/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Naga (or Snake) tribal edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Formatting Guide
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/
photojoiner.net/
fotor.com/features/photo-stitch.html

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!GRYU2IqC!SF2oDBODeSEvVLMYLIs1UAAiwM1l7n6G_GZY9OOHAIc
mega.nz/#!ScB1SKja!PU3KuxK251ciiqMnQObRKmwKT0HgWQ8gHK1w_wwnAUk
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Substance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know how I feel about a creature that dies if nothing else is on your field.

Probably the same as i feel about a green artifact that makes you pay life.

Ok. A bit of tinkering done. Trying to get Sunrise Dancer to actually be worth a Rare.

That and finally finding even a vaguely white-coloured SFW lamia.

>Trying to get Sunrise Dancer to actually be worth a Rare.
Tell me the bare minimum things you want to have with Sunrise Dancer. Mana cost, P/T, ability, all of it.

>Fat ass (General theme with the lamias)
>Red
>4CMC (Fit with the cycle)
>Good place to just dump mana you've got left over.

That's the theme I've been going with all of them.

Well, I can see why you're having trouble. Big butts in Red isn't the most common occurrence. I'm thinking of some kind of P/T switching or flowstone effect. Maybe something like
>1R: ~ gets +2/-1 until end of turn.

The concern I have with that is that +2/-1 for 1R is worse than just going 'Has firebreathing'.

My usual idea of 'Give it haste' doesn't really work on an expensive firebreather as you have no mana to make it work and red hasn't got too many other evergreens.

>Naga is a very rarely used subtype
Only because it was first used in KTK block.

Maybe make it a fat pinger? Like
XXR: ~ does X damage to target creature (or player)?

Finally finished these, I think.

Draconic Devotee
>Sacrifice Draconic Devotee:...

Then you can't get mana when you devour it.

>Alara? What's that?

I feel like Sandsteppe Survivalist is super easy to break.

It, not him, on Dr. Banner, and Hulk should read "when this creature transforms into Hulk, Breaker of Worlds..." as transforming doesn't cause the creature to leave the battlefield.

You know unless you're trying for snake tribal, you could just make them Lamia creatures. It's an official creature type, even though there's only one right now...

thanks

Fixed version

>If a source would deal damage to enchanted permanent, it deals that much damage plus 1 to that permanent instead.

That's way too much scry each turn.

That's what I thought too, but the response that I got before didn't mention it. Scry 1?

Undying creature + any sac effect

Suggestions for fixes? "Activate this ability only once each turn"?

I've seen high-resolution cards on here a number of times. How do you make Magic Set Editor do higher resolutions? It's a different template right? Or do they not even use MSE?

It's a different template, but you'll need someone to give it to you as it's not supported.

The "When" needs to be capitalized, dude.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Sliverbump.

Can I has high res template?

Also, that sliver is awesome. Makes sliver decks able to run stuff other than slivers :D

Almost double trips ;_;
Silverbump#2.

Sure, here:
>Hi-res M8
mega.nz/#!GRYU2IqC!SF2oDBODeSEvVLMYLIs1UAAiwM1l7n6G_GZY9OOHAIc

>Hi-res PW's
mega.nz/#!ScB1SKja!PU3KuxK251ciiqMnQObRKmwKT0HgWQ8gHK1w_wwnAUk

I was working on a 4walker hi-res, but I'm hopeless at photoshop and got it done only halfways.

You cared enough to open the character map to get Æ, but not enough to fix changeling's reminder text?

While these are nice, and I love the idea of cycle filling, it sucks that only the two real cards feature keywords. Yours are cool, but would be more in line if they were each from seemingly different worlds with an in-set keyword.

I like it, but I dont know if its good.

Where can I see all of your CO cards? Is the set playable in a cube yet?

Sorry to keep bugging you, but how do you zoom out? Is there a setting in MSE somewhere?

Did you even try to look through menus? Christ, how does anybody get anything done anymore?

Edit -> Preferences -> Figure it out from there or there's no hope for you

Character map? Oh no, I don't even know how to open it; I just know it's 0198. I also know 0208! :3

It's an old/abandoned card though, and didn't know they updated the reminder, will change it.

Ajor#1 has memory issues, should simplify.

