Girl Trouble

So I've lucked out on a girlfriend that's not only miles and miles above my league in every conceivable way, but also really enthusiastic about playing TRPGs with me. She's only done it a couple times, with our group (years ago, before I ever knew she had a crash on me, when she was just a friend of my sister we had to include because our parents said so), but it seems to have made a huge fucking impression on her because whenever we meet she keeps bring this subject up and asking when the next session would be and that I call her when it happens.

The problem is that the rest of the group really doesn't like her. I like my friends and I like my girlfriend, but I can totally see why they'd be personally incompatible. Besides that, I'm guessing there's a (quite possibly legitimate) fear of this inadvertently causing a "GMs girlfriend" type scenario. These are reportedly very hard to avert - you either dote on your girlfriend without intending to or you go too far the other way and end up bullying her character, which probably wouldn't make a mature girlfriend actually angry but might harm the gameplay. Of course, even if you don't do either, the very fact that the other players are convinced you intend to could by itself cause trouble.

I don't want to involve her with the group, because I'm fairly certain everyone'll come out of it angrier than they'd entered. On the other hand, I don't want to lie to my girlfriend (or, alternatively, tell her to her face that my friends just don't like her. That's bound to cause issues). For that same reason, "gathering everyone together and resolving the situation like adults" isn't really an option, either. It'd fundamentally involve telling people that other people hate them behind their backs.

What do, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i_sxuyB_uVI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>girlfriend
Fuck off normie.

If she's not a fucking child, she can deal with people not liking her. Your friends can deal with having their secret grudge revealed to her. Talk it out like mature adults.

Talk to your friends. Ask why they don't like her. If you can resolve any misconceptions without the grudge being exposed, great.

Otherwise, man the fuck up and

Its a social situation.

Talk to your friends first. Tell them what your concerns are. Ask them what their concerns are. Work it out in a healthy manner.

Tell your girlfriend, what's up. Don't start lying to her over small shit like this.

As for the DM,'s girlfriend thing, that's on you. My girlfriend DMs my games with my pals and she is very fair and doesn't hesitate to treat me like a normal player which I appreciate. I don't get any special treatment nor do I ask for any. The only thing she ever asks of me is advice on what items to give to the players since I helped them make their characters and the like.

Tell her you don't want to be that gm. That you two should find a separate group to play with where you don't have to dm.

Also, have some more confidence in yourself. Miles above your league? If that's true she wouldn't be with a jabroni like yourself. You think youvebagged a good chick? You must have something good going on, bro.

>She's only done it a couple times,
That's what they all say, realistically she's probably well into triple digits.

But anyway:
>What do, Veeky Forums?
Start second separate game for her.

Straight up tell her why she's not right for the group, then offer to find another game the two of you can play in run by someone else.

This. Just play a game with some other groups.

I've talked to my friends. They've been fairly clear on why they don't like it. As I said, it's a matter of them being personally incompatible, probably with an unspoken fear of her being the GMs girlfriend. The person I haven't talked to about this is her, because I'm not looking to start fights between people who are important to me.

Let it be known: if your friends universally dislike your girlfriend, she's unlikely to be "miles and miles above your league in every conceivable way." She's probably a fucking bitch, a dirty skank, or a god damned psychopath, and you just have ballsack-goggles clouding your mind.

Of course, if theyre a bunch of neckbeard autists jealous of you having a cute gf, then fuck em. Take the new gf opportunity to man up and get some better human beings as friends.

Either way, this situation sounds sketchy. Dont try to come up with some bullshit "solution" that keeps the veil over your eyes. Figure out what youre missing.

Tangential personal opinion: playing TRPGs with the lady is fucking lame.

These anons know what's up.

Also, the whole "GM's girlfriend" thing seems to be less of a problem in play groups that consist of multiple couples.

t. married fa/tg/uy with ca/tg/irl wife

Give it a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, don't do it again. There's a friend of a friend who I disliked until I played tabletop with him. He plays a really good paladin.

GM's gf issues are entirely on you; just treat her like a regular player. Tell her before game that's what you'll be doing. Also should probably tell her and them (separately) that we'll see how this goes and if it doesn't work out we'll try to set up something else.

Just remember you're all mature adults and that communication is good. If there are problems talk about them, don't be a fucking sitcom character.

