How is the Lore/Fluff?

Other urls found in this thread:

brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=168717
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not bad

kinda of a retarded.

bump

>implying anyone plays Kings of War for the fluff

But it's not too bad. It's young, but there's potential for growth.

The world has survived two apocalypses that can all be traced back to an elf who couldn't keep his dick to himself.

An Angel told the elf he'd get laid if he made a magic mirror, so the elf made that magic mirror. The only problem is he used the essence of the gods to do it. So when he shows the hot princess his magic mirror, she calls him a faget and smashes it, which makes all the gods "die" and get reborn as good/evil versions, who promptly flip the fuck out and summon shit loads of angels / demons to fight everything. This destroys Not Rome. The war ends when Not Conan grows wings and punches Satan so hard it creates an alternate reality called the Abyss where all the demons go.

Then a few centuries later an evil God called Winter comes back and tries to kill everyone while making ice puns. Luckily Not Jesus is there to save the day.

A few centuries later you have the present day. Most of the setting is dark age "Your Dudes" kingdoms. Major powers include good aligned fascist dwarves, the Not-Byzantine Empire that summon armies of angels, a Morgoth-expy called Morgoth who is raising the dead, an Arab-Egyptian Empire ruled by snakemen necromancers, and vikings that worship a three headed abomination who predates the ancient gods and has a massive hate boner for dragons.

I certainly like the Beastmen in Kings of War more than the WHFB ones. They have more of a Narnia vibe to them and they're Neutral, leaning towards Good.

it kinda remind me to lotr in the sense that during the silmarillion everything was magical with gods and their agents everywhere; but after 2 apocalypsis shit has become more mundane and necromancers fashionable.

It's still retarded, but there is some charm in it.

Literally half the world map is "anything goes here, adventurers set up little kingdoms like all the time, you could totally have your dudes come from this place"

The worst part, the rules are some of the best and the minis go from totally retarded to very good, but the fluff isn't devoloped in any way.

The part I like the most is than all the cultures are flourishing tough, even the elves are founding new cities and stuff instead of "woe me and my race is cursed to disappear :(", (even if you like that, the Southern and Eastern elves have some of this theme too, losing land fast to the desert).
It could be cool if we got a Mantica like the Warhammer thread had the Endhammer tough...

Undeveloped is better than bad at least.

And to be fair to them about the minis most of the minis just have bad paint jobs and improve drastically when painted by anyone else. A lot of their plastics have great detail that just doesn't show on the pictures at all. It's like they just took pics of the design team's personal armies that they all rush painted in time for a big game.

Anyone know what the fuck is happening with the Twilight Kin?

They were a nice mix of Dark Elf and Chaos Warriors but it looks like they're getting redone with new fluff? They weren't in the new rulebook at all.

Mantic needs to up his game in lots of places, and presenting they minis is one of them. I like the guys, but I think they got so many things in they hands when polishing some stuff could be better for them in the long term.

They are reworking their fluff, models and rules.

We have previews or something? I liked the empire of dust ones, they had a Ghoaul Stargate vibe than was pretty cool.

There is only a provisory army list for people who want to play with their minis.

Soo far i think they are going to follow the same line of demonic elves. Hope they become more like Skorne than Legions, just to have more personality than just another emo-elves army.

>more like Skorne than Legions

?

Armys from warmahordes, I'm kinda tired of the emo looking elves, so elves that look more like angry dudes (like skorne) would be cool.

The skorne also have lots of interesting themes, plus lots of monsters. Shame I don't like the overly cartoon looking minis, the setting is pretty cool.

Do you like the Bible? If yes, you might like it.

The Rules really aren't that great. They're very unbalanced toward flyers.

Haven't had problems against flyers soo far, but because you can't block their charges its make it a little more harder to play around them. The biggest problem are individual flyers with high defense, their nimble and flying are a problem and with their high defense they are hard to stop.

Then you haven't been playing top players. All the top players use flyer spam.

Sure, most likely the flyer meta hasn't reach where I play. I think this problem could be fixed easily if they just allowed us to block flyers charges with cheaper units.

>kinda of a retarded.