Ajor#2
+2 Good, but too good for a hybrid, 4cmc, easy to transform card.
-3 Ehhh. It's good, but I don't like that kind of permanency.
-10 Underwhelming when compared to the others, but it's this card's best bit. Keep this, rework the rest.

>Ixi
The first bit makes me angry, other abilities are good, but it should be able to swing.

>Cass
This is black. All of this is black.

>Gordu
I'd make it have equal P/T.
Quite love this card, feels like a card of days past, a la Force of Nature and the like.

Please credit the artists, great choice of artwork on the cards.

The last time I found the setting myself for something in MSE it took me like half an hour and then had to search google and forums and stuff. Figured I'd just ask this time instead of wasting all that time. Thanks for the help BTW.

Thanks for the review, i'll try to rework them.

How broken are these?

That second ability does NOT feel white at all

>Rak Ugar
Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, exile that creature. Search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that creature and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.

>Deadlands
You put charge counters, the ability doesn't need to specify creatures on the battlefield and its number of counters not amount

>Genesis Engine
Counters need a name. You should also consider just modeling it after scapeshift.

I'm not normally a fan of Kazy or his cards, but in his defense, it's a balance effect, and it is white. The card itself is busted as fuck though; 4 mana for a fat-bottomed double striker that can wipe out two permanents a turn? I mean I dunno what his kitchen table looks like but he does this kind of shit all the time. At least make it heavy in the white mana dude, fuck's sake.

I do, I do. I find it much easier to tone down, than 'tone up'; and on top of that, I have a history of minmaxing RPG games. It's what I'm used to.

I'll lower it's Alena's T.

Also, especially because you don't usually like my cards, would you like to playtest my set?
I value feedback, even when many times it may not seem like that.

Did you finish making the file for your set?

>If a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn would die, exile it instead. Search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with the same name as that creature and exile those cards, then that player shuffles his or her library.

>At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put a charge counter on ~.
>All creatures get -1/-1 for each charge counter on ~.

>Sacrifice another permanent: Put a [countername] counter on ~.
>At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has ten or more [countername] counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, search your library for up to ten permanent cards and put them onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

You don't "place" counters on things, you "put" them on. Come on senpai.

Shouldn't Gordu, Wandering Golem be, you know, a Golem? Otherwise, I agree with . Although I understand why Ixi has no power.

Dinking around with a new mechanic. I really like Auras, and think that they need something to distinguish them more from Equipment, besides being basically worse. Totem Armor was a good step in that direction, and I thought about using it, but I then thought "well this is a custom set, so shouldn't I make a custom mechanic?" So I thought about it for a bit, and then thought how well-received cards tend to be that replace themselves, like Doomed Traveler, and so I thought that maybe that could be what Auras could do; you "get something back" when they go to the yard, so it doesn't feel like you're always getting 2 for 1ed. And since Totem Armor has a lock down on "regen" type effects that save the permanent they are enchanting, I thought a "reshape" effect that gives you a new Aura card could be fun. It means you might actually want to draft Auras, and you can thin your deck with it a little while getting some value out of an enchanted creature getting killed. Thoughts? At first I was going to have it do like Squadron Hawk and look for itself, but that means drafting more than one copy of any Aura, and that it'd suck on higher rarity cards. So I made it more flexible. Sure you can theoretically have a one-mana Aura grab you a six mana Aura but you still gotta be able to cast it or get it onto the field somehow, so at least initially it doesn't seem busted, so I don't think I need to do the Soulshift thing with it, but let me know if you think otherwise.

It also has the benefit of fitting in with the set's theme of "get something for losing something", so that's a nice flavor bonus.

Oops, needs to reveal that Aura, but you get the idea.

Bleh. New Superman because the last design didn't do too well. Trying to go for the idea of Superman is a sort of beacon of hope for others. Probably fucked it up. Ignore the art, it's just placeholder art.

>the graveyard
This needs to be changed to specify any graveyard, or the owner's graveyard. This in turn determines if the controller gets the tutor, or the owner.

>When this {if is_creature(card.super_type) then "creature dies" else "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield"}, you may search your library for an Aura card and reveal it. If you do, put the revealed card into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Not it wouldn't it always goes into its owner's graveyard. That it specifies you, means that the controller of the aura searches.

>When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield
>When this permanent is put into your graveyard from the battlefield
See the difference?

