Troll Hunter
Monty Python's Holy Grail

Any Terry Gilliam movie.

Labyrinth
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Time Bandits

Event Horizon

Yeah yeah 40k prequel, we know, but it's also just a really good space horror

This flick's actually a pretty decent spiritual successor to The Princess Bride.

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor just kidding

It's also great for spawning fetishes.

Conan the Destroyer

Granted, Barbarian is the better film. But Destroyer plays out exactly like a TT session.

Excalibur
Big Trouble in Little China
Princess Mononoke
Conan the Barbarian (the one with Arnold)

Aside from the two main actors being awful and DeNiro being at his worst in his entire career.

Good movie if you can ignore that.

A Knight's Tale

I think I wind up watching it every month.

Edge of Tomorrow is a pretty good sci-fi flick.

The Last Unicorn.

Just watched Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas today. Not great, but it has a lot of fun moments:

youtube.com/watch?v=gAMPsIAuszA

I especially liked how they slid the Missouri near the end.

No, that movie is excellent.

Best tabletop movie

youtube.com/watch?v=WVZgPPYACy0

Not a movie but The Wizards of Aus is hilarious and has definitely influenced a few of my characters

youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o&

I want to play a "Wizards in the human realm" campaign now

Solomon Kane, while not the greatest film ever, has plenty of pulpy goodness at its heart.

Ghost in the Shell
Johnny mnemonic
The Matrix
Brazil
Hackers

In an age where everything's a god-damned reboot, a sequal of an established BRAND, or raping the corpse of some poor 80's IP, I thought that Stardust was a refreshingly original fantasy movie that didn't spiral out into crazy shit-for-brains madness.

Your opinion is wrong.

Funny, I could say the same thing about you.

The Princess Bride
LOTR I, II, III
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Kingdom of Heaven (extended director's cut)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Heavy Metal
Fire & Ice
The 5th Element
Treasure Planet
Big Trouble in Little China
Dredd
Starship Troopers
Ghost in the Shell
Conan the Barbarian/Destroyer (the one with AHNALD!)
Ronal The Barbarian
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Gamers & Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

Darkon
Monster Camp
Drakmar
Lloyd the Conquerer
Unicorn City
Knights of Badassdom

my list reigns supreme.

>Heavy Metal
HM's like a GURPS game where the GM keeps changing the setting and tone, and keeps the same McGuffin. HM2K is more of a coherent campaign.

>No opinions
>only facts

Remember the stories that were done based around Pirates of the Caribbean being a campaign?

That swordfight against the zombie was great, but it really didn't take off until they got off the airship, which is well into the second half of it.

Novel was leagues better though. It's somewhat close to Peter S. Beagle's style.

>Tom Cruise vehicle
>Good

The original light novel, All You Need is Kill, is much better and I'm pretty bummed we'll never get a proper adaptation of it because Tom Cruise has such a fucking boner for himself.

Honestly my ideal "open world" p&p game.

>Dat constant feeling of the "campaign" just brushing across the surface of hundreds of other stories, each just as great as the one you're engaged in
>Dat emotional intensity and drama
>Dem fights

Unicorn City was great, and about DnD/LARP.

Oh fuck yes I love that film.

I'm going to be super unpopular here and say that I enjoyed the Conan immensely.

I would go on to say that it is in every way bar nostalgia goggles superior to the original Arnie films. except for the music. The old music was badass

>Deathstalker
Original is best, but the three sequels are fun campy fantasy
>The Man with Iron Fists
Those character concepts man

Pretty sure it was originally a novel though.

Lost Boys

Excalibur
Warlok 1 and 2 but forget 3.
Dracula the true story and untold

nice.

This shit right here.

Off the top of my head:

The Tenth Kingdom (it is a very based series, and you owe it to yourself to watch it).
Redwall cartoon.
The Black Cauldron and The Sword in the Stone.
Pirates of the Caribbean (obviously).
Treasure Planet.
Cabin in the Woods (another based horror-ish movie).

The Song of the Sea and The Secret of Kells are both beautiful cartoons based on celtic mythology.
Aside from that...
The 13th Warrior
Soloman Kane
The Last Witch Hunter
Sword of the Stranger

What does Veeky Forums think of the Discworld movies ?

