MTG lore: Writefriends and Flakes Edition

Previously on...THE FLAKE THREAD:

Storrrryyyyytiiiiiiime

Some people got around to writing stories. Sparks were argued about again. There were skellingtons, krakens, cephalids, flake cards, and some more things. Some were bad, some were GLORIOUS. Someone's a Tolkien fag. Joke flakes. You will never fuck smoking hot coma wife. Urza is autistic.

And lots of stories:
William keeps a diary.
Gaia makes me feels
Zix is an adorable 'tard.
Anna has amnesia.
Selenra feels the sword love.
>I, DIOMEDES, invite her to join myself and Tien Sheng in battle!

And lastly:

>>OBNOXIOUS PALADINS GALORE
>Kolya, Acervus, Ariadne, Cadros and Deka.
>>THE WORST ROBIN HOODS
>Amund, Sonia, Albin, Ka'Koarm and Zenri.
>>LEAGUE OF HAPLESS ADVENTURERS
>Balbus, Anna, Symon, Corvin and Astera.
>>MULTIVERSAL WRESTLING FEDERATION
>Rakkor, Diomedes, Dyna and Ygraine (on Segovia).
>>THRILLMASTERS EXTRAORDINAIRE
>Ginger, Cala, Tomiko and Cianne.
>>CORPSEFUCKER'S COVEN
>Vronak, Wrotok, Argyle, Joth and Gwendolyn.
>>LORDS OF THAT WHICH MAKES A BLADE SHARP
>Azof, Skotonos, Irriad, Ivander, Kaina
>>INTERPLANARY MONSTER POLICE SQUAD
>Izari, Iohannes, Amund, Huija

Previous Thread:
LET THE AUTISM INCREASE!!!

Four-colored flake. Whatcha all think?

>Which is the most boring snowflake?

>Which is the most Mary Sue snowflake?

>Which is the most Tumblr snowflake?

>Which is the most off-color snowflake?

>Which is the edgiest snowflake?

>Which is the most lore-shattering snowflake?

>Which is the most magical realm snowflake?

>Which is the most powerful snowflake?

>Which is the sexiest snowflake?

>NEW CATEGORY. Which is the best written snowflake?

>Favorite snowflake?

>Least favorite snowflake?

hey look, it's Ajani lite*

most lore shattering is Unit IV
>can't have a spark if you're compleated

best written is a tossup between Zix and Gaia. Zix is funny, but Gaia is feels

A tally of all by colour (I added Iohannes to this list, cuz he's yet to be added to the OP pic)

White: 3
Blue: 3
Black: 7
Red: 2
Green: 3

W/U: 3
B/W: 5
U/B: 5
U/R: 5
B/R: 2
B/G: 4
R/G: 2
W/R: 5
G/W: 5
G/U: 3

W/U/B: 2
W/B/G: 1
U/B/R: 3
U/R/W: 3
B/R/G: 1
B/G/U: 3
R/G/W: 1
R/W/B: 1
G/W/U: 1
G/U/R: 4

W/U/B/R/G: 2
Colorless: 2

Aw yeah, worst robin hood get

Tell me about it. They Gaia story almost had me shed a tear at the end (I could feel it welling up). Had I legitimately chuckle during Zix's story. I like both of them.

Cromat's a legendary illusion that doesn't have any lore.

That list of questions is meant to be about highlighting the worst snowflakes, not rewarding the better one (because all snowflakes are either shit or more shit, none are capable of being good).

>Which is the most boring snowflake?

>Which is the most Mary Sue snowflake?

>Which is the most Tumblr snowflake?

>Which is the most off-color snowflake?

>Which is the edgiest snowflake?

>Which is the most lore-shattering snowflake?

>Which is the most magical realm snowflake?

>Which is the most overpowered snowflake?

>Which is the sluttiest snowflake?

>Which is the worst written snowflake?

>Which is the snowflake with the most obnoxious creator?

>Which is your least favorite snowflake?

But now, because all snowflakes are just as good/bad as one another, Cromat is Dominaria's ASHAAAAAYAAAAAAA, and every plane has a Cromat, because this chucklefuck says so!
Not sure what the fuck happens if he goes to Zendikar - does he get ASHAAAAYAAAAA and start saying 'oh' a lot, or does ASHAAAAAYAAAAA start eating polar bears?

>oh

And here is this. Again.

can we put our own for all?

Oh.

Sure.

Is there a difference between this thing and Ashaya? Aside from the fact that this is an Avatar and Ashaya is an elemental, they both have an important impact on Zendikar.

If we're reposting our own to get them in the masterpost, here's Iohannes.

No one really knows what the Souls are. They're weird representations of various planes and don't really have any lore behind them. They're just homages to the previous planes visited over the last half-decade.

Sea hitler reporting in

Four colors really screws with the formatting on the snowstorm. It doesn't fit in the color slot, which only allows for up to three colors and the origin symbol.

