copyrights port all decent models to Morrowind format.

indoril best house

Too bad they weren't really featured in Morrowind

>be dunmerfag
>younger brother is a lizardlover
>trash talk each others favored race whenever TES comes up

Hah, this is what a REAL sexy Altmer looks like.

>not Telvanni
>not Dres
>not even Redoran
Move along, false god puppet.

Put him in chains while he's sleeping.

They realise a dumb cat slave doesn't stand a chance escaping

I'd cast a spell on her ifyaknowwhatimean.

Tamriel Rebuilt already has Indoril stuff, but sadly not joinable faction yet.

did they actually try to copyright that crap?

Redoran and Telvanni have their benefits, but Dres is nothing but a bunch of dirty saltrice farmers

Indoril has sexy armor, and ALMSIVI is truth

Wrong again. These are sexy altmer. They come off as mean, but a little loving femdom keeps a marriage from getting dull.

If I remember that quest correctly there was some ghost invasion on the farm because Khajjit summoned some djiin or some shit like that. So the slaves freed themselves but wasn't able to escape because ghosts were slaying everything that moved.

I feel for you. It must be sad to have scaly-furry as younger brother. Make him read Sermons, so maybe he will understand greatness of Vehk and Muatra.

He'll grow out of it. Don't worry.

was meant for
Also how about some actual lore discussion or something?

>Dres is nothing but a bunch of dirty saltrice farmers

captcha: E texas

Not really, but copyrights are kind of automatic deal. You know one can sue someone for stealing his "original art" and that shit. Literally never happens with non-professional artists though because it's too expensive and too much hassle.

>Hating based farmers.
Nobleman swerve, bet you can't even till. Where do you think food comes from?

Post a discussion topic n'wah

we have to let off a little steam somehow, but thank you for your insightful contribution

Will we see the fall of the towers in the next elder scrolls game?

>Tfw when my older brother is a Buddhist who'se really into Mysticism.
>Tfw I know he'd love TES lore.
>Tfw he's interested, but forever a Skyrimfag

Ada-Mantia falling would technically undo convention probably and it would be weirdness of Dawn era all over again which would be too hard for Bethesda to do. Also, we have actually seen towers fall in games, Red Tower fell in Morrowind for example.

I doubt we will ever see more about them given how the games are progressing. Too complex for the audience that Bethesda is pandering to.

Well, he could read books on Imperial Library. Vivec's Sermons should definitely spark some interest for Morrowind for a guy like that.

Did somebody say something about a Gondola run a few threads ago?

Audience that Bethesda is pandering to doesn't read or care about lore though. Still, Bethesda doesn't care for it either and they don't even have writers that could pull of it.

I've shown him some stuff, even explained some of the parallels, but he just wants to play his proud nord warrior or his evil vampire stealth-archer. Which is fine, I guess, it's meant for fun.

what is the best period of TES and why is it the Thrassian Plague?

2nd Era sounds good with all the magitech, and the Mages Guild just came about.

Finally someone understands.

That's a sload.

No it's not.

looks like a sload

Sorry, my mistake. Wishful thinking, I guess. You see, I was looking for a sload because I was going to give a 1,000,000 drake prize to the first sload that could prove it was actually a sload. Looks like it won't be dispensed this year, either. Probably going to bring it down to 500,000 tomorrow.

You're a sload.

Jeez user just because someone is chubby and hugable and has a tail doesn't mean they are a sload!

prove it n'wah

thqt isn't huggable that's obese. his fat folds have fat folds. his love handles are adjustable

I just wanted to quickly thank the people who answered all my questions about Daggerfall in the last thread.

Cool.

I don't get it, would guards attack you if you scaled the walls or are you just being tacticool

Is there any art of Sload babies?

Holy shit that looks awesome.

So can the procedurally generated nature of Daggerfall be rectified by the dragon break? I mean that since all possible endings happened, what about parallel villages, dungeons, and monsters?

Touche.

Sure.

Guards and NPCs in general don't roam around at night and in my experience they will only appear if you try to rest within or nearby the town. I've been arrested for "criminal conspiracy" a few times when climbing walls, but I believe that was due to the quests I was on. There's a chance to get arrested for that on certain shady quests.

Nothing to be rectified there. Daggerfall was procedurally generated once by Bethesda. The data they generated was put on the disk, so the world itself (towns/dungeons/etc.) is static. MAPS.BSA contains all that information by referencing BLOCKS.BSA and Daggerfall Tools for Unity gives you tools to work with the data contained in those files in the Unity engine.

Tried daggerfall once, never got out of the starting dungeon because of the controls.

Oh, it's actually static? I had heard otherwise. I retract my comment then.

You can set it to mouselook mode in the in-game options. You can't walk diagonally and vertical movement when swimming/levitating uses separate keys, but besides those two relatively minor issues it handles similarly to any first-person game made in the last 10 years.

Certain aspects are procedurally generated like quests, enemies, loot, but that's just as true for Skyrim. What you probably heard was that Daggerfall's world WAS procedurally generated, and that's absolutely correct in the past tense. The world is not handcrafted because the vast majority of it was built by a random generator. The difference is that it's not built in real-time, so your world is the same as my world is the same as the world of whatever poor sap pre-ordered the broken mess that was Daggerfall version 1.0.

