Is there an entity in your setting that's responsible for misfortune, or is it a thing that happens just 'cause?

Is there an entity in your setting that's responsible for misfortune, or is it a thing that happens just 'cause?

I once played a dwarf conspiracy theorist who blamed every misfortune, however small, on elves. Especially the elf in the party.

It was later revealed that he was right all along.

The Lady (mostly based off of the Discworld goddess) is the goddess of Chaos and is one of the two most powerful entities in my setting, alongside her opposite, Lord Fate the God of Order (again, Discworld-based). In practical terms for mortals, The Lady usually takes the form of the goddess of luck, which can be good or bad luck as she wants.

The Lady and Lord Fate created everything because even though they absolutely despise each other, they recognize that a universe dominated by either them would be utterly inhospitable - Lord Fate's eventuality is absolute stasis where nothing every changes, whereas the Lady's inevitable universe is an ever-changing morass where nothing lasts for more than a second.

There used to be.
It died.

People still blame it however.

I blame the fucking faeries.

The rogue.

Obviously.

There are various Gods, Goddesses, Demons, Devils, great, unknowable Monsters and even natural events who have misfortune attributed to them.

The truth remains unknown. Not even the Gods share their secrets.

In my setting we call them Jews

Don't be that guy

Yes, but she's no less exempt from the effect than anyone else, so in operation she's like Wil E. Coyote in terms of planning and failure.

Having a god that is responsible for misfortune and other hardships is a pretty good idea from time to time, as long as they aren't being used as the thing the evil people worship. They're sanctioned by the other gods in the pantheon as a necessary god, despite the things they do making people unhappy.

god, FAIRIES! going around curdling milk n' stealing kids n' crap! sacka' flyin' sparkly CRAP!

There is no misfortune, only misguided hope and assumptions.

Funny twist: she's also the Goddess of Fortune, because Fortune is when her misfortune makes her attempts at spreading misfortune spread fortune instead.
Don't avatarfag.

Damn straight.

I played a senile old knight who sincerely believed that every bad thing that happened around him happened because he couldn't remember his wife's name.

I can see many cases in which that would be a reasonable conclusion to draw. You forget your wife's name and she's pissed about it, there's no telling what might happen.

Once played a mad ranger with a rather dubious former connection to a demi-god of dreams. Due to bad times with the former, he would often go long nights without sleep, scream at the sky at night, and believe that bad things happening were hysteric illusions caused by the demigod.

bump

No.

Well maybe.

There is probably such an entity but I haven't statted it or made it an enemy or built a campaign or CR-appropriate encounters around it.

So at most it exists in the "background fluff" i.e. it's irrelevant shit that really doesn't exist at all. But I could make it relevant if I wanted!

ayyy i love that hentai

Bad things come from three sources.
1. Scarcity of resources, causing hunger, famine, poverty, mass migration and conflict.
2. Wrongs commited by others and the need to avenge them or take back what was stolen.
3. Mental illnesses or irregularities.
Just like in the real world ;^)

Don't be the funny guy? Not happening, friend.

Bad luck is a result of excessive mana targeting others with killing intent. Someone's "luck" stat is actually raw magic resistance.

Yes.
Me.
More accurately, there's a goddess of chaos (ironically the daughter of the setting's god of ultimate order) who handles things like random numbers, possible futures, and magic.
Basically, she's the RNGoddess, and she freaked out because she got her power limited ~10,000 years ago when basically all of the other realms that could decided to send dudes into this one. She thinks that they're trying to take over (and she was partially correct, even though now the 'new' residents are now the 'old' residents from a mortal perspective), and has 'held' several apocalypses to try and wipe the board clean with only minimal success.

So an r63 failbaddon that also is tzeentch

I guess?
Her preferred form is a shadow dragon, if that helps.

She sounds incompetent, bro

She's actually pretty mettled at her own inability to win, because despite her natural power, she doesn't have a lot of worshippers, which means she's not allowed to do very much on the material plane.
The closest she got to winning (and she got VERY close) was a catastrophic event on such a scale it took a new pantheon to stop it.
Obviously, every loss has just made her more and more pissed off.
Originally, she was actually Chaotic Neutral (or even Good depending on how you look at things), but so many failed attempts, increased desperation, and ten thousand years of hate and genocide-scale events later, one of which involved a Kraken and another a Tarrasque, she is very firmly in the Chaotic Evil camp.

On one hand, having things just happens seems to be the status quo. People oppose each other, cause strife, things happen. Making a god in charge of it seems like it'd provide an oppurtunity for that god to be killed and everything would be happy forever.

But if it's just the status quo, then that means it goes all the way up. And then it gets into gods having political backstabbing shenanigans while using the mortals as their cats paws, which I hate because it makes the mortals ultimately have no importance.

>And then it gets into gods having political backstabbing shenanigans while using the mortals as their cats paws, which I hate because it makes the mortals ultimately have no importance.
This is why many settings have power limiters on deities based on how many worshipers they have- to prevent shenanigans of this kind from taking place while still allowing for clerics and divine magic.

But then mortals are still their cats paws, and ultimately have little real importance. If anything, it just makes the mortal world more of a battleground for god shenanigans. And if you're unlucky you get stuck in athiest, nonbeliever wall.

Really?
I would think it would turn into consensus reality, given how many deities would want to keep having power and worshippers giving them praise depending on how much they liked the status quo.

Depends on the setting, as empty a phrase as that's become. Some dieties are bound by their own internal needs, the spheres they control essential to their very being. Some have to conquer, destroy, usurp, ect. Others could be beat down or into a stalemate. or would happily exist in a state of truce.

Sort of. There's a god of all things evil that people blame for just about everything bad. There are many different beliefs about him, according to some he's a sadist who only wishes to inflict suffering, some believe when the gods were deciding domains he greedily rushed to grab whatever power he could without realizing what it was, other stories have him as the youngest an d most foolhardy of the gods who took on the responsibility of keeping evil in check despite the others knowing he couldn't handle it all himself, etc.

Stop being a gey

Yeah. We call him "The DM."

>spoiler
Who is he? Your character or the elf?

Yes. We call him the DM (or GM as he prefers) or Shaun. He is not technically at fault for our misfortune but is technically the source.

The issue is that our GM tends to roll either very well or very poorly. There is no in-between. We have never EVER seen him roll in the range of 7-15 on a d20 or anything other than 1s 2s 5s and 6s on a d6. This either works remarkably well or remarkably poorly for us situation-depending. It is both hilarious and teeth-grindingly awful

post more Jinx

google give me nothing, but I need moar sexy jinx by the artists damnit.

His name is Herny, look him up