Flames of War: ANZAC Day Edition. Lest we forget

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

FIRST

Happy ANZAC day you wonderful bastards

Most people just regard it as a three day weekend. Or they air their disgusting Political grievances like the Pencilsword fucker did.

I go to bed and you fuckers let the thread die.

I'm working on a tricolour soviet scheme, but I've got the issue that if I use green olive for the base paint (as I have done for a while) then it looks too dark with the brown, but I need a slightly lighter green...

what happened to the last thread?

The overnight hours for the US and Europe are always slow. Especially in a Sunday night/Monday morning.

What camouflage style are you trying to paint?

Winston Churchill sent it into battle against the Turks.

>Pencilsword

Here I was imagining something epic, because it's the home of Lord of the Rings for crying out loud, and it turns out that it's just some political cartoon...

I was imagining something epic, damn you! How can you take something as incredible sounding as a "pencil sword" and make it boring?

Damn Kiwis. :-p

So, what have people been up to lately?

I've gotten in a few blue-on-blue games of Team Yankee.

I believe they can be best summed up with the phrase "KLANG! 'What the fuck, was that?' ".

Everything in the American arsenal bounces off the front armor of an Abrams.

Also, Cobras really need to be where you need them to be at least a turn in advance.

And ITVs are almost useless on the attack, but excellent on defense.

As promised the bear is dead

that looks like a pretty straight break around it's neck... you didn't cut it did you?

If I were to write Good Night London on a V2 would it be Gut Naucht or Gutennaucht or something even more complicated? I don't trust good translate.

Nice work user!

>the bear is dead
>more fuel for the war effort.

Total war is a hard thing indeed...

Native speaker here. It would be:
Gute Nacht London!

I slowly put a knife around his neck ...just so. And then I twisted his neck.

Danke herr duetschlander, my small amount of german learning from 5 years ago was failing me.

That sounds delightfully violent.

I am looking for some coloring answers.

in 83-85' were paladins painted up in 3 color nato merdc?

or just solid green as they were during Vietnam?

How do you guys resolve score-ties at the end of a (small) tournament? We only ended up with a turnout of six at the weekend, and there were three people tied for second place, all having won one, drawn one, and lost one, all with 10 points. I ended up ruling that the one who had scored a Round One win against the eventual victor came second, and made a rough "Strength of Schedule" ruling to pick third place, but it was approximate.

Are there any good methods other than "have more players"?

We count destoryed platoons through out the tournament

Gorgeous job!

Strength of schedule is a decent idea.

As is the points value of the platoons destroyed.

Thinking about making Soviet army from Berlin (including digital lists). Any recommendations for 1650 points list, with possible tournament use?

Ether way is fine but most during this period were plain green. Merdc wasn't that common. BF just picked it because it looked cool.

Posting some WIP.
Because these threads need more images.

The shelter/tent is a nice design, but personally I'd have gone with gauze to give more of a camo net look like this:

Fuck me m8.
French tanks look pretty fucking decent but the entire list seems like you can only take tanks which is a problem for keeping ground.
If i went with the "combat tanks", as opposed to "cavalary tanks" will i at least have enough staying power?

Anyone got experience? Those Char tanks are beastly for EW (more than i expected at least)

That is a nice look, eventually I might add some green stuff leaves and stuff to add some definition.

>glued before painting

Thing is, organic AT blows in EW for the most part, and the MGs and armour you have are pretty effective at holding ground from infantry, and against tanks you've got a good chance of fighting them off anyway.

Chars are pretty nasty, although recently there's more about that can kill them. Nothing cheap, though, for the most part.

Don't forget about panhards. They're good deals, and recon helps you a lot with digging stuff up.

>Implying I can't deal with the challenge.

Yeah i never gave much thought to the french. There is an often unfair tendency to think of germany as the kings of tank warfare but i've been reading a bit about the invasion of france and the germans paid a pretty high price and had to learn some pretty harsh lesson. I think FOW french actually do a good job of representing this, and looking at their lists im pretty much sold.

I won't forget the recce though.
>always
>bring
>recce

any ideas?

S-35s are actually a serious problem, they're 4/3/1, so they're pretty immune to a lot of early war guns. Char B1s can slap around a lot of infantry or gun platoons in assault thanks to their 6/5/2 profile.

Honestly, almost anything the Soviets have access to in Berlin is good.

Go with what appeals to you the most.

Do we not have Colours of War in the scan database or am I blind? I picked up two Open Fires to split with a buddy (hopefully) and was looking for a guide for british armor and working in 15mm in general.

Oy Blin! Using Ivan as bipod/meatshield, eh?