In my admittedly limited experience, in 99% of cases bringing ANY outsider to an RPG session ruins the session by subtly making everyone slightly uncomfortable and less open and spontaneous. Doesn't even have to be a woman, though it being a woman makes it worse. If I were you, I would gently but firmly tell her she can't come. If she wants to know why, say it's actually a front for a gay sex orgy and she's not invited.

Step 1: sit your friends down.
Step 2: gloat about having a girlfriend and getting laid regularly.
Step 3: tell them to quit being bitter assholes and git gud at getting some.

But on a more serious note. Get your buddies together and hash that shit out. Your girl doesn't need to be there. Probably better if she isn't, because you're going to have to hand everyone a great big cup of man the fuck up before the sit-down is over.

46883218 sounds pretty smart and has good advice.

Easy way to dodge the "DM's girlfriend" problem specifically is have somebody else be the girlfriend whenever she plays.

That was a typo. I meant to write "have somebody else be the DM" but I guess it works both ways.

What does being "personally incompatible" mean? It sounds like either your friends or your girlfriend actually suck, and I'm not sure which one.

fa/tg/irl*

That's a very manichean worldview, user. It's entirely possible for two good and fun people to not get along at all.

You're starting to avoid fights by straight up telling her that your friends are acting like the neckbeards from those internet maymays on this issue, that's all there is to it.

The next step you could do as a couple is find a group that can deal with people being in a relationship. It's the healthy thing to do when two people share a hobby.

You could also just grab a bunch of Fighting Fantasy like the old Steve Jackson ones or the Lone Wolf series and play those together.

Well it's a little hard to give advice without knowing exactly what they don't like. Not liking someone because you think they're a bitch is different than not liking someone because they have awful taste in music.
That said if you don't feel like these are reconcilable differences then don't try to hold them together.

Never gloat to people in person. Especially if they're worthless losers. Jealousy is one hell of a drug and they will get back at you when you least expect it.

>don't be a fucking sitcom character

Being a sitcom character is fun though.

>You're starting to avoid fights by straight up telling her that your friends are acting like the neckbeards from those internet maymays on this issue, that's all there is to it.

That specifically is what we call "starting a fight". You don't insult your friends to their face if you want to continue having friends.

>They've been fairly clear on why they don't like it

tell us straight you little shit

what are their reasons

All your advice boils down to "tell your friends to fuck off because vagina is more important than friendship".

Don't train your girl to only like activities that don't keep her fit and sexy.

When she wants to spend non-sexy time with you, go for hikes or play sports or make salads together.

If she asks to play TRPGs with you say 'nah thats just for the boys' or dont respond at all untill she stops asking.

Don't be fooled-
youtube.com/watch?v=i_sxuyB_uVI

>less open and spontaneous
>we can't say nigger or talk about rape

She's liberal. Not a very vocal liberal, and she doesn't bring shit up that doesn't come up, but she is into the whole feminism/slutwalk/gay pride/environmentalism/the works shtick. As I said, this isn't a problem for me because it just doesn't come up, and when it does we're both mature enough to ensure it rarely explodes into a fight. I recognize the fact that she's an wonderful person regardless (it helps that she did serve in the army and is currently studying civil engineering. There's more to a person than the party they vote for) and that I love spending time with her, so this isn't a problem.

Now, my gaming friends aren't all /pol/ types, but some are, and those who aren't try not to get involved in arguments. They WILL bring shit up, and they will fight over it. As I said, we've played together before, back before she wasn't my girlfriend. All it takes is for her to suggest not killing the orcs for moral reasons and there's a chance shit might devolve into an argument about morality which kills the fun.

Now, like I said, I love my gaming friends. They're all incredible people, reliable and highly intelligent. We've been together since middle school and I've served alongside three of them. They've just got their personality flaws, like my girlfriend does. If this was limited to politics it'd be easy to keep out of the game, but this is a matter of general philosophy. Moreover, it's a matter of former bias. Since we've played before, they've already got her pegged as that lesbo liberal chick who doesn't like blood, and they don't want to game with her.

She's a person, not a pet.

>Don't train your girl to only like activities that don't keep her fit and sexy.

She's significantly more Veeky Forums than me. Leagues above and all. I haven't seen a gym since my army days, she still trains on a daily basis.

Basically. That's a bad thing. You WANT your players to feel free to say whatever they want. They have come there to be entertained, not to play grown-up nanny for your significant other.

Seems to be OPs problem. His girlfriend sounds like the kind of person who'll get up in arms over nigger jokes. Or at least preachy, which is even worse.

