Hard Rock Western? Can it work?

Thanks to a recent kick of nostalgia and coming across pic related, I've been itching to create sort of "Hard Rock Western" setting. Inspired, but certainly not limited to: Ghost Rider, Longmire, Smokey and the Bandit. And maybe a bit of Mad Max and Knight Rider for spice.

I want to create something where you and a party of adventurers are running the roads, doing whatever you can to do right in the world. Whether you're running cargo, rolling for the law, or riding for vengeance, your job is simple: slam that hammer down, cause your time is short and the road goes on forever. There's gangs, and crooked lawmen, taverns and dive bars along the road to get news and jobs, and of course that CB radio can keep you in touch with your buddies.

There's weird things on the road at night, and always a danger of breaking down, but if you've got friends and allies, or a heart with a purpose, you'll keep a-rolling.

Some thread music, to establish a mood:
youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI
youtube.com/watch?v=jvUpxZajw8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc
youtube.com/watch?v=c06ttCG75Co
youtube.com/watch?v=2tN875A3Bj8
youtube.com/watch?v=lCnzCMBRO1o

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0tnrhX55mzI
youtube.com/watch?v=bljb77y4IkU
youtube.com/watch?v=aSsqavYIgNc
youtube.com/watch?v=MsObv4b-qYg
youtube.com/watch?v=0Ht2kL46f3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=O8VmoqBz9Vg
youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXILESzt0IA
youtube.com/watch?v=z20qKJEScr4
youtube.com/watch?v=mYkhNWIdra0
youtube.com/watch?v=yWabGQBnzKo
youtube.com/watch?v=mkjwSWW0rQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=F1xvoD-sP3k
youtube.com/watch?v=IO8vytUTO1E
youtube.com/watch?v=g4iKsbF4TnM
youtube.com/watch?v=MAs_BT-qPeU
youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk
youtube.com/watch?v=9XUX1dlHPZs
youtube.com/watch?v=yywGI1H_oyM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=0tnrhX55mzI

>That pic

GLORIOUS

Indeed.

I wanted more, knew I wasn't gonna get it, but said "fuck it, I'll MAKE more."

Is this a fluffing thread?

Because I'm down. Like a clown.

Ayup. Feel free to throw as much or little as ya like at me. I need some world building in my life.

Just go full Full Throttle.
Go as Full Throttle as you can.

>1:00 Am

I hope this thread is alive in the morning.

You going for a modern setting or a historical one? A fantasy setting would be neat, but require more work.

Oh my GOD.

I had forgotten the existence of this magnificence. Mea culpa.

Modern-ish, either After the End, or modern urban fantasy, to accent the Ghost Rider aesthetic.

And get the excuse to see a wizard in a trucker cap.

Postan more music to keep the thread alive.

Also, the subject of this song is a potential plot hook, because dammit it's fun: youtube.com/watch?v=bljb77y4IkU

What would work better as a mostly-villainous group of bikers? Dirtbikes, racing cycles or massive choppers?
Match the aesthetic, or oppose it?

>no motorhead
youtube.com/watch?v=aSsqavYIgNc

You don't deserve to run this game, user.

Depends on their function. Most biker gangs use choppers and touring bikes because they spend all day on them. Dirt and racing bikes aren't designed for it and would be uncomfortable as hell after a while.
If they're just riders for a regular gang, then dirt/racing bikes would be fine.

Probably matching the aesthetic. Nothing like a gang of burly bikers on the warpath to set the western idea.

Now, from here, what about the occult? Does Veeky Forums want to make this more in line with the pic and include the option to play the weird things out there, or should it played straight?

Racin' cycles are for nannies, to most folk's mind, but they're not unheard of.

But if you're a real Rider of the Road, you've got something with weight to go with the muscle. Big ol' choppers, roving bands of muscle car maniacs, anything built to ride hard and ride LOUD.

Oh sweet Jaysus, I should sudoku right now. How can I forget about my boy Lemmy...

Going full hog and incorporating fantasy elements would be awesome.

Skinwalker hitchhikers.

That is all.

The Road goes on Forever, remember. Lots of room for spooky stuff. Spirits of storm and fire and metal, demons of heat and smoke. Ghost convoys and bad bars. Never know what that cargo you're hauling cross country might be, after all.

Hooah, that's the spirit.

>Your truck is flagged down by a drifter. He seems pretty normal, but he looks hungry...

Could look at True Detective season 1 for some inspiration, specifically the biker bar scenes, drug trips, and the crazy hillbillies and their symbols.

So, let's talk fantasy elements. In a Western setting, men who come back from the dead to ride on aren't uncommon. But what about those folks who never seem to break down? Whose smokestacks flash eldritch colors, their engines roaring like beasts. They never carry cargo, seem to live in their vehicles. Wizards on the road.

Nobody's seen the trains run since it happened. Nobody's seen anyone come back from walking their tracks either.