A way I've heard it said is that the French had better tanks, but the Germans had better tank divisions. At least in the sense that they made more efficient use of the tanks that they had. Lots of subtle stuff as well, like crew sizes, vision, etc.

Yeah, exactly. And S-35's are pretty cheap. B1s really fucked with me before Barbarossa, because at that stage all I had was pioneers and shitloads of Pak36s. Which are usually fine, but Chars don't care.

>hero heavy tank brigade
>good
user...

cool then i'm going straight green with mine.

now for my m113's.

i already built 2 up for my 1ic and fist (gunner hatch open for the 1ic transport)

and i realized the ACAV during vietnam with the turret 360 shield would be a much better setup. were the early/mid 80's m113's still equipped with these? or did they shrug it off as a vientam era only and start using them again during desert storm?

I did say "almost" anything.

To be fair, most people try to forget about those.

>ANZAC Day Edition

I do that always.

t.bearkiller

The Strelkovy list from the digital exclusive is one of the best Soviet LW infantry lists, mainly because you get all the awesome support toys, plus pzfausts to make your infantry harder to dig out.

Part of the problem with French tanks was stuff that doesn't show up well in paper stats - Abysmal visibility/situational awareness, horrific internal ergonomics, shortage of radios, and reliability that makes a Porsche look good.

FoW goes some of the way to representing it, but IMO doesn't quite showcase just how much of a goddamn physical nightmare french tanks were to operate.

That's exactly it. Same issue with tanks like the T-34.

If you're going to start penalising tanks for having horrible internal ergonomics then every time you moved a T-34 you'd have to roll a test to see if the driver can find his Gear changing hammer.

That's one of the key reasons they have HnC, though. It's literally the same rule as one man turret, except for the platoon wide effect.

The Greatest aspect of the Tiger's success was not just that it was a powerful heavy tank; it was that it was a Powerful heavy tank that was easy to drive and operate.

Colours Scanguy here...have fun m8t

thnx, how does this looks?

I still need to upload it.

Same with the Germans in Finland digital list.

I've got an amazing idea for my next army: Hohei Chutai painted like pic related

dew it

What is /FoW/s drink to have during a match? I prefer just water.

Personally, thanks to playing above a pub, I go for Cider, unless it's before noon, then it's barley water.

Check out the british motion studies. They're not very generous to the Tiger.

And before "Propoganda!!!", this is a post-war evaluation done in 1947.

This is largely untrue and gets less true the further away from 1941 you get.

Usually soda pop, candy, and anything else I can get my grubby hands on. I'm not in to immersion. You'll never see me sipping water droplets from an empty canteen.

I was told that FoW has rules for armored trains. What books do i need to get these rules and maybe some informations about them?
Thanks.

Early war Blitzkrieg and Barbarossa, I think there might be some in Eastern Front, Grey Wolf, and Berlin or Nachjager digital.

anyone?

That looks pretty solid: I would put one PF with the small Company so they are not completely defenceless against tanks. I would also find points for eight 160mm mortars: six is false economy, lose one and you lose the double-template. Eight is much better and allows thm to take a few losses before becoming less effective

Everyone had radio shortages early in the war. The only reason American tanks didn't was because they were only beginning to get their wae production going when Paris was switching to a new form of puppet-state government.

The "shortage of radios" issue is one of the silliest things FoW tries to emulate, particularly because they don't give a shit about later years when there was no shortage.

definitely caffeine and soda.

i would swirl champagne from a glass, but i don't play french

i would swill beer but you need to be sober to play germans

i would drink piss but who the fuck wants to impersonate a russian?

You're slacking off Eagles...

More like less than half of what they have access to in Berlin...

The only Hero lists worth bothering with, are Cavalry, Engineer Sapper, and Strelkovy. The only other lists from Berlin worth playing, are non-Hero Strelkovy.

But the sad truth is, it's not like any actual effort was put into any of those lists. They just copy-pasted from Red Bear, tacked in a new unit or upgrade option, and slashed unit sizes for Hero lists.

Beer, usually a stout or porter; or coffee.

But I haven't player in over a year.

Thanks for the input!
Anyhow, how do you make Soviet Panzerfaust SMG team? Do you mix 1 guy with PF and 3 SMG guys on base, or is there some other ratio? can't seem to find the proper answer...

Yeah; the soviet lists are pretty shambolic in general. Which is a goddamn shame because there's so many places they could've done unique lists with cool special rules.

You can do any ratio you want really. What I did was I would mix it up and put 2 on some but the majority of mine have 1 guy.

Forgive me for having work and other real world responsibilities.

Flames of War is a hobby. Posting here on tg is a hobby. Recording and editing Panzerfunk is a hobby.

And sometimes those hobbies get put on hold to deal with real life stuff.

