Did Magic just die?

Did Magic just die?

Wizards just killed most of their professional players--figuratively speaking.

Can the beast survive without a head?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/2016-and-2017-premier-play-updates-announced-at-ptsoi-2016-04-24
blog.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/top-legal-news/magic-card-game-judges-sue-for-lost-wages-claim-to-be-employees/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We ought to expect a decline of some fashion, yes.

It'll take a couple more decisions in quick succession along the lines of this and the Eldrazi reckoning to actually kill the beast that is MtG though.

What are we upset about now?

mostly pro players stuff
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/2016-and-2017-premier-play-updates-announced-at-ptsoi-2016-04-24

>Platinum pros will receive an appearance fee of $250 for competing at Pro Tours (previously $3,000), an appearance fee of $250 for competing at the World Magic Cup (previously $1,000), and an appearance fee of $250 for competing at a World Magic Cup Qualifier (previously $500).

>2017 is when we move Modern away from being a Pro Tour format

Pros appearance fees got cut from 12k to 1k

The Magic goes away

>2017 is when we move Modern away from being a Pro Tour format
Neo-memedern is go!

Honestly I don't see any issues coming from this for non professional players, you have to wonder how much money those pro players spent on magic, and got others to spend on magic, vrs how much they were getting paid.
If they were getting a lot more money then they were bringing in it is an absolutely sound business decision to lower those appearance and competition fees. Also who follows pro magic? Most the people I know only play casual, and I am guessing that is where a large chunk of their revenue comes from.

Half of the professional players were drug dealers and scmubags, good riddance if they leave.

I follow professional magic rather closely actually and I'm not the business or economics type, but I would think that pro players bring in sales and hype and short changing them when magic is on an incline seems like a way to drive away the pro player base and all of the hype surrounding it.
also
lolwut?

>There are only 4 pro players and two of them are Drew Levin and Patrick Chapin

Without being able to actually look at all the relevant data we can only speculate on the amount of revenue they brought in vrs how much they took, but I am going to guess in the end it comes down to it was costing more then they were making, or they don't attribute enough money to sales as a result of their pro players, either way I am going to guess it comes down to money.

Also do you play magic? And do you think you will spend less money now that the pros are getting paid less, and probably dropping out/playing less?
Kind of curious since that question is directly related to the economic impact this will most likely have for Magic.

>either way I am going to guess it comes down to money

Sort of. This is all about the judge lawsuit.

I do play magic, but don't really spend any money on it in the primary market (booster, fat packs, etc) I just buy/trade for singles or play sets as needed. I'm not less inclined to buy shit from wizards, but that's because I already don't

>Patrick "Don't dick the dick" Chapin

I don't follow magic at all I just play occasionally with friends, so not sure what that is.
If a lot of the people that follow the pro players feel the same way (honestly way too small a pool to make that any kind of an accurate statement, but for the sake of argument we will use it) then the economic impact would be minor because the people following are not the ones spending money that comes back to them.

>$1000
>enough to buy a professional deck

Sheet, you can barely even afford a cheap duel disk for that sort of price.

>I don't follow magic at all I just play occasionally with friends, so not sure what that is.

blog.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/top-legal-news/magic-card-game-judges-sue-for-lost-wages-claim-to-be-employees/

Remember the eternal semite, the soldier of the ultimate yihad against the living "Kike the user, hail the collector", if maro was killed today and you didn't smile happily ever after you're not a real magic player.
Down with the kikes and down with the list.

MaRo does some questionable things in his position but he is in no way responsible for the preservation of the reserved list

>>$1000
>>enough to buy a professional deck
At the pro level you should already have a pro deck, and that is 1k for showing up, that doesn't include anything you get for winning.

After reading that I really have to side with Wizards on the matter, those people are doing judging as a volunteer effort if they feel they are not treated properly they can just walk away, they have no contract, sure they will lose their certification most likely, but they are not contractually bound as employees for Wizards.

>they can just walk away

They like judging. They just want to be paid for it.

Then they can like it enough to do it as a volunteer or walk away.

For profit companies can't have volunteers

I'm going to be so happy when the culture of demanding people volunteer to assist profit-making ventures dies forever.

Could the same not be said of every other profession?

This could all have been avoided if they just called the Judges interns.

You do realize that the pro scene doesn't really matter that magic for the games profit at all, right? Countless right now are playing casual, draft from either cube or new sets, edh, or even just playing with friends with another format.

The products they receive are their payment and if they get paid per event they wouldn't need sick time.

>The products they receive are their payment
Yeah I don't think a few MTG cards counts as meeting the minimum wage.
>if they get paid per event they wouldn't need sick time
They still need lunch breaks though.
>often putting in shifts longer than eight-hours, and, as the lawsuits allege, not even having sufficient time for a break to eat a meal

That makes sense, but I don't think people here are demanding that.