So it should suit Warhammer refugees just fine!

I like what little there is. Especially the ogres.

races are progressive instead of regressive

Sounds like a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure plot.

It's actually kinda refreshing to not have the armies being slavishly tied to the fluff.

You can download their rules for free off of the Mantic website
They are getting redone and rereleased eventually

I really like the your dudes part of it myself. There aren't many games that are extensively supported that give you the same level of creative freedom. Being able to use any companies minis and having 20+ factions with lots of units that are left ambigious modeling wise helps a lot. All they need is more fluff(Tough as they don't have seperate rulebooks for each army) and more options for individual heroes(I want flying vampire lords without having to pay for a one off magic item).

I agree with named characters. Plus they can easily be added without clashing with Your Dudes potential.

This. The Ogres are fantastic and a decent stand-alone faction of sorts with real background that both breaks common convention and fits them really well.

Warhammer really became to centric on named characters. I think it becomes a problem hen you need to use a named character to unlock a certain playstyle.

Minimal, which is what I want. I don't want the fluff to ever get to a point where it says 'No, you can't do that, that contradicts the fluff."

>I want flying vampire lords without having to pay for a one off magic item
Have you considered that there's a reason you can't take as many flying vampire lords as you want?

...actually you can throw them on the Pegasus AND Dragon mount options.
Of course, they lose the Individual status which nerfs their defense effectiveness, and their defense drops as well.

If they tweaked the price of the flying boots and had it drop defense, I doubt anyone would have complaints other than it being too weak.

It's a bit generic, but it works well.

It's got some solid bits. I like how they explain why necromancy is evil. See, when you raise a zombie from the dead, you drag a soul from the afterlife and stuff back into their corpse. If the zombie get's destroyed, the soul can't return to the afterlife and is forced to wander the Earth for the rest of time.

Mind you, losing individual status is also good in some ways.

It means if they get the extra attacks from side/back charges.

Double edged sword.

The big complaint is Maxxed defense units that you can't flank and therefore are nearly unkillable.

You drop a flank-capable flying unit in someone's lines, it's going to take it up the rear just as it will dish that out.

I mainly use individuals as anti-flyer. Have them hover slightly behind the main line, if anything drops behind free rotation then charge.

So fighting zombies is also evil?

I think the soul is already fucked anyway. It does suggest that necromancy might become an increasing problem over time as the world becomes increasingly haunted. People should want to be cremated in this setting.

Necromancy is a HUGE problem in this setting. Like, on the scale of the Borg in Star Trek and if left unchecked would crush civilized nations.

The Undead faction are scattered necromancers and the few living creatures associated, and they threaten organized nations. And this is with magic anyone can learn.

The most infamous of necromancers, Morgoth, has singlehandedly poses one of the biggest national security threats to the Dwarves in particular and has been slowly grinding the Dwarves back in an unending campaign without rest.

You ever wonder if why in DC comics normal people can learn magic and get on super-hero level, the world isn't completely spiraling out of control? Well, that's necromancy in this. Shits fucked as it should be.

The solution is to kill all would be Necromancers.

I should also point out, whenever a soul is dragged out of the afterlife and forced to become a zombie, the evil god of the dead laughs.

I'm actually fluffing my undead as the wandering souls being bound by a group of necromancers. Painting the whole thing ghostly, a few GW spirit hosts, but the rest is reaper ghosts, counting them as Wraiths. Also going to have some suits of armourwith ghostly swirls coming off them as Revenants, and large ghosts as Wights.

It sounds a bit like the wild ride/Santa CompaƱa, I like it.

>I liked the empire of dust ones, they had a Ghoaul Stargate vibe than was pretty cool.

Wait what? How did I miss these? Cant find them with a google search so for or on mantics blog

Some bro in some con took pics of them, here the blog.
brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=168717
I would make them less cartoony (specially the weapons) tough.

And the concepts.
I really hate how slow is dumping in Veeky Forums,we should be able to post 5 pics at the same times...

This is dumb, smiting undead should free the souls back to heaven (or wherever). Otherwise eventually we're gonna run out of souls.