Is an acceptable alternative?

Is that what Avatars are?
Perfected concepts given shape?

>This tells me that flake user is updating the sheet
Thank you flake user! I appreciate all of your hard work!

I'll suc ur dic

That totally works.

Thank You Based Flakesheet user.

That is true. But in the end, like Cromat, the Souls so far have absolutely no lore relevance.

Oh.

Who else /thrillmaster/ here?
I'm thinking about updating Cianne's sheet to be less "too many words about what happened to her" and include more personality, and update spells used to be less laser focused on the deck that inspired her.

Not going to lie I would like to I dunno... come up with some lore for them.

I'd image it would still look like Cromat and act like Ashaya.

I still really like this walker, she's one of my favorites.

Then do it like Cromat-user made Cromat's lore.

I don't think it's necessary, but I assume it makes things easier for whoever handles it.

Hell, make a planeswalker that straight up made the avatars himself. Like, for each plane he visited, he spend a long time there and crafted an avatar that took aspect of the plane and its inhabitants. Shit could be very flavorful.

Each flakesheet is saved as they're posted. Reposting does nothing.

Was meant to link to

Aha, my bad then.

Oh, thanks. I've enjoyed writing her so far.

Cromat user..... makes no sense.

Isn't making avatars the thing that Ajani is good at doing?

Considering that Cromat-user is Vronak-user, no wonder.

I feel like you could draw a lot from Sorin and Avacyn with this. It'd be *very* old walker, though. But that could be interesting in its own right, a planeswalker whose power has declined massively since the mending, with these (mostly) intensely loyal super-beings protecting a bunch of planes for you.

Hey user! I really liked your story last thread, I'm a sucker for slice-of-lifers.

Is he? Oh.

I know Golgari is pretty over-represented, but I made one anyway.

Go and play with Ashaya, Nissa. You're too young to post on a ravnican graffiti imageboard.

I'd also be interested in making a walker who interacted with the.... perfected essence of their plane before their spark ignited. They just seem neat.

Just remember, when Sorin created Avacyn as a permenant that doesn't unsummon, it took a lot out of Sorin. It weakened him to the point that he couldn't do anything for quite a long while.

Oh.

I like her! Think she'd be a good rival student for Zix, or maybe someone more orderly.

I think that idea just reinforces my 'oldwalker' principle. It'd have to be a walker who'd been around a long, long time.

Thanks, the kind words are appreciated, encourages me to write more in the future.

Not everything needs to be because of planeswalkers.

Someone in a previous thread had a template to make custom planes.

I'm shit at making characters, but I love making lands. Does anyone have that template so I can start cranking out planes?

honestly the idea of oldwalkers making the Avatars makes me go "eeeeehhh."

I can't remember exactly how angels worked, but when it was announced that angels are created and can't be planeswalkers it actually really bothered me that they were shoehorning planeswalkers into being so important that they're responsible for EVERYTHING

(I can't remember if planeswalkers actually made angels, but that's besides the point)

Sure, I just thought the discussion was about a planeswalker idea in the first place. There are plenty of beings more powerful than planeswalkers, especially post-mending.

Will user here, I'm always open to including more people. It's kind of stupid to make somrthing like this into a secret club clique thing.

Personally, I'm thinking of including Will into my own storyline as one of my flake's many apprentices.

Someone still needs to write about their flake's favorite realm being invaded by the myr flake.

This is good.

Include other people's flakes in your own stories, guys. This is why we're amassing flakes.

Oh? Who is your flake?

Go for it. Dude's learns as much as he can from everybody. Hell, I imagine he teaches somebody with great potential a little spell, comes bck in fifty years when they're better than him, and comes to learn pretty often.

Fuck off, Nissa.

Planeswalkers didn't make all angels, or most angels, or even a significant number of angels.
Just Avacyn and the angels of Serra's Realm were planeswaker-created.
Angels being unable to be planeswalkers is unrelated, and due to them being made of mana - they're essentially white elementals that happen to take the form of winged women.

that actually makes me feel a lot better about the Angels-can't-be-walkers thing.

I mean it still feels weird that they can't develop sparks, but at least that's not another thing chalked up to "muh planeswalkers" instead of an actual good reason

What about Devils, or Wyrms?

So far, we're not aware of any sapient wurms and as far as we're aware, most devils and imps are just lesser forms of demons for red.

You can use my flake, saint claus, if you want to

Neither can demons, 99% of elementals (only known exception is lorwyn's flamekin), constructs, undead, or in general anything that isn't born.
For devils, it depends on the plane - if they're something that's born they can, if they're something that kinda spawns into existence fully formed they can't. IIRC, Ravnican devils are the former, while Innistradi devils are the latter. They also kind of need to be sapient and I have no idea how smart they're actually supposed to be.
As for the second, it depends on what you mean. If you mean 'a fancy way of saying dragon', then yes, as long as it's a sapient dragon and not a feral one. If you mean 'the creature type wurm', then no, because they're ALL nonsapient on known planes - of course, that doesn't stop you from making a plane where the giant serpentine monsters are fully capable of humanoid-level thought and having a wurm walker be from there.