"Your Highness" and "Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" both feel like campaigns that ran off the rails when everyone was drunk and once he sobered up the DM decided to just not reel them back in.

> campaigns that ran off the rails when everyone was drunk and once he sobered up the DM decided to just not reel them back in
The original Hangover was great. Sequels, not so much.

I've heard this one mentioned before.

agreed but its not very Veeky Forums

Krull

I refuse to watch any movie that thinks a glaive is a throwing weapon, just on principle.

youtube.com/watch?v=Flz5_JDGI3Q

I really enjoyed 'the wild hunt' it subverts expectations multiple times. Originally starts as a story about larp, but then it turns into pretty serious hero times. This spoiler is super spoilery it ends with one player getting murdered after a big crazy anarchist brawl, his girlfriend committing suicide, and the murdered players brother taking vengeance upon the 'anarchist' with a sledgehammer

>In director Alexandre Franchi's debut film The Wild Hunt, Erik Magnusson (Ricky Mabe), a Canadian born to an Icelandic father whom he now reluctantly cares for, is bothered by repeated dreams of a banging door and the sound of his girlfriend Evelyn (Tiio Horn) crying out in fear. Evelyn has left him for the weekend, to role play a princess in Erik's older brother Bjorn's larp-group, a viking and troll setting Bjorn (Mark A. Krupa) has all but disappeared into. To win her back, Erik must navigate the confusing, threatening larp world, where he discovers that some of the players aren't just escaping workaday responsibilities but are instead building a framework to work out some of their darker, more violent fantasies.

Seriously this movie is great.

I can't help but love it.

(Sometimes) lesser known movies that every Veeky Forums person should watch for inspiration and to see what imagination is actually good for:
For general fantasy/folklore inspiration:
Secret of Kell's
Song of the Sea
Pan's Labyrinth
Beauty and the Beast by Juraj Herz (1978)
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

For steampunk inspiration:
The Fabulous World of Jules Verne
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen
Laputa: Castle in the Skies
Howl's Moving Castle

For cyberpunk inspiration (ok, most of these are very well known, but still)
Blade Runner
Robocop
Ghost in the Shell
eXistenZ
Ex Machina
5th Elemenet
and I'm sure others will come up with even more.

Weird/Retro-sci-fi (mostly stuff that simple does not fit other categories):
Naushicaa of the Valley of Wind
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door (watching the show won't hurt either)
Brazil
Heavy Metal
Sky Crawlers

Surreal/magical realism/artsy:
Most movies by Tarkovsky (My favorite being Stalker and Nostalgia)
Fountain
Angel's Egg
Lunacy (by Švankmajer)
Crocodile Street

Also, some show recommendations (you can probably tell I have a big bias towards anime or animated movies in general by now. But even if you aren't a big anime fan, I still recommend trying these out, they aren't your average weeboo crap):
Haibane Renmei (odd magical realism thing)
Kino No Tabi (also weird magical realism thing)
Mushi-shi (folklore/magical)
Serial Experiment Lain (weird cyberpunk)

Plus two manga recommendations (again, not your average manga bullshit):
Shuna's Journey (magical/mythological stuff similar to Naushicaa)
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (post-apo with a real charm)

And finally, if you haven't yet, watch Twin Peaks.

Gotta love Vermithrax Pejorative

>ctrl+f "six string samurai"
>zero hits
are you shiggy diggying me

I agree with you, fuck the Cruise haters. There is a lot of shit suggest in this thread.

Actually, has anyone really being denying that The Edge of Tomorrow is a fun and solid movie? I thought that was generally quite agreed on (the god-awful ending not withstanding).
I'm not exactly fond of the manlet myself but personal dislike for an actor does not make a movie bad.

The problem is not that it's a bad movie, the problem is that it butchered the original novel with Hollywood's hard-on for happy endings.

So how did All You Need Is Kill end?

>The mummy
All of this. I just recently re-watched it and all i could think was This was someone's CoC game set in Egypt

The bitch dies, forever, because Keiji has to kill her with his own hands to get out of the loop.
I read it a long time ago so don't quote me on this, but the gist is basically is that both Rita and Keiji are transmitters, and either of them has to die for the loop to end.
Mind you, they are both in love with each other at this point.
The novel itself is more depressing in general, and honestly, in a good way.