That's probably why necromancy is evil.
We know if the Empire of Dust use the same kind of Necro or is another thing altogether (I Never got uncharted empires).

Sounds cool. Post pics at some point.

Yeah, should be easy to implement. 8ch has that but it's a pretty dead site

That and sound webms would improve Veeky Forums a bit I say.

>Tfw Mantic isn't putting all his meat for KoW.
If only, they could have gripped an even larger portion of the market, now is a good time with Brets, Elfs and Tomb Kings players left in the dust.

Im not a huge fan of that setting but I love the convergence of cyriss, and while I feel there is room for edgy elves, dark elves might do better with something of an ancient fascist styling

That's one of the few things I've liked about age of sigmar, most of the special characters that were basically must-have for any army were remade as generics, meaning you can have multiples and even make up your own characters again

Well it already does that to people who want to play non evil undead (Ala tomb kings), as necromancy in this setting is basically ruining the good half of the afterlife

Actually the haunting ghosts from all the destroyed undead might form their own faction, more like Revenants then mummies though

They're not unbalanced at all, its just Warhammer refugees being unable to cope with angel jumptroops and do proper rearguard.

And people forgetting that flyers still need to pivot and turn was a big problem too for some reason.

There is a neutral Undead faction on the way, it's just taking forever.

I didn't know it, any info about them?

>GW squats Tomb Kings

>Mantic makes Empire of Dust models

The Ophidians, they have a history with Empire of Dust. Their fluff is pretty much covered in the Empire's section of Uncharted Empires.

With some luck they will not botch it. I don't like the cartoony look of they minis, but I liked the abyssals.

Kind of one of the things that makes KoW pretty perfect for its "your dudes," feeling: there's no need to use their miniatures.

If they don't do well with the EoD minis, you can always get skellies from someone else that suits your fancy and use them.

That and also the fact that you don't need to spend forever removing minis after a fight. Being able to admire the full formations clashing is perfect "my dudes," material.

Yeah, it's pretty cool, and easy to adapt any kind of low power settings in there. It's a pity we don't ahve all the frenzy of yore in that regard, the armies than / tg/ made weren't that bad.

So my group will be trying Kings of War out soon asany of my friends are not digging 9th age.

I play Tomb Kings and Wood Elves primarily, what would be the closest KoW counterparts?

Bonus points for equivalents to my friends armies, Vampire Counts, Orcs & Goblins, High Elves, Dark Elves, Empire and Bretonnia

That's easy bro, Tomb kings are Empire of Dust, in the Uncharted Empires books, while Wood Elves you can use two list, Forces of natures if you want or Elves. Vampire Counts are better as Undead, Orcs and Goblins it depends of what do you have more, both are they own list but you can ally 25% of your list from other armies with the same alignament so isn't that bad. High elves are Elves, Dark Elves Twilight Kin, and Empire or Kingdoms of Men or League of Rhodia (it's the empire with even more halfings), Bretonia can be Kingdoms of Men or the Brotherhood, the later is better tough.

So just how popular is Kings of War? I've been wanting to get back into the hobby and was considering trying it out since WHFB was dropped. Will I have more luck finding KoW games at my LGS or people still playing 8th/Trying 9th? I want to jump back in and I'd rather avoid AoS but I want to be able to actually get games.

Every reply to this is going to be anecdotal as fuck, but I see more people playing KoW then AoS at my FLGS. Part of that is probably due to Australia tax on GW products, general anti-GW sentiment, and the store having a huge range of cheap reaper stuff everyone is excited to use.

I sort of figured it would be, but I wanted to get a general feel for it. Also, so you can use models outside the range? That along with the "your dudes" part of it people were mentioning was attractive to me.

> so you can use models outside the range?
That in particular made it an obvious choice for WHFB refugees. Shit, I didn't even play WHFB, but I already had 2 armies from my brother's old stuff, and my LOTR stuff from when I was a teenager. Bought 2 more armies super cheap because I get carried away, and have plans for a third, all under $200 (AU). Unheard of with GW prices.