People need to be trained to act properly, just like all other animals. Only difference is that with humans it's subtler.

>She's liberal. Not a very vocal liberal, and she doesn't bring shit up that doesn't come up, but she is into the whole feminism/slutwalk/gay pride/environmentalism/the works shtick.

...And you decided to date her.

Well, you got what you asked for: a bundle of problems.

You've got pussy-goggles on, user. It aallllll looks better when you see it through a pussy-lens.

Trust me, if you are starting to realise your friends' politics are offputting to others it is time to ask if you're really OK with them yourself

I had some friends who I thought were top bros, but eventually I got fed up with them talking about how they thought we should nuke the sandniggers and send the darkies and gyppos back. Good gaming wasn't enough to maintain the friendship.

Then maybe she could play a different character. It's usually more fun to play a character completely different from one's self anyway, so perhaps she could play a bloodthirsty warmonger who fits in better with the group.

Hello, Dennis Reynolds. What brings you to the internet?

He took a liberal girlfriend and his gaming buddies are /pol/lacks. He's been fucked from the get go. Possibly before even meeting his girlfriend.

Eh. Like what does incompatible mean? Do they actually not get along or do they just THINK they won't get along?

Yes, how dare you be judged for being subhuman filth.

Okay, as someone who gets trapped between liberal and conservative family all the time, here's some advice from someone who gets your pain, kinda.

You can avoid the problem! Find a different group to game with your girl with. That's totally an option.

If you want to face the problem and bring your girl into this group, your friends need to grow up. Yes, they need to grow up. Not everything is an opportunity for confrontation rather than discussion, and sometimes you need to avoid outright confrontation and keep it to low-key discussion. That's part of growing up and becoming a man rather than an overgrown boy. Understanding discretion, and knowing both when and how to speak, are signs of maturity. It can't all be give or take however; you would also need to make sure that your girl understands the same. As for the rest, tell them to see now as it is with fresh eyes. This is a good lesson about preconceived notions and seeing what's actually there. Which may turn out to be what they thought was there, but they don't know that unless they give it a chance.

This. But only the most aware of people will go as far as to train themselves.

>All it takes is for her to suggest not killing the orcs
Have you considered that your friends are all murderhobos and need a change in perspective in the first place?
Or are you the GM and perhaps go a bit overboard on the Always Chaotic Evil races?

Yeah that sounds fucking awful. Trying to resolve political arguments is pointless.
You will need to explain that you don't want her joining in because there are incompatible opinions and you want to avoid a fight. If you emphasis that you are afraid of conflict between people you like then you take some of the perceived responsibility off her.
Then, unless you live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere you need to make a serious effort to find a game with different people you can play with her. Make sure she knows you're actually doing this and not just feeding her stuff to get her off your back.
In the long run you may need to reevaluate some of the relationships in your life (I'll leave it to you to choose which ones), when two people in a relationship can't get one with each others friends that's going to put a lot of stress on both the romantic relationship and the friendships.

>she is into the whole feminism/slutwalk/gay pride/environmentalism/the works shtick

STOP THINKING WITH YOUR DICK MAN

Trust me, that shit is a literal time bomb and she's most likely cheating on you. Straight up, every girl that does that slutwalk shit has no concept of what loyalty or love actually is.

Also, bros over hos. Bros are for life, hos aren't. Fuck what your dick says.

There's nothing wrong with racially charged humor as long as you're not actually discriminating against them in terms of opportunity and the situation is appropriate. Boys night in is the perfect time for black/white/asian/polack jokes.

You ever get tired of making shit up? His friends are, as far as we can tell, acting immature and super-emotional, which is what he has to communicate to his GF. There's nothing to argue about because they refuse to take a position that could be argued with in the first place.
So finding a group him and his GF can play in, or play on their own is reasonable advice.

You, you too are making up shit. I never told him to start a fight with his friends, I adviced him to clearly sepearate time he spends with his GF from the time he spends with his TRPG buddies. They made their positon clear, so he can accomodate their fee-fees on the matter, no problem. It's what friends do for each other.

>OP speaks about army service, which was apparently a formative experience for him as he keeps returning to it
>liberal girlfriend

Maybe you should see a doctor?

Legitimate question, what is wrong with you? Have you been to a therapist? I think it might help you work through some stuff in your life.

>Trust me, if you are starting to realise your friends' politics are offputting to others it is time to ask if you're really OK with them yourself

Why do you assume they're the problem? Isn't it far more likely that the woman is the problem, since it's many versus one?