I noticed it needs to shuffle as well. I think since you can't put things into your library, graveyard, and hand that you don't own, I don't need to specify that, but I do need to specify that the Aura's owner tutors, yeah

>Supes giving an anthem
Hm. Not a bad idea, honestly. I almost want to suggest trying giving him vigilance (i know, i know) and a tap ability that gives another creature you control hexproof UEOT. That way he can "save" people but he can't be everywhere at once (yes I was thinking of Pa Kent dying when I thought of this just now). I dunno. Some of these heroes are just gonna be tough nuts to crack.

Actually hm. If Boon is only ever going to be on beneficial auras, I wouldn't need to specify the controller but, but... that also means I can't use it on detrimental auras. So maybe I should specify owner tutors, and change the name to something that doesn't make it sound like it only belongs on beneficial stuff.

I'd do it like transmute, where you pay 3 mana and exile it from your graveyard to tutor an aura. As is, a lot of the value would be in replacing itself, rather than the aura's abilities.

and shuffle

It's alright, but nothing particularly Superman about it. Or green really.

If the second one was the case, nobody would search if you controlled but didn't own it.

>Aura's owner tutors
I would actually suggest making the controller tutor, instead of the owner. It just feels cleaner to me that way. Actually, allow me to provide you with a template, because your reminder text has a few things wrong.
>When this [permanent/Aura] is put into [a/your] graveyard from the battlefield, you may search your library for an Aura card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
I think this gets the point across well enough. First, I want you to think about what cards you'll put this on. Will it be cards of all types, or just Auras? Second, the second part where I give you multiple choices is very important. By specifying "a" graveyard, the effect works for the controller. By specifying "your" graveyard, the effect works for the owner.

>transmute
The reason I didn't do this is basically pic related. It'd be a shitty choice sometimes, and while choice is good, something that's supposed to be a benefit turning into a hard choice isn't very enjoyable.

Oh shit, you're right. It would be something like
>its owner's graveyard from the battlefield
My bad.

>Some of these heroes are just gonna be tough nuts to crack.
I've noticed.

>It's alright, but nothing particularly Superman about it. Or green really.
So, more or less like my last idea. Fuck.

>controller tutor
This either limits me to purely beneficial Auras, or makes it feel shitty for the Aura's owner when their opponent gets a free tutor. If I do it that the owner always gets the tutor, as I said, I can do detrimental Auras too, like Dead Weight or Stab Wound. I'd just need to rename it.

also I think I caught all the mistakes in the wording, it just took me three posts to do so.

You still control auras even if you attach them to an opponent's permanents.

Wow. Gimme another beer, I'm not retarded enough yet. You're right, my bad. Whew.

Still might want to rename it though.

Every time I see this picture I think of Biollante. It's an interesting card... isn't there a green one that kinda does this sort of thing too? Something Cocoon?

>Dash on an Aura
Well fuck you too user; teach you to be more clever than me. So jellymad I didn't ever think of this; I love Dash too.

This would be a good way to do Licids in the future.

Licids AND Shadow? Well, you're one for throwbacks.

>Well fuck you too user
Wow, I really feel sorry for you. That's probably the third or fourth time I've seen that concept.

Well la tee freakin' da Mr. Cleverman.

>ring
Works/10. It seems like something that'd "make" a basic hero at least. Doesn't need to be flashy.

I was just saying that I've seen the concept before. Though now I have to ask you if you're starting to think about using it for your Auras.

Maybe. Part of me wonders if it's a better idea than this whole Boon business, but I want things to go to the yard in this set so maybe not. Still, it's something to think about for future sets, if I remember that is.

Also I renamed Boon to Lore. It fits a bit better with the set flavor and sounds less odd when it's on detrimental Auras. I also locked it to the Aura type so it won't be popping up on any creatures or anything.

>spider-bot
I like this version of it, actually. The fact that you get the peep on attack, not on damage, makes it pretty close to worth the cost, especially since it has evasion.

I'm not 100 percent sure noon dancer's ability works within the rules. In any case, I think it'd be slightly more flavorful in white if it was "prevent all combat damage target unblocked attacking creature would deal this turn"

Unfortunately, this means I must now use this link again.

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Substance

Please read that page. But if you don't, the TL;DR is that saccing on end step for Auras is a tricky, confusing business. Make a new keyword for Auras that moves saccing to the cleanup step instead.