>captcha is trains

>biker gang mixing vampire/werewolf blood into their drugs
>bigfoot trucker
>truckloads of zombies being sold on the black market/zombie prostitutes in truckstops
>lizardmen infiltrating the highway police
>southern gospel tent run by an actual angel

>Bigfoot trucker
>Callsign is "Bigfoot"
>He's a really chill guy, takes his coffee with cream, and his eggs over easy

there's some solid vidya on the subject, check out stuff like Brutal Legend or Death Skid Marks for some inspiration.

>southern gospel tent run by an actual angel

"I must declare today that I am a FRIEND of Jesus, YES, beloved I am! Come on all you tired, weakened road warriors, lay down your loads and ROLL in to His loving arms, Amen!"

>Now, driver, the good Lord has a task for you. You ready to be a Holy Roller, good buddy?
>That's a ten-four, Mr. Sunshine!
OR
>One big negatory, Halo, I ride by my damn self!

I just want my truck back.

>Eggs over easy

But he eats sourdough toast. He also hates honey, for some reason.

>You'll get it back if you can roll up those bikers that stole my dragon, Burton. Not before.

But the whistles always blow, and the trucks still stop at the tracks.

It's a Rule of The Road.

Those arms go down, the bells toll, and the trucks stop.

A couple minutes pass...

The bells stop, the arms raise. The trucks rumble back to life, and keep on haulin'

I saw someone try to jump the tracks while the arms were down. Nobody found the poor bastard's body afterwards.

>>southern gospel tent run by an actual angel
Orrr

>DEATH STALKS HUMANKIND LIKE A PREDATOR

>IT FOLLOWS YOU AROUND EVERY CORNER, LURKS IN EVERY DOORWAY

>I COULD SAVE YOU

>THE PIT AWAITS YOU, EVEN NOW THE FLAMES LICK AT YOUR HEELS

>BUT I COULD SAVE YOU

>WORSHIP ME

>GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES

>PERHAPS YOU WILL BE SPARED

>ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS WORSHIP ME

>THINK OF IT AS WAGERING ON THE AFTERLIFE

>THINK OF IT AS A SAFE BET

>WORSHIP ME, EVEN IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE

>WORSHIP ME!

"It was horrible. We, maybe five of us on one side, a whole mess o' bikers on the other when The Arms came down. I was checkin' my map when it happened, I was lucky. I never actually saw it.
All I heard was a chorus of shouting, and some horns. I looked up, and some damn fool in riding leathers ducked under The Arms. I looked away all quick-like, and the whole place went real quiet.
I didn't peek over my dash until the damned bells stop driving their spikes int' my skull, and when I did, all them bikers, the ones in front, at least, had their arms across their faces. As we rolled on, I checked my mirrors. One bike left behind.
I still cross those tracks every now and then, and that bike is still there. Sat in the middle of the road. I go around it. Everyone does. We all slow right on down, and remember the poor bastard who sought to remind us: Obey The Arms."

If you break down on the rail cross and hear those bells, just leave your rig. No cargo's worth whatever kind of hell awaits if you stick around. If you hear the whistle, it's too late.

Heard tell that there's a man who walks them tracks. Real skinny feller, wears a red suit and carries no luggage. Met a guy who said he saw him at a the rail cross, just standin there. Walked up to the guy's window and introduced himself as "Scratch".

Them halos mean well, but they's got no idea when to keep those big flappin' wings outta other people's business. Sometimes we gotta be subtle-like when we're takin' care o' things, but a halo don't know nothin' 'bout subtle. Most think they can solve everythin' with a sermon and a smile but once they move on to preach the good word somewhete else things fall right back to where they were--'cept we all got more guilt in our hearts for fallin' and that can make some desperate folks a lot worse.

That roamin' angel on the radio though is somethin' else. He always gets his goods delivered on time cause wherever he goes it's a bright'n'sunny day. Truckers try to tail Mr. Sunshine if their route'll let 'em, 'cause they know conditions on the road'll be perfect and drivers'll be a little more friendly in the lanes.

It's not a perfect fit, but the Silver John stories by Manly Wade Wellman could be a good source of inspiration.

He doesn't do much driving, and he plays folk rather than rock, but he's been to some real strange places and seen some real strange things.

youtube.com/watch?v=MsObv4b-qYg

youtube.com/watch?v=0Ht2kL46f3Q

Welp. Good thing I'm in a '67 Impala, then.

youtube.com/watch?v=O8VmoqBz9Vg

youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXILESzt0IA

youtube.com/watch?v=z20qKJEScr4

oh sweet god, I didn't know I wanted this until now.

Some good music to help bump thread

youtube.com/watch?v=mYkhNWIdra0
youtube.com/watch?v=yWabGQBnzKo
youtube.com/watch?v=mkjwSWW0rQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=F1xvoD-sP3k
>Music starts at 0:40 if you want to skip the intro.
youtube.com/watch?v=IO8vytUTO1E

Every time somebody brings these guys up, all I can think of it the /k/ommando story where he anally fucks a male skinwalker.

Folk don't talk much about 'em, but it's well known you stay away from the cities. Stick to towns and truckstops if you gotta rest, but stay clear away from any exit with a population counter higher than 10,000 if you know what's good for you.

