Malifaux thread?

Malifaux thread?

It's insanely popular at my store and I'm just getting into it. Wouldn't mind some discussion.

Playing Gremlins at the moment but tempted to change faction to Guild. Want something reliable. Problem is factions lack identity outside of Gremlins, they're all single crews and masters who don't really blend into 1 whole.

Other urls found in this thread:

www1.zippyshare.com/v/91pCar8i/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/p4pRYeBe/file.html
www116.zippyshare.com/v/s6FT4rGU/file.html
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw
e-figures.com/blog/?p=1631
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I play Outcasts.

What's this "faction identity" you're talking about?

I do like that faction theme doesn't stranglehold the variety, like many games do. There's still strong themes for what makes the faction, but its not like Warmahordes, where a factions theme is beaten over the players' heads, like how every Khador caster is "For Motherland Russia!"

Thinking of getting Ressers or Neverborn. Unless I go for the box set. No one I know plays, so it might be worth it to drag friends in.

It's picking up steam fast as it's super cheap to get into.

>Problem is factions lack identity outside of Gremlins, they're all single crews and masters who don't really blend into 1 whole.

I'd say only really Arcanists and Outcats suffer from this, which is sort of the whole point of the latter.

If you want crews that blend well together you want Ressers. As a faction they have huge thematic crossover with each other on several different pivots such as poison usage or minion types.

I play Outcasts theirs a 20pts Henchman tournament at my FLGS. What Henchman are best at each scheme & strategy?

Only commenting with what I have experience with.

Aionius is solid against anyone that buries their own models. Also great against crews that sling magic. He can also bounce scheme markers around or push all of yours at once.

Taelor is obviously good against constructs, but she's really only a beatstick.

Nyx likes to tell people "No, and fuck off", and can give your crew some resistance to pulses, auras, and blasts with his upgrade.

someone got a link for the rulebook pdf?

www1.zippyshare.com/v/91pCar8i/file.html

>www1.zippyshare.com/v/91pCar8i/file.html
thank you

Anything to keep Malifaux thread going.

Adding to this, does anyone have pdfs of the older books?

I've been trying to catch up but the RPG book and rulebooks keep referencing things that happened in previous books (Kythera, Grave Spirit, Seamus antics, tyrants etc) but I have no idea what any of it is.

How does Tara...work?

I got her for my Ressers because I wanted to expand into Outcasts after I finished collecting the current Resser releases but it seems like she prefers all the Void things and Death Marshals.

She just seems like a "gimmik" caster to me. I really want to use her but I'm not sure what kind of game she plays.

They have this podcast where they're basically reading Malifaux story from the start, radio style.
Breachside Broadcast, google it

She uses burying shit to deliver beat sticks up to her opponents where they can't fight against them.

Do you have Shifting loyalties?

Rising Powers
www116.zippyshare.com/v/p4pRYeBe/file.html

>Do you have Shifting loyalties?
www116.zippyshare.com/v/s6FT4rGU/file.html

Cheers big ears.

What I have:
>Lilith
>Pandora
>Zoraida
>Cherub
>Poltergeist
>Voodoo Doll
>Primordial Magic
>Barbaros
>Candy
>Bad Juju
>Widow Weaver
>Mature Nephilim
>Teddy
>Baby Kade
>Doppleganger
>Young Nephilim x2
>Terror Tot x3
>Sorrow x3
>Silurid x3
>Waldgeist x3
>Insidious Madness x3

You won't need many models, they said. It's cheap, they said.

No one forced your hand, user.

Also holy fuck, the stories in Shifting Loyalties are amazing. Especially the light-hearted comedy of errors one for Neverborn.

Uploaded all Malifaux books I have:
>mega.nz/#F!zkVlkSYJ!IoYDULk7LLL_zGdfykSsEQ

They did! Those pesky desires!

Also hyped for Titania.

Tara has a pretty good Killjoy/other beatstick delivery game with her Obliteration Symbiote upgrade.

If that's not your style, get good at using Temporal Shift. In Ressers, you'll want a couple Belles to drag in a weak or already activated model so you can pop Shift and make all your important guys fast.

And the Dead of Winter upgrade that lets her bring Death Marshals is pretty awesome too, especially if you're hiring Hannah so she can copy Pine Box at Wp 8.

Tara is kind of a gimmick caster, but her gimmick is AP advantage. Make your guys fast, make enemies that have already activated fast and then kill them before the next turn, or bury models that haven't activated to deny your opponent their AP. Burying scheme or objective runners on a crucial turn is pretty brutal too.