Yes, I had heard that it was seed based with everyone getting a different world. Much better this way, imo

I believe the areas outside towns in Arena were like that. They just repeated the same square infinitely in all directions once you got far enough out, though. In my tests I would always get the same worlds across installs, and it matches up with a few videos I've seen of outdoor exploration on YouTube, so Arena probably uses a fixed seed for that stuff if it does in fact generate the wilderness in real-time.

Alright FINE stop twisting my arm

>Can't do this is newer games
Beth pls

You made the right decision. When you load up the game press ESC -> Controls -> Mouse (a tab along the bottom of the screen) -> View to get modern-style controls.

Didn't they fall already thus allowing Gayfric Gaycloak to trigger the arrival of Alduin?

Brass tower-numidium check
Red tower - Red Mountain check
Crystal towe - (That tower on Summerset) check
White Gold tower check

Am i missing something.

Is Arena worth playing? Should I start there?

What "smooth graphics" options do I choose?
Would you even know?

It's pretty much a random dungeon crawling/quest simulator. It can be pretty fun to play, but if you don't like it it's definitely not mandatory and can be skipped.

make sure to, after entering the game, DONT touch the sound, graphics, or music bar. then save your game, exit, run the Eye of Argonia program, then go back to your game and enjoy the enhanced graphics bar, which you should never ever touch

Nothing wrong with starting there, but it's fine to skip. I recommend everyone at least try it, if you can stick with it then it's got some fun riddles in the main quest dungeons and helps give you even more context to the series. I started with Arena and I frankly got bored to tears by the end of the main quest, but it made me appreciate Daggerfall's improvements so damn much. I was expecting more of the same based on the screenshots but Daggerfall really blew me away, both in technology and content compared to its predecessor.

It's arguably the "worst" TES game since it's totally lacking of almost every staple TES feature besides spellmaking, but it's still an alright little dungeon crawler with a linear story and lots of places to go. I ended up revisiting it and playing with a few different classes and it does have some neat mechanics. The classes are quite varied in their capabilities and magic users are completely OP.

In DaggerfallSetup? It's been a long time since I've used it, but that either has to do with filters or CPU cycles. If it's the former then I'd definitely say no to filters. They aren't really meant for 3D games like Daggerfall. If it's the latter then the ideal cycle count is around 48000 to avoid some bugs that creep up as you approach and exceed 50,000. If unsure, just set it to whatever's recommended, then check your DOSBox.conf file in the install directory and make sure it has the line "cycles = fixed #####" somewhere and that number is between 40000 and 50000. If it has "cycles = auto" or "cycles = max" then replace that line with the above.

Yes, this is very sound advice. The Eye of Argonia program only works if the sliders are in their default positions, and it's not possible to put them back to those positions using your mouse if you accidentally clicked them. Those options are stored on a per-save basis, so you will do this for every new character you create. The view distance increase is definitely worth the hassle.

I meant in the dosbox.conf where
wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php/Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
talks about scaler= and output=
But that info is good to know too

Ah, the scaler is one of the options that can be used to apply a filter if you wanted one. For output, feel free to try a bunch of different ones. Certain output types can't go fullscreen or stretch properly. My personal settings for these are:
output=overlay
scaler=normal3x

But there's no need to mess with it if you think the game looks fine already on your end.

Is there no way to have 16:9?
That's really my only issue.

nigga do you not know how old this game is

Oh right, and definitely make sure aspect correction is on. Even though Daggerfall outputs a 320x200 image, it's actually meant to be a 4:3 game due to the rectangular pixels of screens at the time. Emulating this on an LCD without distortion or blurring requires a lot more pixels (1600x1200, to be exact), but a little bit of distortion or blurring is far preferable to an improperly stretched image.

Looks like I just answered this question, too. If you're playing on DOSBox then you want 4:3. If you make it widescreen you'll just have a stretched image that makes everything too wide. If you want true 16:9 and high resolution graphics you'll have to wait for DaggerXL or Daggerfall Unity.

So you've been playing since the very beginning then?

I can deal with black bars on the side, I do it for freddi fish, I just prefer to have 16:9 if possible.
Don't think xl or unity are gonna be released anytime soon though

How do we fix the Third Empire? If not fix, how can we let it finally die?

Ulfric didn't necessarily trigger his arrival. He was going to arrive when the scrolls wanted him to. That just so happened when "The Sons of Skyrim spilled their own blood."
>Gayfric Gaycloak
You can do better user.

Where's aspect correction

It's in the [render] section. You want the appropriate line to read:
aspect=true

Was it ever explained what was going on with Blackreach? Specifically, I mean how the Falmer kept non-Falmer slaves, who even fight for them. The only explanation I have is that they'd go up into the surface at night and steal babies or toddlers, and raise them as their own.

It's doing a damn good job of dying already, don't you think?

Sup /tesg/ I want to ride a nostalgia wave real high:

Post morrowind stories/pictures/art pls

Not really art, but seeing wide shots (and especially the paper map) always reminds me of the adventures I've had in each part of the island.

And here's the paper map.

Before anyone asks, the island in the southwest corner of is Firemoth. It's official content.
elderscrolls.com/morrowind/expansions/

Damn you're right; thanks user

What's with the super straight 'L' line that separates the Grazelands from Redmountain?