Call of Cthulhu - Beyond the Mountains of Madness

About to run this for my group for the first time - any advice / bitchin' anecdotes?

We've played a lot of CoC before, mostly scenarios of our own devising - this'll be the first large book campaign.

Probably going to be taking along fresh investigators, but was thinking about giving them experience packages so they aren't total mythos novices.

Also, thoughts on converting to 7th ed, or not worth the bother?

Other urls found in this thread:

willsfamily.org/games/madness/
cthulhureborn.wordpress.com/uncollected/geedunk-prop-mirror/
blasphemoustomes.com/2016/03/01/episode-73-the-good-friends-dissect-cthulhu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mountains is about revealing Mythos, you don't need prior knowledge.

It's a tough one.

7th is great. POW is no longer The CoC attribute. Success at a cost, primary characteristics in d100, ... It's all little changes, but they makes the game better. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

willsfamily.org/games/madness/

cthulhureborn.wordpress.com/uncollected/geedunk-prop-mirror/

Nice, many thanks!

Be squamous and cyclopean and congeries and you'll be fine.

>7th is great
I don't know anything about 7th, what makes it better than 6th and below? From what little I've heard it sounds like the first big change to the system. I only really know BRP myself so I don't know all the little things that make CoC unique like you saying POW is "The CoC attribute"

>Replying to someone from 5 hours ago
Hope I get a response.

You shall.

7th is still fully in line with all previous editions. True, they made more changes than usually. But it's not a big change, just lots of little ones. It's all things you will know as optional rules from BRP. CoC is pretty simple in BRP terms, nothing like Runequest.

I like the little changes they made. I think they make a lot of sense and mostly serve to make the game more accessible, more coherent and comprehensive, and more balanced.

If you really want details then listen to this
blasphemoustomes.com/2016/03/01/episode-73-the-good-friends-dissect-cthulhu/

Homework instead of spoon feeding me?

But in serious before listening to this I am curious as to the effects of having stats be % instead of 3-18 like traditional, and how they are generated.

x5

bet you feel dumb now

Ah, so it is just officially just roll your stats, x5 to get the percentage and write that down? Then it IS a much smaller change then I thought, it is literally just writing down what is used for a check anyway.

Not really. Just had a question and it was answered. I thought it was used differently.

POW is used for sanity, magic points, and luck. Add EDU for skill points and you're covered.

7th moves primary characteristics around a bit. POW is a little less important. You now derive a Build stat instead of using SIZ for combat mods.

CoC is a game that is being playtested for 30 years. It keeps getting better. Editions are not marketing ploys to get everyone to buy the new book. They keep everything fully compatible, so they have to actually make it good for it to sell. And they do.

Are they forward compatible? I was a Horror on the Orient Express backer and I haven't read through my books yet but I think I remember reading somewhere that they "upgraded" to 7e. I don't own CoC 7e and it wasn't out when the box set of Horror on the Orient Express was shipped.

I don't see how it could even be an issue.

It's BRP. It all depends on the GM, no matter what edition. Every challenge has to be matched with pacing, difficulty, level of detail, and attached stakes to fit the scene. It's not one of those prebalanced games where a combat rating tells you if you're being fair to your players. YOU tell the story, the mechanics just give you tools.

Now if you try to tighten a nut with a hammer, you will run into some issues. But if you just play it by ear then editions are a complete non issue.

Sounds good to me, thanks! I tried CoC once. Did The Haunting. Ended up with the PI just burning down the house and the player quit because "Call of Cthulhu is no fun because you just can't win."

Horror needs willing participants. You can't force it on a party of characters generated to dominate with combat and level up mythos lore. CoC has no problem running that game, you just have to take out the deadly, there are ways. But many fans will lose all respect when they see you doing this. Me among them. For pure Pulp heroes SotC is much better.

I wouldn't want to do that either. I just decided that CoC is nothing I would get to play with that player (and probably never get to play because I'd be the only one willing to run it but I don't think I can run horror very well).

Play Dread. It's fun for all ages and it really helps you get better at pacing horror games.