Well the thread looked promising, but I got a strong hunch it's gonna be /pol/ shitting up the thread now.

But yeah the answer stands, find a new group to join WITH her, as a player not a GM.

Why can't your friends meet you half way and say, " Hey, I won't be a racist shithead around her and play DND."

And then your g/f can be like, "Hey, I won't try and get offended and bring the soapbox if they do fuck up."

If they are your friends and if she is your girlfriend they should all try and make you happy too

The problem is that we cannot rely on OPs description of the situation. Sure, he says it like his GFs the mature one and his friends are /pol/tards, but then which of these groups is responsible for his sex life?

Nothing. Literally nothing. I actually went to therapist, charged $250 to tell me that I was neuro-typical.

But how is saying bros over hos a sign of mental illness?

My suggestion would be to avoid the conflict and build a second group. Just tell her the, sorta, truth. That, hey, your friends that you game with are a bunch of knuckle dragging jerks (use whatever language would make her happy), but that you have this huge history with them and can't dump the game. Make out like it is a joke, like they are 'oh my god, you cannot believe'. But that you put up with it because of the history involved, serving with them, etc - but there is no way she would fit in. Just laugh at it, yourself, while you tell her.

Then build a second group, perhaps around HER friends. Run a game for her. Explain that, hey, you really like her and really want to do this with her because she is so cool. But how about if we invite some of her friends and do something fun that everyone will like. Sell it that way.

>You can avoid the problem! Find a different group to game with your girl with. That's totally an option.

Alternatively: find a different girl. Girls are easier to find than true friends.

>If you want to face the problem and bring your girl into this group, your friends need to grow up. Yes, they need to grow up.

Fuck off, Anita.

>Joke about the irish
>Totally fine
>Joke about the french
>Totally fine
>Joke about the english
>Totally fine

>Joke about some group that has a skin color darker than an italian
>WARNING WARNING, TRAVESTY ALERT, TRAVESTY ALERT

pls user

What makes even less sense is that apparently she served too. Either OP is British or his girlfriend had a PTSD induced change of heart.

>true friends who won't change for your benefit

Those aren't true friends.

>But how is saying bros over hos a sign of mental illness?

From his point of view having no friends is tolerable, but he likely really wishes he could have a girlfriend some day. And that you would have to be nuts to think otherwise.

There's more to being in the army than shooting guys. She could've served as a secretary or a mechanic or a nurse or whatever for all we know.

Who said any of your little strawman, you fucking retard? Was it me? Oh, no. No, it fucking wasn't. Kill yourself.

The sample size is way too small for that logic to apply. People who think together tend to clump together, so if there's one wrong person, then there being five wrong people in the same tight group is extraordinarily feasible. (And the same for any opinion). If it were on a much larger scale and more randomly selected, then that argument might hold water, but again, not necessarily.

For example, look at the Supreme Court. Any time they reverse a previous decision, it means that one time or the other the majority opinion of the group was wrong--regardless of which side you think that is.

>You ever get tired of making shit up? His friends are, as far as we can tell, acting immature and super-emotional

That's not what I'm getting from this. What I'm getting from this is that OP's girlfriend is a confrontational bitch, and is likely to cause a scene over nothing. Since his friends were there before the girl and have already made it clear they don't like her, the proper and honorable thing to do is to respect their wishes.

/k/ here, assuming that user you're responding to is doing what I think he's doing, he's being sarcastic. The idea that she got "PTSD" because her female DS or whatever the hell the army uses, yelled at her for dropping her gun in the mud, and now had a wild political shift because she didn't like getting yelled at.

Oh, so he's one of those "tfw no gf" dudes

>he's one of those guys that whines about "tfw no gf"

The question stands. Why do you assume that she's a swell gal and they're a bunch of shitheads? Instead of her being a feminist bitch and them not wanting the drama in their lives?

>Literally incapable of not making niggerjokes
>Murderhobo retards

Yeah, sure. They're super mature.

You're so full of shit. OP literally said

>She's liberal. Not a very vocal liberal, and she doesn't bring shit up that doesn't come up.

Its his friends who are confrontational

>Trust me, that shit is a literal time bomb and she's most likely cheating on you. Straight up, every girl that does that slutwalk shit has no concept of what loyalty or love actually is.
This sorta reeks of a personality disorder.

You're getting colder and colder as you keep guessing.

