>People like Underdragons.

FTFY

They aren't a Tolkien-Standard fantasy race:
>Human
>Elf
>Dwarf
>Orc
>Halfling/Hobbit/Gnome

It's therefore got less baggage, therefore more room to create something new without feeling like your rewriting something already written.

Tucker's Kobolds

We, as humans, are biologically motivated to cheer on the underdog. Since goblins are ugly little fucks they aren't cheered on as the underdog since image is a trait in empathy. Kobolds are either cute dragon halflings without wings or walking puppies, which means we both empathize and cheer them on.

>We, as humans, are biologically motivated to cheer on the underdog.
Speak for yourself.
An upset every now and then can be exciting, but most people are more naturally drawn towards strength.

/thread

Technically it's societally based and not biological, but close.
theodysseyonline.com/valdosta/why-do-we-love-the-underdogs/388178

Because they fall in the cross section of "furry" and "scalie" so they attract people from both groups

yeah even in the cases where we root for the underdog, we don't root for them because they're weak. We cheer them because they've shown that they're stronger than we expected. It's still an admiration of strength, it's just more exciting when that strength comes from somewhere unexpected.

I think we're saying the same thing.

Because I want to play a runty little fuck who speeds around and steals/stabs shit.

I like Pathfinder Kobolds because they have little-dog syndrome

>Kobolds often seethe with hatred and jealousy, but their innate caution ensures that they only act on these impulses when they have the upper hand. If unable to safely indulge their urge to physically harm and degrade members of other races, they resort to careful insults and “practical jokes” instead

Doesn't that sound fun?

Because they are awesome?

If you're a furryfag, yea

That sounds awful, it's the pinnacle of passive aggressiveness

So they are like teenage girls.

What is the rest of this comic? I'd love to see a dragon raised by a kobold.

It's a joke that some people have come to enjoy.

Kobolds are the standard D&D walking bags of XP, even lower than goblins. They are there to be annoying and give targets to kill. The fact that they produce traps (yet another PC annoyance) is just to make them even more tempting to be killed off.

Just look at how popular culture portrays kobolds, such as Kobolds Ate My Baby!

Some people have enjoyed the underdog status. Some people have enjoyed the challenge of keeping the weakest monster in the manual alive, either as a character or a a hireling.

Then WotC decided to turn kobolds into a type of dragon, perhaps as a bit of a joke, and the whole mess boiled over.

I'd prefer Hobgoblins if I had to pick a typical D&D monster to make into a race, but that's just me.

>Gnome
>Tolkien
When did Tolkien use gnomes? And no, hobbits don't count; I don't recall any hobbits who could cast illusionary spells, talk with animals, or engaged in alchemy experiments.

>I don't recall any hobbits who could

>Cast illusory spells
1. Natural Hobbit Stealth has more than perceived magical aspect to it. Also Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam wielded the Ring to gain invisibility. Bilbo cast a taunting spell upon the spiders (many spells are sung in LOTR this was likely unintentional magic) and Frodo invoked the light of elbereth in Shelob's lair.

>talk with animals
2. besides eagles, spiders, ravens, thrushes, and foxes right?

>or engaged in alchemy experiments.
burning the Longleaf for its properties and other extensive use, knowledge, and cultivation of herblore.

Not that I need a further connection between Hobbits and Gnomes other than
>fair human-like beings shorter than dwarves, but not minuscule.

>Not that I need a further connection between Hobbits and Gnomes other than
>>fair human-like beings shorter than dwarves, but not minuscule.
That fits halflings and gnomes equally well, so if you're going to call halflings the D&D hobbit, then you can't call the considerably different gnomes the same.

>Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam wielded the Ring to gain invisibility.
>Frodo invoked the light of elbereth in Shelob's lair.
Invoking a magical item is hardly the same as casting spells, or having a natural affinity for illusions. At best, the hobbits (mostly) resisted the greed with the ring that affected others and they became invisible when wearing it, but I don't recall anyone else actually wearing the ring.

Well, outside Sauron.

>Natural Hobbit Stealth has more than perceived magical aspect to it.
Ehhh.... Natural Elven Archery has a preceived magical aspect to it, but elves were never given a magical, use-activated ability to enhance their archery. Ditto to Natural Elven Sight. (Although AD&D, at least, did have a somewhat magical ability to detect secret doors.)

Halflings' bonus to stealth seems much more in line for Hobbits' natural stealth, much like an elf's bonus and proficiency for archery.

>Bilbo cast a taunting spell upon the spiders
I actually don't remember this - it's been a very long time since I read The Hobbit - so fair enough. I'll take your word for it.

>besides eagles, spiders, ravens, thrushes, and foxes right?
All of those were, as far as I can tell, creatures which could converse with any species of man. The eagles and spider, at least, seemed more like talking intelligent creatures rather than just big birds or bugs which happen to talk with hobbits.

>burning the Longleaf for its properties and other extensive use, knowledge, and cultivation of herblore.
Again, don't quite recall that part, so I'll take your word for it. That does sound more gnome-y than halfling-y to me.

>you can't call the considerably different gnomes the same.
>considerably different
>gnomes
kek

The rest of it (including Bilbo singing "Big Fat Spider") was me mostly yanking your chain. Burning Longleaf was just a fancy way for me to say smoking tobacco and getting buzzed, and calling it alchemy (which it kinda still is).

youtube.com/watch?v=rKdsBlRNgX0

> Natural Hobbit Stealth has more than perceived magical aspect to it.
I'm pretty sure it's stated that it's a result of their culture and small, lithe bodies that make them good at stealth rather than any actual magic. Men just think it's magic.