In Ressers you also have Belles to move enemies out of position and make them waste AP walking back, and in Outcasts you can bring the Wretch + rats to out-activate your opponent on top of your AP shenanigans.

Either way, the game plan (if you're not Killjoy bombing) is to basically nickel and dime your opponent out. She doesn't do anything super flashy, but every extra AP you get and every AP they lose makes your objectives easier and theirs harder.

I currently have Ma, Somer and Ophellia but I'm drawn way more to guild than Gremlins. I want something that's more reliable and just blunt as that suits my playing style.

The problem is Guild masters lack well... anything but gimmicks. the shooty one, the smashy one, the magic one. It's rather shallow and other than McCabe there isn't a whole heap I'm interested in, but really like the rest of the faction.

As an ex warmachine player, I'm trying to find something similiar to say Styker. Throws out a little support/passive supports, but can dish out some decent damage here and there.

Hi.

I'm curious in starting Malifaux. There's interest in my town, so I might join.

Are showgirls good? Was thinking of a somewhat Emilie Autumn themed army.

What would be a good Showgirl list?

Is showgirl starterbox + angelica (+ maybe coryphee duet) a good start/list?

That's titania? Goddamnit, I will have to branch into Ressers.

Also, since we need more painted models in this thread, my nephilims.

Mcmourning? He has a bit of support in guild and can dish out damage.

Yes. Definetely get the Coryphees, Angelica can wait. Anyway, they're good, but they are very...non-confrontational. Focus on making schemes above all else.

Titania is Neverborn.

Probably? Titania's some sorta undead fairy thing that flies, and from what I remember that picture came up with regards to stuff in the next book and it fits the bill. So, not for certain, but likely.

I forgot he existed. I'll have to give him a look. I'd ideally like 3 masters for tourney purposes but that may do.

Actually I may upload all spoilerish pics I have....
Keep in mind that they're from beta, so final version might be different.

And that's all I have.

Thanks book bro!

>It's insanely popular at my store
I wish anything but X-wing and Magic were popular at my local store.

Colette is fantastic. She can be great at schemes, support, she's super mobile, slippery, and is just good all around.

Her crew box, Angelica, Coryphee, a beat stick like Howard, and maybe some December acolytes is a solid pool.

Perdita, Sonnia, and Lady J are generally murder machines, but they have their tricks. Dita can Obey models and has the crazy family mobility/synergy, Sonnia can create terrain, make new models, turn off casters, and totally rewrites the rules for blasts and LoS. Lady J has the most basic toolbox, just a big sword and cover generation, but her complexity comes more from using her as a control/area denial piece since nobody wants none of that.

McCabe is my current favorite for the speed and utility his upgrade tossing provides.

McMourning is great for doing good damage, buffing some models, and limited poison shenanigans. Like a good doctor he's a scalpel instead of a hammer.

Hoffman is support. He makes his stuff better, tougher, faster, and stronger.

Lucius is weird. He's supposed to be an Obey type, trading AP for others. He's a bit card intensive, but he's quite hard to get to and has a great hiring pool. Best fluff, best model, really rewarding to win with.

This is as opposed to the gremlin staple of "do all the damage with a minor and easily remedied 'drawback'"

What other models are "Einharjer"? It seems like this leader will end up having an upgrade that involves them somehow.

Same here user. Ive gone so far as to ply my trade at redoing the ancient spread of terrain they have available to fit anything people will throw models onto.

None so far that I know of.

I like Lucius and McCabe. Both play sort of like a warmachine caster and that's basically what I'm looking for. Question is, do I start another Malifaux crew or pick up a guildball starter set as that's also taking off.

Apparently that's gonna be her whole crew, a load of living einharjers.

That is a tough one. As a Henchman I'm obviously biased, but I have heard good things about Guild Ball. If there was a group here I'd probably play.

Depends on if there's a scene where you live, or if you want to grow one.

mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

Here are books from Malifaux General threads.

My local store just hosted an international tournament with several of the top 5 malifaux players in the world at it. Malifaux is as entrenched as can be.

>still no Into the Steam anywhere

I'm so jealous.

Want to try learning the game knowing thats your meta mate? I'm going to have to play a shit load of vassal to even stand a chance of coming in the top 10 at a local tourney.

You underestimate how thirsty I am to actually play the game.

So, is it true that UK players are the very best?

So I've heard. Our community is able to play each other a lot. It enables us to push beyond the spread out yanks, Malifaux is probably more UK than US based now.

