MTG Modern General

Competitive Modern Magic discussion
>Please do not discuss counterfeits in this thread, it deserves a seperate thread. I believe there is one currently here:

Not interested in blogposts. Just answer this if you must:
>Wizards has announced Modern is no longer a Pro Tour format and has also announced Modern's guidelines. How do you feel about either?
>magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/where-modern-goes-from-here-2016-04-24

Other urls found in this thread:

files.shareholder.com/downloads/HAS/1870646862x0x883653/E95A5C8D-DFAA-4ACB-BB2C-844E50306A01/Annual_Report_for_Web.pdf
deckstats.net/deck-9875135-f99822887787d190a97403173845960d.html
youtube.com/watch?v=UJc5hCmOhJY&list=PL04lbfeNAaS_0IahaOg4RedH-nszdDlNF&index=2&ab_channel=ChannelFireball
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-02-16-modern-battle-of-wits/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

MODERN IS DEAD

>mfw star of david games now control the modern format

I need help. Do i run a secure the wastes or elspeth, suns champion in the main board?

Heres my current UWR Control list
Creature (4)
4x Snapcaster Mage

Instant (29)
3x Cryptic Command
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Lightning Helix
3x Path to Exile
3x Electrolyze
3x Remand
3x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Spell Pierce
2x Sphinxes Revelations
1x Secure the Wastes

Sorcery (2)
2x Supreme Verdict

Planeswalker (1)
1x Gideon Jura

Lands (24)
4x Flooded Strand
2x Arid Mesa
4x Celestial Colonnade
2x Steam Vents
2x Hallowed Fountain
1x Glacial Fortress
2x Sulfur Falls
2x Tectonic Edge
1x Desolate Lighthouse
3x Islands
1x Plains

Sideboard (14)
3x Stony Silence
2x Leyline of Sanctity
2x Anger of the Gods
2x Relic of Progenitus
1x Keranos, God of Storms
1x Wear//Tear
1x Celestial Purge
1x Dispel
1x Surgical Extraction

Sideboard still needs work

Fuck off.
The reality is, Wizards not caring about modern is the greatest thing that could happen to this format.
There's no longer going to be bullshit price spikes due to pro tours.
There's not going to be bans just to "shake up the format"

404 on that link

Honestly, very few of us were ever gonna participate in the Modern Pro Tour and this particular event made Wizards ban decks for "competitive diversity". Glad it's gone.

The guidelines are kinda cool. Nothing is really DOMINATING right now, so we should be at peace for a while.

Should I even bother making Naya Burn now, or any deck for that matter, as my first deck in Modern?

Should I only make it on MTGO since people will stop playing paper soon?

sall good here

Try again, iIt's working just fine for me. Make sure you didn't copy the ">" too.

>MODERN IS DEAD
Modern is still going to be a Premier-level event format, ie. Modern GP

What this actually means is that the Pro Tour is meant to be a showcase event akin to an All-Star Game, rather than the be-all-end-all for grinders.

>people will stop playing paper soon
ehh i doubt that will happen soon.
it'll be years if not, a decade.

>"Our top players pointed out to us that Modern wasn't often about innovating or solving the puzzles presented by a new card set, but rather it rewarded huge numbers of repetitions with established decks"

"Competitive" Memedern players netdecking FNM's killed their own format

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>On top of that, the skill of the pro players combined with the high incentives of the event really accelerated the tuning and development of the best decks (such as this year's Eldrazi menace) to a large degree, which isn't great for a format that is designed to change very slowly over time. We'd rather let those deck evolutions play out over months on Magic Online or at store-level events, as that accelerated metagame pace often just means speeding up more changes to the banned list as well.

>Stop making your decks so good guys.

>Should I only make it on MTGO

I'd be a bit wary of doing that now. It seems like a big change might be coming.