Being a rival magician to another 'walker sounds fun for her. I'm terrible at actually integrating these planeswalkers into stories with others, so I'm gunna make an effort with her.
I'm definitely gunna read those Zix writings when I'm at an actual computer. Maaaaaybe try my rusty hand at writing something too.

I share the same sentiment but for a different reason. I like the avatars being emergent from a plane because it highlights the magic inherent to these planes, which is a part of mtg and fantasy landscapes in general that I adore. Being coaxed out of the plane's magic by a 'walker isn't as cool to me as emerging on their own.

Flamekin aren't strictly elementals in the same way as other elementals, Wizards separated them out as a race from 'elementals' in Lorwyn. Probably why they're the exception.

Ok, first flake ever submitted. I hope you guys like him.
+1 W/B/G Planeswalker

Or it could be that the walker (new or old) was responsible for rousing the Avatar in the first place, like before they were sort of slumbering in the plane's mana.

I have a question regarding death and Theros.

So, we know that while Elspeth "died" she hasn't put on the mask, and her soul has not left her body (or has it just not become a dead person soul even though it did?), this means she still has her spark and whatnot.

Could it be possible for someone else to refuse the mask and stay alive? Even become a planeswalker after refusing to die? Because I've got an idea for a R/B or R/W/B flake.

Hey Cianne, could you up your flakesheet? Can't find it.

Re-upping new Zix sheet just cause.

Cala's one of mine. I like to think of her as that weird balance of geeking out over knowledge and research while otherwise being totally ADHD and prone to doing horrible things when she gets bored.

Many thanks. Incorporating other flakes into writing is hard enough with the bio sheets available.

Thanks bro, I didn't have access to her sheet.
Yeah, I seriously need to condense the bio part. Haven't had time for it yet but it's currently way too much without going into personality enough.

It's cool seeing a blue 'walker who values planning and preparation without being super duper intelligent.

She's a cute! Get her involved with a story. I bet she could be Cianne's friend or maybe Belagir's bully. Another member of the Time Society?

Anyone?

I literally don't know any of the stories that people have been drafting up using the flakes. Where even can I find these things?

as far as I understand it, the mask doesn't kill you/send you to the afterlife, it's just a very Big Thing in the afterlife. I could be wrong, though.

Honestly if you want to write a story about someone's spark igniting after they die, you totally can. MtG canon is pretty much "well it happens because magic!" so why not right?

most of it I assume is the books released for older sets and the Forgotten Realms stories released on the WotC website. Or their own understanding of the planes through their own playing and others explaining it.

I'm familiar with where the canon lore comes from, I mean is there actual written flake-stuff that I could find and read.

I think they mean the stories in this thread.

There's a Myr carrying someone's spark to deliver as a message and it's like Wall-E the Planeswalker. Zix is getting tutored by William Arete in time magic. Gaia is sending Belagir on a quest to protect her plane from William. Tieng Shen, Selenra, and DIOMEDES are working together to conquer planes and bring peace to the multiverse.

no idea then, sorry

If there's any other sheets anyone would like to see, just ask.

You just have to repost the profiles if you want to know more about someone specific.

Also I am writing a little thing about the myr walker. I am kinda feeling it is bit illusion shattering but I'll see how it goes.

I haven't read URs since "Here's Kozilek showing up from POV #6", but the first Innistrad one was pretty good, I think.

This seems like the sorta thing that's up in the air to me. Are you thinking theros in specific?

Here is Belagir's sheet.

This is an interesting time snapshot for a character sheet.

I gave a shot at doing a better job with this. I am unsure if it is better or worse.

Are you referring to how he's not a planeswalker yet?

What's the name of the font? I like how together it looks.

Just to be clear, you do know you could have spells anyway? Being a planeswalker isn't a requisite for it.