Paying people with only your products instead of currency was outlawed in the 1800's, you are literally not allowed to do it

>WotC in charge of being massive Jews
>Fuck the pro players
>Fuck the judges twice in six months
Who will they fuck over next?

>Who will they fuck over next?

Small Internet card stores.
You heard it here first.

People who play FNM or LGS owners

So let's say level 2 judges get 80 dollars per day of event they judge as a flat commission while level 3 judges get 90 or 100 if they are the head judge. The judges take rotating breaks with the higher ones earlier on and most of them taking their break when it gets to the finals of each day.

I do volunteer work for stuff like that on occasion because I like doing it, not for personal gain, if you are in it primarily for personal gain you are doing it for the wrong reasons. It's not a job don't treat it as such, if you don't have the time/desire to do it then don't.

Why not go the usual "pro" route and sign up with sponsors?

If these players cant get sponsored, then they probably didnt bring in enough revenue to justify paying them steep rates for appearances.

This change doesn't even affect 0.01% of players.
Most players have never heard about Platinum Status Pros and their payments and most will never hear of them.

The only thing that is important is publicity. High profile events create that, paying platinum pros does not. Even if the overall quality of pros declines because of this, it won't change much.

HE DOES IT FOR FREE

That's fine. But other people do want to get paid, and as long as there's people willing to work for free, those positions will never be for pay.

I do it for fun, it isnt a job.
I have a job for getting paid.

I would assume SCG and CF sponsored their own team of players.
The only problem with this is it will whittle down most of the asian/japan players due to steep airfare and the 'lone rangers'. Coincidentally japan players are mostly lone rangers.

Perhaps Japanese players should band together and get a sponsor together.

Some people will never understand this. It's what I hate about playing music sometimes. There's always that dipshit who thinks he should be able to make a fortune out of our hobby.

It's not a job.

If you want to have it as a job you get a job doing it, if there are no jobs doing it it is not a valid profession. Like if you want to get paid for being a musician you go and get signed on with a company, or try to strike it out solo which is difficult, but you don't go play in the park and get mad when the city doesn't pay you for the service to their park even if they gave you the permit to play there.

MCM and private card traders.

>wuzzat liddle timmy?
>You trading cards?
>Nonono. Lawsuit incoming, not allowed to trade cards in official event, get permaban.

Difference is the city isn't making a profit off your labor if you're playing shitty music in the park. Wizards is directly profiting from having judges at events.

Do you have the figures to show that Wizards is directly profiting from having the events at all?
Also let's replace the park then with a business, you ask to play at the business they agree without an actual contract, or any promise of money exchange, you have no right to go in and demand money for it, if you want money for it you either go somewhere that will pay you, or do something different.

Dont cuts to platinum pro pay and boosts to prize purse help... You know... Us. The ordinary players.

Depends on where that money goes.

Look kid, don't get too uppity before we ban you from even going to FNMs, got it? You're OUR bitch. Not the other way around, loser.
t. Mark "The nose" Rosewater

They increased prize support for all the tournaments they cut appearance fees for

What the fuck is this even supposed to mean

Hahaha get mad pro fags.

This change is great. Are you afraid you may have to go get a real job now instead of being paid just to be an ass in a seat?

Look at Star City coverage. Both in terms of quality and frequency of events. Tell me how the fact that none of those players get exorbitant appearance fees influences whether or not people watch. Then look at Wizards' official crappy coverage.

The bottom line is that they want to keep the tip top echelon of pro players competitive by giving the winner of a high profile tournament more instead of giving the usual suspects too much. It's a good move that ensures no one gets to rest on their laurels just for being a household name in MtG.

Of course pros are going to be mad as this takes money of out their pockets. You're going to see a loud, vocal minority getting upset about this but literally no one else will care.

Now they'll stream HS for many a shekel :v)

No but he could do a lot more to get rid of it.

Who needs mtg when you have Hearthstone?

Are you ignoring the fact that they have to spend thousands on airfare, hotels, and decks? And that almost all pro players do a shit ton to advertise the game? Don't be a moron. And since when did it become cool to defend huge greedy companies?

Does this matter to non-pros?

It makes the game more about money and less about an awesome community of friends that all basically do a fuckton of advertising for free. That like saying that the NFL should only pay players that win. Do you not understand how advertising works? Its not about fucking winning, its all about an ecosystem that sells their product. And making it financial infeasible for high profile players to attend tournaments is a bad move.

I know this is Veeky Forums, and you are a really cool contrarian dude that knows everything, but they are kneecapping one of their best marketing outlets in favor of MAYBE getting more press from having larger prize pools.

Well, if fucking over top-tier high profile players affects the longevity of the game, then yeah.

Like what?
It's a legal department thing.
Maro WANTS the Reserved List gone.

Until the list isn't gone this isn't really a game but a stock simulator, so your "opinion" is dogshit maro, anhero.

