EDH/Commander General

Fuck Artifacts Edition

>RESOURCES

mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

manabasecrafter.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

CARD SEARCHING

gatherer.wizards.com/
>Official search site. Current for all sets.

magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface

What artifact destruction do you use for EDH?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10050660
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oona-deck-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>muh spirit of the game

EDH fags are the worst

who are you quoting?

posting generals to get the ball rolling

Just pondering, how many of you people often lend decks to other players who have none when you play?

I routinely play with friends where only myself and one other person of us actually have decks, so we end up sharing the same pool of decks between ourselves

Most of us here hate "spirit of EDH" whining. Nothing should be sacred. Give me Ruination, Armageddon, Null Rod...

My LGS playgroup was arguing over best mulligan style, so I wanted to see what edh general thought

Feel free to vote below

strawpoll.me/10050660

Also, do you think the new conspiracy set will have anything for us edh players?

That's my life. My play group only has 3 slightly edited commander 13 precons and that's it. 60-card is way better. They've started building and aren't hate decking so we have 10 decks between 3.5 players.

>most of us
never presume to speak for others

Airdrop Condor goblin tribal sounds fun. I don't play Pauper Commander but it's probably refreshing for people to play a goblin deck that's not just Goblin Warchief.

Anyway here are mine.

>strawpoll.me/10050660
I can presume to have read previous threads and judged their average demeanor.

>Straw poll quoted like an idiot.

Or just ignore me, bah.

I recently acquired one of these motherfuckers. What would be the best way to use it?

>impractical but game ending commander
>giant meatstick in a kruphix eldrazi mana-dump
>tutor-fodder for a BUG cheat-drop setup
>generic end-game creature in a monoblue deck

>What artifact destruction do you use for EDH?
Right now I use Krosan grip, unravel the Aether and reclamation sage since I play Marath although in my playgroup I'm usually more worried about enchantments.

Well considering the first one gave EDH Brago, Grenzo, Marchesa, Muzzio, Selvala and all of the Will of the Council cards as well as the dethrone mechanic it's a pretty safe bet there's gonna be some nice EDH cards in there

honestly the most fun I've had is when we play games using only one player has built. From my experience a person's decks are surprisingly balanced against each other.

I just hate it when someone casts Maelstrom Wanderer and oops there way into a game winning board state.

At least other commanders have to dig a little for their combo pieces

Of course it will, It wouldn't be that great if it were only good for drafts.

>Whats good my EDH brothers?

Just play something more op to beat them?

as a guy who's trying to build more EDH decks after getting into it from the C15 preconsI really appreciate the lads who lend their own decks
Being able to experience the different playstyles is pretty fun

Hey I got in the same way, feel no shame man

Alright I was thinking about making a Volrath deck. Any super secret tech I should know about? I already have a Drana deck that I'm going to take apart and pretty much turn it into Volrath.

Cram him inside any blue deck, he will wait in the shadows for you to get a 3 hour long game that ends in salt.

Is it a good idea to buy the pre-constructed commander decks if you have no magic cards?

I was thinking of buying the 2013 and 2015 commander decks.

Meren from the 2015 product was great and most of the 2014 decks are quite solid and fun

Who is the most fun voltron commander?

TORTURED EXISTENCE

yes, its much easier and really boosts your collection size, buying singles can be cheaper but if you want to play magic for a long time getting 100 good quality newly printed cards new condition cards matters. Ive seen old lim duls vaults and they dont have a lot of cardboard strength left in them compared to my 2013 one.

I was thinking of buying 10 decks. It's cheaper that way and I like playing different things and using new cards. Seem like a good idea?

there isn't one, voltron sucks

helmsmasher

i like Uril. Bear Umbra+Aggravated Assult=win

>10 decks
that's a little ambitious, I'd say buy a few precons and try out some budget lists online.

Bruna, you will sit there soamming enchantments on weenies, then cast your commander amd swing.

Cromat.

Excellent plan, I think he'd draw too much aggro if anyone saw me tutor him into the graveyard or if he was sitting in my hand. I think he has good synergy with elvish piper, but we'll see how it goes. Thanks user!

i wanna hop on the gitrog meme, what land based cards are essential, besides the obvious crucible of worlds/life from the loam?