ENVIROMENT: UNKNOWN_
BRETHREN PRESENCE : VALUE=0[LONELY]_
OBSTRUCTION PRESENCE: VALUE=0[SAFE]_

SEARCH: STOP_
MYR CONSTRUCTION PROTOCOL: EXECUTE_
SUMMON[BRETHREN SERVITOR]=20: REQUESTED_
MANA: SUFFICIENT_
SUMMON[BRETHREN SERVITOR]=20: EXECUTE_
BRETHREN PRESENCE: VALUE=20[NOT ALONE]_
ORDER: MATERIAL[METAL][COLLECT]_

ACTION[REST=172800]: EXECUTE_

ACTION[REST=172800]: COMPLETE_
MATERIAL PRESENCE: SUFFICIENT_
MATERIAL ANALYSIS: METAL[SILVER/IRON/COPPER]
BRETHREN PRESENCE: VALUE=0[LONELY]_
SUMMON[BRETHREN SERVITOR]=10: REQUESTED_
SUMMON[BRETHREN SERVITOR]=10: EXECUTE_
BRETHREN PRESENCE: VALUE=10[NOT ALONE]_
SUMMON[FORGEMASTER]=2: REQUESTED_
SUMMON[FORGEMASTER]=2: EXECUTE_
CONSTRUCT[MATRIX]: REQUESTED_
CONSTRUCT[RESERVOIR]: REQUESTED_
CONSTRUCT[TURBINE]: REQUESTED_
MATERIAL: SUFFICIENT_
CONSTRUCT[MATRIX/RESERVOIR/TURBINE]: EXECUTE_

COSTRUCT[MATRIX/RESERVOIR/TURBINE]: COMPLETE_
COMPLETION TIME: SUFFICIENT_
BRETHREN PRESENCE: VALUE=0[LONELY]_
ACTION[ACTIVATE=MATRIX/RESERVOIR/TURBINE]: EXECUTE_
ACTION[ACTIVATE=MATRIX/RESERVOIR/TURBINE]: COMPLETE_

ACTION[REST=432000]: EXECUTE_

ACTION[REST=432000]: COMPLETE_
BRETHREN PRESENCE : VALUE=UNKNOWN[NOT ALONE]_
ORDER: SEARCH_
SEARCH: EXECUTE_

Geez. I am not entirely sure what I wanted to do here. I wanted to put bit more clearly what actually happens when The Messenger arrives on a new plane. I cant wait for the spark to take more firm roots so it can think more fluently. This doesnt even have what happens if it meets friends and/or enemies, thank god.

On the topic of the planeswalker card.
Thematically, a dragon for 3 seems a little odd.
But then, considering he etbs with 0 loyalty counters, it seems p. fair.

I'm aware. And I was contemplating giving him some spells, but to be honest I was just feeling lazy.

Oreskos at daybreak was a beautiful sight. The rays of the rising sun peeked over the horizon, slowly lighting the landscape. To Nishal, it was almost as beautiful as the razorfields. He looked out over the land, taking in as much of it as he could. He would be training with the iconoclasts again in a few hours, and he was moving about to begin his day.

As he stared into the distance a small figure, nearly indistinguishable from the shadows in the morning light, was slowly making its way towards the main thoroughfare of the leonin settlement. Its shape tickled at a faraway memory and Nishal began to sprint towards it, hastily donning his cloak and sheathed sword.

When he reached the creature, he understood why its silhouette had appeared so familiar: a myr was wandering Theros, an impossible distance from their shared home plane. Nishal felt a bubbling panic forming in his chest. If the myr had left Phyrexia, were the Phyrexians themselves free? He began scanning the horizon closely, trying to make out any otherworldly figures lurking in the morning shadows. The myr continued plodding on, ignoring the leonin and his panic. Nishal turned to stare as it trudged along on its path, turning its head as it scanned the environment.

It was looking for something.

It's like reading code.

I like it.

Nishal contemplated his options. If the myr had been sent by Phyrexia, it would be searching for life to pervert with Compleation. But why would they have sent a myr? Why not any one of their more qualified soldiers? And for that matter, when had the Phyrexians begun using myr? Nishal caught up to the wandering artifact, examining it closer than before. It was weatherworn and aged, and looked as though it had circled Mirrodin countless times. Or, thought Nishal, had it simply wandered countless planes? He reached out with his magic, probing the myr for any sign of insight, when he felt the immense power of a spark. Somehow, this myr had developed the ability to planeswalk! Now Nishal knew that this myr was not with the Phyrexians; had it have been, they would have stripped it down and taken the spark to give to one of their elite, or it would have been taken and given directly to one of the Praetors. He shuddered to think what would become of the multiverse if Elesh Norn developed the ability to spread her terror of a religion. However, if the myr wandered into Tethmos and was seen by Brimaz, they might react violently. And while the myr looked docile enough, Nishal knew well enough what a myr in danger was capable of.

Nishal knew what he had to do. Keeping pace with the myr, he reached out a hand and furtively touched its shoulder. When it did not immediately begin to assault him, Nishal called to mind a far-off, safe plane: Rabiah, the land of empty deserts and mysterious beings. As he began to planeswalk, he ensured that the myr came with him. As they faded from Theros and faded into Rabiah, Nishal removed his hand. He watched the myr walk away into the desert, and then began the trip back to Theros. Before he left the plane he stopped and turned back to the myr, who he could still see making its way farther into the desert. He cast a spell of protection onto the automaton, and silently wished it luck on its quest before continuing on his