Maybe OP's Israeli. I've met Israeli girls who were ridiculously leftist liberal yet served in infantry shooting pregnant Palestinian women. They're a weird nation.

This

>>tfw no gf
>>tfw no tabletop gaming gf
>>tfw no attached tabletop gaming gf

Oh I'm sorry, was my interpretation of your post, i.e. "REEEE RACIST JOKES ARE BAAADDD" wrong? Because if that's the case you really should be getting up in arms every time I make a joke about the English having bad teeth, friendo.
>Calls a person a retard and is fine with doing so
>Call a person a nigger and this guy explodes

Nice hypocrisy

Because in they're applying their personal experience and in their experience the friends were the shitheads. Did you read the posts you're replying to?

Your definition of "true friend" appears to be similar to the definition of the words "slave", "gimp" and "thrall".

>So I've lucked out on a girlfriend that's not only miles and miles above my league in every conceivable way
>this is what the modern male looks like
>thinking females are in any way superior

Why do people imagine it's so impossible to be a liberal veteran? My brother was a Democrat before, during, and after his service. Ditto my ex.

I never said any part of that.

Hey man, refusing to change the entire way you act around friends in a relaxing, private, environment isn't the same as being incapable.

Your girlfriend sounds fucking awesome you fucking idiot

>/pol/types
>not confrontational
Fucking please.

In my personal experience, in any situation where it's your friends versus a woman, the woman is always full of shit and needs to learn to accept your friends as they are.

Eat a bullet, /pol/tard.

How does that reek of a personality disorder? He may be wrong - MAY be - but his conclusions aren't exactly insane or even especially unreasonable.

To be completely frank and honest, he seems more in line with the closest quantifiable thing to normal I can think of, than you seem to be.

What veteran? There are like 5 countries in the world where women can fight and odds are if OP's gf fought she would've been neither liberal nor a gamer nor his girlfriend.

I think true friends should be able to put up with sitatuoons that may not favor them for the sake of their friends sometimes.

I think, Id at least sit down with OP and his GF and discuss a way to meet half way in this situation. You know cause he is my friend.

If being an immoral murderhobo is more fun for me than my boy's ease of mind. I'd be a pretty shit friend

No he's right. Women who take pride in cheating tend to cheat.

Epic blog, famalam! Where do I subscribe?

You don't have to have physically shot people to be a veteran.

Truth to be told, women who are not particularly proud of cheating also tend to cheat.

Well you should have said that rather than questioning the other guy without telling us you had experience that contradicted theirs.

>user 1 makes statement
>user 2(Me~) makes semi-jokey comment against user 1's statement
>user 1 REEEE's at user 2
>user 2 makes slightly scathing response, trying to point out the hypocrisy of user 1
>user 1 REEEE's at user 2 once again

Please user, I'm not even from /pol/. This /pol/ boogieman of yours probably isn't even real, not to the extent you believe it to be.

Why don't you just calm down, sip some tea, and sit down for a chat about this?

Being conservative doesn't mean you're Hitler. Vast majority of conservatives simply want to be left the hell alone.

Meanwhile, being feminist usually means you're either Dworkin, or at least Dworkin's cheerleader. I have encountered a total of one self-described feminist who was sane, polite, and didn't bring up her political views where they were not welcome.

>Take pride in cheating
Where the literal flying fuck did it say, anywhere, that she takes 'pride in cheating' you blithering idiot?

>Since his friends were there before the girl and have already made it clear they don't like her, the proper and honorable thing to do is to respect their wishes.

In general, the people who have know us the longest should have the greater capacity to deal with out shit.

Like we didn't drop our common childhood friend when he got a GF who was hitting on every male in our circle and on at least two from outside of it behind his back and who had daddy issues so huge that she eventually ended up marrying the fugliest guy her dad's age you can imagine. We stood by him and dealt with her being around until they had broken up for the third time, because that's what friends do for each other.

His so-called friends made it clear that they're casual when it comes to friendship, so accomodating them on this one is the sane thing to do.

OP, it sounds like you should start including X-Cards in your game, that way when your friends start talking about things your girlfriend gets triggered by she can just use the card and your friends can start policing what they say to please her and her sensibilities.

OP'S GF DID NOT FIGHT

HIS WORDS DON'T ACTUALLY IMPLY THAT.

You're a veteran in most militaries whether you fought, or pushed around a hotdog cart for the entire time.

And very nearly every /pol/tard I've seen is a screeching retard.

Funny how it goes. Anecdotes, and all.