I highly doubt that the increase is in anyway comparable to the cut

WotC employee directory, as imagined by Veeky Forums

Art: Maro
Organized play: Maro
R and D: Maro
Design: Maro
Legal: Maro

Worlds is going to a $500,000 prize purse

WotC employee directory, reality

Head: Maro
The rest: Lol who the fuck cares.
Bad design: Nagle

Pros have little or no impact on Wizards' bottom line. You think pros buy packs?

Hey let's just replace the park with a concert, the players are so musicians and the judges are the security guards.
Scurity guards get paid to ensure nobody with ill intentiona enters the stage and that no one carries sometging illegal at the concert, they basically watch out that nobody violates the rules. Same as judges at magic events.
Do the musicians or their record label profit from having the security guards? Absolutely not. They profit from people going to concerts (events sich as protour) and buying records (packs, decks, etc.) so why do the security guards get paid? After all they get free live music from a band for their effort.
Judges should definetely get paid, because they ensure the tournament doesn't end up a big mess.

A lot of players follow the scene a little bit, watch the pro tour, have a couple favorite players

When those players announce that magic has been awful to them and they are moving to hearthstone the players might follow

see Brian Kibler

>They increased prize support for all the tournaments they cut appearance fees for

That is incorrect. They're increasing the prize pool for the Magic World Championship. That's it.

I'm not sure many magic players would leave the game for Hearthstone. Hearthstone has a very different appeal than MTG. It's fast, simple, and easy to pick up all while still being engaging, none of which are the sort of things that draw people to MTG. Hearthstone is a good game and does what it's designed to do extremely well, but it's pretty obvious to anyone who plays both games what Hearthstone lacks compared to Magic.

Hearthstone streaming makes mad dosh

You think packs would sell nearly as well without chase rares and netlist staples that get famous due to pros?

Good. Maybe it'll cause people to backlash at hasbro/wizards for once.

Years ago. It's almost all the internet does anymore. Defend the shit out of corrupt businessmen and shady corporations.

You mean the players who aren't playing for competitive reasons but solely for money? Good riddance. And kibler is one of those people. He pretty much dropped Magic as soon as Hearthstone got big and offered lots of money and prestige.

It's the power of the eternal kike, when you saw the light, you yelled at your uncle /pol/, now you will enjoy the eternal kike.

You had a chance to raise your arm and hail, but now you bend over and prep the bull for your zionists masters.

>who aren't playing for competitive reasons but solely for money?
that makes absolutely no sense user

Literally no other cardgame requieres as much money invested as magic.

Technically speaking it's actually cheaper to become a proplayer of an ACTUAL sport than it is to become a magic proplayer.
>Inb4 limitards

how can you possibly play for money without playing at the highest level of competition

You don't play magic, do you?

So the people who ground out 50 pro points in a single season weren't playing because they wanted competition but because it pays so well

do you play magic? pros didn't get paid well before this change, there was a big scandal last year about a pro taking a foil goyf over a better card in draft because he wanted the money

>pros didn't get paid well before this change
>And now they get paid even worse
You see the problem here kike?

Farewell, crybabies, what else can I say. Cleaning community from scum is very important.

Fuck off

Whatever. As a casual player in a group of 5 close friends, I can officially say that not a single one of us has ever given two shits about professional play. In fact, the only time we ever watched a professional match was over YouTube for background noise while we were playing two-headed chimera.

>two-headed chimera.
Don't you mean two-headed giant?

Nope. Two-headed chimera. It's like two-headed giant, except not. The two teams of two would share the field, share their hands, and share their mana pool. One player on each team would be the "lion head" and play an aggro based deck while the "goat head" would play a support/control based deck. Then there is a fifth player that plays by different rules all-together. He is considered the "snake tail" and his purpose is to bite someone in the ass every turn. At the beginning of every turn for the two-player pairs the snake tail flips a coin. If the coin is heads up he plays his turn at the exact same time as the current pair, focusing all his efforts on the opposite pair of players. He has no life-total, a decreased deck size, and has to follow the coin flip.

t. wotc shill
You were warned.
Enjoy getting dicked judges.
Enjoy getting dicked players.
Kike reigns them all, with an iron fist, not because he work for it, but because they didn't listen.

that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

The point is that Wizards broke a big promise to these players. Imagine your boss gave you a big project, and said at the end of it you would get a big commission if it was done well enough. So you slave away for months, and then a week before the deadline he cuts the commission by 90%. That's the issue, how Wizards is being colossally disrespectful towards its players. It should concern you, even if you only ever play casual, because if Wizards is this willing to fuck over its most devoted and revenue-generating players, what does that say about their opinion of the rest of us?

I don't see anyone choosing to stop playing on any sort of relevant scale because some welfare bux get taken out of "professional" play.

for like 10 people, maybe

did you even see the OP?

uh...yeah?

avacyn got to $50 before the protour happened, and I'm sure other decks like the ones we saw at the PT would have popped up given a little more time

A single japanese crybaby, wow such losses I guess MtG is dead :^(

hey mister leave those goalposts where they were