Demon is actually just a mistranslation of Magic Folk

>Demon is actually just a mistranslation of Magic Folk
>There's nothing substantially worse about them than humans
>The bad rap is from the human aristocracy trying to suppress capitalism

I can't handle the imminent suffering. Somebody help me by musing about how great a lighthearted setting can be for a jaded soul

>The bad rap is from the human aristocracy trying to suppress capitalism
How the fuck does that relate to a mistranslation?

I've been toying with the idea of juxtaposing modern capitalism as the system of the "evil" race against medieval mercantilism for the "good" race. The proles need propaganda to keep them in line, hence "that's the method of the evil demons!"

I dunno, I was just trying to justify the thread slightly more

Sounds contrived. Why would the aristocrats suppress capitalism? That is not how economic history went in the real world and it seems rather implausible.

In short, tell me more OP.

>the demons r just misunderstood :'(((((((((
How original. Though I'm impressed this time the capitalist aristocracy(?)'s fault instead of the church's

This. Aristocrats fucking love capitalism.

demon plz go

What are some reasonable alternatives to having "good demons" in terms of benign supernatural entities? The only ones I can really think of are angels and they have a lot of baggage attached to being holy in a specifically Judaeo-Christian sort of way.

Are we talking demons as legitimate religious beings, or "demons" as in demonic D&D-tier races that are just monsters but special-er?

It depends on what part of the world you're in. In, say, China, up until the 1900s most of the aristocracy was against capitalism and modernization. They didn't want to be influenced by Western powers, and even after China split into a bunch of feuding warlords, some were deeply conservative and wanted to reinstate the old Emperor, while others strove to modernize and trade with the West and gain new goods for themselves.

i'm confused. parhaps we all should go to bed and try this in the morning

Doesn't Shinto have a whole system of everything having a spirit? Like, the spirit of a river or a forest or a house.

Go read Helck you faggot

Even Capitalism?

Capitalism is a concept, it doesn't have a physical body.

Only until they realize it leads to the unlanded wealthy (merchants and the like) rallying the serfs and chopping your head off, then the aristocrats are very against it

This.

Capitalism provides too much freedom, economic opportunities, and even basic rights, for the nobility to keep the same sort of power they've always had. They either end up dead or eventually lose any real power aside from food production, which quickly becomes useless when you can trade for food or get it from colonies.

bump for Helck

Well if your looking for supernatural creature alternatives just start digging through old polytheistic mythologies. Look at greek, celtic, nordic, Indian (as in india, though native north American has some interesting bits too) etc old mythos and see what they have. You will find a hell of a lot more than just angels and demons, though for a lot of them they will tend to be a little more down to earth, which may not be what your looking for.

If you're that attached to Judeo-Christian cosmology, then none. By definitionanything that's supernatural but doesn't come from YHWH is a demon.

"Demonization" doesn't mean "treating someone like a demon". It refers to when a new religion becomes dominant in an area, and recategorizes the gods of the old religion to show that they're bad (in the case of Christianity, this category is called "demon"). Pan and Poseidon were demonized in that their signature attributes (goat legs and a trident) were transferred to Satan, meaning that anyone who worshipped a guy with a trident could be accused of worshipping Satan.

If there's an aspect of the old religion which is both well-loved and compatible with the new one, it gets retconned in.
In the case of Christianity this means it becomes a saint or an angel - examples include St. Josaphat (aka Buddha), St. Brigid (aka the Celtic fire goddess Brigid), and the classic image of God as a bearded man sitting on a cloud (aka Zeus).

Could you explain to me which inherent quality of capitalism 1)prevents serfdom 2)exclude nobles.
You can have aristocratic capitalism.

Because they all have monopolies on the mill's that they force their serfs to use and so make massive profits.