>the Company continues to incur product development expenses related to the development of a new digital platform for MAGIC: THE GATHERING
files.shareholder.com/downloads/HAS/1870646862x0x883653/E95A5C8D-DFAA-4ACB-BB2C-844E50306A01/Annual_Report_for_Web.pdf

So, about a year ago I saw a game going on at my LGS that involved a guy playing a sorcery that either let him;

A) flip the top card of his library, put it on the battlefield if it's a permanent and continue with the next card on and on ect

or B) let him chose X cards and flip them, check if they're permanents and put them on the battlefield if they are.

I was only really learning the game back then, so I can't remember what it was exactly, but that was the gist of the card, I saw him play it, then pick up his entire deck, bar a handful of cards, and put them all on the battlefield while announcing
"this sorcery is the only non-permanent in my deck"

does anyone know what the fuck that card was?
or am I remembering incorrectly?
I know for sure I watched him sorting like 30 creature cards that were all summoned.

Primal Surge

>mfw Standard players think they don't see the same bullshit decks constantly each rotation

When a forced rotation is the only way to freshen up your shitty ecosystem with underpowered shitbrews that are made to look good in that shitty environment, you know you got a big problem.

This card?

Also, here's to your new dredge overlords.
deckstats.net/deck-9875135-f99822887787d190a97403173845960d.html

that's the sucker.

at least it costs buttloads of mana

The ultimate shitbrew generator. Truly a work of art.

and PTQ, as well as RPTQ.

Modern isn't going anywhere.

Probably an infinite mana Genesis wave if he picked the non-permanents out

Hell nvm I read it wrong it's primal surge

try it in EDH in a Ruric Thar deck. Make sure you have Craterhoof Behemoth and Urabrask the Hidden.

>Not be dominated by fast, non-interactive decks (consistent kills before turn four are a red flag)

Besides Tron, what tier 1-2 deck doesnt do this? Decks that consistently top and win by turn 4 or less off the top of the head:
>Naya/Zoo/Burn variants
>Goryo/through the breach
>Infect
>Affinity
>Boggles
>Merfolk

Even grixis/delver/pyromancer/snapcaster type decks win more often than not before turn 5.

What decks are they even talking about?

holy shit that lines up nicely with this sneaky sucker i've been looking at trying to work out how to use for a while.

and Managorger Hydra

It's dominated by multiple linear decks, but not dominated by ONE linear deck. The only thing they can do is promote nonlinear decks by unbanning cards like AV and Sword. But that might not be enough so they might need to do something extra.

They're referring to the current banned list. Blazing shoal lets infect boink off a progenitus to their guy as early as turn 2. Artifact lands let affinity have consistent turn 3 wins with some turn 2 wins here and there. hypergenesis lets you slap down a turn 1 emerakul. things like that.

Ban each deck for 6 months when it places in a top 8 = variety

>hypergenesis lets you slap down a turn 1 emerakul
How? It'd require some Cascade spell

-1 Cryptic
-2 Electrolyze
-2 Sphinx Rev
-1 Wastes
-1 Glacial Fortress

+4 Ancestral Vision
+1 Path to Exile
+1 Helix
+1 Sacred Foundry

I think AV is just too good to pass up. I think you could cut 2 spell pierce for a vendillion clique and a mountain but that is your call. Sideboard looks good. I hear Elspeth is better than Keranos currently.

t1 tendo ice bridge - simian spirit guide twice - tap ice bridge for G - cast violent outburst.
youtube.com/watch?v=UJc5hCmOhJY&list=PL04lbfeNAaS_0IahaOg4RedH-nszdDlNF&index=2&ab_channel=ChannelFireball

>development expenses related to the development of a new digital platform for MAGIC
>new

Also in a theoretical no-bans modern you would have Chrome Mox and Rite of Flame for fast mana.

Guessing it will be exactly hearthstone but damage will not carry over turns and you wont be able to destroy your useless cards to craft new ones

Uhhh right. So invest in MTGO. They won't let the players cards disappear.

Wanna bet?

no but they can easily shift focus to another iteration, and the community will move of their own accord and forget about their cards

digital licencing is a fickle buisness

They specify very bluntly you dont onw any of your virtual cards and can do whatever they want with them, including a discontinuation of MTGO for MTGO 2.0 and make you pay for them all again

So I'm fuckedin the ass if I digital and fucked in the ass if I go paper.