I'll get them uploaded soon. I've just been busier than expected the past few days.

Or hell, just some representation beyond "Red Army / not quite as suck Guards".

I'm still not over Naval infantry being strelk with -1 stand.

They don't even have tommy guns.

Why would Soviet infantry be using American SMGs?

This tiny thing that virtually no one has heard of called Lease-Lend.

Really?

I can understand the big stuff like tanks, halftracks, or jeeps, but I didn't think they'd be getting stuff like Thompsons.

Apparently the Soviets disliked the Thompson, preferring their own SMGs to it, citing excessive weight and lack of bullet penetration.

Well enough, but it would've been nice if one of the zillion people that sell 15mm soviet sailors gave them Thompsons.

They got everything. Bazooka, even. Kickstarted the development of the RPG-1.

The USA also sent, food, boots, trains, and all sorts of non-combat supplies that really helped the soviets. People really underestimate lend lease.

>Roughly 17.5 million tons of military equipment, vehicles, industrial supplies, and food were shipped from the Western Hemisphere to the USSR, 94% coming from the US. For comparison, a total of 22 million tons landed in Europe to supply American forces from January 1942 to May 1945. It has been estimated that American deliveries to the USSR through the Persian Corridor alone were sufficient, by US Army standards, to maintain sixty combat divisions in the line.
>The United States gave to the Soviet Union from October 1, 1941 to May 31, 1945 the following: 427,284 trucks, 13,303 combat vehicles, 35,170 motorcycles, 2,328 ordnance service vehicles, 2,670,371 tons of petroleum products (gasoline and oil), 4,478,116 tons of foodstuffs (canned meats, sugar, flour, salt, etc.), 1,900 steam locomotives, 66 Diesel locomotives, 9,920 flat cars, 1,000 dump cars, 120 tank cars, and 35 heavy machinery cars. One item typical of many was a tire plant that was lifted bodily from the Ford Company's River Rouge Plant and transferred to the USSR. The 1947 money value of the supplies and services amounted to about eleven billion dollars.
Damn. That's just... damn.

dude we really helped the Soviets, it's unfortunate that people overlook it, do you have any idea how important those locomotives were?

Would a 82nd Airbourne list out of Market Guard be a good direction to take the allies halfs of two Open Fire boxes?

Lend-Lease was genius. Initially we planned to raise something like 100 divisions on top of what we ended with, but the Soviets did not fold so we simply handed over all the supplies we would have used for extra troops to them.

What's really weird is that they acquired bazookas about a year before the Germans did without giving a shit. There's a blurb in a memoir about them being used outside Moscow and then nothing appears for the rest of the war. My only explanation is that they lost them all before grasping that AT rifles were shit.

>Lend-Lease was genius.

Would have been easier if US back then wasn't so isolationist and "stay out of Europe's war" that they had to basically subvert the law to get supplies to the allies. Instead of just giving or selling them, they had to invent a whole program to get around policies of not giving or selling arms and materials to warring nations.

the American people really didn't want to go to war

so, Veeky Forums i'm currently moving, and that means packing up all my little FoW dudes.
13 cubic feet and counting, only about 2/3 done.
I officially have more space dedicated to toy soldiers than kitchen appliances/dishes

Also, 10 unopened box sets, and 21 unopened blisters.

Send help.

YES

do it. and be sure to add mortars at the very least

Um it might just be your only direction desu not that it's a bad thing.

If any of those are brits, I can send you a pre-marked shipping box that you can use to mail them to me.

Will do. What else should I expand into? I was thinking of hitting up hobby lobby for a cheap 1/144 Typhoon. I was also looking at Stuarts for recce.
There's also the 101st, plenty of British lists can take American paratroopers, and I think Overlord has something similar.

Well, the only american-command direction.

Yes. If you want to try a more tank-heavy option, there's also the British Armored Squadron (Guards or 11th armored), later in the same book (page 102).

Literally the only faction I don't have (other than Romanians)
Poor luck.

If you're looking to play Americans, then yes. Either the 82nd or 101st Airborne can be made with the things from Open Fire.

The main difference is the support options available to them.

The paratroopers themselves are pretty much the same between the two.

Please tell me everything is in foam or being bubble-wrapped.

Miniatures usually don't take well to the kind of man handling involved in moving any significant distance.

custom cut foam trays man.
I've probably spent more on foam than most people have on minis.

I dive a '91 sunbird with 200,000 miles and without any working windows.

Send Help.

fucking hippies

>Stuarts for recce
Don't know if the paras can get stuarts, they mostly used jeeps for recce

No, American Paras cannot take Recce Stuarts in Market Garden. They'd be British too because Market Garden.