Wish I had a copy that wasn't watermarked. There's some cool shit in it. Under Quarantine is amazing too.

Myself and my friends taught ourselves. First tourney we went to we got destroyed by stuff we'd never seen or considered.

I wish we had the head start you do.

I'll get destroyed at every tournament..

Would you guys be up for some vassal games if you're looking to play more? It's not great but better than a kick in the balls.

Only cause Poland has five players total. Give it time, and Kurwa will do to Malifaux what it did to Infinity- ruin it of all fun in favor of grueling, boring meta.

As far as i know there are mostly Pandora players and some Gremlins/TT. Almost nobody plays other factions. Haven't heard that our guys visited other countries to try rekting them like that one time in Spain with Infinity. Not to mention that you build your list depending on schemes, so it feels like the game avoids list building problems.

Untrue. We have at least two cities that are doing regular Malifaux tournaments and events. Our facebook group has 275 members. Sure, most of the doesn't play but still we might have around 50 regular players country-wide. And it's growing.

Where the fuck? Was I just looking in all the wrong places?

The group is called 'Pogaduchy o Malifaux'.

There are regular tournaments in Warsaw and Kraków. I see that Poznań is having one on the Saturday.

Bump of crows

Bumping

This guy looks like so much fun. Shame he's not a mercenary, though.

I know this sort of thing is the point of M2E and all, but holy shit, for 9 stones is this level of damage output (especially with that range and those tacticalsand triggers) not broken as fuck?

May have to start some Ressers for undead vikings.

He's not as good as McTavich. His Melee deals no direct damage and is reliant on getting the right suits to set up for a shotgun blast. As a gremlin player, I'd just stick a skeeter on him and he's be locked down. He looks good on paper because you're looking at his ability to discard a card for three shotgun attacks that will deal a minimum of 9 damage (providing that you hit with them all). In this scenario, you'd have to already have him in place before he activates, which is difficult with so many models having repositioning shenannigans, then either hope they aren't in cover or that you have a ram in hand that you won't need for later to get rid of the cover for the turn. It is far more likely that he will simply move and shoot, getting one good hit in before being swarmed by cheaper models in melee.

Is it true that they killed Worldworks?

Can we get some Polish knowledge?

This instead

e-figures.com/blog/?p=1631

What schemes & strats is Colette bad at? Or is she a master of everything?

I literally just bought some death marshals, knowing nothing about the game, because I thought they were cool. Since then, I've heard the game is pretty fun and inexpensive to get into. Are the death marshals actually any good?

Yes. Tara likes them as do most Guild masters.

His cigar can also just straight disengage him with a crow, or set up a shotgun attack with Blown Back. That's really handy for, say, an Obey action + Rapid Fire or if you've got a fast AP from Tara or Oathbreaker. At 2 AP his attacks aren't nearly as exciting, though.

Honestly, though, his attack actions are the least interesting part about him.

Blow It To Hell and Life of Crime are both rather strong abilities that give you a reason to not just take Alyce or Laz all the time. He seems pretty well designed, overall. He's not going to be an auto-include, but he's got tricks that will sometimes make him the better model.

She's "bad" at the ones Ramos is better at.

Has Wyrd put out books of pure Malifaux fiction, even if it's only short stories like Privateer Press started with? Or is all the fluff in the rulebooks? I really enjoy the setting but haven't been able to convince anyone to try the game with me yet.

Like 50% of the books are fluff.

Probably closer to 70%.

I just ordered my first models for Malifaux
Yan Lo crew box, Komainu and Izamu the Armor.
Going Ten Thunders focus because Asia is awesome!

What models would be good complements and fot into the Japanese aesthetic except Samurai?

TT Brothers

Get Toshiro and Yin to finish up the core Ancestor crew.

Tengu are nice scheme runners that might be up your alley.

Heard good things about them.

Yes the goal is to have all of the Ancestors and the Tengu seem awesome, but other than them nothing else quite pops up to me except maybe Misaki.

Allahu Akbar incoming. It's a new art straight from free rules manual (check out this Monday Preview).

Pretty sure dude is a Sikh.

So mystics from India. That's a pretty neat idea.

Ooh, that does sound cool.

When arcanists were just described as mystics, I assumed generic shamans and mages stuff. But indian type mystics is cool.

Cool. Also, fucking top idea to have the rules out for free finally! Infinity's been doing it for forever and they got a massive following (well, within the confines of not-GW)

Unfortunately they have so many super specific rules you need to reference that having some physical copy is necessary for your first several games.

Eh? I mean, yes, infinity's super-bloated, but you can still manage.