Thanks wotc

>d fucked in the ass if I go paper
But not really

Just wait for their new MMO World of MagicCraft then you can collect 12 boar dicks for jace and upgrade your searing spear spell to level 2

you're not fucked in the ass for either in the short term, a couple years or so.

the physical game will never really die, but it will effectively die once enough people stop. but that's fucking ages away, at least 5 years

the digital format is probably going to be a bit more volatile in the next few years, especially considering all signs point to a new iteration of MTGO soon(tm) but I think it will be the main, if not exclusively supported form of MTG eventually.

I don't see where you get fucked in the ass.
the cards you buy today will rotate out by the time the format dies anyway.
you might get fucked in the ass in a few years if you keep buying new sets. but who knows?

AND only after you wait 24 hours for your mana action points to regenerate unless you pay a mere $2.99!

Now that is a great idea, having to buy packs to speed up time or to add new things, it can even be developed for Apple iPad (tm) wizards get on this shit and stop printing worthless cardboard

How does WotC expect a card game to work if there aren't established decks that have been tested and are known for being better than other decks? I mean, if you wanted to play a balanced card game why not play poker or something?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-02-16-modern-battle-of-wits/
played this tonight at our scg modern tourney, went 3 3 0.
i am pretty stoked about that

DO YOU REALIZE WHAT'S FUCKING SAD
this is a legitimate business model, in use today, and not only that, it's the fastest growing and most profitable model out there.

this sarcastic hypothetical situation we are talking about is literally worth billions of dollars.

Yet they still continue to spend millions printing a 12th copy of evolving wilds or some 5/5 for 7 wurm that will never be played anywhere and they think this is what people want

What if it takes me a year to put together a simple Naya Burn due to my budget? Do I need to see into the future.

I guess I should just sell what I have made already. I was even going to have to use fakes, which would cut it down to 7 months or so.

I've never even been to a local card store.

Gotta print them oscar cards senpai

wizards would like to end anything that isn't draft, draft makes money, everything else is just people doing what they don't want

Where are you going to play your naya burn deck if you've never been to a game store?

you don't need to see into the future, you just need to use your brain, brew decks, make adjustments decisions etc
I believe this is the same reason nobody likes fishing, they think it only involves flicking shiny metal things into the sea over and over again, they don't consider the grand strategy, what time of day? what time of year? what the weather is like? what kind of fish you are trying to catch? what lures you are using? are you even using lures? bait fishing? there are a million and one variables, and the same theory can be applied to deck building
come up with your own brews and combos, fuck top rated decks, play the game.
just turning up at a LGS with a top8 deck that you spent fuckloads on and stomping face isn't really playing the game, or entering into the strategy is it? it's just beating kids with budget decks, who could potentially be more skilled than you, but will lose every time. maybe you want that kind of shit, i dunno, but you probably wont understand the game to the same level as them.
there is an inherent knowledge about the cards and synergies that you can never ever obtain if you just look up the top decks and build them.
otherwise, fuck it, go and grab a top8 decklist and build it for 700 bucks over a year, see if I care.

Well Wotc also wants to push standard because opening sealed product is the primary source of the standard card pool

Just play on mtgo if you're a sperg and you have no money

MODERN IS LE DEAD.

To be honest I don't give a shit. No more Yugioh rotating banlists is a good thing.

is it bad I think this is a great thing?
draft is the only balanced format.

Well I kinda wanted to make friends but most of the guys are weird. I dunno what I was thinking. I have a band that takes up most of my spare time. I'll cash in and be done with this money sink.

>fucking ages
>atleast five years

>havent even been to a store
>people are weird because thats the sterotype in those stores ive never been to
Veeky Forums is doing its job

considering how volitile the secondary card market is...
if cards can move by hundreds of percentiles overnight, that is volitile as fuck in anyones book, and over a span of 5 years, that is a fucking long time

the point was, if people are super worried about dropping money on new cards or sets, they shouldn't. they should continue as they are now, those cards will rotate out of standard by the time the community decides to leave anyway.
if they are super worried because they have thousands tied up in 'investments' then they still shouldn't worry, they still have ample time to cash out and either move to digital or find another, cheaper hobby.
like heroin.

fucking percentiles
percentage points*

I went once to get a trade.
They were arguing feats in DnD and watching the mummy. Then they argued about how the scythe in the movie would work as a weapon.