No gag reflex

>Why do people like kobolds again?

Validated persecution complex

Latent furry tendencies.

Obsession with the scrawny underdog using their intelligence to undermine the big mean adventurers.

Cute, CUTE!

Rude

Is that Slark?

>Furfag
>"rude"
Implying you have emotions beyond autism and yiffing

the hell is yiffing?

In some early writings I think Tolkien referred to Noldor as synonymous with "gnomes".

A favorite PC of mine was a Kobold named Remmy, just a kid with a heart of gold who wanted to save his mom

Because they're adorable.

I have no idea.

They're like goblins accept I want to kill them even more.

Why post the broke back one?

she is part lizard, her back is more flexible

Flexible little lizard girls.

>Invoking a magical item is hardly the same as casting spells
The One Ring greatly augments one's innate talents. Sauron wasn't invisible while he wore the Ring, but Bilbo was. Someone like Gandalf wearing it would be an interplanar crisis if he was corrupted by it.

It's the noise furries/scailes/anyone who likes to fuck or be fucked by animals/anthropomorphic animals make.

I always thought kobolds were a type of mammalian creatures, not dragonkin

Because unlike a lot of underdark creatures, kobolds are edible. Being as they would happily kill you, and eat your corpse, I've never had much problem doing the same to them. Also you can use kobold as a replacement for alligator in gumbo, or as nuggets.

I still think that degree of a bend over such a small area it to extreme.

and I know I have the no pants version of the edit.

and found it.

They're scrappy little underlizarddogs and you can TOTALLY pull the ol' Tucker's Kobolds and have them be hyper-competent (mental stats are one of the few places they don't get minuses!). Never mind that by the same almost-logic of Tucker's Kobolds you can do that with LITERALLY everything in your entire setting, you're showing off the god damn KOBOLDS.

Fuck them, they're practically pets. Only useful as low (1st) level encounters and exposition for dragons the party will encounter later on.

Cause they're awesome! also i love cutebolds.

No gag reflex and the ability to eat things using methods similar to a snakes.

oh my... any more fat kobold butts?

Found your pants, series over!

I fucking loved that movie

So that's why he always wore a towel!

Does this work?

To clean up when he was done with the strong horses?

A little lewder than I expected, and honestly not that well done. But yes, more like that.

The same reason necromancers are loved. They feel unique

they're a nice change from goblins
a bit chewy though

.....How do YOU know this~?

holy fuck user

Personally, I blame Weaver.

cutebolds are cute

What would kobold taste like

what part are you eating?

Would it matter greatly which part? Unless you're using eating as an innuendo.

Eating fast twitch muscles over slow twitch ones and the fat content of each part will affect flavor yes.

>Why do people like kobolds again
Because I want to fuck them.

memes

Nice le meme xD

>Halflings' bonus to stealth seems much more in line for Hobbits' natural stealth, much like an elf's bonus and proficiency for archery.

In the opening essay about hobbits, it explicitly states that they have magic that they use to hide from the big loud dumb people like the reader.

They're the same people that would fuck a lizard if they could.

The images in this thread are proof of that.

Because people like things.

oh no

I'm kinda-sorta working on a setting where the only non-human races are 3 meter tall "oni with the serial numbers filed off" called gigantes and 3 to 4 foot tall Monster Musume kobolds called, uh, kobolds.

Because dumb memers.
It's either le cute underdogs, le fantasy vietcong, and/or le sexy lizards :3

3ebolds were a mistake.

This has me dead of cute and I love it.

>Monster Musume kobolds
Leave

Sorry dude, everything is anime now.

Don't forget the no gag reflex. Thats what really sells it.

You fucks realize that ACTUAL IRL magic, and even mythological magic isn't anything like D&D magic, right? Knitting, cooking, and riding horses while standing on their bare backs are all a lot closer. Seriously, guys, you need to start going to /x/ and just reading for ideas. Their shit is so crazy it just might make a good campaign if you can just LURK MOAR.

Where the hell does this "no gag reflex" meme come from?

Pathfinder

Pathfinder lore talks about them having no gag reflex and the fact their smell and taste sense finds nothing disgusting or repugnant.
It also immediately follows up this fact with them servicing dragons happily.

I feel that blaming Weaver is never not the right answer.

I would but /x/ is full of literal retards who don't actually know anything about the background material. Take the skinwalker bullshit for example. One guy heard something about some native american monster and they just made shit up surrounding it. Its literally nothing at all like the original myth the only english name is similar and it has loosely vague attachments to natives.
Hell their whole tulpa bullshit is WAY off the mark from the original material as well.
Fucking hitlers cobbled together pseudo-religion held more water than /x/'s vomited up bullshit is and they did literally the exact same thing.

Brehs, almost all magic in Tolkien's setting is just 'being really good at something'.

Gandalf's fireworks are magical because they're really well made fireworks that he's put his craft and time into. Same with pretty much anything the elves make (hence them not understanding the question "yo are these cloaks magic?"). Same with being really good at singing courage-inspiring songs or sneaking or writing poetry or making jewellery or caring for animals.

DnD style shit like throwing fireballs is occasional but it's usually used as evil magic to contrast because it's unnatural and is drawing power from nothing.

Fuck.

The Ainur and the most powerful High Elves actually can do far more than just throwing fireballs, they just were instructed to not do so anymore because every single time they did it the world ended at the brink of destruction