There is no requirement whatsoever to use Mantic Miniatures. Mantic doesn't give a shit, and there is nobody to enforce it anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed in wargamers that they don't realize this is true for any game. Good on mantic for making it official and tournament support and all, but it really shouldn't be unusual.

>I like how they explain why necromancy is evil. See, when you raise a zombie from the dead, you drag a soul from the afterlife and stuff back into their corpse.

And that wasn't obvious already?

It's probably because the game by nature is generic enough to allow you to use any company's figures. There are tons of companies who make elves, dwarves, medieval soldiers and such. Steampunk robots and zombie hookers, not so much. Most games are just made to sell that company's specific miniatures after all.

It's great as if you think that the Mantic figures are cheap and bad, then you can always just go with their GW equivalent or buy from boutique suppliers. If you want your figures to be even cheaper, then you can look at Perry and Reaper to satisfy your needs.

I know that Flames of War adopts the same stance with third party miniatures, but even that is limited by its setting as a German soldier is going to be a German soldier, whereas an Abyssal Dwarf can range from the stitchpunk Confrontation or the Japanese Dwarf Wars ones. It is great as any figure that you like can see play on the table without breaking the rules/lore.

That'a only a problem if reincarnation is the general rule of the metaphysics. Or the universe is full of souls and they just come from somewhere else.

Oh cool. A bit on the cheesy side, but I could see a lot of people liking these.

I hope they make plastic models for the not Chaos Warriors army. I have been kinda wanting less over the top Frazetta barbarians than the one GW has been making for years now.

It didn't typically work like that in Warhammer Fantasy. There the necromancers would most of the time just inject magic into a dead body.

To be completely honest, I grew up playing at a local GW here and they don't allow none Citadel figures so, yeah it's not something I'm entirely used to. Even when I grew up, the folks whose place we played at were pretty diehard fans and didn't like proxying even if it was just units from another supplier.

It seems obvious to me where I live, but here we have one of the most successful FLGS's in Sweden and another successful FLGS in the same city. On top of that we also have a gaming club that is goverment funded.

In my store it has monthly events, and has overtaken WHFB and AoS with ease. It isn't up there yet, but it has quickly consumed WHFB's niche in my area.

If it helps you, the tournie scene in Spain is growing very well, but of course it depends a lot where do you live.

Just completed a slow grow league at my local gaming club. Had about 8 players in it from a club with 50 or so regular members. I'd say that's pretty good compared to where Warhammer was after 8th.

Did you see mom ones or the avatars of war? Also you could convert gripping vikings or something for more down to earth ones.

Thank Bro!

Oh, they tried it with FoW, but historical gamers are a hardy bunch.

What's that?

Was Winter a wicked ones?

It's like WHFB but not dead and actually playtested

What's the better balance game between KoW and 9th Age then?

Kings of War. 9th Age has some nice ideas, but there is a lot of bullshit, and some of the designers are simply too stuck up to admit any wrongdoing. Neither have WHFBs fluff in the end, so pick based on what people nearby actually play or your preference in the rules.

And fails for the most part.

The Tomb Kings concepts are all around better, only the Enslaved come close and even they fall short of the Ushabti.

Mantic is never going to do something better in the same vein as Fantasy and they really should stop trying.

That's all well and good until Mantic decides they suddenly like or need money, then their tune will change. "Oy, that army better be 50% made of our crap if you want to play in a tournament!"

I doubt see why or how their tune will ever change, considering that there are more rules for models than there are models that Mantic makes. Battlefront does the same thing, and they have one of the most popular games on the market. It looks like a completely unsubstantiated speculation.

Eventually they are going to demand more of their minis in tournaments, soo far I have heard they give extra points for bringing certain % mantic minis to some tournaments.

But there is nothing to be alarmed for now. Once they start demanding pure breed mantic armies, then we are going to have problems.

That is only for their painting competition though, and even then they made an exception with last year's Clash of Kings for the winner.

R8 my shitty spoop list.

I was going to recommend getting spears for the skellies instead of the rats to make a good roadblock, but then I realized that you were playing at 500 points. You can anvil and faster anvil with that list well enough, have fun.

And the 750 point version?