Cyberpunk RPG

What's your go-to non-Shadowrun cyberpunk RPG?

Quantum Thief trilogy?

wait no RPG?
Eh, Eclipse Phase I guess

I'm asking for your go-to RPG system that is not Shadowrun.

Yeah realised after posting, hence Eclipse Phase.

Been thinking about getting into Eclipse phase. Heard it has some psionics though. Are they required for the game to function, or can you strip them easily enough?

All I've heard about is that it's super try-hard mode for a GM and either you are AMAZING at story telling or you'll never explore more than 10% of this system. It seems kinda hard for an RPG, can anyone point out why I'm wrong or that's just it? I've started reading the corebook and couldn't get past first 20 pages, HEAVY stuff. But maybe that's the part of it's charm.

Bump

CP2020 using GURPS mechanics

I love Shadowrun, but I haven't played the latest edition and at this point I can do w/o fantasy in my sci-fi.

We are about to try CP2020 with Savage Worlds rules. I'm pretty excited for it

Cyberpunk 2020 customized to my tastes.

I might put up my version later if I'm still awake.

I'm an old school CP 2013 / 2020 Fan too.

>no Corporation
>no Nova Praxis

Cyberpunk 2020

I've played it before with my tabletop group. They're pnp all-stars (I'm just a newb), and it was super hard for them. There's a Fate Core version that looks much more fun.

You can definitely play it without psionics. That's just an eldritch horror bit shoehorned into the game for incomprehensible aliens and AIs.

Psionics there isn't "win button space magic", it's more of an addition to your regular abilities at the cost of your mental and sometimes physical health, which may or may not synergize well. Yes, you can ditch them and forget easily.

Why would you want to explore ALL of this system in one story? It'll feel like GURPS with ALL the rules. Focus on aspects you actually want to do, the system and the setting allows that.

Cyberpunk 2020 simply because I have so much DM-time with it and I like the ambient (noir and not-too much sci-fi). It's also a very simple system that can easily be tweaked.

Otherwise I also recommend GURPS Cyberworld for GURPS Cyberpunk. It's a pretty decent universe. So, if you're into GURPS, get it!

Post you're mods. I'm curious.

So I'm coming from a mostly Shadowrun background and I'm looking to change it up a bit by playing some cyberpunk sans all the magic.

What are some good campaign ideas in a cyberpunk setting? I'm stuck in a trench of 'Merc team does shady dealings as deniable assets'

Watch some shit like Akira or Megazone 23 for inspiration.

There's the good old "gang wars" thing. Develop your gang, fight other gangs to expand your turf. Associate with corporations and crime syndicates to get money and gear. Diversify your activities. Etc.
Example: Brother (Movie by Beat Takeshi, 2000)

Something that is never enough exploited is the cop campaign. Characters are cops in a cyberpunk city. Most likely they have to patrol the slums. There, they have to deal with augmented criminals, crazy drug addicts, brutal gangs, corporate immunity, and the corporate police.
Example: Dredd (Move by Pete Travis, 2012), Renaissance (Movie by Christian Volckman, 2006)

Bodyguards for important corporate executives and scientists.

Intelligence agents for the Feds or an enemy state.

>Ex Machina

Damnit, another game I have but will never get a chance to play.

Anyone tried TechNoir and Sprawl?

Technoir was a very vague, open-ended narrativist game with no campaign setting. I didn't like it.

Haven't tried The Sprawl yet, but my experience with Apocalypse World-style games has been decidedly mixed: I liked AW and I hated DW. I just don't think most game genres fit into the AW game mechanics, and shouldn't try.

Of the ones in your picture, OP, the only I haven't read is Polychrome. Curious about it now.

There are tonnes of other cyberpunk RPGs out there, mostly tiny niche ones like Remember Tomorrow, Wyred, Zaibatsu and Cthulhupunk.

Corporation and SLA Industries are pretty big, or used to be. Same with Undeground.

Maybe I'll expand that picture.

Anybody play this game? Is it cyberpunk enough?

>Cybergeneration is more teenage superheroes genre, though admittedly the world is cyberpunk
>Eclipse Phase is post-humanist interstellar scifi
>Cypher is a generic scifi ruleset, not a cyberpunk game

So 3 of those are plain wrong right off the bat.

And it's missing Shadowrun, which is by far the largest and most popular cyberpunk RPG even if it does have magic and elves.

>non-Shadowrun
Maybe that's the reason OP didn't put it in the picture.

I've read the description of Nova Praxis Savage Worlds Edition on dtrpg a bit ago. Seemed to be much like Eclipse Phase, setting wise.

Here's my list, though anyone could quibble about some of these not being "true cyberpunk".

Damnit, I missed The Sprawl, Karbon, Polychrome and OGL Cybernet. Try again later.