>the problem is that it butchered the original novel with Hollywood's hard-on for happy endings.
The ending is obviously absolutely terrible, but then again I've kinda learned to expect that from western (and Miyazaki's) movies. As for it being a poor adaptation:
Well, my logic has always been that while a good adaptation is a great thing, movie being good on it's own is always more important than than being a truthful adaptation. Has anyone here read Howl's Moving Castle and compared it to the animated movie?
Movie being poor adaptation but a good movie on it's own will still be a thing of it's own. Movie being faithful adaptation but not anything else is just that - different recapturing of something that already existed prior.

But yeah, the ending of Edge of Tomorrow was god-awful. Very few western high profile movies have the guts or capability to write actually satisfying endings.

Not going to lie, saw it because TG suggested it. ended up hating it.

>he didn't like the cheesy acting
>he didn't like the corny off-camera violence shots, especially when the Six-String is cutting someone with his katana
>he didn't like the crazy characters
OH, COME THE FUCK ON.

>hackers
Get the fuck out of here. Unless you meant Sneakers

>That guy The book

The adaptation has to condense material, not to cut it. Sure, cutting out meaningless details is great, but the adaptation is faithful when it's just as authentic as the material it adapts - and that's what the people who adapt it should aim form - not conserving the details in their full capacity, but conserving the authenticity of the material.

>>That guy The book
>implying not picrelated

PICKLES AND EGGS

The story on the story is amazing and beautiful. The actual story is kinda boring and not easy to make a good game of.

We're doing books?

In that case: Candide.

I'd tell you why I didn't like it but all I can remember is Hating that annoying kid and wandering what was up with the ending.

also why did buddy get a whore if he was so disinterested in her.

I loved the book, but I'm afraid to see the movie after I saw the trailer. It felt like they got the general plot points down but completely missed the feel of the book.

>>That guy The book
Oh Shit. It never ceases to shock me when I find that there are people who read this book outside of my country.

>In that case: Candide.
By far not as euphoric as Philosophy in the Bedroom.

They did.

which CoC?

user, Soldier Schweik is a classic in post-Soviet countries. Next thing you say you are surprised that people from other countries read Stanislaw Lem.

Interesting that no one has mentioned this yet. I've never seen it; does it have the same problems as the Big Bang Theory?

I've got a hunch that it does, because if it were named by people who actually played D&D it would probably be called "3 charisma".

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Ran a pulp campaign just like it.

>Stardust
>Flick

It's a film, not a flick.

Lem is famous because he wrote for a rather specific genre. And even then: I would be surprised, for an instance, if I'd seen people from other countries reading Karel Čapek, despite the fact that he at least on par with Lem, and I'd argue much better than Hašek.
But like Hašek, he is extremely distinctly Czech (perhaps too much so) or at least so it seems to me. It's so difficult to imagine them divorced from the cultural context.
Same goes for authors like Jan Weiss, a rather brilliant early fantasy and sci-fi writer, which as far as I can tell wasn't ever even translated.

What's the difference?

The lewd one, obby

Alright, I guess the more appropriate comparison for Hasek is Wodehouse, or Jerome Jerome.

It's just that "historical sitcom" is a pretty niche genre in general nowadays.

This sounds like a good time, does anyone have the screencaps or the archives?

It was posted just recently in "best of Veeky Forums screencaps" thread.
Search for it on desustorage.

>Hasek is Wodehouse, or Jerome Jerome.
I'd strictly personally argue it would be difficult to find authors more apart than those (as an avid fan of both Wodehouse and Jerome Klapka Jerome), as where those authors are very loving and very kind-spirited (if satirical at times), while Schweik is about as mean-spirited and cynical book as I've ever read - but in regards to subject of cultural context, I guess that is a real spot-on comparison and a bit of an eye-opener to me.

Quick question though: do you happen to be from the UK? I'm asking because virtually everyone who I've met and who read/liked Schweik outside of my country was from the UK.

Ask /tv/

absolute fun

Fuck no, I'm not going there.

>UK
No. You got the first two letters right, though.

Unsorted, have 5 of them.

This is not a pirates of the Caribbean cap.

It's an Everyone is John one.

Holy shit, I fucked up. Sorry.