>Spider-Bot
Cool, thanks. Oh, and thanks for what you said about the Ring too. Not going for anything flashy with either card, just something that works. Sometimes focusing on simpler things helps when I hit a roadblock like Supes.

Conditional white removal that makes both players equal?

I think it works.

>I'm not 100 percent sure noon dancer's ability works within the rules.

Actually, there is a spell with that very effect. Curtain of Light.

Works fine, though it does absolutely nothing to stop a trampler from wrecking your shit.

He's trying to use this effect. That said, he does have a few things to correct with his wording. (The Oracle text of this card is much more technical and complex than the print seen here.)

>>
OK, not that much more technical. I'm too tired for this. But yes, as points out, Tramplers will ruin your day.

>Noon Dancer
He should use Trap Runner's errata.

[T]: Target unblocked attacking creature becomes blocked. Activate this ability only during combat after blockers are declared. (This ability works on creatures that can't be blocked.)

Making my appearance in the new thread. Changed Dismantle's wording to be more open-ended. Not sure if I'm gonna do Fortifications or not, but this seemed like a good idea to start with. Espionage is an idea, but I don't think I like it. Still would rather have black's mechanic be something to do with Pollution (maybe some sort of land interaction, making fortifications an interesting possibility again). As for the white guys, just a thematic idea I had.

Repeatable tutoring is a little broken - I don't think there's ever been a keyword that let's you search up your stuff, and I think to properly balance it you'd need the boon cards to be more costed than you'd like. I think this card would be better as 1W with boon being draw a card instead of tutoring.

Ah, for if I try to use Dash. So actually making a new keyword would be better, if I intended on doing so, since that would allow any +N/+N Auras to keep the creatures they are attached to alive through SBAs before the cleanup step. Gotcha. So it's either do the new keyword, or confuse a TON of players who might be even worse at the rules than me. I think for now I'll err on the side of "I don't trust myself and the set likes Lore better anyway" and stash AuraDash for a rainy day. Maybe if I ever do an Enchantment set; something like Theros but obviously not a return to such.

I really, really like this idea for dash on an aura. This version of it might be overpowered but tweak the mana on it...

Transmute lets you do what I am doing already, mine's just narrower, and it's only on death instead of at your leisure so I made it cheaper. I dunno if it's any more busted than Squadron Hawks, which was why I mentioned it initially. If it let you tutor for anything I might be inclined to agree with you more.

Since everyone's been talking about Transmute.

Well, lord knows auras have never been OP before, so there might be room for this and I'm just being pessimistic.

I think MaRo might say that it decreases variance too much, though? At least if it's a keyword/theme of a set. Magic is great because every game is partially different beause Of the draw, they don't print a ton of tutors because that's a critical part of the game, even if the tutoring effect itself isn't broken.

I like the effect as a one-off, or a cycle, but as a keyword I'm somewhat skeptical.

I like the black Rigger only "copycatting" other Contraption assemblage; conveys black's "envy" trait pretty well. Same with Espionage, though it doesn't reward you at all for being ahead so that could feel a bit bad at times. Dismantle... I dunno how I feel about it. It could play well in the right set, but it'd be very dependent on the set environment.

On second thought, I guess the most similar mechanic would be rebels, which I think was generally considered successful (or anyway, successful enough to bring back in time spiral). I can't remember any of the designers faulting the mechanic for reducing variance in gameplay, anyway.

I also understand that they don't want a lot of tutoring because it leads to a lot of shuffling, which can delay the game. You did mention cycles, and I think you're on to something, so most likely what will happen is each color getting a common Aura that does it, then each multicolor pair getting one at uncommon most likely, to keep it as something you can draft around but prevent it from being a full-on archetype. I mostly just want to make Auras not feel so crummy all the time. The only other way is to push the hell out of them but all that does is demand removal and lead to other crap. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Making a card that gives any card in your hand Transmute is pretty decent, but it also becomes a 2 for 1, so I almost wonder if it should cantrip? I dunno.

I still need to decide on the final art for this card.

Let me just point out that in - what was the set, Mercadian Masques? - there was a Mercenary vs. Rebel theme, and the two had similar, but different, mechanics. And Maro said that the theme failed because, between the two, the Rebel mechanic was objectively better than the Mercenary mechanic.

Well, you don't have to discard a card, you could use mana.

This feels like a less useful Library of Leng.