I would also advise that you choose actively before you cast him if you want to make people discard or if you draw, he rarely surives long enough to do both to the whole table.

cabal coffers and urborg, tomb of yawgmoth are the obvious ones
strip mine/wasteland and all of its friends get easy spots

It strikes me as a red-herring. Either my opponent will experience the salt, or the game will be resolved and he'll have little net impact. Giving him hexproof would be disgusting, same with shroud or indestructible. I thought the optimal timing would be:
>flash him during the endstep of the turn before mine
>snag the card draw and the discard on at least one guy
>pray for some evasion in the 7 cards he nets me

Last thread I got zero response for any help with the Oona deck I want to build. Is she really not that good in EDH? Is BU really not that good in EDH?

Any help is appreciated.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oona-deck-1/

I'm pretty sure she's only really used as a dump for infinite mana in the command zone. faeries don't really have enough lords to make a tribal deck run as far as I'm aware.

Basalt Monolith so you can be a huge piece of shit with Rings and Oona?

You either go degenerate infinite mana +tutor oona, or you go fairie tribal.

I like the latter much more

There are just enough really, (more than scarecrows for sure,) and they all work well together.

Why do you like the latter more?

>look at basalt monolith a few days ago when originally building this deck
eh, that's ok I guess, don't really get why it's popular.
>see your post
OOOOOOooooooohhhhh. yes, that's happening.

I'm just not a fan of tutoring, personally. One or two tutors is fine, max. Any more I dislike. I don't think it's unfair, by any means. Just my opinion. And idk infinite mana oona is like playing against oloro pillowfort, you've seen it one too many times.

I was looking into a Faerie deck a while ago, and I still might make one with Wydwen, I love the flavor of a faerie darting in and out of the battlefield dodging removal and such, but obviously she doesn't play well with swords and such. I ended up with a list full of little ticks of damage and some discard, like the UB counter noncreature and they lose life.

Ah I think I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the advice.

Wydwen is awesome, but I gotta have Oona be the commander. And yeah something I notice is that the faeries is that while they're pretty weak their abilities are what counts. At this point I feel like the deck may have to rely on heavy control enchantments while faeries mess with things. still not sure.

I feel like you should probably be able to something with Carnival of Souls, but I'm not sure what it is.

hmm, I suppose that would go well with Bitterblossom but I'm already losing life because of that. If the deck was bent more towards population creation that card would probably be more useful.

My Sidisi brother from a different mother. I just added Traverse the Ulvenwald to my own list and can confirm that its bonkers. Any new finds of your own?

I just noticed almost all my generals are watermarked too. Curse you, Xenagos.

I always wondered what decision making is involved for Wizards to decide whether or not to watermark certain cards.

watermarks are for when there are guilds/clans in a set

>tfw pulled a foil Crux of Fate.

The foil itself is sick, and there's a watermark that's only there as foil.

Holy shit, are you us?

I have been brewing for but here. Think I have a pretty solid idea. Anyone here play him and have a decklist I can look at? I will post mine here in a bit.

Do you ever encounter the problem where due to many decks having green you have to go out of the way to buy more green cards?

Mimeoplasm

my friend plays an ooona deck that just revolves around exiling everything, with the ocasional exile matters cards

I see, that's where mine is headed then it looks like. I felt it was strange with so many exile cards but then again I'm not used to running BU. Thanks for the heads up.

>10
Why?
I would strongly propose buying a few and then spending a bit extra on each deck to improve it. Meren can be very impressive at $70.

I have no magic cards at all. I like trying new decks and playing with different cards. I thought about improving one deck but I think I might get bored of it and would rather spend the money at first to get a wide collection of different decks.

I don't really know which one I like to play. I want the cards but it seems expensive. I can get the 10 decks for $300 for 1000 cards.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.

So I'm building spooky Karador, but I don't know enough spooky cards to throw in that can be useful. Does Veeky Forums know of any?

I have two precons and I'm so indecisive I haven't edited either of them only because I don't know which direction to go in. All the commanders they contain are just so neat.

All spooky decks need a fog machine

That's a subtheme of the deck. Got him, Kami of False Hope, Arachnogenesis, batwing Broom, Fog, Darkness, Holy Day, gonna be fun.