Then when I was talking to the werid nervous kid the owner started talking over me. I told him we were in the middle of a conversation and he dead stared at me like his internal OS had frozen and went somewhere else.

Best place to sell?

Only places that buy give you less than half what you paid for it or store credit, you pretty much threw away half your money and lost the other half because nobody wants to buy what you have

I've gotten into Hex, its pretty fun

I feel like MTG is going to have WoW syndrome, in that it can never really be replaced, but it can be watered down and mutilated until the community hates it but remains.

no other card game can come out that is not going to be living in MTG's shadow.

that's probably true.

Well I've always wanted to play. My religious family banned it and I never got to play. I'm 30 now with a wife and kid and a house note and 2 cars etc etc to pay for.

A lot of people play Modern here. IYO, is it worth it for a new player to invest in a modern deck? I don't have any card pool because I have never played paper in the past.

I tried to get into pauper but the rules here are asstarded.

Modern might not be the format for you if you are starting out and have other budget restraints. I would suggest standard for a little bit then move into modern. You can build up a card pool, the decks are easier to learn, more people to play with, and it's cheaper (for the most part). You should buy Fetch lands pronto though. They are probably the cheapest they'll ever be right now, so grab a playset of each, at least the blue ones.

I hope this helped.

Thats a question of what you enjoy in magic. Its not worth buying into standard, its too expensive. It might be worth buying into modern if you think that you enjoy playing the decks.

I don't enjoy playing modern, I would rather just buy into legacy. That has a lot to do with what I enjoy playing and playing against though. Hop on cockatrice and try some formats out, but dont fall for the "Modern is budget legacy" illusion. Its not a cheap format.

Yo but the problem with your shit analogy is that fishing is fucking boring and barely anyone cares what kind of fish they catch. Even people who like fishing do it so they have an excuse to drink beer, sit around, and talk with friends.

this is great, your post is the perfect example of what I was talking about.
clearly you've been taken fishing, and didn't have to think about anything except 'im going fishing'
this is directly comparable to someone who just googles 'best mtg deck' and goes about buying it, without having any supporting experience or knowledge about the game.

fishing might just be slightly more in-depth than you think it is user.
sitting around drinking beer and talking with friends is great, but i fucking love catching fish, and I've spent enough time doing it to find it incredibly interesting and engaging.

The problem is that I would not be able to afford a Standard deck in time, which is why I went to the eternal formats first.

I have no illusions that moderb is budget. To me, all these decks should cost 20 bucks.

However, I could build my Modern deck, have my fun, and sell it. That is what I was planning to dur before the news that paper MTG will be gone in 5 years and that Modern is either dead or made better by recent developments. I don't know enough about MTG to really know.

I figured Naya Burn was as expensive as I'd ever be willing to go.

What type of decks do you like?

now that modern is not a pt format does that mean that affinity is safer from the banhammer?

Modern has up until this point been subject to random bannings that will tank decks value severely. If you're thinking of offloading in the future, modern might not be for you

>Dragons of Tarkir
>BFZ

They could reprint staples in sets like MM but with adjusted rarities so that card prices go down and new and old players alike are able to finally afford formats that aren't standard.

*currently balanced*

>Chrome Mox and Rite of Flame for fast mana.
>in a hypergenesis deck
No, cascading into chrome mox is a bad idea.
Hypergenesis also has preformed god awfully in pretty much every modern no ban list tourney, too easy to hate out.

So you acknowledge that draft is functionally no different from constructed in terms of balance.

well, actually no I dont now that I think about it.

drafts must be inherently more balanced, because every member of a pod has the same pool of semi-random of cards to make a deck from.

constructed draws from a much larger pool of cards, and doesn't contain the randomised element, so one deck or a couple types of decks can be considerably stronger than any others and the only way to change this dynamic is to ban or restrict cards via a hotfix for want of a better term.

draft metagame has less oppourtunity to favour one absolute best deck.
individual set balance is irrelevant at that point.