I've heard tell by some braver than me who ventured into Atlanta thinkin' they could siphon some fuel from the no-go areas in the metro area. They didn't even make it to the city limits before their hair started standin' on end. Said the sky turnt dark at noon and even with their brights on couldn't see more'n a few feet infront of them. Strange things in the shadows, looked a bit like men but wrong. They figured it was them things makin' all the howlin' they heard. Turned tail and booked it before they even made it off the turnpike.

Now, I ain't no historian or nothin', but most folks are of the mind that whatever happened before The Road happened there, in them big cities. Don't know what it was, but I damn sure know I ain't gonna be the one to find out.

bump with more road tunes
youtube.com/watch?v=g4iKsbF4TnM
youtube.com/watch?v=MAs_BT-qPeU
youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk
youtube.com/watch?v=9XUX1dlHPZs

What system would this use? Deadlands maybe?

Sister system for pic related?

Tell me more

Could be.

Ten-four, good buddy, but I heard tell it ain't jess them cities that have gone all twisted, neither. I was three days to the left coast on a double-trailer rig, riding pace with the convoy, when up pulls my pal Big Red, rolling bat-from-hell the other way.
Now, Big Red ain't been afeared of nothin' since the day he could put foot to the pedal, but he told me that what had happened to him night 'fore turned his hair plum white. He got up on the CB with me, frighted clear to death and said, "Little Dog, if you love Jesus and that that scrawny hide of yours, never, EVER get caught off the Road. There'll be signs and suchlike offering a quicker route, but DON'T. Things…"

I never saw Big Red again. His rig was found in downtown Denver a couple weeks ago, burnt out of gas and the horn still blowing. No sign of Red.

ah 'ear hes a gambling man, ana bit of a museician too.

It truly is GLORIOUS!

Sauce?

Ghost Rider volume 6 #33, like Google says.

Maybe incorporate the Route Zero in it from Kentucky Route Zero? An underground road that seems to travel in a circle forever but by going in sequences of counterclockwise and clockwise you could get where you're going?
Eg. Go clockwise at the feather, then turn around at the Television, then turn around again at the river and drive until you're there

Surprised nobody's posted this yet

Maybe place it in "The 51st State"? A made up state that "borders" a bunch of midwestern states thar you can only get to if someone shows you the way? That way we can get people in towns who see nothing wrong with truckers with flaming skulls who come into a diner and order a cold coffee

But since I'm such a nice guy, I'll storytime the issue

PLS keep it going. I love it already.

I guess the message to take away from this is that OP should just run a Ghost Rider Corps game where everybody is a Ghost Rider.

This is the most metal thing I've ever seen.

That's it, hope everybody enjoyed it

I haven't been keeping up, so this is the first time I've read this issue.

Thank you

Thanks man. Never got into Ghost Rider, but I'm kind of regretting that now.

Always thought ghost rider was dumb until this thread. Then again my only knowledge was knowing that Cage Rider was a movie.

Gonna have to read these.

Weird War II?

>check my trips, /pol/

Nailed it.

Yup that's it.

GR is great all around, but my personal favorite is Ghost Rider 2099. It was made during Marvel's cash-in on the cyberpunk craze of the early 1990s as a companion title to Spider-Man 2099, Punisher 2099, and Doom 2099 (and later X-Men, Hulk, and a bunch of others), but the first few issues are a lot of fun. The artist went on to become a big deal.

>Some thread music, to establish a mood:
>no ghoultown

Dude...

youtube.com/watch?v=yywGI1H_oyM

SJW's pathetic self perception

Tanks are literally a Phallus on tracks. Sjws would never subscribe to something so awesome

Maybe they will make an exception if it is a red army tank

So we've established the mood, and have a decent number of posters.

So let us begin fluffing brothers. Here's some of my ideas.

>Setting name: Deadbeat Deados (Really bad name, it was just the first thing that came to mind.)

>Things we should openly steal from for inspiration: Dresden Files, Ghost Rider/Mystic Marvel, urban legends, etc

>Time period, late 80's
>Setting focus is almost entirely American, much like fallout, as the setting relies heavily on Americana. If any foreignanons can provide details on other countries equivalent that would be awesome.

>Monsters are real. The Minotaur serving your drink is most likely a descendant of Greek immigrants. The guy behind the 7/11 counter is a Garuda, nice guy. Although rare and pretty much treated like blacks in Mississippi, they are present.

>Ghost Rider like characters are present in the form of Revenants or Revs, undying badasses that only remain on the mortal plane of existence due to some unfinished business/Selling their soul to a higher/Lower power.

Can crossroads devils be a thing? Ranging from lesser demons up to Old Scratch himself?
>Foolish is the traveler who meets a well dressed gentleman walking down the road at night, selling the answer for all life's ills at a low, low price, and stops to listen.

I assume radio is a thing because trucks, which leads to a bunch of really obvious plot hooks/random encounters/minor characters.

>radio picks up ghost
>radio picks up broadcast from past/future
>radio station with no physical location that can only be picked up during the full moon/in winter/by the pure of heart
>actual physical radio station in an actual physical location but it's run by a mummy or something