Rangers, Unite!

Has your character ever fused with another one? How did it go?

>Has your character ever fused with another one?
No
>How did it go?
N/A

only with your mum

>edo...uardu....

Well, fused with an NPC. It didn't go well.

What systems even have rules for that?

I think Mutants and Masterminds 3E does, in one of the power profiles.
I tried to make house rules for in in 2E, even though I assumed they'd never be used. I think 3E's ruling ended up being similar to my own.

Damn now I'm curious, but I don't know the system at all. Gimmie a rundown? Might be handy for adapting the idea to other systems.

Basically, it's a summon power, with some modifiers. One of the modifiers is that all summoners have to be present for the power to work. Another one is that all of the summoners disappear while the power is in effect. There's also a feedback modifier, so the summoners take the same damage as the summoned creature. The point cost for the power is divided up among each of the characters. What the rules neglect to mention, though, is how the players control the thing.

You'd want to stat out any fusion forms in advance. It's meant for campaigns in the vein of Voltron or Captain Planet or such.

2e had the Gestalt power in its core. 3e does as well, but it's built "backwards."

The fused being is statted first, then the components.

Ohhhh yeah, I forgot about the Gestalt power.
I never really liked it. Because it was built backwards.

I once had a Dwarf engage in a fusion with multiple NPCs and a suit of magic armour during the climax of an arc in a weird and wonderful D&D game.

My Dwarven Warblade fused with his Earth Elemental companion, a Ruby shard containing the essence of his lost wife and his armour, which was actually an Elemental of Invulnerability in the conceptual plane, warped into armour in this plane of existence. All of them together made me Large sized, gave me something like thirty strength and a metric ton of HP. It also only barely kept me relevant given the magic users on my team, but I still enjoyed it.

It sounds broken, desu.

Let's say you have two 12th level fighters, and they fuse, do you get a single 24th level fighter? A 18th level fighter because it makes more sense?

If it's by DBZ standards, fusion is fucking overpowered; because the fusion ends up being more than a sum of the parts.

.....I did not type that word, 'desu'. What the heck?

Well, don't forget about action economy...

desu -> desu

Err...
t b h -> desu

Way to forget the point you're trying to make, me.

Probably best way to d&d fusion is to take both characters, give them access to both sets of class features, sum up their HP and add together the highest of each of their stats plus one half of the lesser. They are otherwise treated as a character at the highest of their two levels.

Still questionable balance, but it's simple enough.

I had a lycanthrope and a wizard try to combine, and it was hilarious with the end results.

Sort of, a flesh slime managed to eat two of my party before the wizard charmed it into stopping. They where too far gone and looked like something out of "The Thing", but where both alive. Tried to make it work, even managed to get a few intimidations, but one slit their wrists after seeing their reflection one too many times, bleed the other out.

You can't just say the results were hilarious, and then not share those results man.

Jesus christ how horrifying.

Well, it's sorta long,but I'll greentext it.

>be DM for a 3.5 group, first campaign and kinda new.
>Decide to be very liberal with magic, semi-freeform but roll a d20+int if you fuck up badly or overdue it.
>wizard+lycanthrope decide to preform SCIENCE!
>wizard critfails free-form magic (which I think was that he wanted the lycanthrope's soul to become lawful good)
>lycanthrope rolls will
>nat 1
>lycanthrope and wizard combine into the "Wizardthrope"
>lycanthrope can now shoot fireballs from his mouth
>ohfuckno.jpg
>lycanthrope's first spell is getting high
>lycanthrope crit-fails on getting high
>goes into a blood-frenzy
>nat 20 on eating some french faggot merchant
>lycanthrope realizes eating people is fun
>becomes an obese fuck while the other players try to evacuate the rest of the kingdom like a nuclear blast zone
>campaign ends and the lycanthrope basically has slaves which keeps him obese after eating essentially fucking italy
>he's also high as fuck.
Right now my next campaign is going to basically resolve around trying to defeat an obese wizardthrope, who is at god-power.
gg no re party

kinda
>party attacked by assimilative blob(s)
>blob catches male human fighter
>begins absorbing him
>female elf mage trys to save him
>also gets caught
>both mostly absorbed
>healer and mage try to heal/reverse absorbtion at the same time.
>end up fusing the two with blob bits into human/elf hermaphrodite with slime powers.( I let them decide this was a terrible idea)
>ruled they had a shared body seperate souls/ mind.
as you can imagine it turn pretty magical realm after that