Having played a lot of both Modern and Legacy online and on paper, I've found I really dislike Modern due to the fact that it's a blowout format. A big culprit is how games two and three come down to "who drew their sideboard cards first", something much rarer in Legacy (unless you play dredge, and even then I've seen dredge decks win against RIP). It's also how linear the format is. The discrepancies between matchups is horrific, too. Every game in Modern feels like playing Modern burn - win or lose, it wasn't very fun. Of course I've had great matches before in modern, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

ok.

I'm primarily a legacy/vintage player, but I help a friend of mine test for modern. One thing that I really don't like is how few relevant decisions happen in shorter games. If he drops a turn 1 arcbound ravager on the play, most decks will not have any responses until they untap.

What this means is that in modern, more games end without me as a player having any relevant decisions to make. Force of Will giving you options from your opponents turn 0 makes my games in eternal formats play out in ways where there were choices that I could have made that might have effected the outcome of the game.

I might be wrong, but I cant think of a decision in modern which is equivalent to choosing to force a lotus

To be fair, every Legacy match where the fair deck doesn't draw enough relevant interaction and/or deck manipulation is solved from the get go as well, a single fow doesn't make or break anything that isn't all spells. Force my LED after mulling to 6? Cool, I'll just Breakthrough for zero and beat you up with Ichorids since you can't race.

Guys, I have some of the crack lands from zendikar. I got them in trades ages ago for my jund fnm jund deck.
2 verdant catacombs, 2 of the red/ green forests and one of the white/ black lands in foil.
Just found out that they

It says they're like $100 each on ebay, how long is this likely to last aka should I sell now or sit on them?

Thats fair. What I like is that in that situation, it might have been right to let the LED resolve and wait to force the draw spell. And the ubiquity of deck manipulation does make it possible to draw out of that. But I have found that for ever forgone conclusion game, I play significantly more where I can watch a replay of the match and identify where I could have played differently.

my uninformed, somewhat educated opinion is you should sell quickly if you dont have any intention of keeping them, the price is extremely unlikey to rise.

but in saying that, i would be surprised if they were suddenly worthless overnight, modern removal from the PT was only just announced, it's not really clear what that will look like in the secondary market yet. wait until monday evening in the US and we'll know for sure how much they're going to drop

That wouldn't surprise me, if they're worth money I'll sell them off.
If they tank I'll hold onto them. I have other money cards anyway.

>tfw you're about to cash out on a hobby for much more than you invested.

>mfw wotc doesn't even know what to do anymore to force players to buy overpriced bad cards so they start killing the real format

I wouldn't touch Standard with a 10 ft pole, but I played Limited. Now I'm not even going to do that. I'll simply buy singles when I need to.

Why is voice so expensive? it's not even played in any t1 or t2 deck and it's at 40. Hell, it's not even in most junk lists.

The only good card in its set.

Fat neckbeards who can't accept it rotated out of Standard and that with Pod banned it's useful life is gone and refuse to get less than the overinflated price they paid for them.

I would hold onto them, those fetchlands are a staple in 3 different formats. Vintage, Legacy and Modern. Those lands are very unlikely to go down barring a possible reprint in Eternal Masters. If they do get reprinted in Eternal Masters but the art is different I would still not sell just because there will be better demand for the older art versions.

Price memory. It was a strong card being played in the Junk/Abzan lists like Abzan-Liege.

I can do that too I guess.
>tfw holding $500 worth of card board
>tfw all the cardboard you lost when your rare folder was stolen out of your warhammer bag a few years ago

Look if there's one basic advice I would give about MTG for both long term investment be it for playing or for finance reasons and that is "Always invest in real estate"(Lands).

>Build blue white merfolk on MTGO
>Play nothing but adneasum and infect all day

Why the fuck would anyone want to play either of those decks? Solitaire comes free with every windows operating system

Because Windows solitaire can't operate a salt mine.