Best EDH commanders

I used Purphoros for multiplayer.
It just sucked ass at 1v1

The butthurt this gal causes in my group is legendary

No one suspects the gimmicky red-black sac engine.

Objectively

I feel safe when I'm 200+ health over everyone else

I hope you have a way to reliably get out Forbidden Orchard with that.

That card is shit. How would it be any good?

You use cards like Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, Sphere of Safety, etc. to make you hard to attack. Start giving away things like Aggressive Mining, Steel Golem, Grid Monitor, or Illusions of Grandeur.

Oh, my poor naive friend...

Politics, mostly. Which is the most important part of edh. But there are a lot of card that you DON'T want to have at certain times. For example, this one.

I've yet to see anyone wreck shit as hard as Zur or Arcum, with Jhoira and Xenagos being a close second.

I'd go as far as calling those four the Superfecta of Supercunts, with Derevi being a guest star for being fucking annoying, but not as degenerate.

Other things to give away are Thought Lash, Winter Orb, or Howling Mine. In One-on-One, it's pretty easy to run enough control cards to oppress your opponent.

Super fun to give away Form of Dragon

So using a specific, and expensive, list of old rares/mythics? Not practical wallet wise.

>commander damage

>hating on gruul beatdown

Seriously? Its so linear and easy to deal with

This is a thread for the "Best EDH commanders." Being the best, thus generally more popular, tends to go hand in hand with a higher price.

One of my first decks was a zedruu deck. It's actually not very expensive at all. The most expensive card I've seen that's very necessary to make zedruu powerful is Illusions of Grandeur, which is about 5 bucks right now.

Mine ran fine. The only reason I disassembled it was because I didn't want to invest in the land base.

Xenagos only needs one effect, Double Strike, to instantly kill you. Not a lot of commanders can do that. R packs the Double Strike and Haste and Green very easily gets shit like "No Countering Creatures" and of course Ramp, which makes it easy to just rush Xenagos out of the door and jam it in there.
There's just no beatdown or Voltron Commander I've seen that's as good as him, other than Zur who self-equips from Library.

Expensive? Specifically what are you referring to?

Hardly. I made my first Zedruu deck on about $60. Thing is, most of these card are almost only still useful for Zedruu, so their pretty cheap.
Admittedly, I have since sunk more money into improving it, but I'm pretty sure it's still worth less than $100.

On Starcitygames,
Steel Golem is $0.49
Aggressive Mining is $0.99
Form of the Dragon is $0.85
Thought Lash is $1.29
Illusions of Granduer is $5.99

Weak little 1/1 common with enter the battlefield effects make for great donation targets to get lifegain and card draw off of too.

MTG is cheap if you get creative.

It's not as good with Zedruu as I thought. Not since Wizards clarified how token ownership works.

An old classic

Not arguing he isn't good, its just putting him up there with narset and zur seems a bit of an overreaction.

At the very least, all those other fuckers can counter your answers. If you swords a double strike beater they just sigh and tick up their life total

Maybe it's just the impression I got from him in our group. He's just been a fixture of "Does anybody have removal right now? If not, scoop". He was part of an extremely explosive deck, though.

Gotta ask, what scary motherfucker creature is he running that can one shot with double strike + xenaboost?

Is it infect or something? Seems hard to get 10 power on the table super quickly like that. Certainly never was able to pull it off with my xenagos deck

Is Prossh still wrecking shit?

>no protection whatsoever, requires you to play a bunch of expensive creatures that just rot in your hand if you cant cheat them out

>good

Of course. He is by far the most competitive of jund commanders, and has an easy combo with food chain

Well there is malignus, which one shots with only xenagos, no need for double strike. But it has no evasion or trample so is easily chumped.

Putrefax
Vent-maw Dragon goes infinite with Aggravated Assault, that or anything with a Bear Umbra on it and/or Hellkite Charger. There's that elemental that has p/t equal to half your opponents life too. Any other sizable creature easily hits lethal if you berserk it in addition to Xenagos' ability

>Xenagos only needs one effect, Double Strike, to instantly kill you
Uh, no? Double strike with Xenagod only deals 12. He can't pump himself, his effect specifies another target creature.

Sure, he's alright, but he's not that strong.