I need to get this and put it in my Meren, I don't know why I haven't yet. I'll probably put it in my Trostani too.

Just finished my Onakke deck and I have a feeling it's going to be terrible.

What are the key cards to build around this nigga?

fucking loads of artifact mana, GREAT WHALE, strionic resonator, reality acid, lightning greaves. etc.

Get ready for loads of butthurt, because time walk is pretty OP.

Most people prefer time walk over time stretch because of the low mana cost?

Duplicant, Phyrexian Ingester, Strionic Resonator, Augury Owl, Lavinia of the Tenth, Mulldrifter, Peregrine Drake, Solemn Simulacrum, Stonehorn Dignitary, Sun Titan, Wall of Omens, Basalt Monolith, Fireshrieker and Battle Mastery, Contagion Engine, Spine of Ish Sah, Act of Authority, Traveler's Cloak, Peregrine Drake, various cantripping artifacts and auras.

Floodgate is pretty saucy tech.

Any ideas?

War Barge for an extra spicy kick to the opponents nuts.

What does Veeky Forums reckon as the best extort type general? Just sit back, durdle, and tax the shit out of people

Likewise, what are some good wincons for a deck like this? Non-infinite, not just exsanguinate for shitloads

Always wanted to make a deck like this, such a contrast to my aggressive smackdown stuff

Oloro

So I may have bought/traded for a bunch of pillowfort stuff (Norn's Annex, Sphere of Safety, Ghostly Prison, Wrath of God, Day of Judgement stuff like that) before I settled on building Brago. But somehow I don't think those cards go well with him. Does brago stax do well with stuff like that? Post good Brago lists, I need ideas!

>There are still plebs who post their commanders without actual pictures of the decks

100% yes. They're one of the few preconstructed deck products that are well made at all, with any cards of value in them.

It's how I started. It introduced me to mechanics and strategies I didn't know about. I'd see an awesome card like Gisela, and then look at Innistrad block for cards that might have synergy with her. I don't think I could have gotten into commander without a precon to ease me into it.

it's different for everyone, but actually having a deck that is fun and isn't completely worthless out of the box is very helpful, and just the construction of the deck itself teaches you how to build an EDH deck from scratch

An image with 800 cards in it isn't exactly useful.

>Chancellor of the Spires goes infinite off of my Rite of Replication it put in graveyard at beginning of the game
Ow

It's better than a white background with some gatherer images and cringe worthy text.

It really isn't.

Unless the image is huge, you wouldn't be able to read all the cards. If you can't read the cards, there's no point to having all the cards pictured.

A brief synopsis of the deck is fine. if it gets people interested, they'll ask for the list,

You don't need to show every card, just put it in a stack with the commander on top face up like everyone who posts actual pictures in this thread.

Which Commander will have me hated off the table the fastest? Because I'll build and play around that one.

But what's the difference then?
the images online are higher quality and more easily read.

Iona.
That card will put a target on your head and people will be trying to kill you by turn 5.

For extra hate, drop a Luminarch Ascension turn 2 and watch everyone come together to get you out of the game.

What is Veeky Forums's thoughts on the Ravnica bounce lands? I realize I use them in most of my decks but I don;pt really like them and am trying to move them all out.

99% of the time they are fucking awful.

I think they're great. You can tap the land for mana, then bounce it back, saving tempo. Much better than the Karoo lands.

They're really good because they allow you to keep hands that have less lands and not get behind on mana. They also have nice synergy with burgeoning and lands with etb abilties

I think it depends on your meta. They've done well for me before, but my group is also not against land destruction. Thankfully, Acidic Slime usually has better targets, but it has happened. I've also seen them get bounced.

Here's a spicy one.
>3 mana shatterstorm

>What does Veeky Forums reckon as the best extort type general? Just sit back, durdle, and tax the shit out of people
Karlov, actually. He wants extort because it's awesome with him. He also serves as the core wincon, since he beats people to death using the stolen lifegain. It's pretty sweet.

Dumb question, but does this count mana abilities? I know sometimes those abilities are exempt from some cards.

I use the R/W and W/B in my Shu Yun, with Amulet of Vigor and Scrylands as the ETB target

been fucked by them multiple times, but usually they work for me